22 Jan 2005 21:25:11
DeathX
Skirmish Scenario Question

Hey has anyone ever played any scenario games at Skirmish in Jim Thorpe PA?
I have never played any scenarios yet at all. I was considering playing the
upcoming Stalingrad game on March 12th and I'd like to know what to expect.

23 Jan 2005 07:22:40
Jank
Re: Skirmish Scenario Question

"DeathX" <crawford@netcarrier.com > wrote in

> Hey has anyone ever played any scenario games at Skirmish in Jim
> Thorpe PA? I have never played any scenarios yet at all. I was
> considering playing the upcoming Stalingrad game on March 12th and I'd
> like to know what to expect.

Skirmish is really fun, but wear some really comfortable shoes as you
will be doing a lot of walking. The place is huge, so if there are not
enough people, they tend to close off a bunch of fields, and you might
feel like you're going to the same fields over and over.

There are a lot of people who are die-hard scenario players who go there
for the whole scenario aspect, and then there are the people who go there
just to shoot something, to really rip on their electro. the latter of
the two being the ones most likely to "improvise" their own rules.
Don't think I'm down on the electro crowd, I just traded in my Shocker
SFT for an Angel Speed 05. but there are people at the scenario that will
wipe shots, or use something other than semi-auto, or keep firing even
though you can see the paint breaking on them. They all have this
attitude that they don't care about the game or the rules, they just want
to shoot something. It's like they haven't been able to play all year
and finally they can let loose. You'll see what I mean. I have a hard
time trying not to let it get the best of me.
I think it's silly to wipe, especailly in a scenario game as you just
really get into the theme of the game, but trying not to take it too
seriously, just ignore the wipers, or try to get a ref involved if they
are nearby. Your objectives are usually to occupy one of the fields and
keep the other team from taking it. It can be fun to take a small
platoon and do some "sniper-sweeping" of stragglers through the fields,
which are all separated by thick rhododendron bushes. You will see a lot
of people dress up to play the part, and some people even play in wacky
costumes. One kid at the world record game dressed up as a Banana and
won the costume contest (got a tippmann A-5). Which reminds me, there
are usually raffle prizes that make the trip worth the entry fee (my
friend won the grand prize at a field in Clymer, NY; a 2003 autococker, a
WGP hat and WGP Jersey). The raffle is just pure luck though, one
ticket entry per person, so your luck is as good as anyone else's.

I've played Skirmish twice, for scenario games. The first was run by
Wayne Dollack, who in my opinion runs a great scenario game, lots of
specialty troops (ie. medics, demolitions experts, spies, and so forth)
and very organized into groups doing specific missions. The second game
I went to was the world record game (which failed hitting the record by a
whole lot, because it was supposed to rain a lot that weekend, which it
didn't) which had less of a theme and was run by Skirmish themselves.
That game was only less organized I think because some of the people in
charge didn't have that much experience, which, although noticeable in
the beginning of the game, didn't ruin the experience too much. Also,
the world record game didn't have much of a theme, so it ended up just
being a big melee. It was a 2-day scenario and on the second day the 2
teams took turns defending/attacking the Tippmann castle, which was worth
the trip and entry fee alone. The contests were run very professionally,
even the "notorious" wet t-shirt contest didn't get too out of hand
(their underwear stayed on). I try to go there once a year and meet up
with old friends and relatives.

Expect some minor cheating, expect some weird costumes, expect to have
sore feet at the end of the day, expect to dump a case of paint trying to
seige the Tippmann Castle, and definately expect to have a lot of fun.

I'll probably coordinate my vacation schedule with my relatives this
spring and go there next time Wayne Dollack is doing a scenario there,
although the Stalingrad scenario seems pretty cool, but short, which can
be a good thing as a first time scenario for you. I've only gone to 48
hour scenario games.
Check http://www.waynes-world.comfor Wayne-Dollack's schedule. Too
bad his home base of operations is in Ocala, Florida, so he doesn't get
up north until summer time. But he usually does at least one 24 or 48-
hour scenario game at skirmish. His games are definately worth checking
out if there's one near you.

have fun,

--jank

24 Jan 2005 16:26:52
Big Habeeb
Re: Skirmish Scenario Question

Expect a lot of players and a fun day of paintball.
Skirmish and EMR both do EXCELLENT scenario / big games.

Mitch
The Big Habeeb

26 Jan 2005 22:50:42
Peter Pan
Re: Skirmish Scenario Question

IMHO SKIRMISH USA use to be one of the best places to place. They had a
great staff who enforced the rules of the game and you were pretty much
guaranteed a good time. I always looked forward to a game there.

Something happened over the years. I began to notice most of the refs during
a scenario game had a real i dont give a shit attitude.. and more and more
problems with the staff developed.

At the worlds largest game they would have 1 both with roughly 10 chrony
set up for 800 + to adjust thier guns. Once the game started, they shut it
down and said they would spot check players on the field; leaving houndreds
of players and their guns unchecked. In my opinion, the care more about
geting your money then they do about the sport.

Go to EMR in New Milford where they treat everyone like old friends, and put
on a much better game. Skirmish USA lost thier edge long ago.

27 Jan 2005 04:06:25
Mike Smith
Re: Skirmish Scenario Question

On Wed, 26 Jan 2005 22:50:42 -0500, "Peter Pan" <P-Pan@Neverland.com >
wrote:

>Go to EMR in New Milford where they treat everyone like old friends, and put
>on a much better game. Skirmish USA lost thier edge long ago.

I attended the Twin Towers scenario at EMR and had a blast. I highly
recommend EMR, despite the fact that all their bases are uphill!

Mike Smith