04 Oct 2006 10:48:31
Andrew Dunford
Tournament Names

There are some rather naff tournament names about, often the result of
sponsorship. For example the Pura Cup, or in NZ a State Championship that
isn't played for by states. The BCCI's recent revamp of its tournaments
resulted in the timeless classics 'Super League for the Ranji Trophy', 'Star
Series for the Deodhar Trophy' and 'Challenger Series for the NKP Salve
Trophy'. Personally I think the last-named should be the Salve Salver, but
that's another story.

I now bring to your attention the definitive cricket tournament name.
Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the Trelawny Cricket Association's
20/20 Curry Goat Cricket Classic:

http://caribbeancricket.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2173&mode=&order=0&thold=0

Andrew







04 Oct 2006 08:03:10
Calvin
Re: Tournament Names


"Andrew Dunford" <adunford@artifax.net > wrote

> I now bring to your attention the definitive cricket tournament name.
> Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the Trelawny Cricket Association's
> 20/20 Curry Goat Cricket Classic:

I suspect this name breaches the latest ICC code on rascism in sport.

cheers,
calvin





04 Oct 2006 02:21:14
Jayen
Re: Tournament Names


Andrew Dunford wrote:
> There are some rather naff tournament names about, often the result of
> sponsorship. For example the Pura Cup, or in NZ a State Championship that
> isn't played for by states. The BCCI's recent revamp of its tournaments
> resulted in the timeless classics 'Super League for the Ranji Trophy', 'Star
> Series for the Deodhar Trophy' and 'Challenger Series for the NKP Salve
> Trophy'. Personally I think the last-named should be the Salve Salver, but
> that's another story.
>
> I now bring to your attention the definitive cricket tournament name.
> Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the Trelawny Cricket Association's
> 20/20 Curry Goat Cricket Classic:
>
> http://caribbeancricket.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2173&mode=&order=0&thold=0

>From the link:

"The Cup will be named in honor of Linval Crawford and Neil Hosang, two
players from Trelawny who in the past represented Jamaica at the
first-class level and made significant contributions to the development
of cricket in Trelawny."

Out of Crawford and Hosang, which one is curry and which one is goat?

Regards,
Jayen



04 Oct 2006 23:18:48
Andrew Dunford
Re: Tournament Names


"Jayen" <rsc_poster@yahoo.com > wrote in message
news:1159953674.445851.188330@k70g2000cwa.googlegroups.com...
>
> Andrew Dunford wrote:
> > There are some rather naff tournament names about, often the result of
> > sponsorship. For example the Pura Cup, or in NZ a State Championship
that
> > isn't played for by states. The BCCI's recent revamp of its tournaments
> > resulted in the timeless classics 'Super League for the Ranji Trophy',
'Star
> > Series for the Deodhar Trophy' and 'Challenger Series for the NKP Salve
> > Trophy'. Personally I think the last-named should be the Salve Salver,
but
> > that's another story.
> >
> > I now bring to your attention the definitive cricket tournament name.
> > Ladies and gentlemen, please welcome the Trelawny Cricket Association's
> > 20/20 Curry Goat Cricket Classic:
> >
> >
http://caribbeancricket.com/modules.php?name=News&file=article&sid=2173&mode=&order=0&thold=0
>
> >From the link:
>
> "The Cup will be named in honor of Linval Crawford and Neil Hosang, two
> players from Trelawny who in the past represented Jamaica at the
> first-class level and made significant contributions to the development
> of cricket in Trelawny."
>
> Out of Crawford and Hosang, which one is curry and which one is goat?

I think they're both '20'.

I guess they wouldn't want to name their trophy after the former Border
batsman NO Curry. Needless to say, he played in two Currie Cup matches in
1973/74, and is evidently the brother-in-law of Tony and Ian Greig:
http://www.cricketarchive.co.uk/Archive/Players/13/13258/13258.html

I also found a Goatman at cricketarchive, spoiled only slightly by him
turning out to be a woman (played for England at the 1981/82 World Cup).

Andrew [who played in a primary school team in which the opening bowlers
were Currie and Rice]




05 Oct 2006 08:11:56
Calvin
Re: Tournament Names


"Andrew Dunford" <adunford@artifax.net > wrote in

> Andrew [who played in a primary school team in which the opening bowlers
> were Currie and Rice]

Cue runs pun.

cheers,
calvin