29 Apr 2006 19:54:52
Driver Yips?

This other thread about Duval reminded me of another article that Hank
Haney wrote in GD...say, about a year ago. HH had.... and I guess he
still has the driver yips. He had to do something completely different
(different swing) with the driver because some nueral pathway in his
brain that gave him the driver yips in the first place couldn't be
"undone." Something like that.... but wow... as if we regular
weekend mortals don't have enough problems, I wouldn't want to have
that one. I'd probably still play, though, and just tee off with
irons. :)
Anybody else go through this too? I know alot of tour players have
gone through putter yips..but wondering how common is this driver yips
business?

But yeah.. it's understandable how driver yips can ruin a career. An
errant tee shot will always cause you to "take your medicine" and for
us weekend mortals, eliminate your opportunity for par. "Drive for
show...."... is a bullshit statetment if you think about it... the
drive sets up your entire strategy for the hole, and determines.. will
I play offense or defense?

I'd like to see...on those holes where Duval DOES manage a birdie...
did he hit the fairway or not or at least get "in play?" I've been
following his progress this year as well, and noticed that he does show
flashes of his old self at times....example would be the back 9 2nd
round at Augusta where he got really good...but a little too late.

It's too bad for the guy I guess - not so much pity from a
"whoa-is-he-his-career-is-over" standpoint...but more from a
"the-guy-used-to-be-pretty-impressive-and-now-you-wonder-if-he-can-even-make-the-cut-in-the-Hooters-Tour"
standpoint... I am a fan of his, and hope he comes back. I really
like his golf swing - I dunno why - but it's a cool looking motion.

Regardless, the rest of us wouldn't mind having his problem..he's
something like top 30th in career earnings and set for life with his
endorsements..
....and yeah, he can still break 80 at times on championship courses..
:)

29 Apr 2006 23:29:02
Re: Driver Yips?

the driver yips might be a misnomer, if a guy has no problem keeping his
faculties together, then it is just plain old - can't do it.

most drivers have the capability of being utilized to the fullest, but
the striker is the one with the deficiency.

not everyone playing golf has been conditioned for the game, that is why
it is so disappointing to many.

becoming a scratch player is something other than an overnight
sensation. give credit to the guys who have mastered the game through
hard work / dedication / discipline.

hackers should stick to the old saying - me worry, when things go wrong,
and be happy.:--)

mho
v=83e

>save gas - by reducing your driving - 10%.

30 Apr 2006 22:02:27
FY
Re: Driver Yips?

You should stick to Parcheesi.

<fiveiron@webtv.net > wrote in message
the driver yips might be a misnomer, if a guy has no problem keeping his
faculties together, then it is just plain old - can't do it.

most drivers have the capability of being utilized to the fullest, but
the striker is the one with the deficiency.

not everyone playing golf has been conditioned for the game, that is why
it is so disappointing to many.

becoming a scratch player is something other than an overnight
sensation. give credit to the guys who have mastered the game through
hard work / dedication / discipline.

hackers should stick to the old saying - me worry, when things go wrong,
and be happy.:--)

mho
vfe