28 Apr 2008 10:49:36
John van der Pflum
Member/Guest Report

I just got back into town after traveling to NC to play in a
member/guest tournament with a good friend.

Format was the typical five 9 hole matches with there being a shoot
out between the winners of the various flights to determine the
overall winner. We finished third in our flight. The guys who won
our flight (and eventually finished 2nd overall) pretty much ran away
with our flight. They beat us 6-4 but they won other matches by 7-3
and 9-1 margins. That is pretty hard to overcome.

Mostly my partner carried me the whole weekend. I drove the ball
wonderfully. I haven't gone through the stats I kept yet but I would
expect that I hit 70%+ of the fairways. The problem was I hit very
few greens. I think there were a few issues:

1. I had taken a lesson a couple of days before and was working on
shortening my back swing. I had gotten WAAAY too long and the club
was getting closed at the top. The problem with the shorter back
swing was I just wasn't finishing and firing through the ball. Thus I
was leaving a lot of shots out to the right.

2. I had a hard time with the distances at this particular course.
The yardage would be, say 170, but it just LOOKED so much longer than
that. I'd play what the yardage looked like and I think my mind was
subconsciously trying to ease up on the longer club.

3. I suck.

In any event I had a blast. The food at the event was unbelievable.
Ribs, brisket, a raw bar, mexican, burgers, prime rib, pork loin,
salmon, omelets to order, biscuits and gravy, it just went on and on.
Fantastic.
--
jvdp
Nobody fears the Chopra

28 Apr 2008 08:44:51
dene
Re: Member/Guest Report

"John van der Pflum" <nowhammymyspammy@bite.org > wrote in message
> In any event I had a blast. The food at the event was unbelievable.
> Ribs, brisket, a raw bar, mexican, burgers, prime rib, pork loin,
> salmon, omelets to order, biscuits and gravy, it just went on and on.
> Fantastic.

Let me guess. You gained a pound??

-Greg

28 Apr 2008 09:07:38
The_Professor
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Apr 28, 10:44=A0am, "dene" <d...@remove.ipns.com > wrote:
> "John van der Pflum" <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org> wrote in messagenews:nuib=
141rir6i2lvor5s1749b8pgr7bg3kt@4ax.com...

> > In any event I had a blast. =A0The food at the event was unbelievable.
> > Ribs, brisket, a raw bar, mexican, burgers, prime rib, pork loin,
> > salmon, omelets to order, biscuits and gravy, it just went on and on.
> > Fantastic.
>
> Let me guess. =A0You gained a pound??
>
> -Greg

A pound?!?!! Are you kidding. He'd be a blimp! An ounce maybe...but a
pound.....

;^)

Nice post, John; thanks! The only time you suck at golf is when you
don't have a good time! Sounds like your golf was great to me!

28 Apr 2008 15:15:38
dugjustdug
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Apr 28, 7:49=A0am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org >
wrote:
> In any event I had a blast. =A0The food at the event was unbelievable.
> Ribs, brisket, a raw bar, mexican, burgers, prime rib, pork loin,
> salmon, omelets to order, biscuits and gravy, it just went on and on.
> Fantastic. =A0

OK, I gotta ask. What's a "raw bar"? And, does Mrs. Pflagstick know
about this? :-)

I'm glad you had fun, John! The game will come around, but, good
times can happen anytime.

28 Apr 2008 22:22:38
IcUrdazedandconfused
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:49:36 -0400, John van der Pflum
<nowhammymyspammy@bite.org > wrote:

>I just got back into town after traveling to NC to play in a
>member/guest tournament with a good friend.
>
>Format was the typical five 9 hole matches with there being a shoot
>out between the winners of the various flights to determine the
>overall winner. We finished third in our flight. The guys who won
>our flight (and eventually finished 2nd overall) pretty much ran away
>with our flight. They beat us 6-4 but they won other matches by 7-3
>and 9-1 margins. That is pretty hard to overcome.
>
>Mostly my partner carried me the whole weekend. I drove the ball
>wonderfully. I haven't gone through the stats I kept yet but I would
>expect that I hit 70%+ of the fairways. The problem was I hit very
>few greens. I think there were a few issues:
>
>1. I had taken a lesson a couple of days before and was working on
>shortening my back swing. I had gotten WAAAY too long and the club
>was getting closed at the top. The problem with the shorter back
>swing was I just wasn't finishing and firing through the ball. Thus I
>was leaving a lot of shots out to the right.
>
>2. I had a hard time with the distances at this particular course.
>The yardage would be, say 170, but it just LOOKED so much longer than
>that. I'd play what the yardage looked like and I think my mind was
>subconsciously trying to ease up on the longer club.
>
>3. I suck.

Are those things the most fun or what??? My favorite part is my
money is no good..... :)

29 Apr 2008 10:01:42
John van der Pflum
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 15:15:38 -0700 (PDT), dugjustdug
<prestigerealty@yvn.com > wrote:

>On Apr 28, 7:49 am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org>
>wrote:
>> In any event I had a blast.  The food at the event was unbelievable.
>> Ribs, brisket, a raw bar, mexican, burgers, prime rib, pork loin,
>> salmon, omelets to order, biscuits and gravy, it just went on and on.
>> Fantastic.
>
>OK, I gotta ask. What's a "raw bar"? And, does Mrs. Pflagstick know
>about this? :-)
>
>I'm glad you had fun, John! The game will come around, but, good
>times can happen anytime.

The raw bar was basically a huge trough of ice with lemons piled on
top. Then on top of that were oysters, crab claws, and shrimp. Yes
-- Mrs. Pflagstick knows about it and she was quite jealous. I'm not
big on the raw bar stuff but she would have went crazy especially for
the crab claws.
--
jvdp
Nobody fears the Chopra

29 Apr 2008 10:02:08
John van der Pflum
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 22:22:38 -0400, IcUrdazedandconfused
<IcUrdazed@confused.net > wrote:

>On Mon, 28 Apr 2008 10:49:36 -0400, John van der Pflum
><nowhammymyspammy@bite.org> wrote:
>
>>I just got back into town after traveling to NC to play in a
>>member/guest tournament with a good friend.
>>
>>Format was the typical five 9 hole matches with there being a shoot
>>out between the winners of the various flights to determine the
>>overall winner. We finished third in our flight. The guys who won
>>our flight (and eventually finished 2nd overall) pretty much ran away
>>with our flight. They beat us 6-4 but they won other matches by 7-3
>>and 9-1 margins. That is pretty hard to overcome.
>>
>>Mostly my partner carried me the whole weekend. I drove the ball
>>wonderfully. I haven't gone through the stats I kept yet but I would
>>expect that I hit 70%+ of the fairways. The problem was I hit very
>>few greens. I think there were a few issues:
>>
>>1. I had taken a lesson a couple of days before and was working on
>>shortening my back swing. I had gotten WAAAY too long and the club
>>was getting closed at the top. The problem with the shorter back
>>swing was I just wasn't finishing and firing through the ball. Thus I
>>was leaving a lot of shots out to the right.
>>
>>2. I had a hard time with the distances at this particular course.
>>The yardage would be, say 170, but it just LOOKED so much longer than
>>that. I'd play what the yardage looked like and I think my mind was
>>subconsciously trying to ease up on the longer club.
>>
>>3. I suck.
>
>Are those things the most fun or what??? My favorite part is my
>money is no good..... :)

Yep -- I took full advantage of the bar. Lots and lots of gin and
tonics.
--
jvdp
Nobody fears the Chopra

29 Apr 2008 09:27:51
newellsatwsu
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Apr 29, 7:02=A0am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org >
wrote:
> Yep -- I took full advantage of the bar. =A0Lots and lots of gin and
> tonics. =A0

And I had to hear about it. :-) Glad you had a good time. Raw bar
sounds good.

29 Apr 2008 13:39:39
John van der Pflum
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 09:27:51 -0700 (PDT), newellsatwsu
<newellatwsu@adelphia.net > wrote:

>On Apr 29, 7:02 am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org>
>wrote:
>> Yep -- I took full advantage of the bar.  Lots and lots of gin and
>> tonics.
>
>And I had to hear about it. :-) Glad you had a good time. Raw bar
>sounds good.

Your phone call was mild compared to a couple others.
--
jvdp
Nobody fears the Chopra

29 Apr 2008 11:30:00
newellsatwsu
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Apr 29, 10:39=A0am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org >
wrote:
> Your phone call was mild compared to a couple others. =A0

Yeah with your metabolism, you're prolly drunk for about three minutes
and hungover for one. :-)

29 Apr 2008 14:40:29
John van der Pflum
Re: Member/Guest Report

On Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:30:00 -0700 (PDT), newellsatwsu
<newellatwsu@adelphia.net > wrote:

>On Apr 29, 10:39 am, John van der Pflum <nowhammymyspa...@bite.org>
>wrote:
>> Your phone call was mild compared to a couple others.
>
>Yeah with your metabolism, you're prolly drunk for about three minutes
>and hungover for one. :-)

I had a pretty brutal headache on Saturday morning, fo' sho'.
--
jvdp
Nobody fears the Chopra

30 Apr 2008 10:10:27
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: Member/Guest Report

Traveling TO North Carolina?

I knew people ended up there, but I had no idea these things were
planned.