30 Sep 2007 10:00:43
SteveB
Used set of clubs cost?

I know there are stories of people buying sets of used expensive premium
golf clubs from widows, the clueless, and derelicts and fugitives for $20.

What would a reasonable price for say a complete set with a decent bag be?

By used, I mean like more than five years old, not beat to hell, and not a
year old set that cost a couple of grand with all the best of everything.

2 to 9 iron, wedge, putter, three woods, and some sort of massive driver.

I want to get a deal, but don't want to buy crap. I'll pay the going rate,
and hope for a real deal, but don't have deep pockets. I'm going to watch
for one of the top brands mentioned in a previous thread. Probably be two
prices. One from someone who just wants to get rid of them NOW and sells
them really cheap, and someone who sells them for a reasonable price.
Hoping for the pissed off wife or girlfriend scenario.

How much of a price range are we talking about for a standard length set for
a beginning senior golfer? From a used equipment shop? From an individual?

Thanks. This is a helpful full of (mostly) helpful people.

I just moved to the St. George, Utah, area, and those people in that area
are going crazy with golf courses. I'm anxious to get started.

Steve




30 Sep 2007 12:36:17
Otto
Re: Used set of clubs cost?


"SteveB" <oldfart@flatulence.com > wrote in message
news:QKPLi.124927$Vk6.40095@newsfe07.phx...
> What would a reasonable price for say a complete set with a decent bag be?

Depends on the clubs.

As a beginner, I would recommend a used set of low end clubs. Less than 100
bucks and the pockets will usually be full of tees and balls and gloves.


> I want to get a deal, but don't want to buy crap.


After you look at a few sets you'll know which ones you want. The faces
should be in good condition and they should be straight. Simply inspect them
from end to end.

You may want to decide if you want graphite shafted irons or steel. I prefer
steel but some of the older folks like the graphite due to less shock and
vibration.



> I'll pay the going rate,
> and hope for a real deal, but don't have deep pockets.


Again, I would look for a used set less than 5 years old. I think if you pay
more than 100 bucks for the whole works you are probably into a set that you
really don't need going in. Go frugal and find out if you even like the
game. The set should last you several seasons and you'll know if you want to
go to the next level.



> I'm going to watch
> for one of the top brands mentioned in a previous thread.


If you can get a steal by all means go for it. I would not begin with a high
end set at book value.


> Probably be two
> prices. One from someone who just wants to get rid of them NOW and sells
> them really cheap, and someone who sells them for a reasonable price.
> Hoping for the pissed off wife or girlfriend scenario.


Anything is possible. With a little patience, you could find yourself
rewarded.



> How much of a price range are we talking about for a standard length set
for
> a beginning senior golfer?


I picked up set of graphite shafted clubs(irons and woods) with a big headed
composite driver for 100 bucks. Bag, balls, tees, gloves, shoes, the whole
works. The pockets were stuffed. Found the set for sale on Craigslist and
picked them up at the garage sale. The guy said he had used them about a
half dozen times and it looked like it. Excellent condition. There were 4
other buyers behind me if I didn't buy them.

Picked up two other sets off Craigslist. One set was 50 bucks and one set
was 75. Both complete but not as nice as the graphite set. My family banged
them around for a couple months and decided they didn't like golf.


> From a used equipment shop?


Always more. They have to pay thge light bill and make a profit.


> From an individual?


Always less. They hate golf and want the stuff out of their garage.


> I just moved to the St. George, Utah, area, and those people in that area
> are going crazy with golf courses. I'm anxious to get started.


Might make it a little tougher for you to find a steal. Sounds like you have
the fever and want a set in short order.


Good luck and welcome to a really fun game!


Otto


http://geo.craigslist.org/iso/us/ut





30 Sep 2007 13:38:45
WW
Re: Used set of clubs cost?

On Sep 30, 12:00 pm, "SteveB" <oldf...@flatulence.com > wrote:
> I know there are stories of people buying sets of used expensive premium
> golf clubs from widows, the clueless, and derelicts and fugitives for $20.
>
> What would a reasonable price for say a complete set with a decent bag be?
>
> By used, I mean like more than five years old, not beat to hell, and not a
> year old set that cost a couple of grand with all the best of everything.
>
> 2 to 9 iron, wedge, putter, three woods, and some sort of massive driver.
>
> I want to get a deal, but don't want to buy crap. I'll pay the going rate,
> and hope for a real deal, but don't have deep pockets. I'm going to watch
> for one of the top brands mentioned in a previous thread. Probably be two
> prices. One from someone who just wants to get rid of them NOW and sells
> them really cheap, and someone who sells them for a reasonable price.
> Hoping for the pissed off wife or girlfriend scenario.
>
> How much of a price range are we talking about for a standard length set for
> a beginning senior golfer? From a used equipment shop? From an individual?
>
> Thanks. This is a helpful full of (mostly) helpful people.
>
> I just moved to the St. George, Utah, area, and those people in that area
> are going crazy with golf courses. I'm anxious to get started.
>
> Steve

Throw out the idea of hitting the 2-4 iron unless your a decent
player. Get a 5-SW set & maybe a gap wedge (52*) if you want to get
fancy. What ever driver you prefer (used) along w/ a 5 wood. Don't
need much more than that. Get a starter set @ Dicks or what ever
discount store you have.



30 Sep 2007 18:29:35
MG
Re: Used set of clubs cost?


"SteveB" <oldfart@flatulence.com > wrote in message
news:QKPLi.124927$Vk6.40095@newsfe07.phx...
>I know there are stories of people buying sets of used expensive premium
>golf clubs from widows, the clueless, and derelicts and fugitives for $20.
>
> What would a reasonable price for say a complete set with a decent bag be?
>
> By used, I mean like more than five years old, not beat to hell, and not a
> year old set that cost a couple of grand with all the best of everything.
>
> 2 to 9 iron, wedge, putter, three woods, and some sort of massive driver.
>
> I want to get a deal, but don't want to buy crap. I'll pay the going
> rate, and hope for a real deal, but don't have deep pockets. I'm going to
> watch for one of the top brands mentioned in a previous thread. Probably
> be two prices. One from someone who just wants to get rid of them NOW and
> sells them really cheap, and someone who sells them for a reasonable
> price. Hoping for the pissed off wife or girlfriend scenario.
>
> How much of a price range are we talking about for a standard length set
> for a beginning senior golfer? From a used equipment shop? From an
> individual?
>
> Thanks. This is a helpful full of (mostly) helpful people.
>
> I just moved to the St. George, Utah, area, and those people in that area
> are going crazy with golf courses. I'm anxious to get started.
>
> Steve
>
>

Second Swing or Play It Again Sports should give you a good idea. Plenty on
Ebay.



--
Posted via a free Usenet account from http://www.teranews.com



30 Sep 2007 17:26:06
Howard Brazee
Re: Used set of clubs cost?

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 12:36:17 -0400, "Otto"
<ottondebREMOVE%$#%^%$@@bellsouth.net > wrote:

>> What would a reasonable price for say a complete set with a decent bag be?
>
>Depends on the clubs.
>
>As a beginner, I would recommend a used set of low end clubs. Less than 100
>bucks and the pockets will usually be full of tees and balls and gloves.

Every so often we see some expert asked about what are the best clubs
- and the reply is "depends". If there was a best club, everybody
would use it. Instead there are "best clubs" for each player
depending on his game.

And we won't learn what they are by picking a brand from its
advertisements.


30 Sep 2007 21:41:10
SteveB
Re: Used set of clubs cost?


"Howard Brazee" <howard@brazee.net > wrote

> Every so often we see some expert asked about what are the best clubs
> - and the reply is "depends". If there was a best club, everybody
> would use it. Instead there are "best clubs" for each player
> depending on his game.
>
> And we won't learn what they are by picking a brand from its
> advertisements.

Thanks, Howard. That was very helpful.

Steve




30 Sep 2007 21:48:16
SteveB
Re: Used set of clubs cost?


"WW" <dirtymm@msn.com > wrote

> Throw out the idea of hitting the 2-4 iron unless your a decent
> player. Get a 5-SW set & maybe a gap wedge (52*) if you want to get
> fancy. What ever driver you prefer (used) along w/ a 5 wood. Don't
> need much more than that. Get a starter set @ Dicks or what ever
> discount store you have.
>

I went to Southern California recently, and a friend who plays golf a lot
asked me if I would like to play. I hadn't hit a golf ball in twenty years.
I said, "Sure, but lets go to the driving range first."

The best club I hit was a three iron. I was whacking it real good.
Consistent. I was getting the hang of things by the end of the jumbo size
practice ball basket. The next day, we went to the local range, and again
hit a smaller bucket, and did some pitch and putt. Again, I was wailing
with the three iron. My other clubs were starting to go in their intended
direction, but if I had to pull out one club, and make a bet if I could hit
a good shot with it, it would be the three.

What do you suppose that means?

BTW, my best shot of the nine holes we played was a three that I nailed from
a good distance and put six feet from the pin.

Steve




01 Oct 2007 03:48:18
Birdie Bill
Re: Used set of clubs cost?

On Sep 30, 11:00 am, "SteveB" <oldf...@flatulence.com > wrote:
> I know there are stories of people buying sets of used expensive premium
> golf clubs from widows, the clueless, and derelicts and fugitives for $20.
>
> What would a reasonable price for say a complete set with a decent bag be?
>
> By used, I mean like more than five years old, not beat to hell, and not a
> year old set that cost a couple of grand with all the best of everything.
>
> 2 to 9 iron, wedge, putter, three woods, and some sort of massive driver.
>
> I want to get a deal, but don't want to buy crap. I'll pay the going rate,
> and hope for a real deal, but don't have deep pockets. I'm going to watch
> for one of the top brands mentioned in a previous thread. Probably be two
> prices. One from someone who just wants to get rid of them NOW and sells
> them really cheap, and someone who sells them for a reasonable price.
> Hoping for the pissed off wife or girlfriend scenario.
>
> How much of a price range are we talking about for a standard length set for
> a beginning senior golfer? From a used equipment shop? From an individual?
>
> Thanks. This is a helpful full of (mostly) helpful people.
>
> I just moved to the St. George, Utah, area, and those people in that area
> are going crazy with golf courses. I'm anxious to get started.

I could never find a good club bargin at second hand sports stores
like Play It Again Sports, They seemed to know what clubs are worth,
and if anything wanted more for good quality used clubs than the
golf superstores.

You might find a deal at a gargage sale. Friends of mine have
scored that way, however, all I ever find at garage sales is
trash.

Ebay is a good way to find out what "the going rate" is for
a particular club or set. Armed with that knowledge, you
can march into a superstore like Golfsmith or Edwin Watts
and negotiate a deal. Or just buy them off Ebay. I've never
been burned.