29 Jun 2007 02:27:00
run out question

did anyone see the 20/20 between england and the west indies on
thursday? morton hit an excellent straight drive, which hit nigel
llong the umpire and stopped on the pitch instead of going for a sure
4. batsmen were running. sidebottom picks up the ball and dramatically
removes not only the bails but each stump one by one. after some
confusion, samuels was given out.

i thought this was not a problem, but the commentators went on about
it for quite a while, about how this was not done. shd the umpire not
have given this out: surely the ball was not dead? shd sidebottom not
have attempted the run out out of good manners, sort of like batsmen
not running if the ball is deflected off them?

nigel llong's umpiring overall was deplorable by the way: ravi rampaul
got collingwood plumb lbw, what doubts could llong have possibly had?

29 Jun 2007 05:39:56
Phil.
Re: run out question

On Jun 29, 5:27 am, subi...@hotmail.com wrote:
> did anyone see the 20/20 between england and the west indies on
> thursday? morton hit an excellent straight drive, which hit nigel
> llong the umpire and stopped on the pitch instead of going for a sure
> 4. batsmen were running. sidebottom picks up the ball and dramatically
> removes not only the bails but each stump one by one. after some
> confusion, samuels was given out.
>
> i thought this was not a problem, but the commentators went on about
> it for quite a while, about how this was not done. shd the umpire not
> have given this out: surely the ball was not dead? shd sidebottom not
> have attempted the run out out of good manners, sort of like batsmen
> not running if the ball is deflected off them?
>
> nigel llong's umpiring overall was deplorable by the way: ravi rampaul
> got collingwood plumb lbw, what doubts could llong have possibly had?

The ball hit the stumps directly, Sidebottom fielded the ball and
since the bails were off he correctly effected the run out by removing
the stumps. Seems like a case of the player knowing the laws better
than the comms (I assume it was Sky since TMS had no problem with it).

Phil.

29 Jun 2007 15:51:55
James Farrar
Re: run out question

On Fri, 29 Jun 2007 05:39:56 -0700, "Phil." <felton@princeton.edu >
wrote:

>On Jun 29, 5:27 am, subi...@hotmail.com wrote:
>> did anyone see the 20/20 between england and the west indies on
>> thursday? morton hit an excellent straight drive, which hit nigel
>> llong the umpire and stopped on the pitch instead of going for a sure
>> 4. batsmen were running. sidebottom picks up the ball and dramatically
>> removes not only the bails but each stump one by one. after some
>> confusion, samuels was given out.
>>
>> i thought this was not a problem, but the commentators went on about
>> it for quite a while, about how this was not done. shd the umpire not
>> have given this out: surely the ball was not dead? shd sidebottom not
>> have attempted the run out out of good manners, sort of like batsmen
>> not running if the ball is deflected off them?
>>
>> nigel llong's umpiring overall was deplorable by the way: ravi rampaul
>> got collingwood plumb lbw, what doubts could llong have possibly had?
>
>The ball hit the stumps directly, Sidebottom fielded the ball and
>since the bails were off he correctly effected the run out by removing
>the stumps. Seems like a case of the player knowing the laws better
>than the comms (I assume it was Sky since TMS had no problem with it).

I was there. There really wasn't any confusion.

After Sidebottom pulled the first stump out and touched the ball
against it, Llong nodded to him (presumably saying that was all he
needed to do to effect the run out). Sidebottom then grinned as he
repeated the action on the other two stumps; I think he was being a
bit of a showman. We loved it. :)