17 Jul 2006 21:50:46
Dave Lyon
mostly OT: laser tag

I wanted to give you guys an update on my laser tag adventure.

Last weekend we had our first major event. There was a carnival in our small
town, so we purchased a booth and handed out free tickets to play laser tag
at a nearby location. It looks like about 75% of the tickets were redeemed,
which I think was pretty good since they had to drive about 3 miles to get
there.

We played an elimination game that would be very similar to paintball. I
made a set of bunkers from hinges and plywood. Each team started at opposite
ends of the field which was about 200 feet long. The guns kept track of
scoring. Each player was allowed 10 "hits" before they were out. When they
were out, they could run back to their starting spots and be respawned into
the game. Most of the games had a 20 minute time limit. After the limit
expired, all the guns shut themselves down. After the 20 minute games, the
players all got score sheets to see who won, how many hit points they
received, and how many they delt out.

The response seemed positive, and we even had a few families sign up for
private parties. The beauty of laser tag is that private parties are safely
held at the customer's house, and it's pretty affordable since I don't have
to buy paint, or upkeep a building.

I have another major event planned for this fall. We should actually make
some money at it. If it works like I'm hoping, I'll be setting up my
scenario tournament next summer some time.

If you want, I've got a few pictures set up on my website.
www.lazerencounter.com Feel free to critique the site, but don't be mad if I
ignore you. I know it's crude, and it's not nearly completed yet. I just
posted it cause I thought some of you were interested in my progress. BTW,
the little boy in the green shirt is my youngest, the girl in the "drama"
shirt is my third, and the kid in the D-day shirt is my 2nd oldest. :)

17 Jul 2006 15:30:26
Big Habeeb
Re: mostly OT: laser tag

Dave,
Actually it's a pretty cool site, and looks like it'd be alot of
fun...other than the mongoloid looking head-piece ;)

As a photon-bred kid, it would be nice to see some of the old laser tag
type places pop up again...there was a photon near my house that I
LOVED as a kid, and was sad to see it go. Is this part of a franchise,
or just some guns that you found online and decided to roll with?

Big Habeeb (a.k.a. Mitch)
Comin soon to a town near you!

Dave Lyon wrote:
> I wanted to give you guys an update on my laser tag adventure.
>
> Last weekend we had our first major event. There was a carnival in our small
> town, so we purchased a booth and handed out free tickets to play laser tag
> at a nearby location. It looks like about 75% of the tickets were redeemed,
> which I think was pretty good since they had to drive about 3 miles to get
> there.
>
> We played an elimination game that would be very similar to paintball. I
> made a set of bunkers from hinges and plywood. Each team started at opposite
> ends of the field which was about 200 feet long. The guns kept track of
> scoring. Each player was allowed 10 "hits" before they were out. When they
> were out, they could run back to their starting spots and be respawned into
> the game. Most of the games had a 20 minute time limit. After the limit
> expired, all the guns shut themselves down. After the 20 minute games, the
> players all got score sheets to see who won, how many hit points they
> received, and how many they delt out.
>
> The response seemed positive, and we even had a few families sign up for
> private parties. The beauty of laser tag is that private parties are safely
> held at the customer's house, and it's pretty affordable since I don't have
> to buy paint, or upkeep a building.
>
> I have another major event planned for this fall. We should actually make
> some money at it. If it works like I'm hoping, I'll be setting up my
> scenario tournament next summer some time.
>
> If you want, I've got a few pictures set up on my website.
> www.lazerencounter.com Feel free to critique the site, but don't be mad if I
> ignore you. I know it's crude, and it's not nearly completed yet. I just
> posted it cause I thought some of you were interested in my progress. BTW,
> the little boy in the green shirt is my youngest, the girl in the "drama"
> shirt is my third, and the kid in the D-day shirt is my 2nd oldest. :)

18 Jul 2006 06:13:40
mad8
Re: mostly OT: laser tag

theres an ultrazone somewhere near my house... nowhere near as fun as
paintball (10 second respawn time rather than eliminations)
Big Habeeb wrote:
> Dave,
> Actually it's a pretty cool site, and looks like it'd be alot of
> fun...other than the mongoloid looking head-piece ;)
>
> As a photon-bred kid, it would be nice to see some of the old laser tag
> type places pop up again...there was a photon near my house that I
> LOVED as a kid, and was sad to see it go. Is this part of a franchise,
> or just some guns that you found online and decided to roll with?
>
> Big Habeeb (a.k.a. Mitch)
> Comin soon to a town near you!
>
> Dave Lyon wrote:
> > I wanted to give you guys an update on my laser tag adventure.
> >
> > Last weekend we had our first major event. There was a carnival in our small
> > town, so we purchased a booth and handed out free tickets to play laser tag
> > at a nearby location. It looks like about 75% of the tickets were redeemed,
> > which I think was pretty good since they had to drive about 3 miles to get
> > there.
> >
> > We played an elimination game that would be very similar to paintball. I
> > made a set of bunkers from hinges and plywood. Each team started at opposite
> > ends of the field which was about 200 feet long. The guns kept track of
> > scoring. Each player was allowed 10 "hits" before they were out. When they
> > were out, they could run back to their starting spots and be respawned into
> > the game. Most of the games had a 20 minute time limit. After the limit
> > expired, all the guns shut themselves down. After the 20 minute games, the
> > players all got score sheets to see who won, how many hit points they
> > received, and how many they delt out.
> >
> > The response seemed positive, and we even had a few families sign up for
> > private parties. The beauty of laser tag is that private parties are safely
> > held at the customer's house, and it's pretty affordable since I don't have
> > to buy paint, or upkeep a building.
> >
> > I have another major event planned for this fall. We should actually make
> > some money at it. If it works like I'm hoping, I'll be setting up my
> > scenario tournament next summer some time.
> >
> > If you want, I've got a few pictures set up on my website.
> > www.lazerencounter.com Feel free to critique the site, but don't be mad if I
> > ignore you. I know it's crude, and it's not nearly completed yet. I just
> > posted it cause I thought some of you were interested in my progress. BTW,
> > the little boy in the green shirt is my youngest, the girl in the "drama"
> > shirt is my third, and the kid in the D-day shirt is my 2nd oldest. :)

18 Jul 2006 13:56:32
Dave Lyon
Re: mostly OT: laser tag

"Big Habeeb" <mitch.brenner@gmail.com > wrote in message
> Dave,
> Actually it's a pretty cool site, and looks like it'd be alot of
> fun...other than the mongoloid looking head-piece ;)
>
> As a photon-bred kid, it would be nice to see some of the old laser tag
> type places pop up again...there was a photon near my house that I
> LOVED as a kid, and was sad to see it go. Is this part of a franchise,
> or just some guns that you found online and decided to roll with?

Nope, not a franchise. Laser tag is still very large in Europe and
Australia. I'm hoping there's still some interest here.

I've got some ideas that I intend to try out in the future. There is a huge
cave not too far from my house. In a small part of it is a haunted house
that they only use about 1 month a year. I'm hoping they'll let me sublease
it from them for the other 11. I would like to set up a game in the haunted
cave that would be similar to Halo. There would be 1 good guy that makes his
way through the maze killing robotic "aliens" and live ones too. Medic boxes
and extra ammo would be scattered throughout to help him along. Smoke
machines, black lights, strobe lights and cool music should already be
available.

18 Jul 2006 14:03:28
Dave Lyon
Re: mostly OT: laser tag

"mad8" <mad8vskillz@gmail.com > wrote in message
> theres an ultrazone somewhere near my house... nowhere near as fun as
> paintball (10 second respawn time rather than eliminations)

Laser tag seems to appeal better to younger kids and girls than paintball.
Anybody that doesn't care for the pain thinks laser tag is great. Anybody
that is after the adrenalin fix seems to prefer paintball.

My equipment has a couple of advantages over paintball gear that I hope I
can take advantage of. One is range. I can shoot you from 750 feet. My
accuracy is as straight as a laser in any weather, and the guns can be
programmed to simulate real weapons. And of course, there are no paintballs
to buy, no dangerous gasses, and no mess to deal with.

The coolest part is that I can charge nearly what it cost to play paintball,
and pocket all of it. I don't have to give 1/2 to the gas man and the paint
supplier. And so far I don't even have a building to worry about.

18 Jul 2006 09:42:00
mad8
Re: mostly OT: laser tag

you capitalist pig you :)
that's actually a really sweet deal then.

Dave Lyon wrote:
> The coolest part is that I can charge nearly what it cost to play paintball,
> and pocket all of it. I don't have to give 1/2 to the gas man and the paint
> supplier. And so far I don't even have a building to worry about.

18 Jul 2006 16:56:09

> you capitalist pig you :)
> that's actually a really sweet deal then.

Well, I do have a very large capital investment to cover though. :(

21 Jul 2006 07:53:50
Volt
Re: mostly OT: laser tag

Dave Lyon wrote:

> If you want, I've got a few pictures set up on my website.

mmm...tacos...

--

Volt
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or