30 Jun 2004 23:26:52
Robbie78
Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
for your help....

01 Jul 2004 03:57:56
jeffc
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

"Robbie78" <Robbie78@webtv.net > wrote in message
> I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
> beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
> was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
> for your help....

To really "analyze" it you need to know if you really played by the rules,
and since the average beginner does not, it's really hard to compare :-)
But that sounds pretty normal to me.

01 Jul 2004 00:14:14
Miss Anne Thrope
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

Your scores are definitely on par with other
beginners................they stink.

01 Jul 2004 06:02:29
nobody
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

Some folks have been at it for decades and still shoot scores similar to yours.
I know retired guys in their 70's who used to "go low" and now enjoy the game
as much as ever and shoot in the 100's.
IMHO, if you had fun, then mission accomplished. Scores will drop in time with
practice, lessons, etc.
aloha,
jim

In article <10289-40E3847C-133@storefull-3354.bay.webtv.net >,
Robbie78@webtv.net says...

>I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
>beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
>was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
>for your help....

01 Jul 2004 16:16:48
DuffHooker
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

That's much better than what I did during my first four games :). Scoring is
not that much better now, good days begets 98 (best so far) and bad days, oh
well, high 110's.

Like the other reply said, if you enjoyed the company and the game, mission
accomplished. Life is too short to get upset over a round of golf.

Cheerio.

"Robbie78" <Robbie78@webtv.net > wrote in message
> I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
> beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
> was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
> for your help....

01 Jul 2004 04:48:36
Larry Bud

Robbie78@webtv.net (Robbie78) wrote in message news:<10289-40E3847C-133@storefull-3354.bay.webtv.net >...
> I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
> beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
> was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
> for your help....

Not sure exactly what you want analyzed. You hit a lot of ground
balls, made a ton of putts, chunked a bunch of chips, and maybe even
whiffed on a few.

01 Jul 2004 06:23:11
go raptors!
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

scores are ok for beginner.

two things:

get ball in play off tee.... leading more horizontal swing plane with
lower body hip turn (although make sure there's weight transfer)
really helps get nice solid drives.

move the ball back in stance a bit... more solid contact that way (i
shoot in mid-80's and i've finally got the point where all my shots
are struck solidly, in fact, i'm looking at moving the ball forward to
get higher soft trajectory).

01 Jul 2004 14:15:19

"go raptors!" <smchant22@yahoo.com > wrote in message

> move the ball back in stance a bit... more solid contact that way

I would also recommend the same thing for most beginners, at least until you
are hitting solid shots. Of course, only if the ball is not too far back
already :-)

01 Jul 2004 10:22:34
Zuke
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

Those scores look about average. It seems to me you should improve a bit
more though after four rounds. You don't describe your game at all so it's
a bit hard asking it you are average. Are you throwing away all of those
shots in the longer shots or around the greens?

The main question, how fast do you play? Concentrate first on learning the
etiquette and keeping up pace with other golfers (like walking directly
to your ball, being ready to hit when it's your turn, not having a preshot
routine that turns you into a statue, etc.). I've played with
guys who have shot 100 who are considerably faster and more pleasant to
play with than guys that shoot 75.

Later,

Zuke

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004, Robbie78 wrote:

> I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
> beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
> was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
> for your help....

01 Jul 2004 14:23:09
Douglas T. (Doug) Massey

Robbie78@webtv.net (Robbie78) writes:
> I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
> beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
> was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
> for your help....

With scores that high, I wouldn't worry about the numbers just yet.
Focus on each shot instead. Try to get each tee shot into the air and
going in the right direction. Try to hit each shot from tee to green
such that you hit the ball first (before the ground), that it goes
airborne, and more or less in the right direction. Don't worry about
distance, don't worry about approach shots hitting the green. Just
focus on good contact and reasonable ball flight.

Once you get around the green, concentrate on hitting the ball the
right distance. Don't worry so much about the exact direction or the
break in the green or anything like that -- just try to hit the ball
with the right speed. On chips, just focus on hitting the ball first
and with the club on the way down (avoiding "skulls" and "chili-dips").

Once you can meander your way around the course without too many
"gross errors" -- things like slices deep into the woods, chips that
go across the green into a bunker on the other side, fairway shots hit
so fat they only go ten feet -- then you can start worrying about the
exact rules of golf and keeping score. That's the advice I give to
beginners and it seems help them relax and enjoy their day on the course.

Doug

01 Jul 2004 15:24:07
Howard Brazee

On 30-Jun-2004, Robbie78@webtv.net (Robbie78) wrote:

> I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
> beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
> was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
> for your help....

Too many variables. Different courses and different tees make huge
differences. You may be interested in learning what the stroke and ratings
that are written on your score card for each tee mean. Let us know what they
are if you are interested, they help explain what one can expect to score.

Also, few beginners know the rules and most play sort-of-golf.

One thing you may wish to do is start keeping track of your stats, so you will
have guidelines to view your progress as you continue.

I track flubs - things that cost me a stroke. But keeping track of how many
tee shots and fairway shots miss the fairway or green, how many putts you make
per round, how many balls are lost in the water, and how many balls are hit
out-of-bounds, is a starting point.

Usual disclaimer:
It is very easy to get into bad swing habits, and very hard to un-learn them.
We can't see your swing, nor how you respond to our advice. A pro can do both.
The earlier you get into good habits, the easier it will be to keep them.

01 Jul 2004 10:21:00
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

>How do I fair against the average >beginner?
=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D=3D
on a scale of 1 - 10, you score a 5.

You're average, the best of the worst, and the worst of the best.:--)

hang in there, things will change - for the better.

m h o
v =83e

01 Jul 2004 08:58:36
Ben

High_Colonic@webtv.net (Miss Anne Thrope) wrote in message news:<21535-40E38F96-7@storefull-3153.bay.webtv.net >...

> Your scores are definitely on par with other
> beginners................they stink.

Mild chuckle. However, you seem to know a decent amount about this
game you so vehemently lampoon. Upwards, Anne, upwards.

Ben

01 Jul 2004 16:37:44
Robert Davis
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

Not much to analyze here. Those scores sound pretty much in line with
a total beginner's scores ... but it's really hard to define "average"
with anything in golf, and the scores themselves don't mean much
without the knowing how difficult the courses are (slope/rating).

The more important questions IMO are ... did you enjoy playing, and
what are your expectations for scoring and improving? Some folks
improve quickly (through some combination of natural ability and
training/practice) ... others play for years and never see the good
side of 90 (but still enjoy the game).

In general, the old adage of "patience is a virtue" applies doubly to
golf. If you want to improve, then lessons and practice (a lot), in
addition to playing, are usually necessary. And, many experts have
said that the quickest way to lower your scores is to practice your
short game (chipping, pitching and putting). Just depends on what
you're looking for.

Rob

Robbie78 wrote:
> I have played 4 golf games. I went to the range maybe 8 times in my life
> beforehand. In my 4 games in order, I shot: 129 - 121 - 127 -127. That
> was a par 70 course. How do I fair against the average beginner? Thanks
> for your help....

01 Jul 2004 18:04:33
Robbie78
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

I hold up alright on the putts and chips. On 2 of the 4 games I chipped
one in from about 10 yds off the green and another from about 15 yds
out. I also made a couple of 20+ ft putts. I pretty much get 100-120
yards a hit on a 3 iron. (uncanny but also get 100 yards on a PW). My
flaw comes at the tee. It always pulls right into another fairway or it
will be a grounder and go 30 yards. If I hit at least 150 yards straight
everytime id already have a score of 110 instead of 120's. I have yet to
knock the ball wide left. Never have. I dont know the course ratings. It
isnt on the card. I can say that the course is somewhat hilly with about
50% of greens at a minor slope. No water or sand hazards though. I'll
take heat for that one I know. The largest hole is 499yd par 5. I go by
the rules pretty much with an exception to sitting the ball up on good
grass if it landed in a "close" range of roughage... Thats me though.
Thanks...

01 Jul 2004 19:38:03
go raptors!
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

you pull the ball to the left side - are you left-handed like me???

FWIW, i think pull and/or hook is much stronger move (i.e. closer to
ideal swing) than push/slice... although now someone will tell me that
the pro's play fades (little slices), which is true but i think for
beginner/intermediate, that strong draw is much closer to the desired
swing.

01 Jul 2004 19:38:01
go raptors!
Re: Can someone analyze my score for me? (Beginner).

you pull the ball to the left side - are you left-handed like me???

FWIW, i think pull and/or hook is much stronger move (i.e. closer to
ideal swing) than push/slice... although now someone will tell me that
the pro's play fades (little slices), which is true but i think for
beginner/intermediate, that strong draw is much closer to the desired
swing.

01 Jul 2004 19:38:06
go raptors!