29 Jan 2008 14:47:14
Suggestions for Golf Near Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort Next Week

Hi there,
My wife and I will be at the Pointe Hilton Feb 6-10. I will be in
meetings in the mornings, but hope to play some golf in the
afternoons. Can anyone recommend any courses remotely near the
resort? We don't want to spend more than $100 (full round). Also, my
wife usually doesn't like to play more than nine holes. I read about
the twilight rates at Rancho Manana. That sounded decent. Any
suggestions on good deals would be much appreciated. Any spa
suggestions would also be appreciated (for the wife, of course).
Thanks in advance!
Jeremy

30 Jan 2008 13:31:29
Tom Yost
Re: Suggestions for Golf Near Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort Next Week

On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:47:14 -0800 (PST), lanejx@parknicollet.com
wrote:

>Hi there,
>My wife and I will be at the Pointe Hilton Feb 6-10. I will be in
>meetings in the mornings, but hope to play some golf in the
>afternoons. Can anyone recommend any courses remotely near the
>resort? We don't want to spend more than $100 (full round). Also, my
>wife usually doesn't like to play more than nine holes. I read about
>the twilight rates at Rancho Manana. That sounded decent. Any
>suggestions on good deals would be much appreciated. Any spa
>suggestions would also be appreciated (for the wife, of course).
>Thanks in advance!
>Jeremy

Hello Jeremy,

February is high season for golf rates, all the well known resort
courses will be charging $200+, but you should be able to find some
reasonable options.

Rancho Manana is not one of my favorites. A beautiful setting but a
very quirky/odd layout.

Check out discounted rates on http://www.golfnow.com/phoenix

The resort you are staying at is basically smack dab in the middle of
the metro Phoenix area.

The closest course is the Biltmore. The Adobe course is a traditional
layout (tree lined/all grass), that is nice. The rack rate is steep,
but they might offer late afternoon rates.

I can always recommend Papago, it is a city of Phoenix municipal that
is a great golf course but a little scruffy as many munis are. No
frills for sure but a pure golf experience in a nice setting.

A little further south is Vistal, up against the South Mountain and
with great views and very good rates.

Longbow GC in Mesa is a great course with rates 1/2 what they would be
if the course were in Scottdsdale.

The TPC Scottsdale Champions course just re-opened in November
(formerly the Desert Course) after a $10M makeover and maintains
reasonable rates.

The Golf Club Estrella has been running specials in the paper for $99
including dozen balls... it's a bit out there (SW) but probably not
any farther than Rancho Manana.

Some other places with lower rates that I am aware of:
The 500 Club (NW)
Palm Valley (W)
Coldwater (SW)
Foothills (S)
Hillcrest (NW)
Courses at Sun City Grand (NW)
(Cimmaron, Granite Falls, Desert Springs)
Lone Tree (SE)

Plenty of others and just as many that I would recommend avoiding.
Feel free to ask on the forum here for feedback on any specific
courses you are considering.

Tom

30 Jan 2008 13:26:55
Aodhan
Re: Suggestions for Golf Near Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort Next Week

> I can always recommend Papago, it is a city of Phoenix municipal that
> is a great golf course but a little scruffy as many munis are. No
> frills for sure but a pure golf experience in a nice setting.

A LITTLE scruffy? I've seen dogs with mange that weren't that scruffy...

When are they closing it for the renovation?

John

Re: Suggestions for Golf Near Pointe Hilton Squaw Peak Resort Next

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should ad that my standards are
pretty low. We are coming down from Minneapolis and I almost always
play public courses here. This will be my first winter getaway to
play golf. So, a little "scruffy" probably won't bother me a whole
lot. If the course really sucks, that another story. Also, we aren't
very good. I usually shoot in the mid to high 90's and my wife has
really just started playing last year. So a course that is a little
more "forgiving" would be nice.

Keep the tips coming!

On Jan 30, 2:31 pm, Tom Yost <t...@nospamme.com > wrote:

> On Tue, 29 Jan 2008 14:47:14 -0800 (PST), lan...@parknicollet.com
> wrote:
>
> >Hi there,
> >My wife and I will be at the Pointe Hilton Feb 6-10. I will be in
> >meetings in the mornings, but hope to play some golf in the
> >afternoons. Can anyone recommend any courses remotely near the
> >resort? We don't want to spend more than $100 (full round). Also, my
> >wife usually doesn't like to play more than nine holes. I read about
> >the twilight rates at Rancho Manana. That sounded decent. Any
> >suggestions on good deals would be much appreciated. Any spa
> >suggestions would also be appreciated (for the wife, of course).
> >Thanks in advance!
> >Jeremy
>
> Hello Jeremy,
>
> February is high season for golf rates, all the well known resort
> courses will be charging $200+, but you should be able to find some
> reasonable options.
>
> Rancho Manana is not one of my favorites. A beautiful setting but a
> very quirky/odd layout.
>
> Check out discounted rates onhttp://www.golfnow.com/phoenix
>
> The resort you are staying at is basically smack dab in the middle of
> the metro Phoenix area.
>
> The closest course is the Biltmore. The Adobe course is a traditional
> layout (tree lined/all grass), that is nice. The rack rate is steep,
> but they might offer late afternoon rates.
>
> I can always recommend Papago, it is a city of Phoenix municipal that
> is a great golf course but a little scruffy as many munis are. No
> frills for sure but a pure golf experience in a nice setting.
>
> A little further south is Vistal, up against the South Mountain and
> with great views and very good rates.
>
> Longbow GC in Mesa is a great course with rates 1/2 what they would be
> if the course were in Scottdsdale.
>
> The TPC Scottsdale Champions course just re-opened in November
> (formerly the Desert Course) after a $10M makeover and maintains
> reasonable rates.
>
> The Golf Club Estrella has been running specials in the paper for $99
> including dozen balls... it's a bit out there (SW) but probably not
> any farther than Rancho Manana.
>
> Some other places with lower rates that I am aware of:
> The 500 Club (NW)
> Palm Valley (W)
> Coldwater (SW)
> Foothills (S)
> Hillcrest (NW)
> Courses at Sun City Grand (NW)
> (Cimmaron, Granite Falls, Desert Springs)
> Lone Tree (SE)
>
> Plenty of others and just as many that I would recommend avoiding.
> Feel free to ask on the forum here for feedback on any specific
> courses you are considering.
>
> Tom

30 Jan 2008 19:33:07

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 13:26:55 -0800, "Aodhan" <a169b@webnntp.invalid >
wrote:

>> I can always recommend Papago, it is a city of Phoenix municipal that
>> is a great golf course but a little scruffy as many munis are. No
>> frills for sure but a pure golf experience in a nice setting.
>
>A LITTLE scruffy? I've seen dogs with mange that weren't that scruffy...
>
>When are they closing it for the renovation?
>
>John

The course itself wasn't bad at all when I last played it in
September, but I do look forward to the renovation and new management.

Unless something has changed, the plan is to close in April and be
open again in the Nov-Dec timeframe.

Tom

31 Jan 2008 09:27:40

On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:56:31 -0800 (PST), lanejx@parknicollet.com
wrote:

>Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should ad that my standards are
>pretty low. We are coming down from Minneapolis and I almost always
>play public courses here. This will be my first winter getaway to
>play golf. So, a little "scruffy" probably won't bother me a whole
>lot. If the course really sucks, that another story. Also, we aren't
>very good. I usually shoot in the mid to high 90's and my wife has
>really just started playing last year. So a course that is a little
>more "forgiving" would be nice.
>
>Keep the tips coming!

Given that information, I can also recommend two other munis that are
in good shape, won't beat you up and are inexpensive.

Ken McDonald in Tempe.
Dobson Ranch in Mesa.

03 Feb 2008 20:23:32

On Jan 31, 10:27 am, Tom Yost <t...@nospamme.com > wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jan 2008 15:56:31 -0800 (PST), lan...@parknicollet.com
> wrote:
>
> >Thanks for the suggestions so far. I should ad that my standards are
> >pretty low. We are coming down from Minneapolis and I almost always
> >play public courses here. This will be my first winter getaway to
> >play golf. So, a little "scruffy" probably won't bother me a whole
> >lot. If the course really sucks, that another story. Also, we aren't
> >very good. I usually shoot in the mid to high 90's and my wife has
> >really just started playing last year. So a course that is a little
> >more "forgiving" would be nice.
>
> >Keep the tips coming!
>
> Given that information, I can also recommend two other munis that are
> in good shape, won't beat you up and are inexpensive.
>
> Ken McDonald in Tempe.
> Dobson Ranch in Mesa.

Thanks again for all of the help. Looking forward to some sun!