29 Apr 2006 17:17:56
Tony
Rules: ball moved after address -- Zurich New Orleans

I was watching the Zurich at New Oleans without paying much attention.
Someone stepped away from their ball on the green, stating it moved.

A rules official came by and after some discussion concluded the wind
blew the ball. The player putted out and went on to the next hole.

The action was reviewed by the committee, and the player was deemed to
have addressed the ball before it moved.

RoG: one stroke, replace the ball and go on. In this case the ball was
not replaced. Is the penalty still a stoke? There was no material
advantage in making the putt an inch or two shorter and the player had
asked an official at the time.

A lawyer might say off with his head, but what's the real world correct
thing to do here. One stroke penalty, and no penalty for not having
replaced the ball since it was played that way after the player talked
with an official. One could say he should have known if he addressed
the ball, I suppose.

29 Apr 2006 19:23:53
R.V. Kint
Re: Rules: ball moved after address -- Zurich New Orleans

"Tony" <ajw27703@yahoo.com > writes:

> I was watching the Zurich at New Oleans without paying much attention.
> Someone stepped away from their ball on the green, stating it moved.
>
> A rules official came by and after some discussion concluded the wind
> blew the ball. The player putted out and went on to the next hole.
>
> The action was reviewed by the committee, and the player was deemed to
> have addressed the ball before it moved.
>
> RoG: one stroke, replace the ball and go on. In this case the ball was
> not replaced. Is the penalty still a stoke? There was no material
> advantage in making the putt an inch or two shorter and the player had
> asked an official at the time.
>
> A lawyer might say off with his head, but what's the real world correct
> thing to do here. One stroke penalty, and no penalty for not having
> replaced the ball since it was played that way after the player talked
> with an official. One could say he should have known if he addressed
> the ball, I suppose.

Tony, have a look at Decisions 34-3/7 and 34-3/8.

The ruling depends on how the Committee made its determination
that the ball had not been addressed.

Some may recall that this situation occurred on the LPGA
tour in 2003 or 2004. To one of the Swedish players,
I think.

Roger Kint

30 Apr 2006 06:43:26
long&left

Tony wrote:
> I was watching the Zurich at New Oleans without paying much attention.
> Someone stepped away from their ball on the green, stating it moved.
>
> A rules official came by and after some discussion concluded the wind
> blew the ball. The player putted out and went on to the next hole.
>
> The action was reviewed by the committee, and the player was deemed to
> have addressed the ball before it moved.
>
> RoG: one stroke, replace the ball and go on. In this case the ball was
> not replaced. Is the penalty still a stoke? There was no material
> advantage in making the putt an inch or two shorter and the player had
> asked an official at the time.
>
> A lawyer might say off with his head, but what's the real world correct
> thing to do here. One stroke penalty, and no penalty for not having
> replaced the ball since it was played that way after the player talked
> with an official. One could say he should have known if he addressed
> the ball, I suppose.

if this is the same situation that I saw, he did replace the ball.
Dave