30 Jun 2006 22:49:43
Dipak Basu
The Dravid watch

Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.

Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?

Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.

Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.

Of course, just 19 runs and Dravid touches 9000.

DB.

01 Jul 2006 08:57:17
yudever
Re: The Dravid watch

Dipak Basu wrote:
> Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
> position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.
>
> Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
> must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
>
> Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
>
> Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
> before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.
>
> Of course, just 19 runs and Dravid touches 9000.
>
> DB.

Dravid is on the way to be one of the GOATs. Never expected this to
happen; personally I'm totally thrilled about it. Couldn't happen to a
more deserving player or a better human being.

Sanjiv Karmarkar

01 Jul 2006 12:57:48
Tweedle Dee
Re: The Dravid watch

> Of course, just 19 runs and Dravid touches 9000.

He's passed it now - batting on 20*. Congrats to Dravid. Doesn't this
make him the fastest to get to 9000?

Cheers,

TD

01 Jul 2006 13:55:32
Ravi
Re: The Dravid watch

Dipak Basu wrote:
> Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
> position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.
>
> Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
> must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
>
> Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
>
> Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
> before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.
>
> Of course, just 19 runs and Dravid touches 9000.
>
> DB.

Dravid also became the first player in 2006 to go over 1000 test runs.

- Ravi

01 Jul 2006 14:41:33
Jughead
Re: The Dravid watch

Ravi wrote:
> Dipak Basu wrote:
> > Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
> > position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.
> >
> > Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
> > must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
> >
> > Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
> >
> > Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
> > before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.
> >
> > Of course, just 19 runs and Dravid touches 9000.
> >
> > DB.
>
> Dravid also became the first player in 2006 to go over 1000 test runs.
>
> - Ravi

And goes beyond 9000 as well. Well done RD!

-Aravind

01 Jul 2006 22:09:03
sdavmor
Re: The Dravid watch

Jughead wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
>> Dipak Basu wrote:
>>> Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
>>> position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.
>>>
>>> Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
>>> must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
>>>
>>> Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
>>>
>>> Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
>>> before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.
>>>
>>> Of course, just 19 runs and Dravid touches 9000.
>>>
>>> DB.
>> Dravid also became the first player in 2006 to go over 1000 test runs.
>>
>> - Ravi
>
> And goes beyond 9000 as well. Well done RD!
>
> -Aravind

Now at 52*; right after drinks he smashes consecutive 4s off Taylor.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man

01 Jul 2006 23:21:21
Mike Holmans
Re: The Dravid watch

On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:43 -0700, "Dipak Basu" <dbasu@yahoo.com >
tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
>position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.
>
>Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
>must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
>
>Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
>
>Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
>before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.

Of course, passing these people is likely to be only temporary. Most
of them had averages much nearer 70 before they started on the
downward slope to retirement (Paynter 67, Sutcliffe and Headley 69).

The only one you can reasonably compare Dravid with at present is
Pollock, because his career was interrupted while he was in his prime
and therefore did not have the normal tail-off.

For Dravid to finish his career above your candidates, he should
currently be averaging at least 65. Since he will have played many
more matches than the others before he starts his downhill phase, he
will probably lose less than the usual 8-10 from his mid-late career
peak (Sutcliffe had an amazing start, averaging over 80 after 17
Tests, and went steadily down to about 61, then over the next three
years brought it back up to 69.8 before the tail-off set in, so I'm
taking the 69.8 as the later peak).

Cheers,

Mike

01 Jul 2006 22:51:31
Andy Guthrie
Re: The Dravid watch

Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:43 -0700, "Dipak Basu" <dbasu@yahoo.com>
> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:
>
>> Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
>> position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.
>>
>> Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
>> must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
>>
>> Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
>>
>> Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
>> before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.
>
> Of course, passing these people is likely to be only temporary. Most
> of them had averages much nearer 70 before they started on the
> downward slope to retirement (Paynter 67, Sutcliffe and Headley 69).

Paynter the only batsman to score a duck in a test score of over 900.

01 Jul 2006 22:56:34
Andy Guthrie
Re: The Dravid watch

Andy Guthrie wrote:
> Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Fri, 30 Jun 2006 22:49:43 -0700, "Dipak Basu" <dbasu@yahoo.com>
>> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:
>>
>>> Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time
>>> sixth position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to
>>> 58.69.
>>>
>>> Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian
>>> skipper must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
>>>
>>> Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
>>>
>>> Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme
>>> Pollock before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.
>>
>> Of course, passing these people is likely to be only temporary. Most
>> of them had averages much nearer 70 before they started on the
>> downward slope to retirement (Paynter 67, Sutcliffe and Headley 69).
>>
> Paynter the only batsman to score a duck in a test score of over 758.

02 Jul 2006 06:37:09
Ravi
Re: The Dravid watch

Jughead wrote:
> Ravi wrote:
> > Dipak Basu wrote:
> > > Dravid needed 79 to go past Weekes and Barrington to the all-time sixth
> > > position in test averages. He got 81 and took his average to 58.69.
> > >
> > > Next on the horizon is little Eddie Paynter - to pass him the Indian skipper
> > > must get to 59.24. Can he do this at Sabina Park?
> > >
> > > Yes, if he scores 141 or 82* in I2.
> > >
> > > Once there he can eye the 60s and Sutcliffe, Headley and Graeme Pollock
> > > before the long shadow of the Don falls on him.
> > >
> > > Of course, just 19 runs and Dravid touches 9000.
> > >
> > > DB.
> >
> > Dravid also became the first player in 2006 to go over 1000 test runs.
> >
> > - Ravi
>
> And goes beyond 9000 as well. Well done RD!
>
> -Aravind

Another 10 runs and Dravid would cross 500 runs for the series.

- Ravi