28 Apr 2005 06:42:23
Boat ID

In addition to the ongoing response to the Salvage Association's report
currently in the offing, as many UK readers of rsr will probably note,
boat registration numbers will now be compulsory on the Tideway by the
end of May.

Where the requirement stays quiet is what are the penalties for not
having a clearly displayed number?

Whilst my club will arrange all its boats to be identifiable, it may be
necessary to enforce more 'stick' than 'carrot' when it comes to a
number of scullers (all with private boats) who may be difficult to pin
down on this.

And what happens if they disregard a club/ARA requirement and go out
sculling without a number. Will the club or individual fall foul of the
rules and how will anybody know where they are from?

BTW - i have seen a couple who boat in singles from their waterside
garden on the Tideway and possibly are not members of a club - how will
they be legislated for?

Martin Carr

28 Apr 2005 16:38:39
mpruscoe
Re: Boat ID

martin123@carr12331.freeserve.co.uk wrote:
> [snip]
> Whilst my club will arrange all its boats to be identifiable, it may be
> necessary to enforce more 'stick' than 'carrot' when it comes to a
> number of scullers (all with private boats) who may be difficult to pin
> down on this.

We haven't had meeting of our management committee since the notice came
out but I suspect that all private sculls in our boathouse will be have
to be numbered by the date given or their owners will be given notice to
remove their boats. We will be giving them an opportunity to get in on
the mass ordering of numbers that we'll be doing rather than having to
do it themselves.

However, if it's members of your management committee who are reluctant
to number their own boats...

> And what happens if they disregard a club/ARA requirement and go out
> sculling without a number. Will the club or individual fall foul of the
> rules and how will anybody know where they are from?

I doubt that the clubs will be able to escape any responsibility for
this as they have a duty of care over people boating from their
premises. Then you've just got to deal with the clubs that can't
bothered. I've got a feeling that TRRC are going to have to exercise
their powers of enforcement.

28 Apr 2005 08:46:43
Re: Boat ID

We are 'suposed' to have numbers on boats already on the cam, along
with a tax disk type sticker from the Conservators of the Cam that has
an annual registration fee depending on boat type.

I think most private sculls (and many club boats) only have the sticker
and don't bother with the number.

Some people don't even bother with the sticker, but there's a =A3300
fine if you get caught without one.

28 Apr 2005 17:11:07
Jon Anderson
Re: Boat ID

andy.nield@ps.ge.com wrote:
> We are 'suposed' to have numbers on boats already on the cam, along
> with a tax disk type sticker from the Conservators of the Cam that has
> an annual registration fee depending on boat type.

We can't use our conservators number though as it's a digit too many. I
wonder what will happen to colleges who are already mandated to have 2
letter college codes on their boats and follow this strictly.

Jon

--
Durge: jon@durge.org http://users.durge.org/~jon/
OnStream: accounts@rowing.org.uk http://www.rowing.org.uk/

[ All views expressed are personal unless otherwise stated ]

28 Apr 2005 10:50:41
oarsman
Re: Boat ID

Just curios, how much is the tax? Is it annual? Do you have to also
have to pay for the registration numbers? Are there any states in the
US that have this type of requirement?

28 Apr 2005 18:13:50
Andy Nield
Re: Boat ID

oarsman wrote:
> Just curios, how much is the tax? Is it annual? Do you have to also
> have to pay for the registration numbers? Are there any states in the
> US that have this type of requirement?

For my scull it is 27 a year, no charge for the number.

There's charges for category of boat, and then a multiplier for category
of owner.

http://www.camconservators.org.uk/xregistration.htm

28 Apr 2005 21:32:25
liz
Re: Boat ID

It's 22 for the upper thames these days (above teddington lock) regardless
of boat type.
The Brtitish Canoe Union have negotiated a deal with the Environment agency
to cover their members at a reduced rate - i'm suggesting the TRRC look at
doing something similar for rowers - after all you can only row in one boat
at a time and it's hardly a wonder that a lot of clubs don't bother
registering all their boats when a lot of them sit on the rack gathering
dust for 95% of the year...

"Andy Nield" <andy.nield@ps.ge.com > wrote in message
> oarsman wrote:
>> Just curios, how much is the tax? Is it annual? Do you have to also
>> have to pay for the registration numbers? Are there any states in the
>> US that have this type of requirement?
>>

> For my scull it is 27 a year, no charge for the number.
>
> There's charges for category of boat, and then a multiplier for category
> of owner.
>
> http://www.camconservators.org.uk/xregistration.htm

28 Apr 2005 21:31:04
Christopher Anton
Re: Boat ID

"Jon Anderson" <jon@durge.org > wrote in message
. I
> wonder what will happen to colleges who are already mandated to have 2
> letter college codes on their boats and follow this strictly.

They will fall foul of the new regulations. We had a long discussion on this
and it was decided that it was best to have a uniform approach.

Of course what it does mean is that if they go to a tideway event and get
spotted at control commission they won't be allowed to boat.