29 May 2005 13:13:30
zRahul
Indian pace bowlers the worst

Here is an interesting article in Cricinfo

http://content.cricinfo.com/columns/content/story/210046.html

This article was basically about Decline about the WI Pace power.
However if look at the stats it says a lot of interesting things about
India pace bowlers esp the stats since 2000.

1. In the period since 2000. India has the poorest record among all
countries listed in the stats. Yes they performed even worse than WI
the target of this article and SL who mainly depend on the spinners. The
bowling avg of Indian pacers is around 39 the second worst team NZ is
around 34 a huge difference.

2. Even though Indian pace bowlers were the worst in the world the
selectors still had a great faith in these bowlers. Since 2000 India
tried only 12 different pace bowlers. Other teams which were not doing
well in this dept tried around 23 bowlers ( Like WI,NZ). Even Australia
the team that was rated best in pace bowling Since 2000 tried 16
different bowlers (4 more than India).

This mainly highlights the decade so far where India relied mainly non
performers like Agarkars, Zaheers . Also reluctance of selectors to give
new players a chance when they had every reason to do so.

29 May 2005 22:36:37
Re: Indian pace bowlers the worst

Indian pace bowlers appear to be the worst becuase they perform mostly
on tracks made specially for Indian batsmen to look like superheros.,
home series against pakistan being the latest example.

30 May 2005 12:15:16
zRahul

irnmdn@email.com wrote:
> Indian pace bowlers appear to be the worst becuase they perform mostly
> on tracks made specially for Indian batsmen to look like superheros.,
> home series against pakistan being the latest example.

One of the reason Indian bowlers faring badly could be lack of talent or
as the stats sugessted in the article the selectors reluctance to try
new talent. In India we tend to give all different reasons but reluctant
to admit perhaps we do not have the talent or at least the bowlers who
end up playing for India are not talented enough and accept this is the
best they can do.
Recently I was reading Prem Panicker Live commentary in rediff during
Ind-Pak ODI series. Prem was saying almost in every sentence that the
Indian pace bowlers were bowling Afridi the wrong line by bowling
outside the leg stump ( which by the way is the wrong line to allmost
any batsman). He was talking as if Indian bowlers were doing this on
purpose. Is it not possible that Indian bowlers are neither talented
nor have the skill to bowl accurately on a certain line and length ball
after ball.

30 May 2005 19:05:15
R. Bharat Rao

"zRahul" <zrahul@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> irnmdn@email.com wrote:
> Recently I was reading Prem Panicker Live commentary in rediff during
> Ind-Pak ODI series. Prem was saying almost in every sentence that the
> Indian pace bowlers were bowling Afridi the wrong line by bowling outside
> the leg stump ( which by the way is the wrong line to allmost any
> batsman). He was talking as if Indian bowlers were doing this on purpose.

Given the source (PP), I'd be a little careful about ascribing too much
accuracy to his play-by-play...

Not that your points may not otherwise hold...

Bharat