31 Mar 2007 00:42:02
driz
SL team for WI

Okay, I am back ... after a long lacuna...

A couple of things that bother me about the SL lineup:

(*) Should we play Marvan Atapattu instead of Tharanga for the next
game? I just checked Statsguru .. and Tharanga, in his last 10 games,
has scored 191 runs ar 21.22, while Atapattu in his last 10 games has
177 at 25.28. IIRC, Tharanga's 64 against India had a chance or two.
Considering Atapattu's experience, and ability to anchor the innings,
it may be wiser to have him in the team, opening with Jayasuriya. It
may be ideal to partner one attacking batsman one steady bat. Besides,
right/left combination could bother the bowlers (Given a choice I
would propose dropping Mahela from the team, but unfortunately he is
skipper...)

(*) That brings the topic of Mahela. Why is he batting at important No.
3 if he is going through a bad patch? By occupying the No. 3 position,
he is wasting the power play overs, and unnecessarily putting extra
pressure on Sangakkara, Silva, and Jayasuriya.

(*) Looking at the way Sanath, Murali, Vaughan,McCallan, and Panesar
bowled on the Guayana pitch (there seem to be two pitches at
Providence. I am not sure if Eng vs Ireland was played on the same
pitch as SL vs SA) it seems to assist slow/spin bowlers: all 5 of the
above went for less than 40 and took a wicket or two. Traditionally,
WI are weak against leg-spin although current WI teams are quiet
unpredictable, with Samuels looking good against spin. Neverthless,
taking Bandara seems like a smart move. I am not too impressed with
Maharoof because he is useful once in 10 games as batsman, and his
Venkatesh-Prasad-like medium pace bowling is not going to have much
venum.

My humble request is this line-up:
Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Sangakkara, Silva, Dilshan, Arnold, Mahela,
Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Bandara

Will Moody or Mahela listen?

31 Mar 2007 08:01:39
Re: SL team for WI

Sri Lanka's success in recent times has been built around the batting
heroics of Tharanga, Chamara Silva and Jaysuriya. Atapattu is well
past his prime and all his innings in recent times have been quite
sluggish by the standards of ODIs. I believe Tharanga - Jaysuriya is a
great openning combination and SL should stick with them.

On 31 Mar, 08:42, "driz" <driz...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> Okay, I am back ... after a long lacuna...
>
> A couple of things that bother me about the SL lineup:
>
> (*) Should we play Marvan Atapattu instead of Tharanga for the next
> game? I just checked Statsguru .. and Tharanga, in his last 10 games,
> has scored 191 runs ar 21.22, while Atapattu in his last 10 games has
> 177 at 25.28. IIRC, Tharanga's 64 against India had a chance or two.
> Considering Atapattu's experience, and ability to anchor the innings,
> it may be wiser to have him in the team, opening with Jayasuriya. It
> may be ideal to partner one attacking batsman one steady bat. Besides,
> right/left combination could bother the bowlers (Given a choice I
> would propose dropping Mahela from the team, but unfortunately he is
> skipper...)
>
> (*) That brings the topic of Mahela. Why is he batting at important No.
> 3 if he is going through a bad patch? By occupying the No. 3 position,
> he is wasting the power play overs, and unnecessarily putting extra
> pressure on Sangakkara, Silva, and Jayasuriya.
>
> (*) Looking at the way Sanath, Murali, Vaughan,McCallan, and Panesar
> bowled on the Guayana pitch (there seem to be two pitches at
> Providence. I am not sure if Eng vs Ireland was played on the same
> pitch as SL vs SA) it seems to assist slow/spin bowlers: all 5 of the
> above went for less than 40 and took a wicket or two. Traditionally,
> WI are weak against leg-spin although current WI teams are quiet
> unpredictable, with Samuels looking good against spin. Neverthless,
> taking Bandara seems like a smart move. I am not too impressed with
> Maharoof because he is useful once in 10 games as batsman, and his
> Venkatesh-Prasad-like medium pace bowling is not going to have much
> venum.
>
> My humble request is this line-up:
> Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Sangakkara, Silva, Dilshan, Arnold, Mahela,
> Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Bandara
>
> Will Moody or Mahela listen?

31 Mar 2007 13:37:12
Matsya
Re: SL team for WI

ma_khan1981@yahoo.com wrote in news:1175353299.013649.70080
@p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:

> Sri Lanka's success in recent times has been built around the batting
> heroics of Tharanga, Chamara Silva and Jaysuriya. Atapattu is well
> past his prime and all his innings in recent times have been quite
> sluggish by the standards of ODIs. I believe Tharanga - Jaysuriya is a
> great openning combination and SL should stick with them.

I agree. Tharanga-Jayasuriya combination has to be preserved. Thranga is
also young and it is good to get him going.

It may be possible to switch Arnold and Marvin. If bowling becomes good
(due to bowler or pitch) then, I think, Atapattu will do better due to his
experience and techinique. But Arnold can bowl a bit, that can be useful.

I agree that Mahela shuls probably go later.

31 Mar 2007 14:43:53
Re: SL team for WI

Marvan has notr scored runs recently as opener. If he comes to the
team must come to the position of one down. Mahila has failed in this
position. I don't who to be dropped. I think Marvan is better than
Tharanga but not as opener.

On Apr 1, 4:37 am, Matsya <Mat...@google.com > wrote:
> ma_khan1...@yahoo.com wrote in news:1175353299.013649.70080
> @p77g2000hsh.googlegroups.com:
>
> > Sri Lanka's success in recent times has been built around the batting
> > heroics of Tharanga, Chamara Silva and Jaysuriya. Atapattu is well
> > past his prime and all his innings in recent times have been quite
> > sluggish by the standards of ODIs. I believe Tharanga - Jaysuriya is a
> > great openning combination and SL should stick with them.
>
> I agree. Tharanga-Jayasuriya combination has to be preserved. Thranga is
> also young and it is good to get him going.
>
> It may be possible to switch Arnold and Marvin. If bowling becomes good
> (due to bowler or pitch) then, I think, Atapattu will do better due to his
> experience and techinique. But Arnold can bowl a bit, that can be useful.
>
> I agree that Mahela shuls probably go later.

31 Mar 2007 18:14:46
linus
Re: SL team for WI

On Mar 31, 3:42 am, "driz" <driz...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> Okay, I am back ... after a long lacuna...
>
> A couple of things that bother me about the SL lineup:
>
> (*) Should we play Marvan Atapattu instead of Tharanga for the next
> game? I just checked Statsguru .. and Tharanga, in his last 10 games,
> has scored 191 runs ar 21.22, while Atapattu in his last 10 games has
> 177 at 25.28. IIRC, Tharanga's 64 against India had a chance or two.
> Considering Atapattu's experience, and ability to anchor the innings,
> it may be wiser to have him in the team, opening with Jayasuriya. It
> may be ideal to partner one attacking batsman one steady bat. Besides,
> right/left combination could bother the bowlers (Given a choice I
> would propose dropping Mahela from the team, but unfortunately he is
> skipper...)
>
> (*) That brings the topic of Mahela. Why is he batting at important No.
> 3 if he is going through a bad patch? By occupying the No. 3 position,
> he is wasting the power play overs, and unnecessarily putting extra
> pressure on Sangakkara, Silva, and Jayasuriya.
>
> (*) Looking at the way Sanath, Murali, Vaughan,McCallan, and Panesar
> bowled on the Guayana pitch (there seem to be two pitches at
> Providence. I am not sure if Eng vs Ireland was played on the same
> pitch as SL vs SA) it seems to assist slow/spin bowlers: all 5 of the
> above went for less than 40 and took a wicket or two. Traditionally,
> WI are weak against leg-spin although current WI teams are quiet
> unpredictable, with Samuels looking good against spin. Neverthless,
> taking Bandara seems like a smart move. I am not too impressed with
> Maharoof because he is useful once in 10 games as batsman, and his
> Venkatesh-Prasad-like medium pace bowling is not going to have much
> venum.
>
> My humble request is this line-up:
> Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Sangakkara, Silva, Dilshan, Arnold, Mahela,
> Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Bandara
>
> Will Moody or Mahela listen?

I would hate to see Tharanga - Sanath opening combination broken up.
Attapatu is too defensive IMO. Sri Lanka is good at attacking cricket
and they should stick to it. Mahela probably needs to come in a bit
further down the order untill he gets his batting going.

31 Mar 2007 18:15:24
vignes1961@hotmail.com
Re: SL team for WI

As the captain, a while ago, Atapattu conceded that he was no longer
sharp to face the new ball.

Tharanga was robbed by Dar in the South Africa match.

If I were to experiment, I would bring Mahela to #6 or so.

Assuming Mahroof is fit, I would certainly have him in the team.

Too late to do too many experiments now.

Vicky:

On Apr 1, 1:01 am, ma_khan1...@yahoo.com wrote:
> Sri Lanka's success in recent times has been built around the batting
> heroics of Tharanga, Chamara Silva and Jaysuriya. Atapattu is well
> past his prime and all his innings in recent times have been quite
> sluggish by the standards of ODIs. I believe Tharanga - Jaysuriya is a
> great openning combination and SL should stick with them.
>
> On 31 Mar, 08:42, "driz" <driz...@yahoo.com> wrote:

31 Mar 2007 18:43:20
vignes1961@hotmail.com
Re: SL team for WI

An interesting article....

http://www.nation.lk/2007/04/01/sports3.htm

On Apr 1, 11:14 am, "linus" <lavinia...@rogers.com > wrote:
> I would hate to see Tharanga - Sanath opening combination broken up.
> Attapatu is too defensive IMO. Sri Lanka is good at attacking cricket
> and they should stick to it. Mahela probably needs to come in a bit
> further down the order untill he gets his batting going.- Hide quoted text -

31 Mar 2007 21:53:46
Ravi
Re: SL team for WI

On Mar 31, 12:42 pm, "driz" <driz...@yahoo.com > wrote:
> Okay, I am back ... after a long lacuna...
>
> A couple of things that bother me about the SL lineup:
>
> (*) Should we play Marvan Atapattu instead of Tharanga for the next
> game? I just checked Statsguru .. and Tharanga, in his last 10 games,
> has scored 191 runs ar 21.22, while Atapattu in his last 10 games has
> 177 at 25.28. IIRC, Tharanga's 64 against India had a chance or two.
> Considering Atapattu's experience, and ability to anchor the innings,
> it may be wiser to have him in the team, opening with Jayasuriya. It
> may be ideal to partner one attacking batsman one steady bat. Besides,
> right/left combination could bother the bowlers (Given a choice I
> would propose dropping Mahela from the team, but unfortunately he is
> skipper...)
>
> (*) That brings the topic of Mahela. Why is he batting at important No.
> 3 if he is going through a bad patch? By occupying the No. 3 position,
> he is wasting the power play overs, and unnecessarily putting extra
> pressure on Sangakkara, Silva, and Jayasuriya.
>
> (*) Looking at the way Sanath, Murali, Vaughan,McCallan, and Panesar
> bowled on the Guayana pitch (there seem to be two pitches at
> Providence. I am not sure if Eng vs Ireland was played on the same
> pitch as SL vs SA) it seems to assist slow/spin bowlers: all 5 of the
> above went for less than 40 and took a wicket or two. Traditionally,
> WI are weak against leg-spin although current WI teams are quiet
> unpredictable, with Samuels looking good against spin. Neverthless,
> taking Bandara seems like a smart move. I am not too impressed with
> Maharoof because he is useful once in 10 games as batsman, and his
> Venkatesh-Prasad-like medium pace bowling is not going to have much
> venum.
>
> My humble request is this line-up:
> Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Sangakkara, Silva, Dilshan, Arnold, Mahela,
> Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Bandara
>
> Will Moody or Mahela listen?

Why would you want to drop Maharoof and bring in Bandara? Maharoof's
batting and Jayasuriya's bowling role would be more than adequate.

31 Mar 2007 23:50:37
Chan
Re: SL team for WI

On Mar 31, 9:53 pm, "Ravi" <krav...@gmail.com > wrote:
> On Mar 31, 12:42 pm, "driz" <driz...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> > Okay, I am back ... after a long lacuna...
>
> > A couple of things that bother me about the SL lineup:
>
> > (*) Should we play Marvan Atapattu instead of Tharanga for the next
> > game? I just checked Statsguru .. and Tharanga, in his last 10 games,
> > has scored 191 runs ar 21.22, while Atapattu in his last 10 games has
> > 177 at 25.28. IIRC, Tharanga's 64 against India had a chance or two.
> > Considering Atapattu's experience, and ability to anchor the innings,
> > it may be wiser to have him in the team, opening with Jayasuriya. It
> > may be ideal to partner one attacking batsman one steady bat. Besides,
> > right/left combination could bother the bowlers (Given a choice I
> > would propose dropping Mahela from the team, but unfortunately he is
> > skipper...)
>
> > (*) That brings the topic of Mahela. Why is he batting at important No.
> > 3 if he is going through a bad patch? By occupying the No. 3 position,
> > he is wasting the power play overs, and unnecessarily putting extra
> > pressure on Sangakkara, Silva, and Jayasuriya.
>
> > (*) Looking at the way Sanath, Murali, Vaughan,McCallan, and Panesar
> > bowled on the Guayana pitch (there seem to be two pitches at
> > Providence. I am not sure if Eng vs Ireland was played on the same
> > pitch as SL vs SA) it seems to assist slow/spin bowlers: all 5 of the
> > above went for less than 40 and took a wicket or two. Traditionally,
> > WI are weak against leg-spin although current WI teams are quiet
> > unpredictable, with Samuels looking good against spin. Neverthless,
> > taking Bandara seems like a smart move. I am not too impressed with
> > Maharoof because he is useful once in 10 games as batsman, and his
> > Venkatesh-Prasad-like medium pace bowling is not going to have much
> > venum.
>
> > My humble request is this line-up:
> > Atapattu, Jayasuriya, Sangakkara, Silva, Dilshan, Arnold, Mahela,
> > Vaas, Malinga, Murali, Bandara
>
> > Will Moody or Mahela listen?
>
> Why would you want to drop Maharoof and bring in Bandara? Maharoof's
> batting and Jayasuriya's bowling role would be more than adequate.

a. Maharoof is not consistent in his batting. Besides, with 7 batsmen
in the team plus Vaas, there is no pressing need for another batsman.
b. His bowling is sub-par at the moment. Bandara is one of two better
bowlers available in the squad. The other is Dilhara Fernando.
c. Bandara is more of a wicket-taker than Jayasuriya. He would be more
effective against a side like Australia than Jayasuriya.

- Chan

01 Apr 2007 16:32:15
Re: SL team for WI

Tharanga failed again. He must go and practice his shots and come
back. He only has limited number of shots that he can play with any
confidence. I suggest Chamra Silva should start with Jayasuriya and
Marvan should come one down.