30 Sep 2006 16:08:33
warren montgomery
dies irae?

Has anyone else noticed the music that plays in the background of the ads
running on golf broadcasts for the new PGA tour playoff structure? It's the
"day of rage" piece from Mozart's requium mass. (My wife recognized it as
she has sung the piece in several choral performances.) I suppose the idea
is "judgement day", but a tour playoff for a million bucks isn't exactly
what the church had in mind :-)

Oddly enough this isn't the first time a major advertising campaign has used
a piece of that particular Mass. Years ago Microsoft announced some new
piece of software, saying "where do you want to go today", as the
"confutates" part of the mass played in the background (a loose translation
of the latin words is "condemned to burn forever in the fires of Hell:".
Several people noticed it and the ads disappeared -- I wonder why :-)

--
Warren Montgomery (wamontgomery@att.net)
http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery

30 Sep 2006 17:43:40
multi
Re: dies irae?

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:08:33 -0500, "warren montgomery"
<wamontgomery@worldnet.att.net > wrote:
>Has anyone else noticed the music that plays in the background of the ads
>running on golf broadcasts for the new PGA tour playoff structure? It's the
>"day of rage" piece from Mozart's requium mass.

No, but I noticed that the Fruit of the Loom song sounds like
Coldplay.

30 Sep 2006 22:23:42
RJ Forest
Re: dies irae?

In article <DdydnUfVvtBMQYPYnZ2dnUVZ_oednZ2d@comcast.com >, warren
montgomery <wamontgomery@worldnet.att.net > wrote:

> Has anyone else noticed the music that plays in the background of the ads
> running on golf broadcasts for the new PGA tour playoff structure? It's the
> "day of rage" piece from Mozart's requium mass. (My wife recognized it as
> she has sung the piece in several choral performances.) I suppose the idea
> is "judgement day", but a tour playoff for a million bucks isn't exactly
> what the church had in mind :-)
>
> Oddly enough this isn't the first time a major advertising campaign has used
> a piece of that particular Mass. Years ago Microsoft announced some new
> piece of software, saying "where do you want to go today", as the
> "confutates" part of the mass played in the background (a loose translation
> of the latin words is "condemned to burn forever in the fires of Hell:".
> Several people noticed it and the ads disappeared -- I wonder why :-)

It's sort of like all of the commercials that use Carl Orff's Carmina
Burana to give some ominous "Omen" effect when the work is really a new
setting of Medieval drinking songs.
Another triumph of image over substance.

02 Oct 2006 08:42:43
John van der Pflum
Re: dies irae?

On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 17:43:40 -0700, multi <multi@asm.org > wrote:

>On Sat, 30 Sep 2006 16:08:33 -0500, "warren montgomery"
><wamontgomery@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>>Has anyone else noticed the music that plays in the background of the ads
>>running on golf broadcasts for the new PGA tour playoff structure? It's the
>>"day of rage" piece from Mozart's requium mass.
>
>No, but I noticed that the Fruit of the Loom song sounds like
>Coldplay.

Lots of stuff sounds like Cold Play.
--

jvdp
Myke Plough-in-skee is not mentioned in this thread.