31 Mar 2007 13:51:58
smooth pockets
D/L method recalculation?

My understanding is that the combinations and permuations of the D/L method
have been based on the history of one day cricket up until the point it was
introduced. Does anyone know if the D/L method is recalculated to reflect
the more modern game? Given the fact we have seen the number of 300+ scores
increase in say the last 4-5 years at an exponetial rate.

31 Mar 2007 14:59:32
JM
Re: D/L method recalculation?

"smooth pockets" <x@x.com > wrote in message
> My understanding is that the combinations and permuations of the D/L
> method have been based on the history of one day cricket up until the
> point it was introduced. Does anyone know if the D/L method is
> recalculated to reflect the more modern game? Given the fact we have seen
> the number of 300+ scores increase in say the last 4-5 years at an
> exponetial rate.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth_Lewis

Not sure how accurate this is, but it does mention that it is regularly
updated - but also says the last update was 2004 :S

I'm sure the mathematics behind the D/L are pretty involved, but you'd
assume with computing power that it would be updated on a regular basis
(i.e. at least every month or so)

31 Mar 2007 15:06:48
MisterE
Re: D/L method recalculation?

"JM" <blah@blah.com > wrote in message

> "smooth pockets" <x@x.com> wrote in message
>> My understanding is that the combinations and permuations of the D/L
>> method have been based on the history of one day cricket up until the
>> point it was introduced. Does anyone know if the D/L method is
>> recalculated to reflect the more modern game? Given the fact we have seen
>> the number of 300+ scores increase in say the last 4-5 years at an
>> exponetial rate.
>>

> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duckworth_Lewis
>

> Not sure how accurate this is, but it does mention that it is regularly
> updated - but also says the last update was 2004 :S
>
> I'm sure the mathematics behind the D/L are pretty involved, but you'd
> assume with computing power that it would be updated on a regular basis
> (i.e. at least every month or so)

The basic published cards aren't updated much, but the computers they use
are constantly updated.