30 Sep 2007 17:45:51
Gordo
RSG Pheonix 2007

Yesterday, 3 members of RSG met in adverse weather conditions (OK, it
was sunny, about 84=B0 with a gentle breeze) and had the first ever RSG
Phoenix. I got together with Tom Yost and Aodhan for a bit of golf at
Dobson Ranch golf course in Mesa. The course was typical for this
time of year in Phoenix. They're shutting down tomorrow for annual
overseed, but the good news is that makes the fairways (when we were
in them) fast and hard. Each of us had the requisite RSG length
drives. Aodhan was almost picked off by an errant tee shot by a moron
wearing his shorts below his hips and wondering where the nearest
stash was. In his defense, That boy (Aodhan) can certainly move!

It was the first time I've played with either person, and they hadn't
played golf together either. What we found is that we each were
similar in handicap, our games were rather similar and the scoring was
good. I instantly made two new friends. Just sorry that I met them
this late as my wife and I are getting ready to move out of the
Valley.

While final scores will not be shared, I would like to say that we
could have used Tom Yost in New Orleans right after Katrina! That guy
lulled us to sleep on the front 9, but came alive on the back. He had
one chip in birdie and one putted birdie (he also had one chip in
birdie on the front) Very solid game. Aodhan is a monster off the
tee making a swing that can fell a redwood. I'll not discuss his
putting.

Bottom line is that we all had a good time and golf once again crossed
borders. If there's a 2008 Event, I'll be sorry to miss it, but if I
get back this way, I'd look forward to playing golf with either of
them again.

30 Sep 2007 19:14:37
annika1980
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Sep 30, 8:45 pm, Gordo <golf...@gmail.com > wrote:

> While final scores will not be shared .....

The Professor is gonna be pissed!

30 Sep 2007 19:36:27
Gordo
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Sep 30, 7:14 pm, annika1980 <annika1...@aol.com > wrote:
> On Sep 30, 8:45 pm, Gordo <golf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > While final scores will not be shared .....
>
> The Professor is gonna be pissed!

Naw, I'll share them with him when I see him later in October.

30 Sep 2007 20:40:55
Dene
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Sep 30, 5:45 pm, Gordo <golf...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Yesterday, 3 members of RSG met in adverse weather conditions (OK, it
> was sunny, about 84=B0 with a gentle breeze) and had the first ever RSG
> Phoenix. I got together with Tom Yost and Aodhan for a bit of golf at
> Dobson Ranch golf course in Mesa. The course was typical for this
> time of year in Phoenix. They're shutting down tomorrow for annual
> overseed, but the good news is that makes the fairways (when we were
> in them) fast and hard. Each of us had the requisite RSG length
> drives. Aodhan was almost picked off by an errant tee shot by a moron
> wearing his shorts below his hips and wondering where the nearest
> stash was. In his defense, That boy (Aodhan) can certainly move!
>
> It was the first time I've played with either person, and they hadn't
> played golf together either. What we found is that we each were
> similar in handicap, our games were rather similar and the scoring was
> good. I instantly made two new friends. Just sorry that I met them
> this late as my wife and I are getting ready to move out of the
> Valley.
>
> While final scores will not be shared, I would like to say that we
> could have used Tom Yost in New Orleans right after Katrina! That guy
> lulled us to sleep on the front 9, but came alive on the back. He had
> one chip in birdie and one putted birdie (he also had one chip in
> birdie on the front) Very solid game. Aodhan is a monster off the
> tee making a swing that can fell a redwood. I'll not discuss his
> putting.
>
> Bottom line is that we all had a good time and golf once again crossed
> borders. If there's a 2008 Event, I'll be sorry to miss it, but if I
> get back this way, I'd look forward to playing golf with either of
> them again.

Ya think you'd know how to spell pa-hewie-nicks by now. I'm bummed
you're moving. We're planning a full week in Az next April instead of
the 4 day flash.

Glad you and the boys had a great time. Mid 50's and rain here. I'm
already tired of winter.

-Greg

01 Oct 2007 02:37:28
Gordo
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Sep 30, 8:40 pm, Dene <gdst...@aol.com > wrote:
> On Sep 30, 5:45 pm, Gordo <golf...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Yesterday, 3 members of RSG met in adverse weather conditions (OK, it
> > was sunny, about 84=B0 with a gentle breeze) and had the first ever RSG
> > Phoenix. I got together with Tom Yost and Aodhan for a bit of golf at
> > Dobson Ranch golf course in Mesa. The course was typical for this
> > time of year in Phoenix. They're shutting down tomorrow for annual
> > overseed, but the good news is that makes the fairways (when we were
> > in them) fast and hard. Each of us had the requisite RSG length
> > drives. Aodhan was almost picked off by an errant tee shot by a moron
> > wearing his shorts below his hips and wondering where the nearest
> > stash was. In his defense, That boy (Aodhan) can certainly move!
>
> > It was the first time I've played with either person, and they hadn't
> > played golf together either. What we found is that we each were
> > similar in handicap, our games were rather similar and the scoring was
> > good. I instantly made two new friends. Just sorry that I met them
> > this late as my wife and I are getting ready to move out of the
> > Valley.
>
> > While final scores will not be shared, I would like to say that we
> > could have used Tom Yost in New Orleans right after Katrina! That guy
> > lulled us to sleep on the front 9, but came alive on the back. He had
> > one chip in birdie and one putted birdie (he also had one chip in
> > birdie on the front) Very solid game. Aodhan is a monster off the
> > tee making a swing that can fell a redwood. I'll not discuss his
> > putting.
>
> > Bottom line is that we all had a good time and golf once again crossed
> > borders. If there's a 2008 Event, I'll be sorry to miss it, but if I
> > get back this way, I'd look forward to playing golf with either of
> > them again.
>
> Ya think you'd know how to spell pa-hewie-nicks by now. I'm bummed
> you're moving. We're planning a full week in Az next April instead of
> the 4 day flash.
>
> Glad you and the boys had a great time. Mid 50's and rain here. I'm
> already tired of winter.
>
> -Greg- Hide quoted text -

I am so looking forward to that type of weather, though I'm sure I'll
be crying the first time I get chased off the course due to bad
weather. With the proper planning, we can still get together for a
round. Have to see what the job situation is.

01 Oct 2007 08:04:45
John van der Pflum
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Sun, 30 Sep 2007 17:45:51 -0700, Gordo <golfzlf@gmail.com > wrote:
>. Aodhan is a monster off the
>tee making a swing that can fell a redwood. I'll not discuss his
>putting.

I think that description fits just about everyone in RSG.
--
jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

01 Oct 2007 06:33:40
annika1980
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Oct 1, 8:04 am, John van der Pflum
> I'll not discuss his putting.
>
> I think that description fits just about everyone in RSG.

Well since we all hit it 385 and hit every green in regulation
(sometimes even driving short par-5 holes with 4-irons), it must be
our putters that are holding us back.

01 Oct 2007 06:37:59
Gordo
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Oct 1, 6:10 am, bigoldc...@yahoo.com wrote:
> On Oct 1, 5:37 am, Gordo <golf...@gmail.com> wrote:

RSG

> > > Ya think you'd know how to spell pa-hewie-nicks by now. I'm bummed
> > > you're moving. We're planning a full week in Az next April instead of
> > > the 4 day flash.
>
> > > Glad you and the boys had a great time. Mid 50's and rain here. I'm
> > > already tired of winter.
>
> > > -Greg- Hide quoted text -

> > I am so looking forward to that type of weather, though I'm sure I'll
> > be crying the first time I get chased off the course due to bad
> > weather. With the proper planning, we can still get together for a
> > round. Have to see what the job situation is.- Hide quoted text -

> I thought you just moved out west, what happened?- Hide quoted text -

We did right after Katrina. Suffice to say that this area is no where
near what I remember from the time I was in the Air Force, and my
daughters have moved back to New Orleans. We're going to move closer
to them.

01 Oct 2007 06:42:25
Tom Yost
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

First of all, let me say that due to his transient nature, I'll give
Chris a pass on the mis-spelling of PHOENIX in the subject line ;-)

It was indeed a pleasure to meet with John and Chris, a couple of real
nice guys and pretty good golfers as well. Unfortunately, no photo
evidence of the first RSG Phoenix meet up exists, so I will offer a
few random observations.

Chris: His screen name is Gordo and he says it's his middle name, but
if you speak Spanish, you might understand that his nickname made it
easier for me to pick him out from the other 20 golfers that were
milling around the practice area. :-) Chris hits a mean draw that
runs a mile. A genuinely nice guy. I'm by no means any kind of
fashion maven, but it looks like he buys his clothes at Costco.

John: I knew he was a younger fella, so when the guy with the "TAP
OUT" logo outfit, mid calf length shorts and cap on backwards showed
up, we kinda guessed that would be Aodhan. John blisters the ball off
the tee and with the bare scalped fairways, was turning the course
into a pitch and putt. Or more like a pitch and a pitch and a putt and
a putt. And a putt. (Need to work on that short game John!) :-) A
fun guy to golf with and great sense of humor.

I was the senior citizen of the group, and it was nice of the guys to
offer me the use of the forward tees, but my pride prevented me from
moving up. Instead, joined them on the blue tees, and despite being
continually out driven, managed to scramble around and stay in the
game. A little wildness off the tee allowed me to observe the trees
and adjacent fairways. Got pretty lucky with two chip-in birdies and
one 15' curling birdie putt.

We all noted the young lady driving the beverage cart had some massive
mammaries, unfortunately the rest of her was somewhat massive as well.
I had to supress the inclination to order a milk on her first visit.

None of us were really serious into any sort of competition and the
round was relaxed as we chatted and got to know each other. Our games
were similar, but at the end, the scores were totalled and by a slim
one stroke margin I must modestly declare myself:

Tom Yost CHAMPION OF RSG-PHOENIX FALL 2007 MINI MEET-UP!!

Nice round guys, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to future
events.

Tom

01 Oct 2007 06:46:28
Gordo
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Oct 1, 6:42 am, Tom Yost <t...@bloodyvikings.com > wrote:

> Tom Yost CHAMPION OF RSG-PHOENIX FALL 2007 MINI MEET-UP!!
>
> Nice round guys, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to future
> events.
>
> Tom

No modesty needed and I just realized that I mispelled Phoenix!
That's what I get for posting late in the evening. All the best to
you champ!

01 Oct 2007 09:55:20
John van der Pflum
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:33:40 -0700, annika1980 <annika1980@aol.com >
wrote:

>On Oct 1, 8:04 am, John van der Pflum
>> I'll not discuss his putting.
>>
>> I think that description fits just about everyone in RSG.
>
>Well since we all hit it 385 and hit every green in regulation
>(sometimes even driving short par-5 holes with 4-irons), it must be
>our putters that are holding us back.

Not me. Most of the time I have to hit a hybrid or even a 5 wood into
those par fives.
--
jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

01 Oct 2007 14:17:43
Bobby Knight
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:55:20 -0400, John van der Pflum
<nowhammymyspammy@bite.org > wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:33:40 -0700, annika1980 <annika1980@aol.com>
>wrote:
>
>>On Oct 1, 8:04 am, John van der Pflum
>>> I'll not discuss his putting.
>>>
>>> I think that description fits just about everyone in RSG.
>>
>>Well since we all hit it 385 and hit every green in regulation
>>(sometimes even driving short par-5 holes with 4-irons), it must be
>>our putters that are holding us back.
>>

>Not me. Most of the time I have to hit a hybrid or even a 5 wood into
>those par fives.

Not I. I can't remember the last time I had to hit more than a half
sand wedge, or just a chip, to even the longest of par fives.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
Oh...you mean in regulation. My bad.
--
___,

/
.
"Someone likes every shot"!
bk

01 Oct 2007 11:18:56
John van der Pflum
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 14:17:43 GMT, Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net >
wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:55:20 -0400, John van der Pflum
><nowhammymyspammy@bite.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:33:40 -0700, annika1980 <annika1980@aol.com>
>>wrote:
>>
>>>On Oct 1, 8:04 am, John van der Pflum

>>>Well since we all hit it 385 and hit every green in regulation
>>>(sometimes even driving short par-5 holes with 4-irons), it must be
>>>our putters that are holding us back.
>>>

>>Not me. Most of the time I have to hit a hybrid or even a 5 wood into
>>those par fives.
>
>Not I. I can't remember the last time I had to hit more than a half
>sand wedge, or just a chip, to even the longest of par fives.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>.
>Oh...you mean in regulation. My bad.

We're talking off the tee.
--
jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

01 Oct 2007 11:19:44
John van der Pflum
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 06:46:28 -0700, Gordo <golfzlf@gmail.com > wrote:

>On Oct 1, 6:42 am, Tom Yost <t...@bloodyvikings.com> wrote:
>

>> Tom Yost CHAMPION OF RSG-PHOENIX FALL 2007 MINI MEET-UP!!
>>
>> Nice round guys, I really enjoyed it and am looking forward to future
>> events.
>>
>> Tom
>

>No modesty needed and I just realized that I mispelled Phoenix!
>That's what I get for posting late in the evening. All the best to
>you champ!

BTW -- I think you misspelled "champ". Isn't the "a" supposed to be a
"u"?
--
jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

01 Oct 2007 08:39:07
Aodhan
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

> into a pitch and putt. Or more like a pitch and a pitch and a putt and
> a putt. And a putt. (Need to work on that short game John!) :-) A
> fun guy to golf with and great sense of humor.

Yeah, yeah, putting sucked. You forgot to note that I reached two of the
par fives in two, and was just off the green to the left on a third.

> and adjacent fairways. Got pretty lucky with two chip-in birdies and
> one 15' curling birdie putt.

**cough**MIRACLE!!**cough**

> We all noted the young lady driving the beverage cart had some massive
> mammaries, unfortunately the rest of her was somewhat massive as well.
> I had to supress the inclination to order a milk on her first visit.

Enough said ::shudder::. I will offer the same observation that I gave on
the course in that the young lady from the ASU golf team that was the cart
girl at Karsten the previous weekend was worth the price of admission even
without the golf.

> None of us were really serious into any sort of competition and the
> round was relaxed as we chatted and got to know each other. Our games
> were similar, but at the end, the scores were totalled and by a slim
> one stroke margin I must modestly declare myself:
>
> Tom Yost CHAMPION OF RSG-PHOENIX FALL 2007 MINI MEET-UP!!

I'm just angling to get strokes the next time we play :)

Well done!

John

annika1980
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Oct 1, 9:55 am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org >
wrote:

> >Well since we all hit it 385 and hit every green in regulation
> >(sometimes even driving short par-5 holes with 4-irons), it must be
> >our putters that are holding us back.
>
> Not me. Most of the time I have to hit a hybrid or even a 5 wood into
> those par fives.

Yeah, but you're skinny.

01 Oct 2007 12:35:31
John van der Pflum
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:22:30 -0700, annika1980 <annika1980@aol.com >
wrote:

>On Oct 1, 9:55 am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org>
>wrote:
>
>> >Well since we all hit it 385 and hit every green in regulation
>> >(sometimes even driving short par-5 holes with 4-irons), it must be
>> >our putters that are holding us back.
>>
>> Not me. Most of the time I have to hit a hybrid or even a 5 wood into
>> those par fives.
>
>Yeah, but you're skinny.

Not for long. I'm going to start roiding up this winter for next
season.
--
jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

01 Oct 2007 16:43:15
Bobby Knight
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:35:31 -0400, John van der Pflum
<nowhammymyspammy@bite.org > wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:22:30 -0700, annika1980 <annika1980@aol.com>
>wrote:

>>> Not me. Most of the time I have to hit a hybrid or even a 5 wood into
>>> those par fives.
>>
>>Yeah, but you're skinny.
>
>Not for long. I'm going to start roiding up this winter for next
>season.

Give it a go. I'd like to see you at around 155 or so.
--
___,

/
.
"Someone likes every shot"!
bk

01 Oct 2007 11:17:26
Tom Yost
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 16:43:15 GMT, Bobby Knight <bknight@conramp.net >
wrote:

>On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:35:31 -0400, John van der Pflum
><nowhammymyspammy@bite.org> wrote:
>
>>On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:22:30 -0700, annika1980 <annika1980@aol.com>
>>wrote:

>>>Yeah, but you're skinny.
>>
>>Not for long. I'm going to start roiding up this winter for next
>>season.
>
>Give it a go. I'd like to see you at around 155 or so.

He might have to get new trousers with a 30" waistline.

01 Oct 2007 11:36:46
Gordo
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Oct 1, 9:43 am, Bobby Knight <bkni...@conramp.net > wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:35:31 -0400, John van der Pflum
>

> <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org> wrote:
> >On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 09:22:30 -0700, annika1980 <annika1...@aol.com>
> >wrote:

> >>Yeah, but you're skinny.
>
> >Not for long. I'm going to start roiding up this winter for next
> >season.
>
> Give it a go. I'd like to see you at around 155 or so.
> --
> ___,
> |
> /
> .
> "Someone likes every shot"!
> bk- Hide quoted text -

That's my left leg. Damn Pflum, you must be skinny! :-)

01 Oct 2007 22:10:15
John van der Pflum
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:36:46 -0700, Gordo <golfzlf@gmail.com > wrote:

>On Oct 1, 9:43 am, Bobby Knight <bkni...@conramp.net> wrote:
>> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 12:35:31 -0400, John van der Pflum
>>

>> <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org> wrote:

>> >Not for long. I'm going to start roiding up this winter for next
>> >season.
>>
>> Give it a go. I'd like to see you at around 155 or so.
>> --
>> ___,
>> |
>> /
>> .
>> "Someone likes every shot"!
>> bk- Hide quoted text -

>That's my left leg. Damn Pflum, you must be skinny! :-)

I'm a BEEPing cannon, baby!!!

http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/46744763
--
jvdp
http://www.rsgcincinnati.com

01 Oct 2007 23:20:40
Dene
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On Oct 1, 7:10 pm, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org >
wrote:
> On Mon, 01 Oct 2007 11:36:46 -0700, Gordo <golf...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >On Oct 1, 9:43 am, Bobby Knight <bkni...@conramp.net> wrote:

> >> Give it a go. I'd like to see you at around 155 or so.
> >> --
> >> ___,
> >> |
> >> /
> >> .
> >> "Someone likes every shot"!
> >> bk- Hide quoted text -

> >That's my left leg. Damn Pflum, you must be skinny! :-)
>
> I'm a BEEPing cannon, baby!!!
>
> http://www.pbase.com/bret/image/46744763
> --
> jvdphttp://www.rsgcincinnati.com-Hide quoted text -

That is great form. The real question is this.....did the ball go
straight?

-Greg

02 Oct 2007 05:08:13
johnty
Re: RSG Pheonix 2007

On 1 Oct, 14:33, annika1980 <annika1...@aol.com > wrote:
> On Oct 1, 8:04 am, John van der Pflum
>
> > I'll not discuss his putting.
>
> > I think that description fits just about everyone in RSG.
>
> Well since we all hit it 385 and hit every green in regulation
> (sometimes even driving short par-5 holes with 4-irons), it must be
> our putters that are holding us back.

No, that's not it. I remember a thread a while back on putting
averages: no-one admitted to anything higher than 1.559

What else could it be?