31 Aug 2005 02:56:02
kagior
find his ball

Hello,

Sorry for my previous post, i didn't realize it was an english group.

My question was : is there a system which permit to find his ball
because i lose to many balls and/or spent to much time looking for it ?

Thanks

31 Aug 2005 03:56:05
Larry Bud
Re: find his ball

kagior wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Sorry for my previous post, i didn't realize it was an english group.
>
> My question was : is there a system which permit to find his ball
> because i lose to many balls and/or spent to much time looking for it ?

Why do you lose it? Do you pay attention to the direction and distance
that it is travelling? The best way to find the ball is to notice a
landmark that the ball is inline with, like a tree, rock, bunker, etc,
and walk towards it.

I find that most of the guys on my league that don't know where their
ball went just aren't paying very good attention. One guy the other
day hits a big slice into the trees, and while the ball is still in the
air, bends over to pick up his tee. Then he looks at me and says "did
you see where it went?". I said "Dave, I'll show you where it went,
but you have to watch your own ball."

Everyone loses track of their ball from time to time, but if you're not
even going to make an effort, I have little sympathy.

31 Aug 2005 05:18:55
kagior
Re: find his ball

thanks for the advice but it can go to the trees or anywhere
else....i'm looking for a system which could determine exactly where
the ball is.
I read that electronic systems are forbidden, is it exact and why ?

31 Aug 2005 08:36:28
David Sneddon
Re: find his ball

kagior wrote:
> thanks for the advice but it can go to the trees or anywhere
> else....i'm looking for a system which could determine exactly where
> the ball is.
> I read that electronic systems are forbidden, is it exact and why ?

As LarryBud pointed out, the only system is on either side of your nose.

David

31 Aug 2005 13:14:11
Jr.
Re: find his ball

I think what everyone here is saying Kagior is this
If you are so disinterested in watching where your ball goes when you hit
it, you need to find another game.
The only way to know where to find you ball is to keep your head down,
follow through and your eyes will usually be pointed in the direction of the
ball's flight.

Otherwise, that electronic crap is just being lazy or disinterested in the
game.

"David Sneddon" <me@nospam.net > wrote in message
> kagior wrote:
>> thanks for the advice but it can go to the trees or anywhere
>> else....i'm looking for a system which could determine exactly where
>> the ball is.
>> I read that electronic systems are forbidden, is it exact and why ?
>>

> As LarryBud pointed out, the only system is on either side of your nose.
>
> David

31 Aug 2005 07:02:07
Eagle
Re: find his ball

give the guy a break. I'm surprised you didn't tell him to keep his
drives in the middle of the fairway.

I've come across a few cases over the past couple of weeks, where such
an electronic system would've saved my playing partners and I a lot of
time.
On the course I play there are a number of blind shots, mostly dips and
hills, where you only have a general idea where the ball ends up - miss
the fairway and expect to spend some time searching.
We have cases whereby players playing on one fairway, can't find their
ball, proceed to look for it on the next fairway running parallel, see
a ball that's not their's, and play that ball, meaning the original
owner of the ball has to go back and play his shot again, two shots
worse off, after searching for five minutes for a ball that's not
there.
There's also plenty of examples on the PGA tour where Pro's hit their
ball into deep rough, and even though many people see where it lands,
nobody can find the darn thing.

Jr. wrote:
> I think what everyone here is saying Kagior is this
> If you are so disinterested in watching where your ball goes when you hit
> it, you need to find another game.
> The only way to know where to find you ball is to keep your head down,
> follow through and your eyes will usually be pointed in the direction of the
> ball's flight.
>
> Otherwise, that electronic crap is just being lazy or disinterested in the
> game.

31 Aug 2005 07:38:44
cja
Re: find his ball

kagior wrote:
> thanks for the advice but it can go to the trees or anywhere
> else....i'm looking for a system which could determine exactly where
> the ball is.

http://murray.newcastle.edu.au/users/students/2004/c9906161/index.html
gd.tuwien.ac.at/systeng/bahill/sie554/golfBall/jacob/product.doc

It's an interesting problem to solve from an engineering perspective,
but it's hard to imagine it being cost effective. Golf balls are
disposable anyway; many modern balls won't last more than a round or
two even if you don't lose them.

> I read that electronic systems are forbidden, is it exact and why ?

I don't know if they are, or why they would be.

- cja

31 Aug 2005 08:15:26
kagior
Re: find his ball

visit this site : http://www.radargolf.com/

31 Aug 2005 08:43:53
Birdie Bill
Re: find his ball

kagior wrote:
> visit this site : http://www.radargolf.com/

I found one of those balls!

31 Aug 2005 15:47:48
Skyhawk XP
Re: find his ball

"Birdie Bill" <bighorn_bill@hotmail.com > wrote in message

> kagior wrote:
> > visit this site : http://www.radargolf.com/
>
> I found one of those balls!

Suppose the battery went dead on the detector? Wouldn't that be a kick in
the head!?

31 Aug 2005 13:07:29
Roger Pattee
Re: find his ball

On 31 Aug 2005 08:15:26 -0700, "kagior" <gbirot@free.fr > wrote:

>visit this site : http://www.radargolf.com/

Hi,

Welcome to RSG.

I think that the above system is unique, but it is not going to
achieve widespread use, due to it's cost.

As golfers..we do lose golf balls. But, they are inexpensive and that
is part of the game we play..we are bound to lose golf balls.

One can watch as intently as they are able to, but that is not going
to assure finding the errant golf ball. That's just part of the game
we enjoy, playing it outdoors in a non-confined area that will have
areas that a ball will be lost in.

31 Aug 2005 11:07:59
MattMika
Re: find his ball

On 31 Aug 2005 08:15:26 -0700, "kagior" <gbirot@free.fr > wrote:

>visit this site : http://www.radargolf.com/

Looks like a great idea for those getting older with fading eyesight.
I personally wouldnt use one, but on many occassions it would have
been nice.

Matt

31 Aug 2005 10:55:27
Steve Horvath
Re: find his ball

cja wrote:
> kagior wrote:
> > thanks for the advice but it can go to the trees or anywhere
> > else....i'm looking for a system which could determine exactly where
> > the ball is.
>
> It's an interesting problem to solve from an engineering perspective,
> but it's hard to imagine it being cost effective. Golf balls are
> disposable anyway; many modern balls won't last more than a round or
> two even if you don't lose them.

Radargolf says on their faq that it lasts about the same
as a regular ball, and the price for a doz is about the
same as the ProV1. They also state that it won't help
you in unreachable hazards (obviously). I agree with you,
at best it's a novelty.

I suppose their intent is to help a golfer find it when the ball
is in play but conditions prevent seeing the ball land and where
it comes to rest: blind shots, sun low in the sky and beyond
your target, heavy rough.

I don't see any market for it... Avid golfers would
avoid. Maybe the "Sharper Image" types might go for it.

Beginners should put the money toward lessons and learn
to keep it in play most of the time.

31 Aug 2005 16:41:08
Cal Golfer
Re: find his ball

1. Play with a less expensive ball until you hit them straight enough
to find them in the fairway most of the time, and
2. Although the rules allow 5 minutes to try to find a lost ball, in
the spirit of sportsmanship, if there is someone behind my group that
is waiting I will look for 1-2 minutes, then declare the ball lost and
hit again.

If I am following rule #1, I will only be "out" about $1, and the
lesson will be to do everything in the future to keep the ball in play.

31 Aug 2005 18:55:13
Re: find his ball

In many country Golf are not perfect, and even on fairway there some
holes,
And il your drive goes out of the fairway, there are high grasses,
bushes, or trees you loose time to find your ball and disturb people
playing after you if you take to much time
And golf ball are quite expensive, so a sytem to detectect balls should
be interested when you play for fun

PS: Try to play at the sunset with sun front your eyes, you ll see it s
not so easy to see your ball
PS2: When you see that golf club sell balls they find, you are
frustrated too

"Otherwise, that electronic crap is just being lazy or disinterested in
the
game."
And do you think your computer, washing machine , gps, telephone ...
makes you lazy ? we needn't you to juge people

01 Sep 2005 01:33:37
kagior
Re: find his ball

thanks i totally agree with you, you must be an experienced player

03 Sep 2005 15:22:36
Re: find his ball

On 31-Aug-2005, "kagior" <gbirot@free.fr > wrote:

> My question was : is there a system which permit to find his ball
> because i lose to many balls and/or spent to much time looking for it ?

I get a lot of practice looking for balls. The hardest thing to judge is
distance.

A friend of mine uses http://www.visiball.com/demo.htm (Not legal in
tournaments). I tried them once and they didn't seem to help.

One advantage of push carts is that you can point them towards your target
and then stop and wait for someone else to hit. Riding carts makes it hard
to always go directly to where you saw your ball go.

Ask your companions to stand behind the ball to get the best angle to see
where it goes.

Use a smaller club and hit the ball a shorter distance.

03 Sep 2005 15:24:06
Re: find his ball

On 31-Aug-2005, "Eagle" <eagle.someday@gmail.com > wrote:

> There's also plenty of examples on the PGA tour where Pro's hit their
> ball into deep rough, and even though many people see where it lands,
> nobody can find the darn thing.

They have pretty tough rough. But we can pick golf courses that are more
suited for our game.

03 Sep 2005 15:25:47
Re: find his ball

On 31-Aug-2005, "cja" <cja@excite.com > wrote:

> http://murray.newcastle.edu.au/users/students/2004/c9906161/index.html
> gd.tuwien.ac.at/systeng/bahill/sie554/golfBall/jacob/product.doc
>
> It's an interesting problem to solve from an engineering perspective,
> but it's hard to imagine it being cost effective. Golf balls are
> disposable anyway; many modern balls won't last more than a round or
> two even if you don't lose them.

Yep, I thought it was in the middle of that lake.