29 Nov 2004 23:09:02
DRIZAII
Tendulkar's last best test show...

.. was more than 2 years back. Since Nov 24, 2002, his stats are

14 24 3 832 241* 194* 60* 39.61 2 4 2

If I count out the 3 not-out scores in successive innings, it looks
-- 21 0 337 55 55 51 16.04 0 3 2

I hate his 241* (i am tempted to compare it with Sunny's 36* .. flat
pitch, absolutely no help for bowlers, and still our star batsman
played no offsite shots and strike rate=55). The 193* was okay, but
still a flat wicket and plethora of dropped chances.

He has had lean patches a couple of times in the past, notably the
draught that ended with the 92 in nottingham. But then he used to give
away his wicket to attacking strokeplay. And everytime he came back,
he rides the crest for half a dozen tests continuously. But now ..
bugger tries to save his wicket by playing defense and still gets out
cheaply. Tsssskkkk...

03 Dec 2004 05:39:37
R. Bharat Rao
Re: Tendulkar's last best test show...

"DRIZAII" <drizaii@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> .. was more than 2 years back. Since Nov 24, 2002, his stats are
>
> 14 24 3 832 241* 194* 60* 39.61 2 4 2
>
> If I count out the 3 not-out scores in successive innings, it looks
> -- 21 0 337 55 55 51 16.04 0 3 2
>
> I hate his 241* (i am tempted to compare it with Sunny's 36* .. flat
> pitch, absolutely no help for bowlers, and still our star batsman
> played no offsite shots and strike rate=55). The 193* was okay, but
> still a flat wicket and plethora of dropped chances.

You may hate the 241* but it *almost* was the defining knock of his
career. THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally
won a series abroad, that too against the world champions.

Unfortunately, no one supported Kumble's wonderful performance.
Karthik was terrible and Agarkar a no show after his great bowling
in Brisbane and Adelaide. That, some luck, and aid by young Patel,
saw Australia through -- a now the 241* instead of being remembered
as a selfless effort by a great batsman playing for his team to set up
the ultimate win, is derided by one and all...

Bharat [who'll take the 241* or the 50 in Mumbai over the 194*]

03 Dec 2004 00:50:00
Shatadal

"R. Bharat Rao" <rao_bharat@yahoo-nospam-this.com > wrote in message

> "DRIZAII" <drizaii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > .. was more than 2 years back. Since Nov 24, 2002, his stats are
> >
> > 14 24 3 832 241* 194* 60* 39.61 2 4 2
> >
> > If I count out the 3 not-out scores in successive innings, it looks
> > -- 21 0 337 55 55 51 16.04 0 3 2
> >
> > I hate his 241* (i am tempted to compare it with Sunny's 36* .. flat
> > pitch, absolutely no help for bowlers, and still our star batsman
> > played no offsite shots and strike rate=55). The 193* was okay, but
> > still a flat wicket and plethora of dropped chances.
>
> You may hate the 241* but it *almost* was the defining knock of his
> career. THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally
> won a series abroad, that too against the world champions.

Which universe did this happen in?
>snip>

> Bharat [who'll take the 241* or the 50 in Mumbai over the 194*]

03 Dec 2004 17:00:51
Matt van de Werken

Shatadal wrote:

> "R. Bharat Rao" <rao_bharat@yahoo-nospam-this.com> wrote in message
>>
>> "DRIZAII" <drizaii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>> > .. was more than 2 years back. Since Nov 24, 2002, his stats are
>> >
>> > 14 24 3 832 241* 194* 60* 39.61 2 4 2
>> >
>> > If I count out the 3 not-out scores in successive innings, it looks
>> > -- 21 0 337 55 55 51 16.04 0 3 2
>> >
>> > I hate his 241* (i am tempted to compare it with Sunny's 36* .. flat
>> > pitch, absolutely no help for bowlers, and still our star batsman
>> > played no offsite shots and strike rate=55). The 193* was okay, but
>> > still a flat wicket and plethora of dropped chances.
>>
>> You may hate the 241* but it *almost* was the defining knock of his
>> career. THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally
>> won a series abroad, that too against the world champions.
>
> Which universe did this happen in?

The universe in which he got support from the rest of his team and India
bowled Australia out in the second innings, as intimated in the bit you
snipped.

Cheers,
--
** Matt van de Werken -- Cricket, Unix, Electronics Enthusiast **
** Linux -- Dual Athlon MP1800+ -- Fri, 03 Dec 2004 5:00PM **

03 Dec 2004 06:45:15

"Shatadal" <gshatadal@rediffmail.com > wrote in message news:<31agknF3aamaiU1@individual.net>...
> "R. Bharat Rao" <rao_bharat@yahoo-nospam-this.com> wrote in message

> > You may hate the 241* but it *almost* was the defining knock of his
> > career. THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally
> > won a series abroad, that too against the world champions.
>
> Which universe did this happen in?
> >snip>

The universe you "snipped".

As in..

Unfortunately, no one supported Kumble's wonderful performance.
Karthik was terrible and Agarkar a no show after his great bowling
in Brisbane and Adelaide. That, some luck, and aid by young Patel,
saw Australia through -- & now the 241* instead of being remembered
as a selfless effort by a great batsman playing for his team to set up
the ultimate win, is derided by one and all...

Bharat

03 Dec 2004 14:14:16
DRIZAII
Re: Tendulkar's last best test show...

"R. Bharat Rao" <rao_bharat@yahoo-nospam-this.com > wrote in message news:<t_Srd.4584$8v3.462@trndny08>...
> "DRIZAII" <drizaii@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > .. was more than 2 years back. Since Nov 24, 2002, his stats are
> >
> > 14 24 3 832 241* 194* 60* 39.61 2 4 2
> >
> > If I count out the 3 not-out scores in successive innings, it looks
> > -- 21 0 337 55 55 51 16.04 0 3 2
> >
> > I hate his 241* (i am tempted to compare it with Sunny's 36* .. flat
> > pitch, absolutely no help for bowlers, and still our star batsman
> > played no offsite shots and strike rate=55). The 193* was okay, but
> > still a flat wicket and plethora of dropped chances.
>
> You may hate the 241* but it *almost* was the defining knock of his
> career. THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally
> won a series abroad, that too against the world champions.

Defining knock? You are kidding, right?
Think about his debut series ... the game where he got hit on the
nose by a Waqar special, started to bleed, but put a plaster on the
nose and went on to score a fifty. I would call it the defining knock.
Think about his first 100 ... when India one down in the series, Eng
set a target of 408 in last innings, and India were 5/127 and the
maestro scores a match saving knock.
And what about his 176 in Nagpur recently .. when he went into bat in
second innings at 87/4 in the 4th day with WI having a 140 first
innings lead?

There are plenty of them in ODIs .. remember those knocks in Sharjah
when India HAD TO win a game with a certain run rate to qualify the
finals? And the subsequent final? Remember that hooked SIX off Devon
Malcom?

That is my Tendulkar. These knocks define my Tendulkar.

Not a 241* in 11 hours on a frikkin' flat pitch against a sorry
bowling attack where he was so frikkin' cowardious to not play any
scoring shots in the off-side. It was not a selfless innings. He was
coming from a lean patch of 13 odd innings without any big score. And
wanted to make sure that HE scored.
Btw, he was dropped a couple of times during the knock .. i dont
remember at what score.

> Unfortunately, no one supported Kumble's wonderful performance.
> Karthik was terrible and Agarkar a no show after his great bowling
> in Brisbane and Adelaide. That, some luck, and aid by young Patel,
> saw Australia through -- a now the 241* instead of being remembered
> as a selfless effort by a great batsman playing for his team to set up
> the ultimate win, is derided by one and all...
>
> Bharat [who'll take the 241* or the 50 in Mumbai over the 194*]

03 Dec 2004 17:02:09
Shatadal

"R. Bharat Rao" <rao2_noread@yahoo.com > wrote in message
> "Shatadal" <gshatadal@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:<31agknF3aamaiU1@individual.net >...
> > "R. Bharat Rao" <rao_bharat@yahoo-nospam-this.com> wrote in message
>
> > > You may hate the 241* but it *almost* was the defining knock of his
> > > career. THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally
> > > won a series abroad, that too against the world champions.
> >
> > Which universe did this happen in?
> > >snip>
>
> The universe you "snipped".

Seems like I misunderstood what you wanted to say. I thought you said. You
said "THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally won a series
abroad, that too against the world champions."

Did you mean to say

"THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India ALMOST won a series abroad,
that too against the world champions."

^^^^^^^^^^^

Don't know about you but this construction is clearer for me, considering
what you wrote after that.

> As in..
>
> Unfortunately, no one supported Kumble's wonderful performance.
> Karthik was terrible and Agarkar a no show after his great bowling
> in Brisbane and Adelaide. That, some luck, and aid by young Patel,
> saw Australia through -- & now the 241* instead of being remembered
> as a selfless effort by a great batsman playing for his team to set up
> the ultimate win, is derided by one and all...
>

> Bharat

04 Dec 2004 01:40:48

>> The universe you "snipped".
>
> Seems like I misunderstood what you wanted to say. I thought you said. You
> said "THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India finally won a series
> abroad, that too against the world champions."
>
> Did you mean to say
>
> "THE KNOCK -- you know, the one with which India ALMOST won a series
> abroad,
> that too against the world champions."

> Don't know about you but this construction is clearer for me, considering
> what you wrote after that.

Fair nuff...

Bharat [prose over poetry]