30 May 2007 07:35:47
me
A little slice of heaven

We haven't been having our normal summer afternoon rains and
thunderstorms
(yet) so I left work and went to get in 18 with "super twilight"
rates. I usually
hit the 1st tee by 5:30 and that gives me roughly 3 "useable" hours
play. Rarely do I get in all 18, or I get in 18 relatively "random"
holes by
playing out of order or just repeating some holes. I get "stuck"
behind
groups that don't seem committed to finishing in daylight.

Ah but yesterday! I teed off 1 solo and didn't catch up to anyone
until 6
and had to wait. But they let me through on 7 and then I caught a
twosome on 9. Waited on them, but they were done for the day.
The GPS system on the cart will show me what carts are where on
the course. And there were NO groups on the back nine. Me and
9 uninterrupted holes of pure golfing pleasure.

Shot one of my better scores too. Took me an hour to play the back
nine. Didn't hurry really. Just hit my ball and moved on. I was
actually
taking time to pull pins and line up putts. I always want to blame
bad rounds on slow play but it always feels like an excuse. But it
does seem that I tend to play better rounds when it takes less than
4 hours to complete the round. And I can't tell ya how much more golf
I could play if I could regularly play in under 3 hours. But until I
can
afford to build my own golf course, I don't think this will be
happening often.

30 May 2007 12:00:13
e-nigma
Re: A little slice of heaven

"me" <oconnell@slr.orl.lmco.com > wrote in message
> We haven't been having our normal summer afternoon rains and
> thunderstorms
> (yet) so I left work and went to get in 18 with "super twilight"
> rates. I usually
> hit the 1st tee by 5:30 and that gives me roughly 3 "useable" hours
> play. Rarely do I get in all 18, or I get in 18 relatively "random"
> holes by
> playing out of order or just repeating some holes. I get "stuck"
> behind
> groups that don't seem committed to finishing in daylight.
>
> Ah but yesterday! I teed off 1 solo and didn't catch up to anyone
> until 6
> and had to wait. But they let me through on 7 and then I caught a
> twosome on 9. Waited on them, but they were done for the day.
> The GPS system on the cart will show me what carts are where on
> the course. And there were NO groups on the back nine. Me and
> 9 uninterrupted holes of pure golfing pleasure.
>
> Shot one of my better scores too. Took me an hour to play the back
> nine. Didn't hurry really. Just hit my ball and moved on. I was
> actually
> taking time to pull pins and line up putts. I always want to blame
> bad rounds on slow play but it always feels like an excuse. But it
> does seem that I tend to play better rounds when it takes less than
> 4 hours to complete the round. And I can't tell ya how much more golf
> I could play if I could regularly play in under 3 hours. But until I
> can
> afford to build my own golf course, I don't think this will be
> happening often.

You must be in central FL. with the afternoon thunder storms.
They should be starting any day now....

30 May 2007 10:07:19
me
Re: A little slice of heaven

On May 30, 12:00 pm, "e-nigma" <kalelm...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> "me" <oconn...@slr.orl.lmco.com> wrote in message

> > We haven't been having our normal summer afternoon rains and thunderstorms
> > (yet) so I left work and went to get in 18 with "super twilight" rates.
[snip]
> You must be in central FL. with the afternoon thunder storms.
> They should be starting any day now

Hope so. Ponds are dry, water table is low, plants are having a
hard time. We could use some rain bad.

30 May 2007 13:17:50
FredK

> On May 30, 12:00 pm, "e-nigma" <kalelm...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> "me" <oconn...@slr.orl.lmco.com> wrote in message

>> > We haven't been having our normal summer afternoon rains and
>> > thunderstorms
>> > (yet) so I left work and went to get in 18 with "super twilight" rates.
> [snip]
>> You must be in central FL. with the afternoon thunder storms.
>> They should be starting any day now
>
> Hope so. Ponds are dry, water table is low, plants are having a
> hard time. We could use some rain bad.

Doesn't look like its gonna happen soon. 30% chance of rain this weekend
(which in central FL is meaningless - you could get all sun or 2" of rain).
The easterly winds have been crazy the last couple weeks - 3-club gusty
(30mph) winds - making club selection a lot of fun. Heck, even the temps
have been mild and the humidity low. Way strange for late May.

The ponds are low, but the one on the fairway in my backyard filled up a
little earlier in the month when we did get a few showers.

As to twilight rates... the only way to go. Except there are now leagues
every weekday in the late afternoon. So I have to go out early in the
afternoon to guarantee I can get out. Heck, I *joined* one of the leagues
just to make sure once I week I got out in the afternoon (heck, the rate was
$3 cheaper too).