31 Aug 2006 19:52:44
hobbyfan@yahoo.com
JC looks at: Celebrity Duets

I watched most of the premiere of Celebrity Duets on Tuesday night,
largely curious as to how former WWE superstar Chris Jericho might
fare. As it turns out, none too well.

Jericho was eliminated after the first night of competition, and a case
could be made where he could've held on for another week. However, it
is the opinion of this writer that the producers wanted all three
female contestants, actresses Lucy Lawless & Lea Thompson and gymnast
Carly Patterson, to advance past the first week to even out the field.
Let's take a look at the field. Bear in mind I missed the first 20
minutes or so.

Jai Rodriguez (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) was a revelation. Paired
with R & B legend Gladys Knight, Rodriguez absolutely nailed "Since I
Fell For You". Then, he teamed with Michelle Williams of Destiny's
Child for that girl group's hit, "Say My Name". Talk about chemistry!!
Right now, he is at the top, and should stay there the rest of the way.
The competition is his to lose.

Nipping at his heels are Cheech Marin (ex-Nash Bridges) and Alfonso
Ribiero (ex-Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). Marin drew Peter Frampton for a
partner in the first round and covered Frampton's "Baby I Love Your
Way", but then a country duet with Randy Travis brought out the best in
ol' Cheech. Whodathunk? Ribiero, whom some might remember first burst
out on Broadway in "The Tap Dance Kid" 20 years ago, drew James Ingram
to cover the latter's early 80's hit, "Yah Mo Be There", and despite
the criticism of judge David Foster, had plenty of energy to spare.

Jericho? He was teamed with country singer Lee Ann Womack in the first
round for a soft ballad, "Menechino County Line", then with Frampton to
cover Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)". Going
from one extreme to the other with no middle ground sealed Jericho's
fate, although admittedly Patterson was a little weaker.

How JC rates the field after week 1:

1. Jai Rodriguez
2. Alfonso Ribiero
3. Cheech Marin
4. Hal Sparks
5. Lea Thompson
6. Lucy Lawless
7. Carly Patterson

As I said, it's Rodriguez's to lose. It would've helped if they had
time for a little more full disclosure. Jericho & Sparks both have band
gigs on the side, and it's well known that Jericho's group, Fozzy,
hasn't even landed a gold record in 3 tries. I think coming out of this
we'll see Rodriguez land a record deal, which would make him the envy
of the Fab 5.

Maybe if they do a second season, would they invite the most notorious
of golden throats, William Shatner?

J. C. Gilbert

31 Aug 2006 19:59:36
rafiki
Re: JC looks at: Celebrity Duets

hobbyfan@yahoo.com wrote:
> I watched most of the premiere of Celebrity Duets on Tuesday night,
> largely curious as to how former WWE superstar Chris Jericho might
> fare. As it turns out, none too well.
>
> Jericho was eliminated after the first night of competition, and a case
> could be made where he could've held on for another week. However, it
> is the opinion of this writer that the producers wanted all three
> female contestants, actresses Lucy Lawless & Lea Thompson and gymnast
> Carly Patterson, to advance past the first week to even out the field.
> Let's take a look at the field. Bear in mind I missed the first 20
> minutes or so.
>
> Jai Rodriguez (Queer Eye for the Straight Guy) was a revelation. Paired
> with R & B legend Gladys Knight, Rodriguez absolutely nailed "Since I
> Fell For You". Then, he teamed with Michelle Williams of Destiny's
> Child for that girl group's hit, "Say My Name". Talk about chemistry!!
> Right now, he is at the top, and should stay there the rest of the way.
> The competition is his to lose.
>
> Nipping at his heels are Cheech Marin (ex-Nash Bridges) and Alfonso
> Ribiero (ex-Fresh Prince of Bel-Air). Marin drew Peter Frampton for a
> partner in the first round and covered Frampton's "Baby I Love Your
> Way", but then a country duet with Randy Travis brought out the best in
> ol' Cheech. Whodathunk? Ribiero, whom some might remember first burst
> out on Broadway in "The Tap Dance Kid" 20 years ago, drew James Ingram
> to cover the latter's early 80's hit, "Yah Mo Be There", and despite
> the criticism of judge David Foster, had plenty of energy to spare.
>
> Jericho? He was teamed with country singer Lee Ann Womack in the first
> round for a soft ballad, "Menechino County Line", then with Frampton to
> cover Stevie Wonder's "Signed, Sealed, Delivered (I'm Yours)". Going
> from one extreme to the other with no middle ground sealed Jericho's
> fate, although admittedly Patterson was a little weaker.
>
> How JC rates the field after week 1:
>
> 1. Jai Rodriguez
> 2. Alfonso Ribiero
> 3. Cheech Marin
> 4. Hal Sparks
> 5. Lea Thompson
> 6. Lucy Lawless
> 7. Carly Patterson
>
> As I said, it's Rodriguez's to lose. It would've helped if they had
> time for a little more full disclosure. Jericho & Sparks both have band
> gigs on the side, and it's well known that Jericho's group, Fozzy,
> hasn't even landed a gold record in 3 tries. I think coming out of this
> we'll see Rodriguez land a record deal, which would make him the envy
> of the Fab 5.
>
> Maybe if they do a second season, would they invite the most notorious
> of golden throats, William Shatner?
>
> J. C. Gilbert

You have a really low standard for being entertained don't you?

--rafiki

Thank you drive through.