19 Jul 2006 14:52:57
Dave Lyon
OT: help with my website

I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
with different computers and browsers.

On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's cheesy
and annoying, but I like it.

I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my old
computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of my
video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html

19 Jul 2006 08:01:10
Tony Sr.
Re: help with my website

WHEN CAN I PLAY ? looks tight and good on my putor...speed is fine...hey
Dave i shot you and you couldn't wipe lol
"Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com > wrote in message
> I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
> with different computers and browsers.
>
> On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's
cheesy
> and annoying, but I like it.
>
> I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
> issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my
old
> computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of
my
> video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
> http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html

19 Jul 2006 15:21:42
Dave Lyon
Re: help with my website

"Tony Sr." <amargio1@cox.net > wrote in message
> WHEN CAN I PLAY ? looks tight and good on my putor...speed is fine...hey
> Dave i shot you and you couldn't wipe lol

And you can't play on either. :)

You can schedule a party any time you want. Of course there may be a slight
traveling fee for you. :)

19 Jul 2006 10:25:00
RayC
Re: OT: help with my website

Dave Lyon wrote:
> I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
> with different computers and browsers.
>
> On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's cheesy
> and annoying, but I like it.
>
> I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
> issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my old
> computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of my
> video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
> http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html

I use Firefox and have a 128 MB card so it seems to work just fine for me.

One note of caution, though. Unless you have a license to use the
music, you are probably going to be sued by each of the companies that
owns the music you are using (with the exception of the midi page). It
is illegal to use actual copyrighted movie sound tracks (Star Wars,
Rocky, T2, etc.) in a public venue like this.

Just my $.02

--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

19 Jul 2006 18:01:57
Dave Lyon
Re: OT: help with my website

> I use Firefox and have a 128 MB card so it seems to work just fine for me.
>
> One note of caution, though. Unless you have a license to use the
> music, you are probably going to be sued by each of the companies that
> owns the music you are using (with the exception of the midi page). It
> is illegal to use actual copyrighted movie sound tracks (Star Wars,
> Rocky, T2, etc.) in a public venue like this.

Do you really think they'll take the time to go after a little nobody like
me?
Is there any chance I could afford to license them? Do you know who to
contact?

19 Jul 2006 15:33:01
Hardtime
Re: OT: help with my website

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:52:57 GMT, "Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com >
wrote:

>I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
>with different computers and browsers.
>
>On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's cheesy
>and annoying, but I like it.
>
>I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
>issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my old
>computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of my
>video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
>http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html

It appears to be a little bit fast and especially slow for slow
readers. It works with the following browsers as noted:

Avant 10.2 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
Firefox 1.5.0.4 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
Netscape 8.1 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
Opera 9.0 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
Slim Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
BeOS Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
Internet Explorer 7.0 Works good a little grainy on the
scroll/roll

The grainy appearance appears to be the background of the scroll in
the java. When the wording (Yellow/gold scrolled over it the wording
looked rough). The JAVA I use it JAVA 2, version 1.5.0

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

19 Jul 2006 15:40:23
Hardtime
Re: OT: help with my website

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 15:33:01 -0400, Hardtime <hardtime11@hotmail.com >
wrote:

>On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:52:57 GMT, "Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com>
>wrote:
>
>>I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
>>with different computers and browsers.
>>
>>On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's cheesy
>>and annoying, but I like it.
>>
>>I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
>>issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my old
>>computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of my
>>video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
>>http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html
>>
>It appears to be a little bit fast and especially slow for slow
>readers. It works with the following browsers as noted:
>
>Avant 10.2 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>Firefox 1.5.0.4 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>Netscape 8.1 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>Opera 9.0 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>Slim Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>BeOS Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>Internet Explorer 7.0 Works good a little grainy on the
>scroll/roll
>
>The grainy appearance appears to be the background of the scroll in
>the java. When the wording (Yellow/gold scrolled over it the wording
>looked rough). The JAVA I use it JAVA 2, version 1.5.0
>

>(`._Hardtime_.)
>
>http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

I forgot to say what I am using. I have a 256mb ATI AGP8x on one
monitor and a 128mb Nvidia PCI on another. The ATI is of course
clearer overall but they both show the JAVA in the page about the
same.

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

19 Jul 2006 20:16:38
Volt
Re: OT: help with my website

Dave Lyon wrote:
> I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
> with different computers and browsers.
>
> On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's cheesy
> and annoying, but I like it.
>
> I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
> issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my old
> computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of my
> video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
> http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html

You may want to consider using flash to do that instead of a java app.
It would make things consistant no matter what comp or grfx card. Using
a little program like Coffee Cup Firestarter or Swish would make things
easier for ya.

--

Volt
I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or

19 Jul 2006 20:39:51
Dave Lyon
Re: OT: help with my website

"Volt" <nothanks@mr.spammer > wrote in message
> Dave Lyon wrote:
> > I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
> > with different computers and browsers.
> >
> > On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's
cheesy
> > and annoying, but I like it.
> >
> > I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a
timing
> > issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my
old
> > computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of
my
> > video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
> > http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html
> >

> You may want to consider using flash to do that instead of a java app.
> It would make things consistant no matter what comp or grfx card. Using
> a little program like Coffee Cup Firestarter or Swish would make things
> easier for ya.
>
> --

Those would be easier for somebody that doesn't even know what they are?
Remember guys, I'm a tool maker, not a programmer. If you don't keep it
simple, I can't handle it. What's the learning curve on the above, and which
one is better for somebody that just wants to learn enough to get by?

19 Jul 2006 17:00:14
Jeff Goslin
Re: help with my website

Well, might want to give John Williams a ring to see if he minds you using
his music... ;)

The music didn't start with the scrolling of the text. You want to
coordinate those two, if you keep the music. Speed wise, it was "relatively
quick", but very readable.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

"Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com > wrote in message
> I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
> with different computers and browsers.
>
> On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's
> cheesy
> and annoying, but I like it.
>
> I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
> issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my
> old
> computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of
> my
> video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
> http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html

19 Jul 2006 17:03:03
Jeff Goslin
Re: OT: help with my website

"Hardtime" <hardtime11@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:52:57 GMT, "Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com>
> wrote:
>
>>I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
>>with different computers and browsers.
>>
>>On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's
>>cheesy
>>and annoying, but I like it.
>>
>>I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
>>issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my
>>old
>>computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of
>>my
>>video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
>>http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html
>>
> It appears to be a little bit fast and especially slow for slow
> readers. It works with the following browsers as noted:
>
> Avant 10.2 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
> Firefox 1.5.0.4 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
> Netscape 8.1 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
> Opera 9.0 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
> Slim Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
> BeOS Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
> Internet Explorer 7.0 Works good a little grainy on the
> scroll/roll

Yes, yes, we get it, you're like a puter god or something, your puter dick
is just gargantuan, gotit. Put it away, now, pinky, you're frightening the
children and making the rest of us jealous.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Tom Greening
Re: OT: help with my website

Dave Lyon wrote:
> "Volt" <nothanks@mr.spammer> wrote in message
>> Dave Lyon wrote:
>>> I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
>>> with different computers and browsers.
>>>
>>> On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's
> cheesy
>>> and annoying, but I like it.

The text is fine from a user standpoint but you might want to consider
just losing the music. I can't speak for others but I know if I end up
at a site with music, that doesn't at least have a feature to turn it
off, I bale immediately. There is nothing more annoying to me when
browsing a site than having to listen to the designers favorite tunes,
which generally don't mesh with MY favorites. Besides, if I want to
listen to music I'll fire up itunes or something. When I browse I want
info, not music.

19 Jul 2006 20:28:54
Hardtime
Re: OT: help with my website

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:03:03 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
<autockr@comcast.net > wrote:

>"Hardtime" <hardtime11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 14:52:57 GMT, "Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>>>I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
>>>with different computers and browsers.
>>>
>>>On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's
>>>cheesy
>>>and annoying, but I like it.
>>>
>>>I've looked at in on different computers, and I think I may have a timing
>>>issues. On my workstation, it scrolls so fast I can't read it, but on my
>>>old
>>>computer it is painfully slow. I think it may be related to the speed of
>>>my
>>>video card. Would you guys take a look at let me know what you think?
>>>http://www.lazerencounter.com/about.html
>>>
>> It appears to be a little bit fast and especially slow for slow
>> readers. It works with the following browsers as noted:
>>
>> Avant 10.2 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>> Firefox 1.5.0.4 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>> Netscape 8.1 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>> Opera 9.0 Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>> Slim Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>> BeOS Browser Works good a little grainy on the scroll/roll
>> Internet Explorer 7.0 Works good a little grainy on the
>> scroll/roll
>
>Yes, yes, we get it, you're like a puter god or something, your puter dick
>is just gargantuan, gotit. Put it away, now, pinky, you're frightening the
>children and making the rest of us jealous.

I was just covering it all in one mailing so he did not have to read a
bunch of others or wonder what if. <g >

I am not a computer wiz by any means I just am very versed in the use
of and what you can do with them. :-)

Also all of the above browsers are free with the exception of the
Opera browser which I really enjoy with the instant zoom and tracking
incorporated without any plugins.

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

19 Jul 2006 17:53:02
RayC
Re: OT: help with my website

Dave Lyon wrote:

> Do you really think they'll take the time to go after a little nobody like
> me?
> Is there any chance I could afford to license them? Do you know who to
> contact?

It is really hard to say. Sometimes these guys get a wild hair and go
after little kids for putting pictures, cartoons and music on their
sites. That is why the MIDI format is so popular. It is ALMOST like
the original but just enough different to protect the site. Your
mission impossible music is 4/4 time while the original theme was 5/4
time (extremely hard to play!). So, while it has the feel, it is
different enough to argue that it ain't the same!

To get a license, you need to contact BMI, ASCAP, Sony Music or whoever
owns the rights to the songs you use. Is it worth it for your site?
Probably not.

Just my $.02

--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

19 Jul 2006 21:12:20

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:03:03 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
> <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
>>Yes, yes, we get it, you're like a puter god or something, your puter dick
>>is just gargantuan, gotit. Put it away, now, pinky, you're frightening
>>the
>>children and making the rest of us jealous.
>
> I was just covering it all in one mailing so he did not have to read a
> bunch of others or wonder what if. <g>

Perhaps you've heard of the American National Standards Institute? Yeah,
HTML has an ANSI standard. That means that any web page is likely to be
viewed by any browser on a given machine the exact same way.

The most important question of the day is this: Why on god's green earth
are you running 57 different browsers? Pick one, you commitaphobe. ;)

> I am not a computer wiz by any means I just am very versed in the use
> of and what you can do with them. :-)

Generally speaking, only a computer geek has active versions of that many
browsers on his various incarnations of computer hardware, operating systems
and configurations. Furthermore, only a computer geek tends to give version
numbers so he can impress other computer geeks with his geekiness at having
provided the version numbers so other geeks can marvel and say "oh, you're
only running version BLAH well I'm running FLEH." Finally, computer geeks
are the only ones who tend to actually try things on various platforms,
assuming that an absolutely 100% thoroughly complete answer is the only
answer that will do, not realizing, in their complete social ineptitude,
that a simple "yeah, it looked good to me", would have MORE than sufficed.

> Also all of the above browsers are free with the exception of the
> Opera browser which I really enjoy with the instant zoom and tracking
> incorporated without any plugins.

If you enjoy Opera so much, why not dump the others? Why? I'll tell you
why. Because you're a technogeek WANNABE. You're the guy who knows enough
to be dangerous, flings around buzzwords, and impresses everyone who doesn't
know any better, and every now and then, fools some retard into letting you
touch his computer. Unfortunately, when you plop it down on the bench, you
can do little more than unplug things and plug them back in, hopefully where
you found them, but if not, you can always claim that his computer was
totally fried when you got it, and he should take it to someone who's
getting paid to do that sort of thing, because it's far too far gone for you
to spend your FREE time on, after all.

You have an elaborate series of progressively better PC's, networked
together with large amounts of overpowered hardware, cisco routers,
networking throughout your home, both wired and wireless, you have old PC's
taking up space, but are still turned on, for no other reason than to
provide you with things to replace every now and then. You use one computer
primarily, for all of your everyday needs, and when people ask you what you
have in your home, you puff out your chest and say "I have a 16 station
network running 3 different operating systems simultaneously, running SQL
Server, Oracle *AND* MySQL, I've got ISA Server and Exchange running on two
separate boxes(you use the word "boxes" because it's what the other computer
geeks call their computers), and my firewall has never been breached by
hackers!"

Of course, this is all to distract the layperson from the reality that is
practically inescapable by any REAL computer geek, like myself. The most
pressure you put on your CPU is downloading the PORN YOU WATCH ON IT!!!!

*grin* Just giving you a Hardtime.

Of course, a *REAL* computer geek, like me, has one monster computer that is
NOT used to run games at all. When my CPU is crankin, it's because I'm
compiling something or I'm index tuning on SQL Server. Well, sometimes I'm
watching porn, I'm not going to lie to you. ;)

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Hardtime
Re: OT: help with my website

On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:12:20 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
<autockr@comcast.net > wrote:

>"Hardtime" <hardtime11@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 17:03:03 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
>> <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
>>>Yes, yes, we get it, you're like a puter god or something, your puter dick
>>>is just gargantuan, gotit. Put it away, now, pinky, you're frightening
>>>the
>>>children and making the rest of us jealous.
>>
>> I was just covering it all in one mailing so he did not have to read a
>> bunch of others or wonder what if. <g>
>
>Perhaps you've heard of the American National Standards Institute? Yeah,
>HTML has an ANSI standard. That means that any web page is likely to be
>viewed by any browser on a given machine the exact same way.
>
>The most important question of the day is this: Why on god's green earth
>are you running 57 different browsers? Pick one, you commitaphobe. ;)

There may be and may not be a standard but not all browsers react the
same and if you look at it seriously a lot of sites are geared/written
only for Microsoft as a way to knock the others out.

>> I am not a computer wiz by any means I just am very versed in the use
>> of and what you can do with them. :-)
>
>Generally speaking, only a computer geek has active versions of that many
>browsers on his various incarnations of computer hardware, operating systems
>and configurations. Furthermore, only a computer geek tends to give version
>numbers so he can impress other computer geeks with his geekiness at having
>provided the version numbers so other geeks can marvel and say "oh, you're
>only running version BLAH well I'm running FLEH." Finally, computer geeks
>are the only ones who tend to actually try things on various platforms,
>assuming that an absolutely 100% thoroughly complete answer is the only
>answer that will do, not realizing, in their complete social ineptitude,
>that a simple "yeah, it looked good to me", would have MORE than sufficed.

I gave version numbers because other versions in fact operate a little
differently. I am actually a little behind on the builds with the
FireFox and Opera.

>> Also all of the above browsers are free with the exception of the
>> Opera browser which I really enjoy with the instant zoom and tracking
>> incorporated without any plugins.
>
>If you enjoy Opera so much, why not dump the others? Why? I'll tell you
>why. Because you're a technogeek WANNABE. You're the guy who knows enough
>to be dangerous, flings around buzzwords, and impresses everyone who doesn't
>know any better, and every now and then, fools some retard into letting you
>touch his computer. Unfortunately, when you plop it down on the bench, you
>can do little more than unplug things and plug them back in, hopefully where
>you found them, but if not, you can always claim that his computer was
>totally fried when you got it, and he should take it to someone who's
>getting paid to do that sort of thing, because it's far too far gone for you
>to spend your FREE time on, after all.

I think that I talk pretty much straight forward and do not use words
of "New Word Study for the Day" unlike others in this NG. ;-)

>You have an elaborate series of progressively better PC's, networked
>together with large amounts of overpowered hardware, cisco routers,
>networking throughout your home, both wired and wireless, you have old PC's
>taking up space, but are still turned on, for no other reason than to
>provide you with things to replace every now and then. You use one computer
>primarily, for all of your everyday needs, and when people ask you what you
>have in your home, you puff out your chest and say "I have a 16 station
>network running 3 different operating systems simultaneously, running SQL
>Server, Oracle *AND* MySQL, I've got ISA Server and Exchange running on two
>separate boxes(you use the word "boxes" because it's what the other computer
>geeks call their computers), and my firewall has never been breached by
>hackers!"

Is that what you have running in your house? LOL
I do not. I only have one computer for each member and one for a
guest and experimentation. I would not let anyone know what type of
network I have. That is a no-no if you want to be more hacker
unfriendly.

>Of course, this is all to distract the layperson from the reality that is
>practically inescapable by any REAL computer geek, like myself. The most
>pressure you put on your CPU is downloading the PORN YOU WATCH ON IT!!!!

I honestly do not watch that stuff.

>*grin* Just giving you a Hardtime.

I know that. ;-)

>Of course, a *REAL* computer geek, like me, has one monster computer that is
>NOT used to run games at all. When my CPU is crankin, it's because I'm
>compiling something or I'm index tuning on SQL Server. Well, sometimes I'm
>watching porn, I'm not going to lie to you. ;)

That is why I have the older (extra) computer for guests (or sons
friends) as I do not run any games at all on my main machine. It does
spend a lot of time rendering large size picture files that I touch up
for my parents and the family (Genealogy ). I love playing with Bryce
software and the likes where you can vector into a 3-D picture and
play around as I am a Sci-Fi type person. I do not and have never
been mistaken via appearance as a computer geek. I am more of a
worldly person that is also fairly fluent at PC's and Mac's of most
types. It is my hobby and I relate what I call "Common Sense" to
computers and it tends to work for me.

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

20 Jul 2006 01:13:23

> On Wed, 19 Jul 2006 21:12:20 -0400, "Jeff Goslin"
> <autockr@comcast.net> wrote:
>>The most important question of the day is this: Why on god's green earth
>>are you running 57 different browsers? Pick one, you commitaphobe. ;)
>
> There may be and may not be a standard but not all browsers react the
> same and if you look at it seriously a lot of sites are geared/written
> only for Microsoft as a way to knock the others out.

That was true at one point, but now, the standard has moved such that the
standard matches IE. If your browser doesn't support the basic
functionality that IE supports, it's considered non-standard. All of those
other ones essentially match IE. There is so little difference between the
presentations of them that comparing all of them is massive overkill.

> I gave version numbers because other versions in fact operate a little
> differently. I am actually a little behind on the builds with the
> FireFox and Opera.

The versions only matter if you are SIGNIFICANTLY behind in the build, which
any computer geek worth his salt would NOT be. What are you, 1 or 2 builds
behind the curve, a few days at most? Pfft... what kind of geek are you?
;)

> I think that I talk pretty much straight forward and do not use words
> of "New Word Study for the Day" unlike others in this NG. ;-)

It might shock you to hear this, but I speak exactly like I write.

> Is that what you have running in your house? LOL

Nope, 1 decently powerful PC. Whenever I upgrade, I pretty much toss the
last PC or give it to someone who can use it.

> I do not. I only have one computer for each member and one for a
> guest and experimentation. I would not let anyone know what type of
> network I have. That is a no-no if you want to be more hacker
> unfriendly.

Not fer nothin, but what hacker is going to want to break into the home
network of some guy? There's only two kinds of hackers, those in it for the
"cred" and those in it for the money. None of either if you breach the
network of a working stiff.

And, you might want to invest in a firewall. They're basically hackerproof
if you set em up right.

>>pressure you put on your CPU is downloading the PORN YOU WATCH ON IT!!!!
>
> I honestly do not watch that stuff.

Just like you don't masturbate.

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Matt Moriearty
Re: OT: help with my website

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> Just like you don't masturbate.

Ahem. Quoth:

90% of men admit to masturbating.
10% lie.

20 Jul 2006 07:14:09
Jeff Goslin
Re: OT: help with my website

"Matt Moriearty" <MathU41@tampabay.rr.com > wrote in message
> Jeff Goslin wrote:
>> Just like you don't masturbate.
>>

> Ahem. Quoth:
>
> 90% of men admit to masturbating.
> 10% lie.

Exactly. The boy says he doesn't watch porn. That puts him in the 10%.

--

"RayC" <ray@rayzplace.com > wrote in message
> Dave Lyon wrote:
> >
> > Do you really think they'll take the time to go after a little nobody
like
> > me?
> > Is there any chance I could afford to license them? Do you know who to
> > contact?
> >

> It is really hard to say. Sometimes these guys get a wild hair and go
> after little kids for putting pictures, cartoons and music on their
> sites. That is why the MIDI format is so popular. It is ALMOST like
> the original but just enough different to protect the site. Your
> mission impossible music is 4/4 time while the original theme was 5/4
> time (extremely hard to play!). So, while it has the feel, it is
> different enough to argue that it ain't the same!
>
> To get a license, you need to contact BMI, ASCAP, Sony Music or whoever
> owns the rights to the songs you use. Is it worth it for your site?
> Probably not.
>
> Just my $.02

Thanks Ray, I appreciate the advice.

How long have you been around RSP?

20 Jul 2006 16:54:55
Matt Moriearty
Re: OT: help with my website

Jeff Goslin wrote:
> Exactly. The boy says he doesn't watch porn. That puts him in the 10%.

It's possible he doesn't, if he's got a damn good wife and a great
imagination. Or he could have magazines--in which case not watching it
would be true on a technicality.

Still, *I* don't believe it. I'm thinking the wife or kids might see the
posts now and then and he's trying to cover himself. ;P

20 Jul 2006 10:26:05
pukindog
Re: OT: help with my website

Dave Lyon wrote:
> I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
> with different computers and browsers.
>
> On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's cheesy
> and annoying, but I like it.

gee whiz my computer at work must suck. I didn't see any scrolling text
or hear any music on the "about me" page.

Billy Goodman
www.pukindogspaintball.com

20 Jul 2006 10:33:45
pukindog
Re: OT: help with my website

Tom Greening wrote:

> The text is fine from a user standpoint but you might want to consider
> just losing the music. I can't speak for others but I know if I end up
> at a site with music, that doesn't at least have a feature to turn it
> off, I bale immediately. There is nothing more annoying to me when
> browsing a site than having to listen to the designers favorite tunes,
> which generally don't mesh with MY favorites. Besides, if I want to
> listen to music I'll fire up itunes or something. When I browse I want
> info, not music.

You know I kind of agree about that. Maybe I am just simple-minded, but
I find music, flash programming, etc. annoying when I am looking for
information about a product. I think if you are doing this for a
service oriented business, you should keep the site as simple, and easy
to use as possible. Visitors to business websites are probably already
interested in the product, or they wouldn't be there. Attention getting
or mood setting devices seem to me to be more distracting than
complimentary.

Billy Goodman
www.pukindogspaintball.com

20 Jul 2006 11:16:21
RayC
Re: OT: help with my website

Dave Lyon wrote:

> Thanks Ray, I appreciate the advice.
>
> How long have you been around RSP?

Only a short time. I started importing high pressure air compressors
last fall primarily for Maritime and SCUBA use and got inundated with
orders for Paintball machines. I came here to learn what I was getting
into with Paintball and LEARN I have!

--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

20 Jul 2006 18:35:40
Dave Lyon
Re: OT: help with my website

"pukindog" <pdscteam@aol.com > wrote in message

> Dave Lyon wrote:
> > I've been working on my web page some, and I need some input from people
> > with different computers and browsers.
> >
> > On the "about me" page, I added some scrolling text. Ya, I know it's
cheesy
> > and annoying, but I like it.
> >

> gee whiz my computer at work must suck. I didn't see any scrolling text
> or hear any music on the "about me" page.
>
> Billy Goodman
> www.pukindogspaintball.com

Maybe not. I just pulled all the music off my site except the midi file on
the welcome page. Without the star wars theme, the scrolling text just
wasn't the same, so I killed it too.

I thought about putting a line at the top asking the user to hum the theme
though. :)

20 Jul 2006 18:37:26

> Dave Lyon wrote:
>

> > Thanks Ray, I appreciate the advice.
> >
> > How long have you been around RSP?
> >

> Only a short time. I started importing high pressure air compressors
> last fall primarily for Maritime and SCUBA use and got inundated with
> orders for Paintball machines. I came here to learn what I was getting
> into with Paintball and LEARN I have!
>

> --

Oh, now I remember. Sorry, I didn't recognize you. :) Did you change your
hair or something? :)

20 Jul 2006 15:57:32

> Jeff Goslin wrote:
>> Exactly. The boy says he doesn't watch porn. That puts him in the 10%.
>>

> It's possible he doesn't, if he's got a damn good wife and a great
> imagination. Or he could have magazines--in which case not watching it
> would be true on a technicality.
>
> Still, *I* don't believe it. I'm thinking the wife or kids might see the
> posts now and then and he's trying to cover himself. ;P

A friend of mine did a research study on conformity and peer pressure.
Among the techniques used in the study was a questionaire, a very
specifically designed questionaire. The subject wasn't told how they were
being graded on the questionaire, ie they didn't know what the right answer
was. The questions were quite vague and meant to elicit information about
how closely a person conforms to what is expected of them, based on societal
expectations. These were thrown in between other random questions that
looked similar but were not so clearly defined in terms of "the correct
answer".

For example, one of the questions was "I never cheat on my taxes." Fully
98% of people when asked this question claimed this was true of them.
However, we know this to be a GROSS overestimation of reality, because IRS
Audits show a very different result, it is an astonishingly low number of
tax returns that can fully document and support all of the claims made on
tax returns(specifically as this relates to charitable donations). Thus,
when a person says "I never cheat on my taxes", it is VERY likely that they
are simply saying what they think they ought to say, what is expected of
them. They are conforming to their viewpoint of the expectations of
society.

Another one of the questions was the masturbation question. Just thought
you'd find that amusing.

--

> Maybe not. I just pulled all the music off my site except the midi file on
> the welcome page. Without the star wars theme, the scrolling text just
> wasn't the same, so I killed it too.
>
> I thought about putting a line at the top asking the user to hum the theme
> though. :)

If you ask me, that would be worth the trouble. It's what I did while I
couldn't hear the music(the music took a while to load up on my machine for
some reason).

"If you wouldn't mind humming the theme to Star Wars while you watch this,
it would go a LONG way to making the experience more worthwhile. Thanks!
The Management."

--

Dave Lyon wrote:

> Oh, now I remember. Sorry, I didn't recognize you. :) Did you change your
> hair or something? :)

I've lost a few pounds! Thanks for noticing!

--

Ray Contreras
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

20 Jul 2006 20:46:39
Dave Lyon
Re: OT: help with my website

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net > wrote in message
> "Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> > Maybe not. I just pulled all the music off my site except the midi file
on
> > the welcome page. Without the star wars theme, the scrolling text just
> > wasn't the same, so I killed it too.
> >
> > I thought about putting a line at the top asking the user to hum the
theme
> > though. :)
>
> If you ask me, that would be worth the trouble. It's what I did while I
> couldn't hear the music(the music took a while to load up on my machine
for
> some reason).
>
> "If you wouldn't mind humming the theme to Star Wars while you watch this,
> it would go a LONG way to making the experience more worthwhile. Thanks!
> The Management."

OK, maybe I'll put it back up tonight.

21 Jul 2006 07:47:05
Volt
Re: OT: help with my website

Dave Lyon wrote:

> Those would be easier for somebody that doesn't even know what they are?
> Remember guys, I'm a tool maker, not a programmer. If you don't keep it
> simple, I can't handle it. What's the learning curve on the above, and which
> one is better for somebody that just wants to learn enough to get by?

Both are pretty easy to use. Just download the trials and play around
with 'em. I really don't remember which would be easier as I haven't
used those in years now. They make the animations for you in the form
of a .swf file which you can add to the page. Just be sure to not over
do it with the stuff. Can make things a little cheesy. ;-)