30 Jan 2004 20:46:39
Lax
Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most
recent one I found is Mike Holmans' 2002 list.

SM Gavaskar
VM Merchant
D Vengsarkar
SR Tendulkar
VS Hazare
CK Nayudu
N Kapil Dev (c)
SMH Kirmani (k)
EAS Prasanna
Amar Singh
BS Chandrasekhar

I think after the Australian tour, this list needs an update,
Rahul Dravid in for Dilip Vengsarkar. Not sure about about CK Nayudu,
either.

Cheers,
Lax

31 Jan 2004 10:41:51
Anonymous
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

Vengsarkar, Prasanna, and Nayudu definitely don't belong in this team.
Dravid belonged in the team even well before the Aus. tour.

Gavaskar
Merchant
Dravid
Tendulkar
Laxman
Hazare
Kapil Dev
Engineer/Kirmani
Harbhajan Singh/S Gupte
Mohammad Nissar
Kumble/Chandrasekhar

12th man: Eknath Solkar/Yajurvindra Singh

31 Jan 2004 07:37:10
VJ

"Anonymous" <anonymous@anonymous.com > wrote in message news:<PDLSb.146731$Rc4.1182568@attbi_s54>...
> Vengsarkar, Prasanna, and Nayudu definitely don't belong in this team.

How much do you know about Nayudu? How long has VVS played and how
many centuries has he scored? Against what type of opposition bowling?
Isnt it a tad early to be putting him in an all time XI? He has just
about cemented a place in the current XI.

> Dravid belonged in the team even well before the Aus. tour.
>
> Gavaskar
> Merchant
> Dravid
> Tendulkar
> Laxman
> Hazare
> Kapil Dev
> Engineer/Kirmani
> Harbhajan Singh/S Gupte
> Mohammad Nissar
> Kumble/Chandrasekhar
>
> 12th man: Eknath Solkar/Yajurvindra Singh

Oh, you have Harby in there as well? On the basis of what - his 32
wicket haul? Maybe Hirwani should be in there as well.

-VJ

31 Jan 2004 16:01:01
Anonymous
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

"VJ" <jayachan_v@hotmail.com > wrote in message

Check the stats first. Then come back to debate with me.

31 Jan 2004 18:02:25
Mike Holmans
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

lax_reddy@hotmail.com (Lax) decided to say:

>I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most
>recent one I found is Mike Holmans' 2002 list.
>
>SM Gavaskar
>VM Merchant
>D Vengsarkar
>SR Tendulkar
>VS Hazare
>CK Nayudu
>N Kapil Dev (c)
>SMH Kirmani (k)
>EAS Prasanna
>Amar Singh
>BS Chandrasekhar
>
>I think after the Australian tour, this list needs an update,
>Rahul Dravid in for Dilip Vengsarkar.

If it were just the Aus tour, I might quibble at that. But I think I
posted that team before the Eng v Ind series that year, and that
series coupled with the Aus one edge Vengsarkar out.

And I'm sticking with Nayudu at 6 because a top order featuring SMG,
Dravid, Merchant and Hazare is liable to take ages getting anywhere
and there will sometimes be a need for a blaster to come in and
thwack. None of the other plausible candidates seem to me to be as
well-fitted for that task than Nayudu.

Cheers,

Mike

31 Jan 2004 11:37:08
Arvind Borde

"Anonymous" <anonymous@anonymous.com > wrote in message news:<1jQSb.197998$na.329619@attbi_s04>...
> "VJ" <jayachan_v@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Check the stats first. Then come back to debate with me.

You mean the stats that show that Prasanna had four superb series,
two at home and two away (plus a few good ones), compared to Harbhajan's
two outstanding home series (plus a few good ones)? Or do you mean
the "away" averages of the two (34 for Pras vs 37 for Harby)?

I saw Prasanna live at his peak and I've seen footage of Harbhajan at
what was very likely his. There's no doubt in my mind that Prasanna
was the superior bowler: his flight, variation and control were all
better, as was his action (surprisingly smooth and relaxed for a
somewhat portly fellow).

Arvind

31 Jan 2004 19:48:01
Anonymous
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

So how is Harbhajan better than Prasanna? Oh, let me count the ways...

Wickets/match: Average Strike
Rate
Bhajji 4.19 28.47
63.8
Pras. 3.85 30.38
75.9

31 Jan 2004 19:59:45
Anonymous
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

Nayudu - batting average - 25; bowling average - 42.88

Need to know any more?

VVS has the same average as Merchant and Hazare (47+), had played 5 times
the Test matches that Hazare did and 20 more than Merchant. Has scored most
of his runs and centuries against the best bowling attack in the world.

> Oh, you have Harby in there as well? On the basis of what - his 32
> wicket haul? Maybe Hirwani should be in there as well.

Check stats in post below.

31 Jan 2004 20:02:19
Anonymous
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

> VVS has the same average as Merchant and Hazare (47+), had played 5 times
> the Test matches that Hazare did and 20 more than Merchant. Has scored
most
> of his runs and centuries against the best bowling attack in the world.

Should have been 5 times as many as Merchant and 20 more than Hazare.

31 Jan 2004 15:55:03
VJ
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

"Anonymous" <anonymous@anonymous.com > wrote in message news:<1jQSb.197998$na.329619@attbi_s04>...
> "VJ" <jayachan_v@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> Check the stats first. Then come back to debate with me.

Stats are not everything. There, I can write silly one liners too.

-VJ

31 Jan 2004 20:07:25
DiiVolunt

Mike Holmans <mike@jackalope.demon.co.uk > wrote in message news:<g2rn10lg82mdv47juqts89cjo1aud5gkg7@4ax.com>...
> lax_reddy@hotmail.com (Lax) decided to say:
>
> >I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most
> >recent one I found is Mike Holmans' 2002 list.
> >
> >SM Gavaskar
> >VM Merchant
> >D Vengsarkar
> >SR Tendulkar
> >VS Hazare
> >CK Nayudu
> >N Kapil Dev (c)
> >SMH Kirmani (k)
> >EAS Prasanna
> >Amar Singh
> >BS Chandrasekhar
> >
> >I think after the Australian tour, this list needs an update,
> >Rahul Dravid in for Dilip Vengsarkar.
>
> If it were just the Aus tour, I might quibble at that. But I think I
> posted that team before the Eng v Ind series that year, and that
> series coupled with the Aus one edge Vengsarkar out.
>
> And I'm sticking with Nayudu at 6 because a top order featuring SMG,
> Dravid, Merchant and Hazare is liable to take ages getting anywhere
> and there will sometimes be a need for a blaster to come in and
> thwack. None of the other plausible candidates seem to me to be as
> well-fitted for that task than Nayudu.

That is correct..but on a day when SMG and Merchant both strike
form...there would little chance for anyone else even to visit the
wicket...though expect mass spectator suicides:-)...i was told
merchant at his defensive was still a treat to watch ....

I would though put in Mohinder in instead of vengsarkar and put in
hazare ahead of SRT in batting...rest are standard...might use bedi or
nasser for Chandra...

> Cheers,
>
> Mike

regards
PRanshu B Saxena

01 Feb 2004 04:32:13
R. Bharat Rao

"Lax" <lax_reddy@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most

Here's mine

Gavaskar
Merchant
Dravid (recent change)
Tendulkar
Hazare
Mankad
Kapil Dev
Kirmani
Srinath (Kumble instead for home tests)
Prasanna
Chandrasekhar

Prasanna instead of Bedi because Mankad was comparable (but not quite as
good) as an LAS, and a genuine bat -- IMO, the 4th greatest Indian player
ever.

Dravid is now in over Azhar, Vishwanath, Amarnath, Vengsarkar and other
contenders.

Bharat

01 Feb 2004 13:56:00
Shripathi Kamath

"R. Bharat Rao" <rao_bharat@yahoo-nospam-this.com > wrote in message

> "Lax" <lax_reddy@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most

Here's mine

Gavaskar
Mankad
Mohinder Amarnath
Tendulkar
Dravid
Hazare
Kapil Dev
Kirmani
Srinath
Prasanna
Chandrasekhar

...same as it was last year

--
Shripathi Kamath

01 Feb 2004 11:26:22
DiiVolunt

lax_reddy@hotmail.com (Lax) wrote in message news:<ecd05021.0401302046.14cdd70@posting.google.com >...
> I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most
> recent one I found is Mike Holmans' 2002 list.
>
> SM Gavaskar
> VM Merchant
> D Vengsarkar
> SR Tendulkar
> VS Hazare
> CK Nayudu
> N Kapil Dev (c)
> SMH Kirmani (k)
> EAS Prasanna
> Amar Singh
> BS Chandrasekhar
>
> I think after the Australian tour, this list needs an update,
> Rahul Dravid in for Dilip Vengsarkar. Not sure about about CK Nayudu,
> either.
>
> Cheers,
> Lax

Old article I had posted on RSC with an some comments from others:

01 Feb 2004 11:27:45
DiiVolunt
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

lax_reddy@hotmail.com (Lax) wrote in message news:<ecd05021.0401302046.14cdd70@posting.google.com >...
> I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most
> recent one I found is Mike Holmans' 2002 list.
>
> SM Gavaskar
> VM Merchant
> D Vengsarkar
> SR Tendulkar
> VS Hazare
> CK Nayudu
> N Kapil Dev (c)
> SMH Kirmani (k)
> EAS Prasanna
> Amar Singh
> BS Chandrasekhar
>
> I think after the Australian tour, this list needs an update,
> Rahul Dravid in for Dilip Vengsarkar. Not sure about about CK Nayudu,
> either.
>
> Cheers,
> Lax

Old article I had posted: Try 2

evidently the link did not come through: So prose is put in

Hi,

I do not know if my previous 4 attempts at posting to this thread
succeeded or not. If they did, i do apologise for taking extra
bandwidth.

Anyway, I want to jump into the discussion on Indian Legends
nominating these 7 players for starters from 1930s.
(DB Deodhar, KM Mistry, Duleep, Ranji have to wait).

CK Nayudu : The Father of Indian Cricket

Lala Amarnath : The Stormy Petrel

Merchant & Mushtaq : Prose & Poetry

Of course Thunder & Lightening ( Nasser & Amar Singh)
& DD Hindelkar.

I would start with deeds of an Indore born sportsman (not Dravid, his
spiritual grandfather).
CK played first class cricket for first time in 1919 with Cooch Behar
's XI
and graduated to quadrangular where he was a regular member of the
Hindus
side. In 1926, he foiled a ploy by Hindu captain Vithal and saved a
career
of a chap he had met for first time. ("Are you the ramaswamy of
madras,
whatever happens, you are padding up to bat").
Ramaswamy scored a ton then and 14 years later was to add 73 in 48
minutes
with CK vs Voce & Farnes at their fastest.

In 1932, in face of stiff opposition from section of team , he lead
with
dignity and saw a fledgling Indian XI to 11 first class wins under
him.
Scored 1600 at 40 and bowled adequately.
in 1936, humiliated by previous patron and saw a trusted colleague
send
home on trumped up charge, with skipper offering test caps to those
who would
abuse him, he still averaged in 40s (he was 40 years of age),
his bowling drew admiration from certain Wally Hammond and coming at
crucial
junction when 2nd test still could be lost added the said 73 in 48
minutes.

in 3rd test, with india facing innings defeat, hit on chest by an
allen
bouncer which did'nt rise, he valiantly struck out for 2 hours scoring
86 in his swan song, on off , he lead india last time in 1939
vs ceylon and also lead an Indian XI to first win over international
side
in 1931 when India defeated Ceylon ( Navle & Naomal added 150 for
opeing wicket.)

Still, colonel 's greatest achievemnt was in 26 when he blasted the
MCC
attack for 11 sixes and scored 153 in even time.

Shunned by test authorities, returned home in 1946 (at age of 50)
to develop a Ranji side which went to next 6 ranji finals winning him
trophy
3 times. retiring in 1953, he was called bya developing weak
association
to lead them. At age of 62, he took the challenge and took them
(UP) to semifinals scoing 22 & 52 while taking 3 wickets in each
innings
including those of Apte, Umrigar, Ramchand.

He defeated Indian snooker, billiards, chess champions of his time and
extended the squash champion, there is rumour that he beat the tennis
champion
("Are you Ramaswamy of madras") once too.
His life long friend and compatriot DB Deodhar said that but for
smoking which
caused his early death at age of 72 (DB himself scored a century in
life:-)
he was the quintennsial sportsman.

The grateful Indians remember the Father of cricket with only statue
ever put
up of a cricketer in India (prob. world)

Son was lala amarnath the punjabi prodigy whose 118 delighted the
spectators
so much that rich ladies in member's stands showered jwellery on him
as he returned with his partner in crime a certain CK with whom he
added 184.

Next season saw him score 3 tons against Ryder 's Australians ,
including 144 in 4 hours for Moinud Dowla XI (the best representative
side
of its times). Then he would score 3 more vs Tennyson 's including 2
in test
matches (low scoring) in 1937.

1936, he was heading the batting and bowling averages on english tour
when he
was send back. He had recently scored 100 & 130 (India 184 all out)
and took 7 wickets vs Essex.?

in 1939-40, MCC 's chosen side for offical tour of india was far
weaker than
Tennyson's XI and fate intervened in WWI.

Destroyed the jardine's services and lankans in war time when
Australian
Services arrived lead by Hassett, boasting Miller et al.
After 2 tests, Amrnath bowled hassett 3 times in 3 innings.
in 3rd test,Lala started with 113 in 2 hours and 4 wickets to destroy
aussies and won india the test & series.
Russy mody helped too witha 203 :-)

In 1946, he was india 's primary bowler at age of 35, and despite
lumbago, india's reserve keepr, Nimablkar having injured himself.

in first test, took 5 wickets in only english innings.
in second test, took 5 wickets again starting with 4/13 spell which
accounted for Hutton, Washbrook, Hammond.
In second innings took another 3 of 5 to fall.
in 3rdt test, on spinning pitch, english only lost 3 wickets.
Lala took 13 of 28 english test wickets in that series.

he also scored runs in his imperious style and kept wickets on & off.

Ina match vs hampshire, with lot of time lost that hamp captain
had agreed to cancel innings intervals, he ran through side and bowled
last one , hamps automatically followed on and with next ball
he got the same batsman again, getting a batsman out in first class
cricket
out twice within a minute.

Then when Merchant 's injury propelled him to skippership to Australia
,
he enjoyed a great tour not albiet in tests and his leadership skills
were
commented on by Don himself.
He started off with 144 & 94* vs South Australia where india chasing
287 had simmered down to 16/4 when lala and mankad added 200 , india
finishing with 235/5

Or vs Victoria as lala walked into at score 0/3 (Hazare, Mankad,
Adhikari)
and scored 228 out of 403 (6 indians scored ducks) , this innings was
chosen as Innings of 1948-61 period by Times of India for their 150th
celebrations.

Furthermore, Don enjoyed the strategic battles with lala (lala & he
both send
tailenders to open at times in the series) and the spirit of
friendship
in which the series took place.

Returning, he lead india out of 3 consec. positions of defeat to draw,
in calcutta took up the challenge of scoring 431 in a day and 110
minutes,
fates and dew conspired to rob him of 60 minutes on last day as India
66/0
overnight added 270 in 5 hours with he himself going hammer & tongs at
58*
when match was called off India 330/3.
Even in the final test, Indian keeper was injured and lala took up
gloves ,
took 4 catches and set up victory target of 360, when both openers
fell
cheaply on 4rth evening, he walked in very angry & furious (mushtaq
ali
recalled later ) and smashed 37 runs in 28 balls , Modi, Hazare then
took
over (both commenting on lala 's innings as inspiring) and with
8 down at 320 (rememeber keeper could not bat), Phadkar smashed
windies
to reach 355 with windies delaying tactics like 6 drinks breaks &
keeper walcott dropping his gloves and runing to boundary to collect
the ball
saving their bacon.

anyway, he got into a fight with management again to not included over
next 2
years and then Vizzy making up with him, returned as Indian captain &
won the first offical series for India vs pakistan, himself starting
the
ball rolling with 4 wickets in a furious spell (hanif, kardar et al)
at age of 42.
In second test, with india nearing defeat, (7 rookies in side),
he smashed fzal & khan mohammed to score unconquered 61.

retired from cricket, he was called back to lead india vs commonwealth
xi
in 1957 age of 46 and lead india to win (this was to celebrate india
's
silver jublee in tests). Umrigar did good by 2 tons too.
retired soon after taking 4 wickets for 0 runs in Ranji in 1958.

Served as Indian chairman of selectors and trusted kenny and took a
gamble in
Patel which saw one of the greatest indian wins all time at kanpur
1959.

of course, 2 of the sons added to the splendour of the name of
Bhardwaj.
(Like KapilDev, his name is Amarnath, lala being a nick name, surname
is Bhardwaj)

Then we come to the holy ghost, Vijay Merchant
started with 19* & 67* vs jardine 's MCC who called him india 's
solidest
bat, had precisely 23 first class matches when he went to UK where he
played
23 more , scoring 1700 runs at 52. carrying bat in both innings of
match etc.
with a 36 in first test (on a minefield), 114 adding 203 in 135
minutes
with Mushtaq india 368 runs behind or 52 in 3rd test.
He had a bad time vs tennyson's team scoring only 97 in 9 innings
(captaincy
was not the problem, breakup with mentor LP Jai was the cause)
scored 137 & 36 vs wickramsinge 's ceylon but had another bad moment
on death
of his buddy Amar Singh, he was 32. (amar & vijay named their first
sons
after each other)
scored 200 (including 98 in a session) vs Jardine's services.
Hit 2 valiant tons to save 1st 2 tests includinga massive 155* vs
australian
services, he was robbed of captaincy to england but played still
scoring 2400
runs in 27 matches. including a marvellous 128 on wet wicket in 3rd
test.

Injury forced him out of next two years of cricket.
On return, he lead india in first 2 test vs CXI when he got injured
again,
Hazare took over winning 2 tests and scoring 675 runs.

He lead india vs second CXI and scored well and best was 107 on last
day of
series on a horrible wicket.
In next test, scored 154 vs Howard's englishmen, in fielding, his
injury
reoccured and he left test cricket for good.
His career spanned 18 years of which 6 were lost to war & 4 to injury.
In 1963, another blow in ICC ruling took place robbing him of test
captaincy
record and cutting his career from 25 tests to mere 10.
Lala 's career too was cut by this ruling from 34 to 24 tests.

Their rivalry was legendary Merchant was later called unofficial
captain of
india by lala but this not prevent him from giving chance to young
Mohinder.
As selector this guy gave us Chauhan, Vishwanath, Mohinder Amarnath,
Solkar, Madan Lal & Gavaskar.
Not to mention his social work for various charities.

Vijay makes it to the list in a canter. (Also, the first indian
cricketer
whose fame as cricketer fetched him a wife. Pratibha Merchant wrote to
him in
1951 asking why he was'nt playing anymore and intrigued, Vijay met her
&
rest is a bollywood tale:-).

3 other interesting stories :
when a certain lady delivered the first kiss on indian cricket ground
a certain handsome debutant centurion in 1959, Merchant remarked
"what were the girls doing when i was scoring my tons."
Pat came the reply ( i think from lala), "Prob. asleep".

In 1949, Duleep was chairman of selectors and was roughed by crowd
(in calcutta ) demanding mushtaq be included in the indian side.
Duleep
spotted Mushtaq smiling deviously in a corner. Mushtaq was included
and
scored a ton.

1 year later, india chasing 261 on a difficult wicket and mushtaq was
retired due to finger injury and situation worsening, Duleep came into
the
dressing room and gave a dresssing down to Mushtaq who went out,
scored a ton
and india won by 3 wickets. He thanked Duleep for it. Next year, vizzy
became
chairman of selectors and mushtaq played just one more test.

Thanking You

Pranshu B Saxena

==-----
http://www.dejanews.com/ Now offering spam-free web-based
newsreading

From offie@aol.com Tue May 12 17:42:31 EST 1998
Article: 144845 of rec.sport.cricket
From: offie@aol.com (Offie)
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: Indian Legends (WAS: Re: DBV IN WI 1983)
Date: 12 May 1998 01:11:18 GMT

>I do not know if my previous 4 attempts at posting to this thread
>succeeded or not. If they did, i do apologise for taking extra
>bandwidth.

They didnt - but this one did. Thanks for it - very interesting post.

>Anyway, I want to jump into the discussion on Indian Legends
>nominating these 7 players for starters from 1930s.
>(DB Deodhar, KM Mistry, Duleep, Ranji have to wait).
>
>CK Nayudu : The Father of Indian Cricket
>Lala Amarnath : The Stormy Petrel
>Merchant & Mushtaq : Prose & Poetry

Glad someone mentioned all these players. Of these, I personally have
only
Merchant in my all-time XI myself - for tests, of course :-) For ODIs,
suppose Lala would have been perfect - maybe even ahead of his son.

>Son was lala amarnath the punjabi prodigy whose 118 delighted the
spectators

>In 1946, he was india 's primary bowler at age of 35, and despite
>lumbago, india's reserve keepr, Nimablkar having injured himself.
>
>in first test, took 5 wickets in only english innings.
>in second test, took 5 wickets again starting with 4/13 spell which
>accounted for Hutton, Washbrook, Hammond.
>In second innings took another 3 of 5 to fall.
>in 3rdt test, on spinning pitch, english only lost 3 wickets.
>Lala took 13 of 28 english test wickets in that series.
>
>he also scored runs in his imperious style and kept wickets on & off.

More descriptions from Arlott of this tour of 1946 - thanks again to
Ramaswamy
:-)

------------------

L. Amarnath

Merely by seeing him walk you knew he was an athlete: he might have
been a footballer or a boxer, moving with the rhythmic jaunty
certainty that springs from the close mental and muscular sympathy
of the born games player.

He was jaunty with the jauntiness of certainty, not of cocksureness.
"I'll tell you in July if I'm going to get my 100 wickets," he said
to me in early June. By July he realised that he would neither take
a 100 wickets nor complete a 1000 runs. He accepted this fact
philosophically, although he knew that, in India, great things were
expected of him as one of the two greatest figures in Indian cricket
of the past decade (Merchant is the other).

Whereas many of his teammates has strokes in common almost to the
last detail, it was only necessary to see Amarnath play one ball to
identify him. Sometimes he would play a purely defensive stroke with
a complete follow-through, a moment later he would drive a ball for
four with no follow-through at all. Always he played extremely late
in defence, conveying the impression of time to spare. No innings
played by him could be uninteresting because his active mind never
allowed him to make an automatic response to any ball.

It was as a bowler that Amarnath impressed most on this 1946 tour.
There was no more accurate bowler in England, probably not in the
world. More than once he bowled with a silly mid-on, 2 short legs,
2 slips, gully and silly mid-off, while the wicket-keeper stood
close to complete 3 parts of the circle round the batsman, Amarnath
himself following through to almost close the ring -- and only 2
men, mid-on and cover-point, outside the tight circle. In the game
at Taunton, Harold Gimblett whom, through a long spell, Amarnath had
tied down as few bowlers can do, said "Don't you ever bowl a
half-volley?" "Oh yes," said Amar, "I bowled one in 1940."

It was difficult to see that he ever bowled a bad ball. With a
short, four-stride run-up, he delivered on a trip so that he
appeared to bowl off his wrong foot. The arm curved, the wrist was
loose, the ball barely arced at about medium pace -- faster than it
looked from the ring. His stock ball was the in-swinger, swinging
very late, so late that the batsman was forced to wait anxiously
lest it came through straight or lest, even more disconcertingly, it
was his cut leg-break. This delivery, pitching on the leg stump and
hitting the top of the middle-and-off, he bowled with an action
almost indistinguishable from his in-swinger: it was with it that he
clean bowled a well-set Hammond in the Test match at Lord's. Like
Mankad, Amarnath finished an over very quickly but he never bowled
automatically: there was thought behind every ball, faultless length
above all. He would redden a patch the sie of a soup-plate on the
wicket with his immaculate pitching of the new ball on the length
spot. Something of his accuracy is reflected in his bowling figures
which show that more than 36 percent of the overs he bowled were
maidens and that an average of less than 2 runs per over
was scored off him.

Some critics have attempted to argue from these figures and the fact
that he took only 56 wickets on the tour that Amarnath "bowled the
batsman in." This is a view to which no one who played with or
against him, or who had watched him closely, would subscribe. had
all the catches offered from his bowling been taken he would have
taken more than a hundred wickets; the catches were often sharp ones
but first-class close fielders would have taken them. It was
Amarnath's ill fortune that he had no such fieldmen to support him.
Again Amarnath was so accurate, so subtly varied, that few batsmen
dared take liberties with him; he forced most of them completely on
the defensive. Often, as when he bowled to P.A. Gibb in the Lord's
Test, to Jack Davies and Arthur Fagg at Canterbury, he morally
bowled batsmen out 2 or 3 times in an over, and little short catches
flew from the edge of a half-hyponitized dead bat to scurry past his
fieldmen; it was then that one appreciated his superlative
excellence. Runs might be scored from his bowling but aggression
against him was impossible.

A man of exceptional strength of character, it was impossible to
remain indifferent to him; all who met him reacted violently. As a
raconteur, explosive with gesture, laughter implicit in every part
of his body, he was magnificent. Under all lay the cold thought and
the strength.

------------------------

Sadiq [ ah, the good old days ] Yusuf

>Thanking You
>
>Pranshu B Saxena

From oracle@nowhere.org Fri May 15 10:08:48 EST 1998
Article: 145094 of rec.sport.cricket
From: Oracle <oracle@nowhere.org >
Newsgroups: rec.sport.cricket
Subject: Re: legends of Indian Cricket : CK Nayudu
Date: Wed, 13 May 1998 14:29:27 -0400

pbsaxena@bluestone.com wrote:
<snip >

Thank you PBS,
as informative as ever. I remember reading in Illustrated Weekly
(about
12 years back, the weekly is long dead) that CKNayadu is the only
cricketer to hit a sixer that travelled from one county to another
:-).

The event goes like...the stadium is situated close to a
river/canal.
The sixer he hit cleared the stadium travelled over the canal/river
and
landed in the opposite bank. This canal seperated the two counties and
so a sixer from one county to another. Though, I am pretty sure that I
remember one of the counties to be Somerset, my memory has been
fallible.

I'd really appreciate it if someone fills in with the details and
the
authenticity of the piece.[I. Weekly was pretty reliable except for
the
astrology section which was written by Kushwant Singh sometimes :-) ]

Regards,

Cricketislife!

On 1 Feb 2004 11:27:45 -0800, diivolunt@hotmail.com (DiiVolunt) wrote:

>DB Deodhar said that but for
>smoking which
>caused his early death at age of 72 (DB himself scored a century in
>life:-)
>he was the quintennsial sportsman.

his team mates respected and loved him a great deal.
--the holkar's team would all come to his house on sundays and he
would play host. Gupshup and tea would follow. Remember these are the
same players who would be petrified of him on field, CK would not even
allow drinks break on field, ie not allow his players to drink water!
and these r the guys who would land up his house on sunday chatting
with the captain in extremely friendly ambience. They would listen to
his yarns, or pose questions or simply go and play TT in his table..
(Ck was also the Vice PResident of the Table Tennis Federation of
India!) Some apparently would ask his guidance for family problems,
personal advice etc. such love and respect used to exist for the old
man. Khandu Rangnekar a fellow cricketer had talked of CK as a
mother, and that he used to love his younger team mates like a mother!

His bday and Dussera festivals used to be a personal function for the
entire Holkar team. they would come for the dinner, a bakri cut for
the bali! to Goddess Durga and in the evening dinner ( no liquor mind
u) and a Dance party. Younger players would dance, some would mimic
the others, how they dropped the catches and even how CK would react
sternly on field and CK would join in laughing!

Once When the legendary Mushtaq ALi got married, CK invited the newly
couple to his house for lunch and also ordered a special 'record' '
main to dilli se Dulhan laya re babuji'!!( I have brought a bride from
Delhi, father!)

but once he is on the field, things would dramatically change and CK
would be back to his stern school master approach.

the first Indian cricketer to appear in advertisements., 'Bathgate's
Liver tonic' A copy of that ad is in Ram Guha' Corner of a Foreign
sport, The Indian history of a British sport'
It has a picture of C K on the left and these wordings appear

'Lt Col C K Nayudu, the veteran cricketer of India says:-
I have found that a morning dose of
Bathgate's liver tonic banishes sluggishness and keeps me 100%
fit for the day's play.I recommend it to all cricketers and infact to
all sportsmen.

C K Nayudu
Indore
March 26, 1941

His name and fame were used to market Tea and other consumer products
and even a Hindi feature film!

and he was a huge draw as well.

once Morarji Desai when he was the Finance minister refused to
sanction foreign exchange for a touring team saying ' But where is
another C K Nayudu to draw in the crowds to justify the expense?'

and after that stupendous feat of 11 sixes in that legendary match
against Arthur Gilligan' MCC, , a felicitation ceremony was organised
on 5th Dec 1926m jsut few days after the match at the Bombay Theatre.
The hindus were felicatated and for this ceremony, tickets were sold.
a concert by Hirabai Barodekar 'the world renowned popular young
songstress of gramophone name'. The tickets were priced at rs
15,10,5,4,3,2,1 and a few tickets for 8 annas. An advertisement
appeared on the News Paper
'Citizens of Bombay! Attend! one and all Attend!! ' Parsis and Muslims
were also expected to attend, hence the call was inclusive, not just
to the hindus. plus the singer was half hindu half muslim.

In the evening post that show, cricketeres were honoured at another
function at Parel. . and received medals from a Jewellery firm. Only
CK received a Gold medal. 'as the mark of appreciation of Parel
public, espicially the clerks and operatives employed in mills and
factories, of his splendid performance with the bat'. Few days later C
K again was gifted a Triumph motorcycle with a side car and a Silver
bat.
========
and let me end with some words from that dasher , Syed Mushtaq Ali

++++++++++
C K Nayudu was easily the best of 'em all. No, my admiration has
nothing to do with Nayudu also hailing from Indore! To me, he was the
very definition of a cricket captain. He was intelligent, imaginative
and adventurous. He knew fully well how to use the limited resources
at his command. He was a strict disciplinarian who always supported
his players to the hilt. He had a thorough knowledge of the game and
its finer points. He had also this knack of detecting a flaw or two in
the rival batsmen and bowlers. He was also a good 'reader' of the
wicket.
--
Mushtaq Ali: The greatest cricketer I have seen, known and played with
was undoubtedly C.K. Nayudu. He was not merely the Lord or the King,
but the Shahenshah. The present generation of cricketers cannot
imagine the type of cricket he played. He played cricket not on
billiard table wickets, but on wickets which were fiery and also on
matting. Against pace bowlers he was hit many times. I saw him badly
hurt, but never asking for aid. With such gallant performances, he
proved true to his stock of the Andhras, a race of brave and resolute
people. The best thing about him was his personality, his majestic
movements on the field, his astute judgement on every point of the
game and his concern about the team in preference to self - qualities
which made him an ideal captain. A well disciplined man (he was a
Colonel in the Army) C.K. enforced discipline among the ranks. While
he was intolerant of inefficiency, he was quick to discover talent and
foster it. All in all he carried an epic grace for his game and self,
seldom to be seen in the modern era."

D.R. Jardine: "Nayudu at the wicket is comparable to a right-handed
Woolley. Both remain masters of execution of every shot that the game
knows."

++++++++++++++
CiL

"C.K. was in a class by himself and could be rated easily
as the greatest cricketer India has produced. He taught every young
cricketer that the bat was there to hit the ball and he practised what
he preached."
Lala Amarnath

02 Feb 2004 22:51:52
Cricketislife!
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

And this was Ram Guha' team said post the release of his book 'corner
of foreign field'

Gavaskar, Merchant, Vishwanath, Sachin, Dravid, Mankad, Kapil,
Kirmani, Prasanna, Chandrashekhar, Nissar or Srinath.

and his all time World Dream X1

Dr. Ramachandra Guha : This is a difficult one. But let me try. Grace,
Hobbs, Headley, Bradman, Hammond, Sobers, Tallon, Lindwall, O'Reilly,
Grimmett, Larwood. This is a mischievous selection - my dream team,
you see, must include only those I have never seen at all.

from a chat at
http://www.rediff.com/cricket/2002/sep/06guha.htm

03 Feb 2004 16:25:56
Michael Creevey
Re: Time to update the All-Time Indian XI?

"Lax" <lax_reddy@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> I am looking around the All-Time Indian XI's posted in RSC, the most
> recent one I found is Mike Holmans' 2002 list.
>
> SM Gavaskar
> VM Merchant
> D Vengsarkar
> SR Tendulkar
> VS Hazare
> CK Nayudu
> N Kapil Dev (c)
> SMH Kirmani (k)
> EAS Prasanna
> Amar Singh
> BS Chandrasekhar
>
> I think after the Australian tour, this list needs an update,
> Rahul Dravid in for Dilip Vengsarkar. Not sure about about CK Nayudu,
> either.
>
> Cheers,
> Lax

I'll have a stab.