29 Sep 2006 12:41:22
3putt
OT - Phil Mickelson and golf

Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month or
so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It looked
like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting stroke.
Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about the family
until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time with my family"
seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.

29 Sep 2006 08:25:31
warren montgomery
Re: OT - Phil Mickelson and golf

"3putt" <golf24/7@golfing.com > wrote in message
> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
> Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month
> or so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It
> looked like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting
> stroke. Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about
> the family until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time
> with my family" seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.
Mickelson get's a lot of crap for this kind of thing, but I actualy take him
at face value. He's won almost 5 Million this year. How much money does he
need? For him, spending time with his family is more important than winning
just for the sake of winning, which, if he has plenty of money, is the only
motivation left. It's disappointing to fans and it means he's never going
to have the kind of record that a "full time" tour star with his talent
should, but I doubt he's going to look back 20 years from now and wish he
spent more time playing. Like I said in one of the ryder cup posts, the guy
plays his best golf in the early spring and kind of goofs off the rest of
the year. This just fits the pattern.

--
Warren Montgomery (wamontgomery@att.net)
http://home.att.net/~wamontgomery

29 Sep 2006 07:50:58
oconnell@slr.orl.lmco.com

3putt wrote:
> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
> Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month or
> so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It looked
> like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting stroke.
> Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about the family
> until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time with my family"
> seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.

I'm not sure why you don't accept his explanation? Has he ever lied

before? He isn't the only one to advance such an explanation. Jack
claims his career suffered in the early years of parenthood because
he concentrated more on that than his golf game. Davis Love III took
his family in some motor home during the summer to spend the time
with his kids. That sound like "focusing on his game"? One of the
TV announcers a couple of years back wrote a long article about how
much his life changed when he stopped competing and started
announcing. Phil has commented before that he knows he could
probably be better, but doesn't want to do what he'd have to do to
get there.

29 Sep 2006 08:17:31
cja

3putt wrote:

> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
> Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month or
> so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It looked
> like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting stroke.
> Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about the family
> until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time with my family"
> seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.

I don't get your thinking about the age of his kids. They're about 7,
5, and 3 years old right now. I think at that age they need a lot of
his time. Maybe 10 or 15 years from now the kids won't be as much of a
factor for him. For the last few years he hasn't played much in the
fall. I'm not surprised his schedule looks similar this year.

- cja

29 Sep 2006 12:41:16
Zuke

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006, 3putt wrote:

> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
> Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month or
> so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It looked
> like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting stroke.
> Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about the family
> until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time with my family"
> seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.

That's when you want to spend time with your children, when they are
young. Maybe some of the golfers are mature enough to figure
that out.

29 Sep 2006 15:23:35
sfb
Re: OT - Phil Mickelson and golf

He has publicly said that he plans to shut down after the PGA. He did it
last year and would have this year except for the Ryder Cup. Conspiracy
theories are a dime a dozen so buy all you want, but he had said it is
because his kids are in school and can't travel with him too much anymore.

"3putt" <golf24/7@golfing.com > wrote in message
> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
> Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month
> or so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It
> looked like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting
> stroke. Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about
> the family until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time
> with my family" seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.

29 Sep 2006 21:46:59
Howard Brazee

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 15:23:35 -0400, "sfb" <sfb@spam.net > wrote:

>He has publicly said that he plans to shut down after the PGA. He did it
>last year and would have this year except for the Ryder Cup. Conspiracy
>theories are a dime a dozen so buy all you want, but he had said it is
>because his kids are in school and can't travel with him too much anymore.

That is a program that works for him. He did get his 59 in the
off-season though, but it is apparent to all that he wasn't playing to
his standards during the Ryder Cup.

And he is aware that next year the season will be longer than this
year.

29 Sep 2006 15:03:20
annika1980

warren montgomery wrote:
> > Mickelson get's a lot of crap for this kind of thing, but I actualy take him
> at face value. He's won almost 5 Million this year. How much money does he
> need? For him, spending time with his family is more important than winning
> just for the sake of winning, which, if he has plenty of money, is the only
> motivation left. It's disappointing to fans and it means he's never going
> to have the kind of record that a "full time" tour star with his talent
> should, but I doubt he's going to look back 20 years from now and wish he
> spent more time playing. Like I said in one of the ryder cup posts, the guy
> plays his best golf in the early spring and kind of goofs off the rest of
> the year. This just fits the pattern.

How about the 59 he shot at Poipu in the same event?
Phil always takes his family with him to Hawaii. What better place to
spend time with your kids? No sir, there can be only one viable
explanation ... PHIL is a pussy.
He's shit-scared of playing Tiger face-to-face.

And piss on Mike Weir! They should pay ME $150K (or whatever last
place money is) and I'll go over there and play Poipu a couple of
times. Hell, I own that track! Even birdied a few of the shorter
sumbitches. Let's see if Tiger can fade a pair of 78's, baby!
I'd be like, "Fuck off, Stevie! I always take pics of my fellow
competitors during their swings. Let's see how good T hits it when the
motor drive on the Fabulous EOS-1V is tearing off about 10
frames-per-second."

30 Sep 2006 02:30:07
The poster formerly known as C

"warren montgomery" <wamontgomery@worldnet.att.net > wrote in message
> "3putt" <golf24/7@golfing.com> wrote in message
>> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in
>> November? Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding
>> for a month or so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given
>> him? It looked like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost
>> his putting stroke. Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't
>> think about the family until the end of their careers. "I want to spend
>> more time with my family" seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are
>> so young.

> Mickelson get's a lot of crap for this kind of thing, but I actualy take
> him at face value. He's won almost 5 Million this year. How much money
> does he need? For him, spending time with his family is more important
> than winning just for the sake of winning, which, if he has plenty of
> money, is the only motivation left. It's disappointing to fans and it
> means he's never going to have the kind of record that a "full time" tour
> star with his talent should, but I doubt he's going to look back 20 years
> from now and wish he spent more time playing. Like I said in one of the
> ryder cup posts, the guy plays his best golf in the early spring and kind
> of goofs off the rest of the year. This just fits the pattern.

Johnny Miller pointed out that most of his wins were by the end of May. As
the season wore on, he was not as successful. Phil has played good golf
late in the season, last year winning the PGA and missing a playoff in it
the year before plus winning at Poipu Bay.

As far as family goes, when you see his daughters rushing up to meet him,
and see the expressions on their faces and his face as well, you can tell
that he reaaaaally loves them. Lee Trevino was on TGC once talking about
his career and how he put it ahead of family, sometimes going to the driving
range on Christmas day. I don't think that Phil wants that kind of life for
himself.

I think Phil knows he has talent and can get by without a bunch of
Vijay-like sessions on the range. He talks about making the most of the
time he spends with Rick Smith and not about committing huge amounts of time
to practice. Mostly he structures his golf around his family and not the
other way around. I think that is admirable.

30 Sep 2006 05:38:59
Big_Fan
Re: OT - Phil Mickelson and golf

[quote] The PGA said Mickelson told them after the Ryder Cup "he would
not be competing the remainder of the year." [unquote]

Well he certainly didn't compete in the Ryder Cup. Shouldn't he have
announced that he was through competing for the remainder of the year
on June 18th?

3putt wrote:
> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
> Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month or
> so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It looked
> like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting stroke.
> Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about the family
> until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time with my family"
> seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.

30 Sep 2006 18:11:32
AKA Gray Asphalt

"annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com > wrote in message

> warren montgomery wrote:
>> > Mickelson get's a lot of crap for this kind of thing, but I actualy
>> > take him
>> at face value. He's won almost 5 Million this year. How much money does
>> he
>> need? For him, spending time with his family is more important than
>> winning
>> just for the sake of winning, which, if he has plenty of money, is the
>> only
>> motivation left. It's disappointing to fans and it means he's never
>> going
>> to have the kind of record that a "full time" tour star with his talent
>> should, but I doubt he's going to look back 20 years from now and wish he
>> spent more time playing. Like I said in one of the ryder cup posts, the
>> guy
>> plays his best golf in the early spring and kind of goofs off the rest of
>> the year. This just fits the pattern.
>
> How about the 59 he shot at Poipu in the same event?
> Phil always takes his family with him to Hawaii. What better place to
> spend time with your kids? No sir, there can be only one viable
> explanation ... PHIL is a pussy.
> He's shit-scared of playing Tiger face-to-face.
>
> And piss on Mike Weir! They should pay ME $150K (or whatever last
> place money is) and I'll go over there and play Poipu a couple of
> times. Hell, I own that track! Even birdied a few of the shorter
> sumbitches. Let's see if Tiger can fade a pair of 78's, baby!
> I'd be like, "Fuck off, Stevie! I always take pics of my fellow
> competitors during their swings. Let's see how good T hits it when the
> motor drive on the Fabulous EOS-1V is tearing off about 10
> frames-per-second."

10 fps ...that's more than my video camera. Well really 15 fps is what they
show commercial movies at, isn't it? Can't you add an extra battery or
something?

30 Sep 2006 18:15:27
AKA Gray Asphalt
Re: OT - Phil Mickelson and golf

"3putt" <golf24/7@golfing.com > wrote in message
> Any thoughts on why Phil pulled out of the Grand Slam of Golf in November?
> Seems he might play 4 weeks in a row and then go into hiding for a month
> or so. Has he become a head case? Poor advice being given him? It
> looked like he was so messed up in the Ryder Cup that he lost his putting
> stroke. Ego? I don't buy the family thing. These guys don't think about
> the family until the end of their careers. "I want to spend more time
> with my family" seems a cop-out. Especially since his kids are so young.

His family is more important. Jack Nicklaus is already forgotten mostly, by
the new generation, but his family and the time he spent with them will
always be.

Think about this, if you feel like it ... Maybe you don't play your best
game of golf because you know how much more obsessed you'd be if you played
up to your capability. It already takes up more time and thought than it
should and it doesn't produce and real good other than entertainment. You
aren't going to win a million dollars and save kids in foster care or
something cool like that ... oops, I seem to be talking to myself.

30 Sep 2006 18:32:11
dsc
Re: OT - Phil Mickelson and golf

> Think about this, if you feel like it ... Maybe you don't play your best
> game of golf because you know how much more obsessed you'd be if you played
> up to your capability. It already takes up more time and thought than it
> should and it doesn't produce and real good other than entertainment.

... and it's pretty good exercise (if you walk and not too bad even if
you don't) and I'd rather spend 4 hours on the course than 4 hours in a
gym. :)

30 Sep 2006 19:14:54
Jack Thompson

Big_Fan wrote:
> [quote] The PGA said Mickelson told them after the Ryder Cup "he would
> not be competing the remainder of the year." [unquote]
>
> Well he certainly didn't compete in the Ryder Cup. Shouldn't he have
> announced that he was through competing for the remainder of the year
> on June 18th?

He did. It was after the 17th hole.

30 Sep 2006 19:29:01
annika1980

AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
> > Let's see how good T hits it when the
> > motor drive on the Fabulous EOS-1V is tearing off about 10
> > frames-per-second."
>
> 10 fps ...that's more than my video camera. Well really 15 fps is what they
> show commercial movies at, isn't it? Can't you add an extra battery or
> something?

Commercial movies (film) is usually shot at 24fps. Digital video is
29.97 fps.
Are you sure your video camera only does 15 fps? Or is it a still
camera that also does video?

30 Sep 2006 19:30:27
annika1980

dsc wrote:

> ... and it's pretty good exercise (if you walk and not too bad even if
> you don't) and I'd rather spend 4 hours on the course than 4 hours in a
> gym. :)

Let me guess ..... you're fat?

30 Sep 2006 19:39:31
Big_Fan

Jack Thompson wrote:
> Big_Fan wrote:
> > [quote] The PGA said Mickelson told them after the Ryder Cup "he would
> > not be competing the remainder of the year." [unquote]
> >
> > Well he certainly didn't compete in the Ryder Cup. Shouldn't he have
> > announced that he was through competing for the remainder of the year
> > on June 18th?
> >

> He did. It was after the 17th hole.

That was my point, except he didn't announce it (except by his play).

30 Sep 2006 20:50:14
AKA Gray Asphalt

> AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
>> > Let's see how good T hits it when the
>> > motor drive on the Fabulous EOS-1V is tearing off about 10
>> > frames-per-second."
>>
>> 10 fps ...that's more than my video camera. Well really 15 fps is what
>> they
>> show commercial movies at, isn't it? Can't you add an extra battery or
>> something?
>
> Commercial movies (film) is usually shot at 24fps. Digital video is
> 29.97 fps.
> Are you sure your video camera only does 15 fps? Or is it a still
> camera that also does video?

I was being funny. I guess if you have to explain it ... I didn't make that
one up either. One of the standards is 15 fps, I think. Maybe it's PAL for
commercial movies. Anyway, I meant to say that I'm impressed by the 10 fps
rate. How loud is it? It's got to be an SLR. I bet above $2000 maybe double,
no?

01 Oct 2006 01:53:11
Joe Snow

"AKA Gray Asphalt" <goodidea1950@hotmail.spam.com > wrote in message

> "annika1980" <annika1980@aol.com> wrote in message

>>> 10 fps ...that's more than my video camera. Well really 15 fps is what
>>> they
>>> show commercial movies at, isn't it? Can't you add an extra battery or
>>> something?
>>
>> Commercial movies (film) is usually shot at 24fps. Digital video is
>> 29.97 fps.
>> Are you sure your video camera only does 15 fps? Or is it a still
>> camera that also does video?
>
> I was being funny. I guess if you have to explain it ... I didn't make
> that one up either. One of the standards is 15 fps, I think. Maybe it's
> PAL for commercial movies. Anyway, I meant to say that I'm impressed by
> the 10 fps rate. How loud is it? It's got to be an SLR. I bet above $2000
> maybe double, no?

About $1600 for the body.

01 Oct 2006 05:18:16
annika1980

AKA Gray Asphalt wrote:
> I meant to say that I'm impressed by the 10 fps
> rate. How loud is it? It's got to be an SLR. I bet above $2000 maybe double,
> no?

It's loud and expensive. It's loud enough to make Tiger Woods stop his
swing halfway down the first time I used it. That's about the time I
noticed many of the pros were using 'sound blimps," big rubber things
that fit over the camera body and absorbed the sound.

01 Oct 2006 14:34:39
Howard Brazee

On 30 Sep 2006 05:38:59 -0700, "Big_Fan" <bigpufan@aol.com > wrote:

>Well he certainly didn't compete in the Ryder Cup. Shouldn't he have
>announced that he was through competing for the remainder of the year
>on June 18th?

He was in denial until the PGA championship. He might have been in
denial for the Ryder Cup, or maybe he just didn't know how to back out
of it.