29 Feb 2004 09:09:34
Aslam Siddiqui
No play on the 1st two days of a Test match

Here is a list of Test matches in which there was no play on the first
two days. Home sides are listed first. The number of scheduled days
(D) for the matches are given at the end of the lines. Completely
abandoned matches are excluded.

R D
NZ v Eng Auckland(3) 1929-30 D 3
Eng v NZ Manchester 1931 D 3
Eng v Pak Lord's 1954 D 5
Aus v Eng Sydney(5) 1954-55 D 6
Pak v NZ Dacca 1955-56 D 5
Eng v NZ Leeds 1958 W 5
Eng v SAf Manchester 1960 D 5
Eng v Aus Lord's 1964 D 5
NZ v Eng Christchurch 1974-75 D 6
Ind v Aus Delhi 1986-87 D 5
Aus v Pak Sydney 1989-90 D 6
WI v Ind St John's 1996-97 D 5
NZ v BD Hamilton 2001-02 W 5
Zim v BD Bulawayo 2003-04 D 5

aslam
GO PACERS!!!

01 Mar 2004 06:01:55
alvey
Re: No play on the 1st two days of a Test match

Aslam Siddiqui wrote:
> Here is a list of Test matches in which there was no play on the first
> two days. Home sides are listed first. The number of scheduled days
> (D) for the matches are given at the end of the lines. Completely
> abandoned matches are excluded.
>
> R D
> NZ v Eng Auckland(3) 1929-30 D 3
> Eng v NZ Manchester 1931 D 3
> Eng v Pak Lord's 1954 D 5
> Aus v Eng Sydney(5) 1954-55 D 6
> Pak v NZ Dacca 1955-56 D 5
> Eng v NZ Leeds 1958 W 5
> Eng v SAf Manchester 1960 D 5
> Eng v Aus Lord's 1964 D 5
> NZ v Eng Christchurch 1974-75 D 6
> Ind v Aus Delhi 1986-87 D 5
> Aus v Pak Sydney 1989-90 D 6
> WI v Ind St John's 1996-97 D 5
> NZ v BD Hamilton 2001-02 W 5
> Zim v BD Bulawayo 2003-04 D 5
>
> aslam
> GO PACERS!!!

What about the 3rd Test Aus v Eng 1970/71 Melb?
Iirc, the 1st Test in Aust history to be washed out without a ball
being bowled. Incidentally, this lead to two things;

1) The 1st odo between Aus & Eng
2) A fabulous and protracted display of pettiness by the ACB who for
years refused John Gleeson the pension due to Aust players who'd
played 30 or more Tests by not acknowledging this Test even though the
toss had been made, leaving him on 29 and without a cent. Enter the
Packer.

alvey
in brisbane, noting that Cinfo still has Cho on 29.

29 Feb 2004 20:29:38
John Hall
Re: No play on the 1st two days of a Test match

In article <c1tgfq$1m9sf3$1@ID-155113.news.uni-berlin.de >,
alvey <alvey_digit_sidecast@yahoo.com > writes:
>What about the 3rd Test Aus v Eng 1970/71 Melb?

Aslam specifically stated that matches abandoned without any play were
excluded. Otherwise Old Trafford, 1938 would also have been in the list.
--
John Hall

"Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

02 Mar 2004 05:14:33

John Hall wrote:

> In article <c1tgfq$1m9sf3$1@ID-155113.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> alvey <alvey_digit_sidecast@yahoo.com> writes:
>
>>What about the 3rd Test Aus v Eng 1970/71 Melb?
>

> Aslam specifically stated that matches abandoned without any play were
> excluded. Otherwise Old Trafford, 1938 would also have been in the list.

Fair go cobber! You expect me to read *all* the way to the end of a
paragraph? Get serious.

al

05 Mar 2004 18:55:01
The Wog

"John Hall" <nospam_nov03@jhall.co.uk > wrote in message
> In article <c1tgfq$1m9sf3$1@ID-155113.news.uni-berlin.de>,
> alvey <alvey_digit_sidecast@yahoo.com> writes:
> >What about the 3rd Test Aus v Eng 1970/71 Melb?
>
> Aslam specifically stated that matches abandoned without any play were
> excluded. Otherwise Old Trafford, 1938 would also have been in the list.

Except that I don't believe that match was abandoned without any play. Word
is that there WAS play, to wit the bowler commencing his runup after the
call of Play. It didn't result in an actual delivery, but talk is that
everyone's stats should be credited an extra game. Not that I was there.