30 Mar 2007 08:14:04
JerrywithaJ
Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

30 Mar 2007 05:58:17
cja
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

On Mar 30, 8:14 am, JerrywithaJ <Jerrywit...@aol.com > wrote:

> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
> hurt his golf swing?!?
> ^^^^
baseball

> Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?

Facts may be tough to come by, but I'll give you my opinion. When I
was playing baseball I mostly stayed away from golf during the
baseball season, believing as your grandson does that it would hurt my
baseball swing. In the off-season, though, I played golf, and it
should be fine for your grandson to do the same. I actually think
hitting baseballs does more harm to a golf swing than vice versa.
Baseball took priority over golf when I was young. I played baseball
through high school and in college, but was never on a golf team.

> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

That's the best time, but I'd recommend he leave the clubs in the bag
until after baseball season. You could try selling him on the idea
that off-season golf will help his baseball swing. The timing,
balance, and hand-eye coordination he'll get from golf are all good
for the baseball swing.

- cja

30 Mar 2007 06:22:15
me
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

On Mar 30, 8:14 am, JerrywithaJ <Jerrywit...@aol.com > wrote:
> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
> hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

Baseball is full of old wives tales. Weight lifting used to be
supposedly "bad" for you too. Cross training is all the rage
in sports these days and it would seem there is some useful
cross training here. As someone else said, I'd be far more worried
about the baseball swing killing the golf swing than the other way
around. You have no small number of professional baseball players
who love golf. A golf swing requires balance and timing, both
things that should be useful to a baseball swing (which is a
much simplier swing IMHO). And really, look at an ideal
body position at impact of a golf swing and a baseball swing
and isn't there alot of similarities? About the only difference
is that the ball is alot lower and I don't think you'll have the
hips turned as much at bat. But what do I know, I'm a better golfer
than batter, and I suck at golf.

30 Mar 2007 06:28:19

On Mar 30, 8:58 am, "cja" <c...@excite.com > wrote:
> On Mar 30, 8:14 am, JerrywithaJ <Jerrywit...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> You could try selling him on the idea
> that off-season golf will help his baseball swing. The timing,
> balance, and hand-eye coordination he'll get from golf are all good
> for the baseball swing.

One more thing: I believed in and used a grip on the baseball bat
where the middle knuckles on each hand lined up. This promotes right
forearm (for the righty hitter) rotation over the left through impact.
This is very similar to the 'release' move of a good golf swing, so in
this case baseball and golf can be good for each other.

- cja

30 Mar 2007 06:31:51
John B.
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

On Mar 30, 8:14 am, JerrywithaJ <Jerrywit...@aol.com > wrote:
> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
> hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

When I took up golf, I had been playing baseball throughout my youth.
I didn't have trouble adapting to the basic dynamics of the golf
swing, but I had a very hard time learning not to swing as hard as I
could. I expect your grandson wil have the same problem, but I don't
think his baseball swing is going to hurt his golf swing or vice versa.

30 Mar 2007 15:02:27
uncle k

"John B." <johnb505@gmail.com > wrote in message
> When I took up golf, I had been playing baseball throughout my youth.
> I didn't have trouble adapting to the basic dynamics of the golf
> swing, but I had a very hard time learning not to swing as hard as I
> could. I expect your grandson wil have the same problem, but I don't
> think his baseball swing is going to hurt his golf swing or vice versa.

I resemble that remark. I played organized baseball from the time I was
eight, later switching to fast-pitch softball, then slow-pitch softball. I
also played golf when I was a kid, but didn't take it seriously until my
late-20s. By the time I was in my 30s, I was a 4-6 handicap. I had to quit
playing ball altogether, because it was screwing up my golf swing, big
time.* I hit the baseball/softball hard - really hard, and I was a
pull-hitter. This carried over to my golf swing, which isn't good.

Going in, if said grandson can grasp the concept of discipline, i.e. the
swings are NOT the same, he might be OK playing both sports. If not, have
him quit baseball now, to play the game he can still play when he's an old
fart. ;-{

*I only had one speed at baseball - all out. I had no fear when crashing
into guys twice my size. Once I reached my 30s, I came to realize that the
injuries didn't heal as fast as they did when I was a teenager.

Unc

30 Mar 2007 08:21:13
S.D.

On Fri, 30 Mar 2007 08:14:04 -0400, JerrywithaJ wrote:

> Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?

Don't think anyone has spent the $$$$$ needed to factually evaluate that
one..., at least that I am aware of:) I've been a jock all my life -
played a variety of sports, including football, softball, tournament
2-man sand Vball, tennis - among others.

Working on a good golf swing is as important as the swinging the
baseball bat, or a tennis racket; its about mental imaging and
confidence - then physical abilities.

Physically, golf won't affect a baseball swing - but, by introducing
another opposing swing plane, how a 15yr old reproduces mental images of
the swing could have a derogatory affect on his baseball swing.

If your grandson feels golf will harm his baseball swing, I'd suggest
let him be. I suspect he got that info from either a kid or a coach.
Either way, that resource will hold more value to him then your desire
for him to play golf with you. I know .. I have a 15 yr old son that's
into soccer ( for 7yrs now) and shows only a little interest in golf (I
am a single digit competitive player)
--
Hit'em long and straight:)
SDig

30 Mar 2007 10:59:19
curtjester1

On 30 Mar, 08:14, JerrywithaJ <Jerrywit...@aol.com > wrote:
> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
> hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

I think that golf could only help, and all that needs adjusting is the
plane a bit. A lot of baseball drills have balls hitting of a high
tee, and I feel if you learn the timing techniques of both, you will
be miles ahead in both sports. If your grandson takes a golf lesson,
ask the instructor how one would maximize effieciency in hitting the
ball far if you don't want to go through all the nuances of thises and
thats for a lot of golf lessons.

CJ

31 Mar 2007 07:48:10
Rex

"JerrywithaJ" <JerrywithaJ@aol.com > wrote in message
> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
> hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

Get hold of Jim McLean's "The plane truth for Golfers". I think in hthat
book he liken's the "one plane Swing" to a baseball swing but on an angle.

Rex.

31 Mar 2007 00:15:02
George Orwell
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

In article <jgvp03pofssb5rj8jnlp4r9rae7b8vru2n@4ax.com >
JerrywithaJ <JerrywithaJ@aol.com > wrote:

> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
> hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

Who knows what the studies say but I tried to play tennis and golf and it didn't work. Baseball considered, it's the same type of swing on a different plane but with golf, swing plane is the difference between slicing, hooking, or a straight hit. Then again, kids can adapt better than us old guys so you never know. Best thing to do is try is and see what happens.

30 Mar 2007 19:56:03

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:48:10 +1200, "Rex" <rexroh@gmail.com > wrote:

>Get hold of Jim McLean's "The plane truth for Golfers". I think in hthat
>book he liken's the "one plane Swing" to a baseball swing but on an angle.
>
>Rex.

Wrong Jim. You're confusing the "X-factor/8-step" guy with the
oneplane guy. It's Jim Hardy.

And don't forget Maddux and Glavine--chicks dig the long ball! :-)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
http://davidclary.com

30 Mar 2007 20:46:37
annika1980

On Mar 30, 8:56 pm, dave.cl...@geewhizmail.com wrote:

> And don't forget Maddux and Glavine--chicks dig the long ball! :-)

This is so true!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/21869139

30 Mar 2007 21:21:48
annika1980
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

On Mar 30, 8:14 am, JerrywithaJ <Jerrywit...@aol.com > wrote:
> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
> hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!

Where is Glfnaz when we need him? He should be the expert on this
topic.

I'll bet his kid isn't allowed to go near a driving range.

31 Mar 2007 08:55:57
John van der Pflum
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

On 30 Mar 2007 20:46:37 -0700, "annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com >
wrote:

>On Mar 30, 8:56 pm, dave.cl...@geewhizmail.com wrote:
>>
>> And don't forget Maddux and Glavine--chicks dig the long ball! :-)
>>

>This is so true!
>
>http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/21869139

You forgot to post this.

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/46744763
--

jvdp
RSG Cincinnati July 13-15, 2007

31 Mar 2007 07:43:42
glfnaz

"annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com > wrote in message
> On Mar 30, 8:14 am, JerrywithaJ <Jerrywit...@aol.com> wrote:
>> My 15 yo grandson won't play golf becuase he's been told doing so will
>> hurt his golf swing?!? Can anyone provide any facts in this regard?
>> I'd love for the boy to also learn to play while young. TIA!
>
> Where is Glfnaz when we need him? He should be the expert on this
> topic.
>
> I'll bet his kid isn't allowed to go near a driving range.

Li'l glfnaz has a tee time today at 2PM at
http://www.mountainshadowsgolfclub.com/icg/mountainShadows/home.html?HID=304&TM=4230&RN=866120

He's playing with grandma and grandpa.
( granny is a member)

He plays other sports.
He was named most outstanding 11 year old in the City basketball program,
he's hitting .835 in Little League, and had been nominated for the most
outstanding club baseball player in the State of AZ. This fall he's playing
pop warner football.

The club team--
http://www.desertfirebirds.com/

is ranked 1st in AZ, and #2 in the country.
56-6 so far this year. 2nd at nationals. National Championship last year as
a 10U team.
Oh, and he got straight A's this past semester.

31 Mar 2007 14:31:51
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:43:42 -0700, "glfnaz" <glfnaz@qwesttrash.com >
wrote:

>Oh, and he got straight A's this past semester.

You forgot to tell them he's playing shortstop for ASU next year!! :-)

Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
http://davidclary.com

01 Apr 2007 08:13:27
Rex
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

I stand corrected. You are so rght. I like both coaches though.

Rex
<dave.clary@geewhizmail.com > wrote in message
> On Sat, 31 Mar 2007 07:48:10 +1200, "Rex" <rexroh@gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>Get hold of Jim McLean's "The plane truth for Golfers". I think in hthat
>>book he liken's the "one plane Swing" to a baseball swing but on an angle.
>>
>>Rex.
>>

> Wrong Jim. You're confusing the "X-factor/8-step" guy with the
> oneplane guy. It's Jim Hardy.
>
> And don't forget Maddux and Glavine--chicks dig the long ball! :-)
>
> Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, TX
> http://davidclary.com

01 Apr 2007 23:07:48
annika1980

On Mar 31, 10:43 am, "glfnaz" <glf...@qwesttrash.com > wrote:

> He plays other sports.
> He was named most outstanding 11 year old in the City basketball program,
> he's hitting .835 in Little League, and had been nominated for the most
> outstanding club baseball player in the State of AZ. This fall he's playing
> pop warner football.

That's all well and good, but it really means nothing.
According to noted sports psychologist, Dr. Jack H. Llewellyn, it is
impossible to predict future accomplishments of an 11-year old based
on past performances.
IOW, an accomplished baseball player like your son has about the same
chance of turning into the next Chipper Jones as does the 11-year old
kid who has never played and is just taking up the game. You wouldn't
think that would be the case, but it's true.

I suppose this is true in all sports. Look at some of the old winners
of the Junior Amateurs, for example. Sure, you'll see Tiger Woods on
there, but you'll also see a lot of names you have never heard of on
Tour. Or look at some of the guys Tiger beat to win the US AM ....
Trip Kuehne, Steve Scott, Buddy Marucci. How many tour wins have
those guys amassed? And whatever happened to former US Am champ,
Chris Patton, anyway? Then you've got late bloomers like Jim Furyk,
who most people never heard of until he started winning on Tour.

My point is that the straight-A's your kid gets is a better predictor
of future success than any sports accomplishments he may have attained
so far.

Here's a lesson you can share with Lil Glfnaz:
I first met Tiger Woods when he was 16 years old. At that time he was
probably the most accompished 16-year old golfer in history. But he
isn't recognized as the greatest golfer today because of what he did
in those first 16 years. It is what he's done since then that sets
him apart and defines his greatness.

Must've been those tips I gave him.....
http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/57944505

The same lesson applies to anyone reading this. It isn't what you've
accomplished in the last 5, 10, 20, or 40 years. What is important is
what you will accomplish in the future. Start today.

02 Apr 2007 08:00:40
The_Professor
Re: Will playing golf hurt a young baseball player's baseball swing

On Apr 2, 1:07 am, "annika1980" <annika1...@aol.com > wrote:

snip...

You are right on wioth the academics, but there are As and there are
As. There is a lot of pressure for teachers to give everyone's hard
working child an A, but the fact is, there are still limited
opportunites at various levels. Like it or not, a lot get "left
behind", regardless. ACTs and tests like that can tell a lot. Being in
the top 2% is a very telling parameter, regardless of score. We can
look at Med School, for example. While an ACT of 30 is no guarantee
coming out of high school, and ACT of less than 30 is pretty much a
guarantee you aren't going to make it. Not to say the odd 28 doesn't
make it, some do, but very few, whereas a good percentage of MD
wannabes with ACTs over 30 do get there. Lots of 24 ACTs with straight
As in high school too!

02 Apr 2007 09:55:02
me

On Apr 2, 11:00 am, "The_Professor" <d...@att.net > wrote:
> On Apr 2, 1:07 am, "annika1980" <annika1...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> snip...
>
> You are right on wioth the academics, but there are As and there are
> As. There is a lot of pressure for teachers to give everyone's hard
> working child an A, but the fact is, there are still limited
> opportunites at various levels.

Common problem in engineering schools. Everyone there
was "in the top 10%" of their classes at "Milkweed" high or
whatever. And we were all "good at math.". Now they are
in a school of 3000 freshmen who were too and they are
all being graded on a curve. Someone's gonna be last.

> Like it or not, a lot get "left
> behind", regardless. ACTs and tests like that can tell a lot. Being in
> the top 2% is a very telling parameter, regardless of score. We can
> look at Med School, for example. While an ACT of 30 is no guarantee
> coming out of high school, and ACT of less than 30 is pretty much a
> guarantee you aren't going to make it. Not to say the odd 28 doesn't
> make it, some do, but very few, whereas a good percentage of MD
> wannabes with ACTs over 30 do get there. Lots of 24 ACTs with straight
> As in high school too!

I suspect the same is true in golf. When you realize the number
of
folks who are, in one sense or another, "professional golfers" and
you realize there are what, maybe 500 or so wandering around the
world making a real living at competition golf, there just isn't alot
of room for folks that are "good at it". If you aren't exceptional
at it within a few months or years of taking up the sport, you
probably never will be.