31 Dec 2005 20:41:16
unforgiven 33
paintball for martial artists?

i still hold a second degree black belt in taekwondo and used to teach.
when i was active (many years ago) there was a debate over the use of
paintball guns for training self defense. well, it's years later and the
markers are sooo much better does anyone here think they could be used
for self defense training (i.e. gun disarms)? i knew some guys who used
to shot at one another to practice "dodging bullets" go ahead, laugh, i
think they were stupid too. but seriously, using a new style paintball
pistol, does anyone think the disarm training would be more realistic or
involving?

31 Dec 2005 22:57:42
Hardtime
Re: paintball for martial artists?

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:41:16 -0500, ChoongJung@webtv.net (unforgiven
33) wrote:

>i still hold a second degree black belt in taekwondo and used to teach.
>when i was active (many years ago) there was a debate over the use of
>paintball guns for training self defense. well, it's years later and the
>markers are sooo much better does anyone here think they could be used
>for self defense training (i.e. gun disarms)? i knew some guys who used
>to shot at one another to practice "dodging bullets" go ahead, laugh, i
>think they were stupid too. but seriously, using a new style paintball
>pistol, does anyone think the disarm training would be more realistic or
>involving?

This:
http://www.hotshotpaintball.com/merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TAG-TAC8

Would probably make a good paint pistol for this. It is a little
pricey but gives you a little more realism than most paint pistols. If
you check the link below my name you will find my "Core ZX3" pistol
and see that it is a little bit bulky to be compared to a real pistol.

Hardtime

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

01 Jan 2006 12:05:15
Dan Martin
Re: paintball for martial artists?

I would use airsoft, more like a real pistol, and you only need shop gogs.
And yes, I think it's a great idea.

Cheers

Dan

"unforgiven 33" <ChoongJung@webtv.net > wrote in message
> i still hold a second degree black belt in taekwondo and used to teach.
> when i was active (many years ago) there was a debate over the use of
> paintball guns for training self defense. well, it's years later and the
> markers are sooo much better does anyone here think they could be used
> for self defense training (i.e. gun disarms)? i knew some guys who used
> to shot at one another to practice "dodging bullets" go ahead, laugh, i
> think they were stupid too. but seriously, using a new style paintball
> pistol, does anyone think the disarm training would be more realistic or
> involving?

01 Jan 2006 17:05:45
Mark M
Re: paintball for martial artists?

Excellent Choice! Don't listen to the crap about entry level marker, too
heavy, not fast enought, blah...blah ... blah...

The 98 is reliable, highly upgradeable (still relaible even after
uprgading). We play rec, woods and speedball and the 98 is effective in all
those situations. It only takes one ball!

I have seen enough of all the pregame tinkering that goes on with any of the
high end markers, Ions, Impulse, etc. and the hassles to get it working
right and keep it working (pro and semi pro players). With any Tippman,
just chrono and Play, no hassles!

Enjoy!
Markm70

"unforgiven 33" <ChoongJung@webtv.net > wrote in message
>i still hold a second degree black belt in taekwondo and used to teach.
> when i was active (many years ago) there was a debate over the use of
> paintball guns for training self defense. well, it's years later and the
> markers are sooo much better does anyone here think they could be used
> for self defense training (i.e. gun disarms)? i knew some guys who used
> to shot at one another to practice "dodging bullets" go ahead, laugh, i
> think they were stupid too. but seriously, using a new style paintball
> pistol, does anyone think the disarm training would be more realistic or
> involving?

01 Jan 2006 09:11:17
Tony Sr.
Re: paintball for martial artists?

Mark, you forgot to mention that the tippman will lose when up against equal
players and the other player with the matrix etc. will put it to tippy 90%
of the time. sorry.. ;-)
"Mark M" <Markm70@earthlink.netNOSPAM > wrote in message
> Excellent Choice! Don't listen to the crap about entry level marker, too
> heavy, not fast enought, blah...blah ... blah...
>
> The 98 is reliable, highly upgradeable (still relaible even after
> uprgading). We play rec, woods and speedball and the 98 is effective in
all
> those situations. It only takes one ball!
>
> I have seen enough of all the pregame tinkering that goes on with any of
the
> high end markers, Ions, Impulse, etc. and the hassles to get it working
> right and keep it working (pro and semi pro players). With any Tippman,
> just chrono and Play, no hassles!
>
> Enjoy!
> Markm70
>

> "unforgiven 33" <ChoongJung@webtv.net> wrote in message
> >i still hold a second degree black belt in taekwondo and used to teach.
> > when i was active (many years ago) there was a debate over the use of
> > paintball guns for training self defense. well, it's years later and the
> > markers are sooo much better does anyone here think they could be used
> > for self defense training (i.e. gun disarms)? i knew some guys who used
> > to shot at one another to practice "dodging bullets" go ahead, laugh, i
> > think they were stupid too. but seriously, using a new style paintball
> > pistol, does anyone think the disarm training would be more realistic or
> > involving?

01 Jan 2006 20:59:04
Mark M
Re: paintball for martial artists?

Opps... wrong post, My bad
"Tony Sr." <amargio1@cox.net > wrote in message
> Mark, you forgot to mention that the tippman will lose when up against
> equal
> players and the other player with the matrix etc. will put it to tippy 90%
> of the time. sorry.. ;-)
> "Mark M" <Markm70@earthlink.netNOSPAM> wrote in message
>> Excellent Choice! Don't listen to the crap about entry level marker, too
>> heavy, not fast enought, blah...blah ... blah...
>>
>> The 98 is reliable, highly upgradeable (still relaible even after
>> uprgading). We play rec, woods and speedball and the 98 is effective in
> all
>> those situations. It only takes one ball!
>>
>> I have seen enough of all the pregame tinkering that goes on with any of
> the
>> high end markers, Ions, Impulse, etc. and the hassles to get it working
>> right and keep it working (pro and semi pro players). With any Tippman,
>> just chrono and Play, no hassles!
>>
>> Enjoy!
>> Markm70
>>

>> "unforgiven 33" <ChoongJung@webtv.net> wrote in message
>> >i still hold a second degree black belt in taekwondo and used to teach.
>> > when i was active (many years ago) there was a debate over the use of
>> > paintball guns for training self defense. well, it's years later and
>> > the
>> > markers are sooo much better does anyone here think they could be used
>> > for self defense training (i.e. gun disarms)? i knew some guys who used
>> > to shot at one another to practice "dodging bullets" go ahead, laugh, i
>> > think they were stupid too. but seriously, using a new style paintball
>> > pistol, does anyone think the disarm training would be more realistic
>> > or
>> > involving?

01 Jan 2006 23:30:27

On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:11:17 -0800, "Tony Sr." <amargio1@cox.net >
wrote:

>Mark, you forgot to mention that the tippman will lose when up against equal
>players and the other player with the matrix etc. will put it to tippy 90%
>of the time. sorry.. ;-)

Hey Tony,
This is for the most part true but do not forget that Tippmanns can
now be configured to go the same speed and sometimes more that a lot
of the other markers out there. I would much rather take a Tippmann
out into the woods to play a little rec ball than take a $1000 plus
marker out there to get tore/messed up.

My A-5 blows 21bps with no problems at all. Yes it has a WAS board
and has been tweaked pretty good. Remember though that is one of the
factors with the A-5's and Customs, they can be tweaked very nicely
and easily. They can also be made to look like a MilSim like a bunch
of woodsballers like to do.

As far as tourneys go they have caps and everyone is restricted to the
same speeds (normally 15bps) and such (W/Ramping or W/O Ramping). So
everything is getting evened up pretty much and it is turning into
mainly the use of tactics and talent.

Hardtime

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

01 Jan 2006 23:20:12
Tony Sr.
Re: paintball for martial artists?

HT...1st, happy new year to you and yours.
now your post is one guy talking about how it is for him...great if that
works for you...the real world has TIPPMAN EFFECT, this is 15 guys with the
most tricked out tippmans on the planet. now they play x-ball and do pretty
good. keep in mind this is not the tippman you can also have...this is a
factory blueprinted marker built for the factory tippman team. all I know is
for 2005 my son's team aftermath with proto's played tippman at least 10
games and whipped there azz'z each and every time to go on to win world cup.
we will see what happens this year, maybe some changes for both teams.
PS: don't you think with ALL the money tippman has that they would step up
to the plate and offer sponsorships to the likes of Dynasty or any other pro
team. Sorry Hardtime but even TIPPMAN knows there own product. It simply is
not a tourny marker and is not meant to be.
as for taking my expensive marker in the woods i would do that anytime if i
liked woods. ;-)
"Hardtime" <hardtime11@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:11:17 -0800, "Tony Sr." <amargio1@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Mark, you forgot to mention that the tippman will lose when up against
equal
> >players and the other player with the matrix etc. will put it to tippy
90%
> >of the time. sorry.. ;-)
>
> Hey Tony,
> This is for the most part true but do not forget that Tippmanns can
> now be configured to go the same speed and sometimes more that a lot
> of the other markers out there. I would much rather take a Tippmann
> out into the woods to play a little rec ball than take a $1000 plus
> marker out there to get tore/messed up.
>
> My A-5 blows 21bps with no problems at all. Yes it has a WAS board
> and has been tweaked pretty good. Remember though that is one of the
> factors with the A-5's and Customs, they can be tweaked very nicely
> and easily. They can also be made to look like a MilSim like a bunch
> of woodsballers like to do.
>
> As far as tourneys go they have caps and everyone is restricted to the
> same speeds (normally 15bps) and such (W/Ramping or W/O Ramping). So
> everything is getting evened up pretty much and it is turning into
> mainly the use of tactics and talent.
>

> Hardtime
>
> http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

01 Jan 2006 23:23:22
Tony Sr.
Re: paintball for martial artists?

PS: hardtime i do agree with the playing field being more equal with a lot
of the new rules.
> HT...1st, happy new year to you and yours.
> now your post is one guy talking about how it is for him...great if that
> works for you...the real world has TIPPMAN EFFECT, this is 15 guys with
the
> most tricked out tippmans on the planet. now they play x-ball and do
pretty
> good. keep in mind this is not the tippman you can also have...this is a
> factory blueprinted marker built for the factory tippman team. all I know
is
> for 2005 my son's team aftermath with proto's played tippman at least 10
> games and whipped there azz'z each and every time to go on to win world
cup.
> we will see what happens this year, maybe some changes for both teams.
> PS: don't you think with ALL the money tippman has that they would step up
> to the plate and offer sponsorships to the likes of Dynasty or any other
pro
> team. Sorry Hardtime but even TIPPMAN knows there own product. It simply
is
> not a tourny marker and is not meant to be.
> as for taking my expensive marker in the woods i would do that anytime if
> liked woods. ;-)
> "Hardtime" <hardtime11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Sun, 1 Jan 2006 09:11:17 -0800, "Tony Sr." <amargio1@cox.net>
> > wrote:
> >
> > >Mark, you forgot to mention that the tippman will lose when up against
> equal
> > >players and the other player with the matrix etc. will put it to tippy
> 90%
> > >of the time. sorry.. ;-)
> >
> > Hey Tony,
> > This is for the most part true but do not forget that Tippmanns can
> > now be configured to go the same speed and sometimes more that a lot
> > of the other markers out there. I would much rather take a Tippmann
> > out into the woods to play a little rec ball than take a $1000 plus
> > marker out there to get tore/messed up.
> >
> > My A-5 blows 21bps with no problems at all. Yes it has a WAS board
> > and has been tweaked pretty good. Remember though that is one of the
> > factors with the A-5's and Customs, they can be tweaked very nicely
> > and easily. They can also be made to look like a MilSim like a bunch
> > of woodsballers like to do.
> >
> > As far as tourneys go they have caps and everyone is restricted to the
> > same speeds (normally 15bps) and such (W/Ramping or W/O Ramping). So
> > everything is getting evened up pretty much and it is turning into
> > mainly the use of tactics and talent.
> >

> > Hardtime
> >
> > http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

02 Jan 2006 07:13:11
Matt Moriearty
Re: paintball for martial artists?

> Hey Tony,
> This is for the most part true but do not forget that Tippmanns can
> now be configured to go the same speed and sometimes more that a lot
> of the other markers out there. I would much rather take a Tippmann
> out into the woods to play a little rec ball than take a $1000 plus
> marker out there to get tore/messed up.
>
> My A-5 blows 21bps with no problems at all. Yes it has a WAS board
> and has been tweaked pretty good. Remember though that is one of the
> factors with the A-5's and Customs, they can be tweaked very nicely
> and easily. They can also be made to look like a MilSim like a bunch
> of woodsballers like to do.
>
> As far as tourneys go they have caps and everyone is restricted to the
> same speeds (normally 15bps) and such (W/Ramping or W/O Ramping). So
> everything is getting evened up pretty much and it is turning into
> mainly the use of tactics and talent.
>

> Hardtime
>
> http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

In other words, Tippmans with the right tweaks can shoot at the same
usable ROF as anything else--*usable*, not cheating. :P

--
Please note that due to cuts in the budget, the light at the end of the
tunnel has been disconnected.