29 Mar 2007 15:42:25
Dene
I'm pumped!

I've been golfing year round since 2000, practicing and playing in the
most hideous weather conditions, trying to improve from an original 19
to single digits. I managed to do this briefly a couple of years ago
but since then, my intensity has waned. Golf magazines are stacked
up, unread. TGC is ignored, as is my collection of various tapes and
books. For the first time in years, I took the winter off.

Until today..... Went to the range for the first time since October
and focused on one swing thought. A Tiger tip for the backswing.
Keep the club on it's original set up plane until the top, then fire.
No worries about grip, footwork, posture, release, followthrough, flat
left wrist, etc. Results.....out of 75 balls using all my clubs, I
pulled three (though playable), pushed two, (still playable), and
nailed the rest either straight or a 5 yard fade.

Do I have the game figured.....not by a long shot. But I'm convinced
too much practice and theory makes me weary.....and that robs the
enjoyment of the game.

Golf will be fun this year, regardless of handicap!

-Greg

29 Mar 2007 16:57:36
gp
Re: I'm pumped!

On Mar 29, 5:42 pm, "Dene" <gdst...@aol.com > wrote:
> I've been golfing year round since 2000, practicing and playing in the
> most hideous weather conditions, trying to improve from an original 19
> to single digits. I managed to do this briefly a couple of years ago
> but since then, my intensity has waned. Golf magazines are stacked
> up, unread. TGC is ignored, as is my collection of various tapes and
> books. For the first time in years, I took the winter off.
>
> Until today..... Went to the range for the first time since October
> and focused on one swing thought. A Tiger tip for the backswing.
> Keep the club on it's original set up plane until the top, then fire.
> No worries about grip, footwork, posture, release, followthrough, flat
> left wrist, etc. Results.....out of 75 balls using all my clubs, I
> pulled three (though playable), pushed two, (still playable), and
> nailed the rest either straight or a 5 yard fade.
>
> Do I have the game figured.....not by a long shot. But I'm convinced
> too much practice and theory makes me weary.....and that robs the
> enjoyment of the game.
>
> Golf will be fun this year, regardless of handicap!
>
> -Greg

Greg, thanks for sharing that. I, too, have played since '00 (though
not year round), and really had "non-seasons" '03 to '05....... If
you've seen my posts here, people'd probably think I'm a complete and
total whore for swing theory.

However, over the years I've learned to simplify things. I work
mainly on tempo and I've been doing the headcover-under-the-armpit
drill...you can actually hit balls this way! This year is the most
solid contact I've made yet.

29 Mar 2007 21:26:03
David Geesaman
Re: I'm pumped!

Dene wrote:
> I've been golfing year round since 2000, practicing and playing in the
> most hideous weather conditions, trying to improve from an original 19
> to single digits. I managed to do this briefly a couple of years ago
> but since then, my intensity has waned. Golf magazines are stacked
> up, unread. TGC is ignored, as is my collection of various tapes and
> books. For the first time in years, I took the winter off.

Sounds like a good idea.

Everything you need to know about golf you probably were taught in your
first few lessons. It takes a lifetime to learn to actually do it.
Magazines, tv shows, etc are just fancy distractions from the
fundamentals that make better golfers score lower.

> Until today..... Went to the range for the first time since October
> and focused on one swing thought. A Tiger tip for the backswing.
> Keep the club on it's original set up plane until the top, then fire.
> No worries about grip, footwork, posture, release, followthrough, flat
> left wrist, etc. Results.....out of 75 balls using all my clubs, I
> pulled three (though playable), pushed two, (still playable), and
> nailed the rest either straight or a 5 yard fade.

Sounds like a nice day on the range. I've had many such days,
especially when I'm 'fresh'. Enjoy it for what it is, and when your
next time out it no longer gives you the magic touch, go back to your
fundamentals. Trust it, believe it, your best game is right there.

Dave

29 Mar 2007 18:26:33
The_Professor
Re: I'm pumped!

On Mar 29, 5:42 pm, "Dene" <gdst...@aol.com > wrote:
> I've been golfing year round since 2000, practicing and playing in the
> most hideous weather conditions, trying to improve from an original 19
> to single digits. I managed to do this briefly a couple of years ago
> but since then, my intensity has waned. Golf magazines are stacked
> up, unread. TGC is ignored, as is my collection of various tapes and
> books. For the first time in years, I took the winter off.
>
> Until today..... Went to the range for the first time since October
> and focused on one swing thought. A Tiger tip for the backswing.
> Keep the club on it's original set up plane until the top, then fire.
> No worries about grip, footwork, posture, release, followthrough, flat
> left wrist, etc. Results.....out of 75 balls using all my clubs, I
> pulled three (though playable), pushed two, (still playable), and
> nailed the rest either straight or a 5 yard fade.
>
> Do I have the game figured.....not by a long shot. But I'm convinced
> too much practice and theory makes me weary.....and that robs the
> enjoyment of the game.
>
> Golf will be fun this year, regardless of handicap!
>
> -Greg

Nice hitting! I'm still working on the shorter backswing. A recent
discovery has been that it lets me really get into a shot with my
lower body. Staying in balance throughout the swing seems to let me co-
ordinate and effectively use more parts!

29 Mar 2007 19:35:02
Dene
Re: I'm pumped!

On Mar 29, 5:26 pm, David Geesaman <dgeesamanIHateS...@yahoo.com >
wrote:
> Dene wrote:
> > I've been golfing year round since 2000, practicing and playing in the
> > most hideous weather conditions, trying to improve from an original 19
> > to single digits. I managed to do this briefly a couple of years ago
> > but since then, my intensity has waned. Golf magazines are stacked
> > up, unread. TGC is ignored, as is my collection of various tapes and
> > books. For the first time in years, I took the winter off.
>
> Sounds like a good idea.
>
> Everything you need to know about golf you probably were taught in your
> first few lessons. It takes a lifetime to learn to actually do it.
> Magazines, tv shows, etc are just fancy distractions from the
> fundamentals that make better golfers score lower.

You're right about the lessons. Trouble is....I waited too long in
adulthood before taking them. There is a night/day difference in OTT
between my initial set and recent set (a year ago), so I don't want to
minimize taking lessons as needed.

Where I get in trouble is utilizing media theory to chase my tail. In
other words, hear a tip, run out and apply it, then another...then
another. Tiger's backswing thought is so simple (for me) because it
removes extra movement from the backswing, especially with the hands/
wrists. It does require a setup that's slightly further from the
ball, as described by both Haney and Hardy.

> > Until today..... Went to the range for the first time since October
> > and focused on one swing thought. A Tiger tip for the backswing.
> > Keep the club on it's original set up plane until the top, then fire.
> > No worries about grip, footwork, posture, release, followthrough, flat
> > left wrist, etc. Results.....out of 75 balls using all my clubs, I
> > pulled three (though playable), pushed two, (still playable), and
> > nailed the rest either straight or a 5 yard fade.
>
> Sounds like a nice day on the range. I've had many such days,
> especially when I'm 'fresh'. Enjoy it for what it is, and when your
> next time out it no longer gives you the magic touch, go back to your
> fundamentals. Trust it, believe it, your best game is right there.

Exactly. I have to accept my swing for what it is, then know there
will be good days and bad days with it, usually dependent on timing
and who knows what. It's that way with baseball and basketball....my
other sports. Somedays you hit well...somedays you can't buy a
bucket. This is precisely why Golf is a sport....the most difficult
there is.

I just have to remember that.

-Greg

29 Mar 2007 19:42:42
Dene
Re: I'm pumped!

On Mar 29, 3:57 pm, "gp" <gophe...@sbcglobal.net > wrote:

> Greg, thanks for sharing that. I, too, have played since '00 (though
> not year round), and really had "non-seasons" '03 to '05....... If
> you've seen my posts here, people'd probably think I'm a complete and
> total whore for swing theory.
>
> However, over the years I've learned to simplify things. I work
> mainly on tempo and I've been doing the headcover-under-the-armpit
> drill...you can actually hit balls this way! This year is the most
> solid contact I've made yet.- Hide quoted text -

Thanks GP

There is nothing wrong with swing theory. It's the application that
gets me into trouble. However, that's not necessarily a common
experience. Guys like David Laville can assimilate it into their game
and become a fine ball striker. In contrast, there are guys like
me.....

Part of my golf journey is learning and then accepting my strengths
and weaknesses. Applying swing theory is a definite weakness. Many a
good round has been ruined because I get greedy and try to tweak a
swing that already was producing below handicap results, in other
words, try to get straighter or longer, instead of acclimating the
ball flight of that particular round. For example, if you're hitting
a fade on the range, then play the fade during the round. If you have
to club up, then club up. Nuttin wrong with that!

-Greg

30 Mar 2007 02:05:49
R&B
Re: I'm pumped!

"Dene" <gdstrue@aol.com > wrote ...
> I've been golfing year round since 2000, practicing and playing in the
> most hideous weather conditions, trying to improve from an original 19
> to single digits. I managed to do this briefly a couple of years ago
> but since then, my intensity has waned. Golf magazines are stacked
> up, unread. TGC is ignored, as is my collection of various tapes and
> books. For the first time in years, I took the winter off.
>
> Until today..... Went to the range for the first time since October
> and focused on one swing thought. A Tiger tip for the backswing.
> Keep the club on it's original set up plane until the top, then fire.
> No worries about grip, footwork, posture, release, followthrough, flat
> left wrist, etc. Results.....out of 75 balls using all my clubs, I
> pulled three (though playable), pushed two, (still playable), and
> nailed the rest either straight or a 5 yard fade.
>
> Do I have the game figured.....not by a long shot. But I'm convinced
> too much practice and theory makes me weary.....and that robs the
> enjoyment of the game.
>
> Golf will be fun this year, regardless of handicap!
>
> -Greg

Enjoyment of the game, for me, is all about expectations.

If I have them, and perform up to them, I enjoy it. If I have them, and
DON'T perform up to them, I find it less enjoyable.

That's why these past couple of years have been oddly enjoyable. Because
I've played so infrequently, I have been able to adjust my expectations (to
little more than just taking in the fresh air, come what may). As a result,
my ability to enjoy playing golf has gone up exponentially, regardless of
how I play.

I'd rather play better, but given that I don't have the time to invest in my
game right now, I'm at least realistic enough to adjust my level of
expectations, so I seem to enjoy playing, even when I play (predictably)
poorly. And when I hit those few good shots that seem to come even on days
when I'm not playing well, I seem to enjoy them even more than I would if I
was expecting them more regularly.

Randy

29 Mar 2007 23:51:47
Dene
Re: I'm pumped!

On Mar 29, 11:05 pm, ""R&B"" <noneofyourbusin...@all.com > wrote:
> "Dene" <gdst...@aol.com> wrote ...
>

> > I've been golfing year round since 2000, practicing and playing in the
> > most hideous weather conditions, trying to improve from an original 19
> > to single digits. I managed to do this briefly a couple of years ago
> > but since then, my intensity has waned. Golf magazines are stacked
> > up, unread. TGC is ignored, as is my collection of various tapes and
> > books. For the first time in years, I took the winter off.
>
> > Until today..... Went to the range for the first time since October
> > and focused on one swing thought. A Tiger tip for the backswing.
> > Keep the club on it's original set up plane until the top, then fire.
> > No worries about grip, footwork, posture, release, followthrough, flat
> > left wrist, etc. Results.....out of 75 balls using all my clubs, I
> > pulled three (though playable), pushed two, (still playable), and
> > nailed the rest either straight or a 5 yard fade.
>
> > Do I have the game figured.....not by a long shot. But I'm convinced
> > too much practice and theory makes me weary.....and that robs the
> > enjoyment of the game.
>
> > Golf will be fun this year, regardless of handicap!
>
> > -Greg
>
> Enjoyment of the game, for me, is all about expectations.
>
> If I have them, and perform up to them, I enjoy it. If I have them, and
> DON'T perform up to them, I find it less enjoyable.
>
> That's why these past couple of years have been oddly enjoyable. Because
> I've played so infrequently, I have been able to adjust my expectations (to
> little more than just taking in the fresh air, come what may). As a result,
> my ability to enjoy playing golf has gone up exponentially, regardless of
> how I play.
>
> I'd rather play better, but given that I don't have the time to invest in my
> game right now, I'm at least realistic enough to adjust my level of
> expectations, so I seem to enjoy playing, even when I play (predictably)
> poorly. And when I hit those few good shots that seem to come even on days
> when I'm not playing well, I seem to enjoy them even more than I would if I
> was expecting them more regularly.
>
> Randy- Hide quoted text -

That's exactly where I'm at with the game. Well said, oh wise
wordsmith!

Accepting realistic expectations beats the obsessive thoughts and
resulting actions that seduced me a couple of years ago....constantly
trying this and that to improve, thinking about my golf swing to the
exclusion of other things more important. Physically, I'm better off
too. Hours upon hours of range sessions really can take a toll,
especially on mats.

Not to mention the range fees.....

-Greg