31 Aug 2007 05:21:13
Aslam Siddiqui
Highest unbroken p'ship for each wkt to win an ODI

Here are the top three unbroken partnerships for each wicket to win a
Limited-overs International match:

1st wicket:
200* SC Williams (78*)/S Chanderpaul (109*)
WI bt Ind by 10 wkts, Bridgetown, May 3, 1997
197* SC Ganguly (63*)/SR Tendulkar (124*)
Ind bt Zim by 10 wkts, Sharjah, Nov 13, 1998
192* CG Greenidge (133*)/DL Haynes (53*)
WI bt NZ by 10 wkts, Christchurch, Mar 28, 1987
192* ME Trescothick (100*)/AJ Strauss (82*)
Eng bt BD by 10 wkts, The Oval, Jun 16, 2005
Note: West Indians (v Pakistan, Melbourne, Feb 23, 1992) DL Haynes
(93*), BC Lara (88* retired hurt) and RB Richardson (20*) put on 221*
to win the match by 10 wickets.

2nd wicket:
178* ML Hayden (80*)/RT Ponting (106*)
Aus bt SL by 9 wkts, Melbourne, Jan 21, 2003
167* DC Boon (79*)/TM Moody (87*)
Aus bt Ind by 9 wkts, Sydney, Jan 14, 1992
163* SM Gavaskar (65*)/M Azharuddin (83*)
Ind bt Eng by 9 wkts, The Oval, May 24, 1986

3rd wicket:
213* ST Jayasuriya (134*)/PA de Silva (102*)
SL bt Pak by 8 wkts, Lahore, Nov 5, 1997
200* Shoaib Malik (86*)/Yousuf Youhana (107*)
Pak bt SL by 8 wkts, Karachi, Oct 6, 2004
195* CG Greenidge (105*)/HA Gomes (75*)
WI bt Zim by 8 wkts, Worcester, Jun 13, 1983

4th wicket:
175* Rajin Saleh (108*)/Habibul Bashar (64*)
BD bt Ken by 7 wkts, Fatullah, Mar 25, 2006
171* RS Mahanama (94*)/A Ranatunga (87*)
SL bt WI by 7 wkts, Lahore, Nov 1, 1997
163* Ijaz Ahmed (89*)/Inzamam-ul-Haq (63*)
Pak bt Ind by 7 wkts, Mohali, Apr 1, 1999

5th wicket:
186* MW Goodwin (112*)/GW Flower (96*)
Zim bt WI by 6 wkts, Chester-le-Street, Jul 16, 2000
147* Ijaz Ahmed (98*)/ Basit Ali (52*)
Pak bt SAf by 6 wkts, Faisalabad, Oct 28, 1994
135* GP Thorpe (75*)/AJ Hollioake (66*)
Eng bt Aus by 6 wkts, Leeds, May 22, 1997

6th wicket:
134* IH Romaine (85*)/LO Cann (49*)
Ber bt Sco by 5 wkts, Nairobi, Feb 5 2007
132* RS Dravid (76*)/M Kaif (71*)
Ind bt Pak by 5 wkts, Lahore, Mar 21, 2004
131* TM Dilshan (81*)/RP Arnold (49*)
SL bt Ind by 5 wkts, Ahmedabad, Nov 6, 2005

7th wicket:
126* DPM Jayawardene (94*)/UDU Chandana (44*)
SL bt Ind by 4 wkts, Dambulla, Aug 3, 2005
87* MV Boucher (55*)/L Klusener (52*)
SAf bt Aus by 4 wkts, Johannesburg, Apr 16, 2000
86* MW Gatting (115*)/PR Downton (27*)
Eng bt Ind by 4 wkts, Poona, Dec 5, 1984

8th wicket:
99* RS Bopara (43*)/SCJ Broad (45*)
Eng bt Ind by 3 wkts, Manchester, Aug 30, 2007
69* L Klusener (59*)/S Abraham (16*)
SAf bt NZ by 3 wkts, Cape Town, Nov 4, 2000
66* RP Arnold (23*)/DNT Zoysa (47*)
SL bt Aus by 3 wkts, Colombo, Feb 29, 2004

9th wicket:
74* BB McCullum (50*)/DL Vettori (23*)
NZ bt Aus by 2 wkts, Christchurch, Dec 10, 2005
73* MG Bevan (73*)/AJ Bichel (34*)
Aus bt Eng by 2 wkts, Port Elizabeth, Mar 2, 2003
71* CO Browne (35*)/IDR Bradshaw (34*)
WI bt Eng by 2 wkts, The Oval, Sep 25, 2004

10th wicket:
64* DL Murray (61*)/AME Roberts (24*)
WI bt Pak by 1 wkt, Birmingham, Jun 11, 1975
55* TM Odoyo (61*)/HA Varaiya (5*)
Ken bt Ire by 1 wkt, Nairobi (Ruaraka), Feb 2, 2007
26* RA Harper (26*)/CA Walsh (5*)
WI bt NZ by 1 wkt, Kingston, Mar 26, 1996

aslam
GO CUBS!!!

01 Sep 2007 00:24:53
Rodney
Re: Highest unbroken p'ship for each wkt to win an ODI

Aslam Siddiqui wrote:
> Here are the top three unbroken partnerships for each wicket to win a
> Limited-overs International match:

<snipped >

> 8th wicket:
> 99* RS Bopara (43*)/SCJ Broad (45*)
> Eng bt Ind by 3 wkts, Manchester, Aug 30, 2007

Are you certain that that partnership didn't find its way into three
figures? Watching the highlights today, I picked up Hussain squealing
triumphantly about over-throws off that final delivery.

--
Cheers,
Rodney Ulyate

I'll take a quiet life, a handshake, some carbon monoxide.

Mike Holmans
Re: Highest unbroken p'ship for each wkt to win an ODI

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:24:53 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com >
tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>Aslam Siddiqui wrote:
>> Here are the top three unbroken partnerships for each wicket to win a
>> Limited-overs International match:
>>
><snipped>
>>
>> 8th wicket:
>> 99* RS Bopara (43*)/SCJ Broad (45*)
>> Eng bt Ind by 3 wkts, Manchester, Aug 30, 2007
>
>Are you certain that that partnership didn't find its way into three
>figures? Watching the highlights today, I picked up Hussain squealing
>triumphantly about over-throws off that final delivery.

According to the Laws, the game is over when the winning run is
scored. Overthrows would only have mattered if England had needed more
than one to win.

Cheers,

Mike

Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:24:53 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:
>
>> Aslam Siddiqui wrote:
>>> Here are the top three unbroken partnerships for each wicket to win a
>>> Limited-overs International match:
>>>
>> <snipped>
>>> 8th wicket:
>>> 99* RS Bopara (43*)/SCJ Broad (45*)
>>> Eng bt Ind by 3 wkts, Manchester, Aug 30, 2007
>> Are you certain that that partnership didn't find its way into three
>> figures? Watching the highlights today, I picked up Hussain squealing
>> triumphantly about over-throws off that final delivery.
>
> According to the Laws, the game is over when the winning run is
> scored. Overthrows would only have mattered if England had needed more
> than one to win.

Sure. Thanks.

--
Cheers,
Rodney Ulyate

I'll take a quiet life, a handshake, some carbon monoxide.

Wog George

"Rodney" <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com > wrote in message
> Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:24:53 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
>> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>>> <snipped>
>>> Are you certain that that partnership didn't find its way into three
>>> figures? Watching the highlights today, I picked up Hussain squealing
>>> triumphantly about over-throws off that final delivery.
>>
>> According to the Laws, the game is over when the winning run is
>> scored. Overthrows would only have mattered if England had needed more
>> than one to win.
>
> Sure. Thanks.

I think it's the same with a four. If the batsmen have completed sufficient
runs to win the match prior to the ball reaching the boundary, the four
doesn't count. I think it may have happened to Stodge in the VB series when
the boundary would have given him a ton, but I may also be speaking out of
my arse.

Presumably the same principle would apply to sixes as well, although a good
solid whack is likely to fly over the boundary before the batsmen have time
to get to t'other end.

--
George
"I just wonder if I could get a baby real quick?" - Hat McCullough - 10 July

31 Aug 2007 16:49:37
RishiX

On 31 Aug, 15:24, Rodney <rodney.uly...@gmail.com > wrote:
> Aslam Siddiqui wrote:
> > Here are the top three unbroken partnerships for each wicket to win a
> > Limited-overs International match:
>
> <snipped>
>
> > 8th wicket:
> > 99* RS Bopara (43*)/SCJ Broad (45*)
> > Eng bt Ind by 3 wkts, Manchester, Aug 30, 2007
>
> Are you certain that that partnership didn't find its way into three
> figures? Watching the highlights today, I picked up Hussain squealing
> triumphantly about over-throws off that final delivery.
>
> --
> Cheers,
> Rodney Ulyate
>
> I'll take a quiet life, a handshake, some carbon monoxide.

I did not watch the winning run being scored, but I watched until the
scores were level. So if they had actually run a single and there were
overthrows, they would not count toward the total.

31 Aug 2007 16:50:38
RishiX

On 31 Aug, 16:49, RishiX <rish...@hotmail.com > wrote:
> On 31 Aug, 15:24, Rodney <rodney.uly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> > Aslam Siddiqui wrote:
> > > Here are the top three unbroken partnerships for each wicket to win a
> > > Limited-overs International match:
>
> > <snipped>
>
> > > 8th wicket:
> > > 99* RS Bopara (43*)/SCJ Broad (45*)
> > > Eng bt Ind by 3 wkts, Manchester, Aug 30, 2007
>
> > Are you certain that that partnership didn't find its way into three
> > figures? Watching the highlights today, I picked up Hussain squealing
> > triumphantly about over-throws off that final delivery.
>
> > --
> > Cheers,
> > Rodney Ulyate
>
> > I'll take a quiet life, a handshake, some carbon monoxide.
>
> > --
>
> I did not watch the winning run being scored, but I watched until the
> scores were level. So if they had actually run a single and there were
> overthrows, they would not count toward the total.- Hide quoted text -

Oops - did not read Mike's response... Never mind.

01 Sep 2007 01:54:25

Wog George wrote:
> "Rodney" <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Mike Holmans wrote:
>>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:24:53 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
>>> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>>> According to the Laws, the game is over when the winning run is
>>> scored. Overthrows would only have mattered if England had needed more
>>> than one to win.
>> Sure. Thanks.
>
> I think it's the same with a four. If the batsmen have completed sufficient
> runs to win the match prior to the ball reaching the boundary, the four
> doesn't count.

I'm pretty sure that it does. Mike?

--

RishiX wrote:
> On 31 Aug, 15:24, Rodney <rodney.uly...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Aslam Siddiqui wrote:
>>> Here are the top three unbroken partnerships for each wicket to win a
>>> Limited-overs International match:
>> <snipped>
>>
>>> 8th wicket:
>>> 99* RS Bopara (43*)/SCJ Broad (45*)
>>> Eng bt Ind by 3 wkts, Manchester, Aug 30, 2007
>> Are you certain that that partnership didn't find its way into three
>> figures? Watching the highlights today, I picked up Hussain squealing
>> triumphantly about over-throws off that final delivery.
>>
>> --
>> Cheers,
>> Rodney Ulyate
>>
>> I'll take a quiet life, a handshake, some carbon monoxide.
>>
>> --
>
> I did not watch the winning run being scored, but I watched until the
> scores were level. So if they had actually run a single and there were
> overthrows, they would not count toward the total.

Thanks.

--

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:54:25 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com >
tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>Wog George wrote:
>> "Rodney" <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com> wrote in message

>> I think it's the same with a four. If the batsmen have completed sufficient
>> runs to win the match prior to the ball reaching the boundary, the four
>> doesn't count.
>
>I'm pretty sure that it does. Mike?

It doesn't. See Law 21.6 (c).

Mike Holmans wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:54:25 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:
>
>> Wog George wrote:
>>> "Rodney" <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>>> I think it's the same with a four. If the batsmen have completed sufficient
>>> runs to win the match prior to the ball reaching the boundary, the four
>>> doesn't count.
>> I'm pretty sure that it does. Mike?

I'm sure, though, that I've seen teams on, say, 264 chasing down 262...

--
Cheers,
Rodney Ulyate

I'll take a quiet life, a handshake, some carbon monoxide.

Mad Hamish
Re: Highest unbroken p'ship for each wkt to win an ODI

On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:29:29 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com >
wrote:

>Mike Holmans wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:54:25 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
>> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>>> I'm pretty sure that it does. Mike?
>
>I'm sure, though, that I've seen teams on, say, 264 chasing down 262...

If the batsmen haven't completed the runs then the full amount from
the boundary is scored.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
newsunspammelaws@iinet.unspamme.net.au

01 Sep 2007 15:28:34

Mad Hamish wrote:
> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:29:29 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> Mike Holmans wrote:
>>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 01:54:25 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
>>> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>> I'm sure, though, that I've seen teams on, say, 264 chasing down 262...
>>
> If the batsmen haven't completed the runs then the full amount from
> the boundary is scored.

Bingo.

--
Cheers,
Rodney Ulyate

I'll take a quiet life, a handshake, some carbon monoxide.

Andrew Dunford
Re: Highest unbroken p'ship for each wkt to win an ODI

"RishiX" <rishi_n@hotmail.com > wrote in message

<snip >

> I did not watch the winning run being scored, but I watched until the
> scores were level.

Ah. So you ran away.

<snip >

Andrew

03 Sep 2007 14:14:51
Andrew Dunford

"Wog George" <wog-NotThisBit-george@amd-p.com > wrote in message

> "Rodney" <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> Mike Holmans wrote:
>>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 00:24:53 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
>>> tapped the keyboard and brought forth:

>>> According to the Laws, the game is over when the winning run is
>>> scored. Overthrows would only have mattered if England had needed more
>>> than one to win.
>>
>> Sure. Thanks.
>>

> I think it's the same with a four. If the batsmen have completed
> sufficient runs to win the match prior to the ball reaching the boundary,
> the four doesn't count. I think it may have happened to Stodge in the VB
> series when the boundary would have given him a ton, but I may also be
> speaking out of my arse.

Did indeed happen, at Melbourne, Hodge running two to reach 99* when the
match finished.

In contrast both the second and third Chappell Had Me matches in 2006/07
were won by McCullum hitting a boundary with the scores level, the shot
counting as four on each occasion because the batsmen did not run.

Andrew

03 Sep 2007 18:09:57
Andy Guthrie

Rodney wrote:
> Mad Hamish wrote:
>> On Sat, 01 Sep 2007 14:29:29 +0200, Rodney <rodney.ulyate@gmail.com>
>> wrote:

>>> I'm sure, though, that I've seen teams on, say, 264 chasing down 262...
>>>
>> If the batsmen haven't completed the runs then the full amount from
>> the boundary is scored.
>
> Bingo.

And of course the sharp witted striker will avoid actually making his
ground for the winning run until the ball reaches the boundary and he
gets his full allowance.