29 Feb 2004 22:16:29
CiL
Fleming hits out against Sunshine

++++++++ ' Captains at odds over testy moments ' +++++++++

Rival captains Stephen Fleming and Graeme Smith were at odds last
night after numerous testy moments during New Zealand's historic
one-day series win at Eden Park.
--
.... at the same post-match interview he appeared to tire at some of
the excuses Smith has been trotting out, one of which was bemoaning

"I'm not intelligent enough to keep analysing all the things he is
bringing up," Fleming said.

More at

CiL
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

On Sun, 29 Feb 2004 22:16:29 +0530, CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com >
wrote:

>++++++++ ' Captains at odds over testy moments ' +++++++++
>
>Rival captains Stephen Fleming and Graeme Smith were at odds last
>night after numerous testy moments during New Zealand's historic
>one-day series win at Eden Park.

CiL
The women, Slinky n Wendy land up and natak has started.... Hmm.....

From the NZ herald
http://www.nzherald.co.nz/sports/sportsstorydisplay.cfm?storyID=3552076&thesection=sport&thesubsection=cricket&thesecondsubsection=blackcaps
++++++++++
the turbulent one-dayer included an extraordinary outburst from
Jacques Kallis, who virtually bailed up Brendon McCullum after bowling
the 29th over.

Kallis approached McCullum at the end of the over, remonstrated with
him nose-to-nose and had to be pushed away by Graeme Smith.

Kallis evidently believed that McCullum had run into him between the
wickets, although television replays suggested slight, if any contact,
and little fault with either player.

The atmosphere was also ratcheted up several notches at the start of
South Africa's innings, when Fleming appeared to have a lively
conversation with Smith and then Kyle Mills chipped in.

--------
.....Smith refused to comment on the issue.
"I'm not getting involved ... you better talk to Fleming about it. I
have my views on it, but if I told you them I'd end up getting a
fine."
+++++++

and no Prakash Melwani, nobody will be fined cos the umps have not
reported it;
+++
Match referee Gundappa Viswanath said no player had been cited by the
umpires.
+++

01 Mar 2004 06:07:16
alvey
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

CiL wrote:

snip

> and no Prakash Melwani, nobody will be fined cos the umps have not
> reported it;
> +++
> Match referee Gundappa Viswanath said no player had been cited by the
> umpires.
> +++

Fucking racist ICC.

alvey

01 Mar 2004 09:10:50
Andrew Dunford
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

"CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com > wrote in message

<snip >

> and no Prakash Melwani, nobody will be fined cos the umps have not
> reported it;
> +++
> Match referee Gundappa Viswanath said no player had been cited by the
> umpires.

Don't speak too soon. The Speed Rule states that the CEO of the ICC has
five days in which to lay charges, which leaves plenty of time for Prakash
to email Malcolm Speed.

Note to Prakash: consider making your case more concisely than normal,
otherwise Mr Speed may struggle to read it through by Friday.

Andrew

01 Mar 2004 09:15:01
CiL
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:10:50 +1300, "Andrew Dunford"
<adunford@artifax.net > wrote:

>"CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
>
><snip>
>
>> and no Prakash Melwani, nobody will be fined cos the umps have not
>> reported it;
>> +++
>> Match referee Gundappa Viswanath said no player had been cited by the
>> umpires.
>
>Don't speak too soon. The Speed Rule states that the CEO of the ICC has
>five days in which to lay charges, which leaves plenty of time for Prakash
>to email Malcolm Speed.
>
>Note to Prakash: consider making your case more concisely than normal,
>otherwise Mr Speed may struggle to read it through by Friday.

btw Andrew... U saw this match and the clashes? seems the series has
turned nasty... Its going to be interesting Test series all right,...
whats ur gut feel on the pitches?

And would we have a full Test series, or will the weather mistress
strike there as well?

CiL
Worried about Slinky and Wendy, after all they have to go and fight
for world peace and apartheid.

01 Mar 2004 17:17:00
Andrew Dunford

> On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:10:50 +1300, "Andrew Dunford"
> <adunford@artifax.net> wrote:
>

> >"CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> >
> ><snip>
> >
> >> and no Prakash Melwani, nobody will be fined cos the umps have not
> >> reported it;
> >> +++
> >> Match referee Gundappa Viswanath said no player had been cited by the
> >> umpires.
> >
> >Don't speak too soon. The Speed Rule states that the CEO of the ICC has
> >five days in which to lay charges, which leaves plenty of time for
Prakash
> >to email Malcolm Speed.
> >
> >Note to Prakash: consider making your case more concisely than normal,
> >otherwise Mr Speed may struggle to read it through by Friday.
> >

> btw Andrew... U saw this match and the clashes? seems the series has
> turned nasty...

I saw some of the match, but not any of the nasties.

Evidently there was some needle, certainly more than has happened in the
other matches. The Kallis-McCullum thing sounded like Kallis blew his top,
although McCullum's running between the wickets would be enough to annoy
anyone.

The Smith-Fleming thing happened as the players were preparing to start the
second innings. From what I heard on the radio, it sounded a bit like the
tirade Hayden was alleged to have delivered to Smith ie. Fleming went up and
started verbally needling Smith, who gave some back, then the two of them
traded 'views' for 30 seconds or so.

It all fell a bit flat for Fleming when Smith offered him a straight-forward
chance at slip, but Fleming appeared not to see it and was struck on the
wrist. Though Smith's batting was horribly out of sorts throughout his
innings.

> Its going to be interesting Test series all right,...
> whats ur gut feel on the pitches?

Hamilton promises to be a laugh. They've had the covers on for so much of
the last month that the pitch block has contracted some sort of algae. The
groundsman is pinning his hopes on one pitch at the very edge of the block
(which means one boundary will be outrageously short), but there must be a
chance the pitch there will be even worse than usual. Other pitches at
Hamilton this season have been taking spin.

> And would we have a full Test series, or will the weather mistress
> strike there as well?

Based on the past month, we can expect the whole series to be ruined by
rain. However I continue to hold out some hope that decent weather isn't
far away.

> CiL
> Worried about Slinky and Wendy, after all they have to go and fight
> for world peace and apartheid.

I think 'Wendy' might be named Cindy. I'm surprised you haven't yet claimed
there's a link between the verbals involving Kallis and Smith and the
arrival of their cheerleaders.

Andrew

01 Mar 2004 10:10:54
CiL
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 17:17:00 +1300, "Andrew Dunford"
<adunford@artifax.net > wrote:

<snip info >
>Based on the past month, we can expect the whole series to be ruined by
>rain. However I continue to hold out some hope that decent weather isn't
>far away.

I really hope too,,, This could turn out to be a special series..
Coach JB n Captain Fantastic must be thinking may be they hav a real
chance at Test series and Smith wud be itching for revenge

>> CiL
>> Worried about Slinky and Wendy, after all they have to go and fight
>> for world peace and apartheid.
>
>I think 'Wendy' might be named Cindy.

okie! Cindy Trendy Wendy then..

>I'm surprised you haven't yet claimed
>there's a link between the verbals involving Kallis and Smith and the
>arrival of their cheerleaders.

I already did, my posting of Herald url had this 'observation'!

++
CiL
The women, Slinky n Wendy land up and natak has started.... Hmm.....
++

29 Feb 2004 21:19:44
Bob Dubery
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com > wrote in message news:<e46440p6v71br1hie4km13ptvpnvtba9e4@4ax.com>...

> the turbulent one-dayer included an extraordinary outburst from
> Jacques Kallis, who virtually bailed up Brendon McCullum after bowling
> the 29th over.
>
> Kallis approached McCullum at the end of the over, remonstrated with
> him nose-to-nose and had to be pushed away by Graeme Smith.
>
> Kallis evidently believed that McCullum had run into him between the
> wickets, although television replays suggested slight, if any contact,
> and little fault with either player.
Personally I thought the TV replays showed Kallis just happening to
stick his elbow out at the exact moment that McCullum ran past him.
Amazing coincidence.

Anyhoo... there goes my theory of the tactical citation. Kallis and
McCullum have an exchange of pleasentries, Kallis is not keen to let
whatever the issue is go, Smith runs over and pushes Kallis away and
then he has something to say to McCullum (McCullum's reply included a
jabbing motion with the elbow). You'd think there was something in all
of that for somebody to lay before the RIMR, but it seems there was
not so much as a dicky bird in that direction.

I suppose men are still men in New Zealand. I have no idea what
Smith's excuse is.

01 Mar 2004 11:06:17

On 29 Feb 2004 21:19:44 -0800, megapode@hotmail.com (Bob Dubery)
wrote:

>CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:<e46440p6v71br1hie4km13ptvpnvtba9e4@4ax.com>...
>>
>> the turbulent one-dayer included an extraordinary outburst from
>> Jacques Kallis, who virtually bailed up Brendon McCullum after bowling
>> the 29th over.
>>
>> Kallis approached McCullum at the end of the over, remonstrated with
>> him nose-to-nose and had to be pushed away by Graeme Smith.
>>
>> Kallis evidently believed that McCullum had run into him between the
>> wickets, although television replays suggested slight, if any contact,
>> and little fault with either player.
>Personally I thought the TV replays showed Kallis just happening to
>stick his elbow out at the exact moment that McCullum ran past him.
>Amazing coincidence.
>
>Anyhoo... there goes my theory of the tactical citation. Kallis and
>McCullum have an exchange of pleasentries, Kallis is not keen to let
>whatever the issue is go, Smith runs over and pushes Kallis away and
>then he has something to say to McCullum (McCullum's reply included a
>jabbing motion with the elbow). You'd think there was something in all
>of that for somebody to lay before the RIMR, but it seems there was
>not so much as a dicky bird in that direction.

I am sure if there were Indians involved, they would have been fined
and charged

-
Pruckus Melwani

>>I suppose men are still men in New Zealand. I have no idea what
>Smith's excuse is.

Slinky Kinky Minky

01 Mar 2004 13:25:17
Richard

"Bob Dubery" <megapode@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
news:<e46440p6v71br1hie4km13ptvpnvtba9e4@4ax.com >...

> I suppose men are still men in New Zealand. I have no idea what
> Smith's excuse is.

O ja, men are men and the sheep are scared.

Or is that Australia??

01 Mar 2004 04:06:08
Bob Dubery
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com > wrote in message news:<e46440p6v71br1hie4km13ptvpnvtba9e4@4ax.com>...

> The atmosphere was also ratcheted up several notches at the start of
> South Africa's innings, when Fleming appeared to have a lively
> conversation with Smith and then Kyle Mills chipped in.

Newspapers in Jo'burg are carrying the most unbelievable story. I
really can't believe what I've read. It's astonishing.

Anyway... let me tell you. The reports say that Fleming has not only
admitted to sledging Smith but.... and this is the amazing bit ...
says that he did so with the intention of distracting Smith from the
task at hand.

Even more astounding is Fleming's assertion that the tactic worked.

01 Mar 2004 18:05:11

On 1 Mar 2004 04:06:08 -0800, megapode@hotmail.com (Bob Dubery) wrote:

>CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:<e46440p6v71br1hie4km13ptvpnvtba9e4@4ax.com>...
>>
>> The atmosphere was also ratcheted up several notches at the start of
>> South Africa's innings, when Fleming appeared to have a lively
>> conversation with Smith and then Kyle Mills chipped in.
>
>Newspapers in Jo'burg are carrying the most unbelievable story. I
>really can't believe what I've read. It's astonishing.
>
>Anyway... let me tell you. The reports say that Fleming has not only
>admitted to sledging Smith but.... and this is the amazing bit ...
>says that he did so with the intention of distracting Smith from the
>task at hand.
>
>Even more astounding is Fleming's assertion that the tactic worked.

Hear what the best coach out there - Coach JB has to say about
Sunshine n co.

++++++
New Zealand coach John Bracewell defended Fleming, suggesting he was
sticking up for McCullum and Kyle Mills, who has clashed with Smith
throughout the series.

"I quite like the way they're not allowing themselves to be bullied,
and I like the way their team-mates went in there and helped them
out," Bracewell said.

"The South Africans learned the trick from the Australians, but I
don't think they're as good at it.
We're very aware of it, under pressure with their backs to the wall,
people will try those things. The Australians do it by nature, they do
it before they've started losing."

South Africa coach Eric Simons said he was disappointed with the
Fleming-Smith clash.

"There's needle out there but it wasn't necessary perhaps," Simons
said, adding there was no lingering animosity between the sides.

From http://sport.iafrica.com/news/topstory/306209.htm
===========================

And a picture of Smith pushing Kallis away at
http://www.supercricket.co.za/default.asp?aid=107757&sportCategory=SUPERCRICKET/SATEAM

----------------------
And coach Simon seems rather disappointed with Pace bowling backup
available back home
+++++++
Simons said the players in New Zealand were the best available. "With
the greatest respect to the guys at home, they're not pushing our boys
enough by constantly putting in bowling performances that say 'pick
me'," he said.

Simons admitted, though, that key bowlers such as Makhaya Ntini and
Shaun Pollock were tired after playing almost non-stop international
cricket since August 2002, although he said any staleness was probably
more mental than physical.

More of Where are the back-up bowlers? at
http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/2004/02/29/sport/cricket/cricket01.asp
+++++++++

CiL
+++++ how Flem is Mind fucking Sunshine! ++++++++
Fleming knows all about the pressures on a young captain, having taken
over seven years ago at 23.

He has kept Smith guessing with his field placings.

" 'Flem' has changed his game plan against me in every match so far,"
said Smith. "I'm sure he's just trying to get into my mind rather than
attempt to exploit anything meaningful, so it's important for me to
keep to my game plan."
-----------
..The practice pitches have been very different to what we have been
getting in the middle," said Smith. "It makes it difficult."
From Colin Brydon's tour note book at
http://www.sundaytimes.co.za/2004/02/29/sport/cricket/cricket03.asp

01 Mar 2004 23:43:02
Mad Hamish
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

On 1 Mar 2004 04:06:08 -0800, megapode@hotmail.com (Bob Dubery) wrote:

>CiL <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message news:<e46440p6v71br1hie4km13ptvpnvtba9e4@4ax.com>...
>>
>> The atmosphere was also ratcheted up several notches at the start of
>> South Africa's innings, when Fleming appeared to have a lively
>> conversation with Smith and then Kyle Mills chipped in.
>
>Newspapers in Jo'burg are carrying the most unbelievable story. I
>really can't believe what I've read. It's astonishing.
>
>Anyway... let me tell you. The reports say that Fleming has not only
>admitted to sledging Smith but.... and this is the amazing bit ...
>says that he did so with the intention of distracting Smith from the
>task at hand.
>
>Even more astounding is Fleming's assertion that the tactic worked.

Shocking.
--
"Hope is replaced by fear and dreams by survival, most of us get by."
Stuart Adamson 1958-2001

Mad Hamish
Hamish Laws
h_laws@aardvark.net.au

01 Mar 2004 14:22:03
KC

"Andrew Dunford" <adunford@artifax.net > wrote in message news:<YOy0c.29488$ws.3285140@news02.tsnz.net>...
> "CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Mon, 1 Mar 2004 09:10:50 +1300, "Andrew Dunford"
> > <adunford@artifax.net> wrote:
> >

> > >"CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message
> > >
> > ><snip>

> > >Don't speak too soon. The Speed Rule states that the CEO of the ICC has
> > >five days in which to lay charges, which leaves plenty of time for
> Prakash
> > >to email Malcolm Speed.
> > >
> > >Note to Prakash: consider making your case more concisely than normal,
> > >otherwise Mr Speed may struggle to read it through by Friday.
> > >

> > btw Andrew... U saw this match and the clashes? seems the series has
> > turned nasty...
>
> I saw some of the match, but not any of the nasties.
>
> Evidently there was some needle, certainly more than has happened in the
> other matches. The Kallis-McCullum thing sounded like Kallis blew his top,
> although McCullum's running between the wickets would be enough to annoy
> anyone.
>
> The Smith-Fleming thing happened as the players were preparing to start the
> second innings. From what I heard on the radio, it sounded a bit like the
> tirade Hayden was alleged to have delivered to Smith ie. Fleming went up and
> started verbally needling Smith, who gave some back, then the two of them
> traded 'views' for 30 seconds or so.
>
> It all fell a bit flat for Fleming when Smith offered him a straight-forward
> chance at slip, but Fleming appeared not to see it and was struck on the
> wrist. Though Smith's batting was horribly out of sorts throughout his
> innings.
>
> > Its going to be interesting Test series all right,...
> > whats ur gut feel on the pitches?
>
> Hamilton promises to be a laugh. They've had the covers on for so much of
> the last month that the pitch block has contracted some sort of algae. The
> groundsman is pinning his hopes on one pitch at the very edge of the block
> (which means one boundary will be outrageously short), but there must be a
> chance the pitch there will be even worse than usual. Other pitches at
> Hamilton this season have been taking spin.
>
> > And would we have a full Test series, or will the weather mistress
> > strike there as well?
>
> Based on the past month, we can expect the whole series to be ruined by
> rain. However I continue to hold out some hope that decent weather isn't
> far away.
>
> > CiL
> > Worried about Slinky and Wendy, after all they have to go and fight
> > for world peace and apartheid.
>
> I think 'Wendy' might be named Cindy. I'm surprised you haven't yet claimed
> there's a link between the verbals involving Kallis and Smith and the
> arrival of their cheerleaders.
>
> Andrew

That seems like very un-fleming-like behaviour. I am surprised that he
would start something with another captain, or have i just misjudged
him?

02 Mar 2004 12:11:05
Andrew Dunford

"KC" <man_485@hotmail.com > wrote in message
> "Andrew Dunford" <adunford@artifax.net> wrote in message
news:<YOy0c.29488$ws.3285140@news02.tsnz.net >...
> > "CiL" <cricketislife@rediffmail.com> wrote in message

> > Prakash

> > > btw Andrew... U saw this match and the clashes? seems the series has
> > > turned nasty...
> >
> > I saw some of the match, but not any of the nasties.
> >
> > Evidently there was some needle, certainly more than has happened in the
> > other matches. The Kallis-McCullum thing sounded like Kallis blew his
top,
> > although McCullum's running between the wickets would be enough to annoy
> > anyone.
> >
> > The Smith-Fleming thing happened as the players were preparing to start
the
> > second innings. From what I heard on the radio, it sounded a bit like
the
> > tirade Hayden was alleged to have delivered to Smith ie. Fleming went up
and
> > started verbally needling Smith, who gave some back, then the two of
them
> > traded 'views' for 30 seconds or so.
> >
> > It all fell a bit flat for Fleming when Smith offered him a
straight-forward
> > chance at slip, but Fleming appeared not to see it and was struck on the
> > wrist. Though Smith's batting was horribly out of sorts throughout his
> > innings.
> >
> > > Its going to be interesting Test series all right,...
> > > whats ur gut feel on the pitches?
> >
> > Hamilton promises to be a laugh. They've had the covers on for so much
of
> > the last month that the pitch block has contracted some sort of algae.
The
> > groundsman is pinning his hopes on one pitch at the very edge of the
block
> > (which means one boundary will be outrageously short), but there must be
> > chance the pitch there will be even worse than usual. Other pitches at
> > Hamilton this season have been taking spin.
> >
> > > And would we have a full Test series, or will the weather mistress
> > > strike there as well?
> >
> > Based on the past month, we can expect the whole series to be ruined by
> > rain. However I continue to hold out some hope that decent weather
isn't
> > far away.
> >
> > > CiL
> > > Worried about Slinky and Wendy, after all they have to go and fight
> > > for world peace and apartheid.
> >
> > I think 'Wendy' might be named Cindy. I'm surprised you haven't yet
claimed
> > there's a link between the verbals involving Kallis and Smith and the
> > arrival of their cheerleaders.
> >
> > Andrew
>
> That seems like very un-fleming-like behaviour. I am surprised that he
> would start something with another captain, or have i just misjudged
> him?

I don't think he's ever been the saint that some have portrayed him to be.
The NZ team under Fleming sledge as much as anyone else, although they
generally seem to manage to carry it off without significantly tarnishing
their image, perhaps by knowing where the 'line' is.

It was interesting to hear John Bracewell portray the whole thing as being
"if they give us stick, we'll give it back". A cute response, which to some
extent can be backed up by pointing to the Kallis outburst against McCullum
as being the catalyst. However I don't think that tells the full story: NZ
has decided that Mr Smith is an 'emotional' character and thus there is
mileage in tickling him every once in a while.

Andrew

01 Mar 2004 22:40:25
KC
Re: Fleming hits out against Sunshine

> > That seems like very un-fleming-like behaviour. I am surprised that he
> > would start something with another captain, or have i just misjudged
> > him?
>
> I don't think he's ever been the saint that some have portrayed him to be.
> The NZ team under Fleming sledge as much as anyone else, although they
> generally seem to manage to carry it off without significantly tarnishing
> their image, perhaps by knowing where the 'line' is.
>
> It was interesting to hear John Bracewell portray the whole thing as being
> "if they give us stick, we'll give it back". A cute response, which to some
> extent can be backed up by pointing to the Kallis outburst against McCullum
> as being the catalyst. However I don't think that tells the full story: NZ
> has decided that Mr Smith is an 'emotional' character and thus there is
> mileage in tickling him every once in a while.
>
> Andrew

Actually ive never thought the NZ team are angels. Parore (or it
astle) who always seems to get a mention as one of the worst sledgers.
I just thought Fleming himself was pretty good at staying out of it.

02 Mar 2004 13:26:57
Michael Seth

KC wrote:

>Actually ive never thought the NZ team are angels. Parore (or it
>astle) who always seems to get a mention as one of the worst sledgers.
>I just thought Fleming himself was pretty good at staying out of it.

NZ seems to produce the odd serious exponents of sledging. Parore was
extremely talkative
and it may have been the amount of stuff rather than the content which
was annoying.
Dion Nash certainly liked to hand it out. Tony Blain didn't really
sledge as such but had
so many weird mannerisms it tended to really get under the skin of the
Aussies.
Richard Petrie was said to have let out an almighty torrent of sledging
in what
may have been his first over of international cricket. The recipient,
noted easy victim of
abuse and pressure and inexperienced waif Allan Border, must have wondered
who the heck this guy is. I don't recall too many pre-eighties
exponents. I guess when
you're getting thrashed it's a bit pointless.

Cheers
Michael

03 Mar 2004 18:26:41
KC

Michael Seth <michaelseth@nospam.hotmail.com > wrote in message news:<c22qn9$4cd$1@news.ucalgary.ca>...
> KC wrote:
>

> >Actually ive never thought the NZ team are angels. Parore (or it
> >astle) who always seems to get a mention as one of the worst sledgers.
> >I just thought Fleming himself was pretty good at staying out of it.
> >
> NZ seems to produce the odd serious exponents of sledging. Parore was
> extremely talkative
> and it may have been the amount of stuff rather than the content which
> was annoying.

Ive always thought Parore is quite funny on the field. And when it
comes back at him he takes it with humour (from what ive seen). Unlike
the martyns and macgraths of this world who go and have a sook!