07 Feb 2007 06:19:49
Mofaz
Holy War!

This morning I had this crazy idea for a scenario game. Why not start
a holy war? Of course, no physical harm will be done to anyone (i.e.,
death), only perhaps hurt feelings (e.g., "My religion is better than
yours because [insert reasons]"). You get the idea. Yes, it's not
politcally correct, but I'm sure many people wouldn't care and sign up
for it. There might be protests by those who don't see the satire or
perhaps lack a twisted sense of humor (poking fun at the human race's
stupidity), but wouldn't that be the best advertisement?

For the players protection police would be posted throughout the event
to prevent or defuse any tension, should any players take the issue
personally. Also, to keep the would-be protesters from getting out of
control.

Yes, it's a crazy idea, but in my mind it's no different than
celebrating other wars throughout our history.

07 Feb 2007 06:21:43
Mofaz
Re: Holy War!

Oh! Let's make matters worse by holding the even in the heart of
America's Bible Belt!

On Feb 7, 6:19 am, "Mofaz" <skyry...@cox.net > wrote:
> This morning I had this crazy idea for a scenario game. Why not start
> a holy war? Of course, no physical harm will be done to anyone (i.e.,
> death), only perhaps hurt feelings (e.g., "My religion is better than
> yours because [insert reasons]"). You get the idea. Yes, it's not
> politcally correct, but I'm sure many people wouldn't care and sign up
> for it. There might be protests by those who don't see the satire or
> perhaps lack a twisted sense of humor (poking fun at the human race's
> stupidity), but wouldn't that be the best advertisement?
>
> For the players protection police would be posted throughout the event
> to prevent or defuse any tension, should any players take the issue
> personally. Also, to keep the would-be protesters from getting out of
> control.
>
> Yes, it's a crazy idea, but in my mind it's no different than
> celebrating other wars throughout our history.

07 Feb 2007 06:23:45
Mofaz
Re: Holy War!

**Event, even.

On Feb 7, 6:21 am, "Mofaz" <skyry...@cox.net > wrote:
> Oh! Let's make matters worse by holding the **even** in the...

07 Feb 2007 09:54:33
Tom Greening
Re: Holy War!

Mofaz wrote:
> Oh! Let's make matters worse by holding the even in the heart of
> America's Bible Belt!

Personally I think you'd be opening up a whole can of worms that would
not be worth the effort. The problem in this country is that it's ok to
make fun of the majority but heaven (or religious paradise of your
choice) help you if you make fun of a minority in any way. Criticize
christians and most people nod their head in agreement. Criticize the
jews or muslims and you are the most horrible intolerant form of life on
earth. Tell a redneck joke and everyone gets a good laugh, rednecks
included. Even jews seem to be fairly good natured in this regard.
Tell a joke about blacks or muslims and again, you are an intolerant
racist bastard.

People seem to think racism only works in one direction, white to
everyone not white, but the big news flash that no one seems to get
(especially minorities) is that that road goes both directions. Listen
to most black activists and it's the white man this and the white man
that. Go have a predominantly white rally and start talking about the
black man this and the black man that and see how quick you end up on
the evening news as the local chapter of the KKK or something equally
distasteful.

Minorities scream about the inequities of the system and that everyone
should be treated fairly, yet instead of trying to fix the system they
just set up their own system that benefits them ONLY. United Negro
College Fund, Miss BLACK USA, etc. In my area there was the United
Black Elected Officials group (or words to such).

Start up ANY organization whose sole function is for the benefit of
whites and see how quick you get tared and feathered. United WHITE
Man's College Fund. See how long that flies.

Rant over (for now). It's early and the kid needs fed, the dog wants
out, and the wife is grouchy.

07 Feb 2007 07:07:45
pukindog
Re: Holy War!

On Feb 7, 8:19 am, "Mofaz" <skyry...@cox.net > wrote:
> This morning I had this crazy idea for a scenario game. Why not start
> a holy war? Of course, no physical harm will be done to anyone (i.e.,
> death), only perhaps hurt feelings (e.g., "My religion is better than
> yours because [insert reasons]"). You get the idea.

What if I have no religion? Can I still play?

Billy Goodman
www.pukindogspaintball.com

07 Feb 2007 15:44:17
Dave Lyon
Re: Holy War!

> What if I have no religion? Can I still play?
>
> Billy Goodman
> www.pukindogspaintball.com

Nope, sorry. You'll have to be converted first.

07 Feb 2007 11:36:14
Jeff Goslin
Re: Holy War!

"Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com > wrote in message

>> What if I have no religion? Can I still play?
>>
>> Billy Goodman
>> www.pukindogspaintball.com
>>

> Nope, sorry. You'll have to be converted first.

Can't I just be a C&E Catholic? You know, go to mass twice a year to keep
up appearances with the neighbors, but not really do anything remotely
religious?

--
Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info

Dave Lyon
Re: Holy War!

"Jeff Goslin" <autockr@comcast.net > wrote in message
> "Dave Lyon" <lct.products@mchsi.com> wrote in message
> >
> >> What if I have no religion? Can I still play?
> >>
> >> Billy Goodman
> >> www.pukindogspaintball.com
> >>

> > Nope, sorry. You'll have to be converted first.
>
> Can't I just be a C&E Catholic? You know, go to mass twice a year to keep
> up appearances with the neighbors, but not really do anything remotely
> religious?
>
> --
> Jeff Goslin - MCSD - www.goslin.info
> It's not a god complex when you're always right

That would put you in the vast majority. What fun would that be?

07 Feb 2007 09:35:16
Tony Sr.
Re: Holy War!

good post Tom...agree 100% !
"Tom Greening" <tgreening@yomama.com > wrote in message
> Mofaz wrote:
> > Oh! Let's make matters worse by holding the even in the heart of
> > America's Bible Belt!
> >

> Personally I think you'd be opening up a whole can of worms that would
> not be worth the effort. The problem in this country is that it's ok to
> make fun of the majority but heaven (or religious paradise of your
> choice) help you if you make fun of a minority in any way. Criticize
> christians and most people nod their head in agreement. Criticize the
> jews or muslims and you are the most horrible intolerant form of life on
> earth. Tell a redneck joke and everyone gets a good laugh, rednecks
> included. Even jews seem to be fairly good natured in this regard.
> Tell a joke about blacks or muslims and again, you are an intolerant
> racist bastard.
>

> People seem to think racism only works in one direction, white to
> everyone not white, but the big news flash that no one seems to get
> (especially minorities) is that that road goes both directions. Listen
> to most black activists and it's the white man this and the white man
> that. Go have a predominantly white rally and start talking about the
> black man this and the black man that and see how quick you end up on
> the evening news as the local chapter of the KKK or something equally
> distasteful.
>

> Minorities scream about the inequities of the system and that everyone
> should be treated fairly, yet instead of trying to fix the system they
> just set up their own system that benefits them ONLY. United Negro
> College Fund, Miss BLACK USA, etc. In my area there was the United
> Black Elected Officials group (or words to such).
>
> Start up ANY organization whose sole function is for the benefit of
> whites and see how quick you get tared and feathered. United WHITE
> Man's College Fund. See how long that flies.
>
> Rant over (for now). It's early and the kid needs fed, the dog wants
> out, and the wife is grouchy.

07 Feb 2007 17:05:27
Mofaz
Re: Holy War!

Of course you can still play. You would just have to pick a side (or
be chosen through a drawing to even out the teams).

On Feb 7, 7:07 am, "pukindog" <pdsct...@aol.com > wrote:
> On Feb 7, 8:19 am, "Mofaz" <skyry...@cox.net> wrote:
>
> > This morning I had this crazy idea for a scenario game. Why not start
> > a holy war? Of course, no physical harm will be done to anyone (i.e.,
> > death), only perhaps hurt feelings (e.g., "My religion is better than
> > yours because [insert reasons]"). You get the idea.
>
> What if I have no religion? Can I still play?
>
> Billy Goodmanwww.pukindogspaintball.com

09 Feb 2007 06:13:28
Matt Moriearty
Re: Holy War!

Going to agree with Tom here. But even ragging on any Christians will
get all sorts of protesters at your doorstep.

On the other hand, I imagine it would be fun. As. *Hell*.

I'd suggest a couple... 'obscure' religions, though. Something like,
say, Pastafarianism versus The Church of Last Thursday.

I'm partial to Pastafarianism, myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions

09 Feb 2007 10:42:30
Tom Greening
Re: Holy War!

Matt Moriearty wrote:
> Going to agree with Tom here. But even ragging on any Christians will
> get all sorts of protesters at your doorstep.
>
> On the other hand, I imagine it would be fun. As. *Hell*.
>
> I'd suggest a couple... 'obscure' religions, though. Something like,
> say, Pastafarianism versus The Church of Last Thursday.
>
> I'm partial to Pastafarianism, myself.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions

I'd have a go at the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster myself. At
least they have a sense of humor.

09 Feb 2007 13:02:23
Hardtime
Re: Holy War!

On Fri, 09 Feb 2007 10:42:30 -0500, Tom Greening
<tgreening@yomama.com > wrote:

>Matt Moriearty wrote:
>> Going to agree with Tom here. But even ragging on any Christians will
>> get all sorts of protesters at your doorstep.
>>
>> On the other hand, I imagine it would be fun. As. *Hell*.
>>
>> I'd suggest a couple... 'obscure' religions, though. Something like,
>> say, Pastafarianism versus The Church of Last Thursday.
>>
>> I'm partial to Pastafarianism, myself.
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions
>

>I'd have a go at the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster myself. At
>least they have a sense of humor.

LOL, they would have to with that title.

(`._Hardtime_.)

http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

10 Feb 2007 00:12:45
Matt Moriearty
Re: Holy War!

>> I'd have a go at the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster myself. At
>> least they have a sense of humor.
>
> LOL, they would have to with that title.
>

> (`._Hardtime_.)
>
> http://geocities.com/arcticjohn88/arcticjohn88

That's why I picked those two. They have both have a sense of humor
fairly as part of the 'scripture', and they're both silly enough that no
one would think they're actual serious religions in a review of the
scenario.

For those of you not in the know (as, possibly, HT :), the Church of the
Flying Spaghetti Monster (hereto known as FSM and Pastafarianism)
started when a teacher, IIRC, when told that he would have to teach the
Christian school of creationism in his class, proclaimed that he would
then have to teach *all* thoughts of creationism, and if he just
*claimed* the world was created by a FSM, he'd have to teach that, too.

The Ten Commandments are replaced with the eight "I'd Really Rather You
Didn'ts", including
3:I'd Really Rather You Didn't Judge People For The Way They Look, Or
How They Dress, Or The Way They Talk, Or, Well, Just Play Nice, Tokay?
Oh, And Get This In Your Thick Heads: Woman = Person. Man = Person.
Samey - Samey. One Is Not Better Than The Other, Unless We're Talking
About Fashion And I'm Sorry, But I Gave That To Women And Some Guys Who
Know The Difference Between Teal and Fuchsia.
4:I'd Really Rather You Didn't Indulge In Conduct That Offends Yourself,
Or Your Willing, Consenting Partner Of Legal Age AND Mental Maturity. As
For Anyone Who Might Object, I Think The Expression Is Go F*** Yourself,
Unless They Find That Offensive In Which Case They Can Turn Off the TV
For Once And Go For A Walk For A Change.
and 8:I'd Really Rather You Didn't Do Unto Others As You Would Have Them
Do Unto You If You Are Into, Um, Stuff That Uses A Lot Of
Leather/Lubricant/Las Vegas. If The Other Person Is Into It, However
(Pursuant To #4), Then Have At It, Take Pictures, And For The Love Of
Mike, Wear a CONDOM! Honestly, It's A Piece Of Rubber. If I Didn't Want
It To Feel Good When You Did It I Would Have Added Spikes, Or Something.

The Church of Last Thursday (Last Thursdayism) believes that the entire
world and everything in it was created--guess what?--last Thursday.
Every appearance of age, memories, expired calenders and such, are
implanted to create illusions. Have memories of a grandparent that died
in '02? Never really existed.

Aaaanyway. I like the 'holy war' idea--it hasn't been done. But, say,
Christians vs. Muslims, or Muslims vs. Jews, or Wiccans vs. Cherokee (or
whatever), are *bound* to end in an uproar. So pick a couple that can
deal with some prodding back and forth.

10 Feb 2007 22:51:46
Mofaz
Re: Holy War!

I'd much rather hold the event with two of the world's top religions
as teams. That way any uproar would be good advertisement for those
of us who enjoy thumbing at other people for their idiocy. I mean --
now, here's where this post will stray into a different topic -- I'm
confident that a lot of people throughout the world view religion the
same way I do: some silly excuse to die over, cry over and keep from
having fun with your life (i.e., endulging in minor sinful acts in
other words). Religion is just a waste of time.

I don't understand why humans latch onto one thing, but not another.
For thousands of years humans have worshiped one figure in our history
who supposedly existed, yet we have no physical evidence that this
person walked the Earth. Why him and not someone or a group of people
more recent?

On Feb 9, 4:12 pm, Matt Moriearty <Math...@verizon.net > wrote:

> Aaaanyway. I like the 'holy war' idea--it hasn't been done. But, say,
> Christians vs. Muslims, or Muslims vs. Jews, or Wiccans vs. Cherokee (or
> whatever), are *bound* to end in an uproar. So pick a couple that can
> deal with some prodding back and forth.

11 Feb 2007 07:18:32
Scott
Re: Holy War!

Hmmmm, Flying Spagetti? Sounds like My kinda Religion.... Though I think I'd
be excommunicated soon enough.... I'd try to "take the Spirit into myself"
so to speak, by eating the flying Spagetti......
Hmm Meatball or hamburger in the sauce I wonder?????LOL

"Matt Moriearty" <MathU41@verizon.net > wrote in message
> Going to agree with Tom here. But even ragging on any Christians will get
> all sorts of protesters at your doorstep.
>
> On the other hand, I imagine it would be fun. As. *Hell*.
>
> I'd suggest a couple... 'obscure' religions, though. Something like, say,
> Pastafarianism versus The Church of Last Thursday.
>
> I'm partial to Pastafarianism, myself.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_religions

11 Feb 2007 09:08:52
Matt Moriearty
Re: Holy War!

Mofaz wrote:
> I'd much rather hold the event with two of the world's top religions
> as teams. That way any uproar would be good advertisement for those
> of us who enjoy thumbing at other people for their idiocy. I mean --
> now, here's where this post will stray into a different topic -- I'm
> confident that a lot of people throughout the world view religion the
> same way I do: some silly excuse to die over, cry over and keep from
> having fun with your life (i.e., endulging in minor sinful acts in
> other words). Religion is just a waste of time.
>
> I don't understand why humans latch onto one thing, but not another.
> For thousands of years humans have worshiped one figure in our history
> who supposedly existed, yet we have no physical evidence that this
> person walked the Earth. Why him and not someone or a group of people
> more recent?

Well, hell yeah, it's a waste of time. But it's also an easy
explanation, and people love easy explanations. If not just that, it
fits one into a group, and humanity in general is a herd.

Most people of right mind would find it amusing, or at least be able to
bite the bullet and have some fun. Unfortunately, about two percent of
the planet is in their right mind considering their ingrained beliefs,
and quite a hefty bit more are willing to kill for them.

I've met plenty of intelligent religious folk, but it's instilled while
they're young--a sort of brainwashing, in effect--and because everyone
in their family is the same religion, and it's such a habit, there's no
hope of thinking logically on the subject.