30 May 2007 02:50:18
Colin Wilson
Something I've always pondered ...

Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?

--
Cheers
Colin Wilson

30 May 2007 03:09:26
Bobby Knight
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:50:18 GMT, Colin Wilson
<publish@removethis.kyneton.net.au > wrote:

>Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
>sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?

You surprise me Colin. You know perfectly well why this is done. If
you really don't, I'm even more surprised.
--
___,

/
.
"Someone likes every shot"!
bk

30 May 2007 03:11:53
Chris Bellomy
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

Colin Wilson <publish@removethis.kyneton.net.au > wrote:
> Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
> sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?

There's supposed to be a heart over there somewhere or something.

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member

30 May 2007 03:27:33
Bobby Knight
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

On Wed, 30 May 2007 03:11:53 -0000, Chris Bellomy
<puevf@tbbqfubj.arg.invalid > wrote:

>Colin Wilson <publish@removethis.kyneton.net.au> wrote:
>> Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
>> sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?
>
>There's supposed to be a heart over there somewhere or something.

http://www.answers.com/topic/heart

STRUCTURE

In the human body, the heart is normally situated to the left of the
middle of the thorax, underneath the breastbone (see diagrams). The
heart is usually felt to be on the left side because the left heart
(left ventricle) is stronger (it pumps to all body parts). The left
lung is smaller than the right lung because the heart occupies more of
the left hemithorax.

bk

30 May 2007 21:18:16
david s-a

Colin Wilson wrote:
> Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
> sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?

Reminds me of a cartoon of Napoleon with his left hand tucked in his
coat over his right lung....caption "I feel a right tit!"

cheers
david

30 May 2007 11:59:55
Howard Brazee
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:50:18 GMT, Colin Wilson
<publish@removethis.kyneton.net.au > wrote:

>Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
>sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?

Basically, the "heart" thing is symbolic anyway. The lung works just
as good, or with lots of women, the upper left chest. It's not about
the organ that pumps blood.

30 May 2007 12:54:30
Colin Wilson

Chris Bellomy wrote:

> There's supposed to be a heart over there somewhere or something.

Well, that was the point of my question. It's perpetuating ignorance or
a myth. The heart lies angled across and only very slightly to the left
of the breastbone, and definitely not way across under your left tit.

One person in the picture (woman far right) has got it close to right
though.

--
Cheers
Colin Wilson
Trentham Golf Club: http://www.trenthamgolf.com
Barnbougle Dunes: http://publishing.kyneton.net.au/barnbougle

30 May 2007 09:05:48
Frank Ketchum

"Colin Wilson" <publish@removethis.kyneton.net.au > wrote in message

> Well, that was the point of my question. It's perpetuating ignorance or a
> myth. The heart lies angled across and only very slightly to the left of
> the breastbone, and definitely not way across under your left tit.

You are right. After all, the point of the US national anthem is an anatomy
lesson.

30 May 2007 06:23:12
me
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

On May 30, 8:54 am, Colin Wilson <publ...@removethis.kyneton.net.au >
wrote:
> Chris Bellomy wrote:
> > There's supposed to be a heart over there somewhere or something.
>
> Well, that was the point of my question. It's perpetuating ignorance or
> a myth. The heart lies angled across and only very slightly to the left
> of the breastbone, and definitely not way across under your left tit.

My hand stretches from my sternum to my left arm pit. Just
how "centered" would satisfy your pedantry?

> One person in the picture (woman far right) has got it close to right
> though.

30 May 2007 14:09:49
Bear
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:50:18 GMT, Colin Wilson
<publish@removethis.kyneton.net.au > wrote:

>Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
>sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?

Poking the Yanks with a pointy stick.

30 May 2007 08:33:04
Steve H.

On May 30, 9:23 am, me <oconn...@slr.orl.lmco.com > wrote:
> On May 30, 8:54 am, Colin Wilson <publ...@removethis.kyneton.net.au>
> wrote:
>
> > Chris Bellomy wrote:
> > > There's supposed to be a heart over there somewhere or something.
>
> > Well, that was the point of my question. It's perpetuating ignorance or
> > a myth. The heart lies angled across and only very slightly to the left
> > of the breastbone, and definitely not way across under your left tit.
>
> My hand stretches from my sternum to my left arm pit. Just
> how "centered" would satisfy your pedantry?

LOL... colin's a tad pissy for the moment, otherwise a good read :)

30 May 2007 08:38:36
Steve H.

On May 30, 7:59 am, Howard Brazee <how...@brazee.net > wrote:
> On Wed, 30 May 2007 02:50:18 GMT, Colin Wilson
>
> <publ...@removethis.kyneton.net.au> wrote:
> >Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
> >sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?
>
> Basically, the "heart" thing is symbolic anyway.

Hail Caesar!

30 May 2007 09:58:59
annika1980
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

On May 29, 10:50 pm, Colin Wilson <publ...@removethis.kyneton.net.au >
wrote:
> Looking at the "Photo of the Day" on pgatour.com, why when Americans
> sing their national anthem do they put their hand over their left lung?

For the same reason that we wipe our cracks during the Australian
national anthem.

30 May 2007 17:34:39
Chris Bellomy
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

Colin Wilson <publish@removethis.kyneton.net.au > wrote:
> Chris Bellomy wrote:
>
>> There's supposed to be a heart over there somewhere or something.
>
> Well, that was the point of my question. It's perpetuating ignorance or
> a myth. The heart lies angled across and only very slightly to the left
> of the breastbone, and definitely not way across under your left tit.

"DAMMIT, JIM, I'M A GOLFER, NOT A DOCTOR!"

--
Chris Bellomy
C-List Charter Member

30 May 2007 22:18:25
Colin Wilson

annika1980 wrote:

> For the same reason that we wipe our cracks during the Australian
> national anthem.

Except you'd think it was Austria's.

As least we're girt.

--
Cheers
Colin Wilson
Trentham Golf Club: http://www.trenthamgolf.com
Barnbougle Dunes: http://publishing.kyneton.net.au/barnbougle

30 May 2007 22:14:49
Frank Ketchum

> annika1980 wrote:
>
>> For the same reason that we wipe our cracks during the Australian
>> national anthem.
>
> Except you'd think it was Austria's.

Austria! Let's throw another shrimp on the barbie!

01 Jun 2007 10:36:14
Aodhan
Re: Something I've always pondered ...

> Well, that was the point of my question. It's perpetuating ignorance or
> a myth. The heart lies angled across and only very slightly to the left
> of the breastbone, and definitely not way across under your left tit.

Unless you're dextrocardic, in which case you're just facked anyway.

John