31 Dec 2003 07:59:56
DiiVolunt
Commonwealth U-19 Championship

Hi,

Eight teams will participate in the first edition of the under-19
Commonwealth Cricket Championship, to be organised by the Jawaharlal
Nehru Sports Trust in association with the School Games Federation of
India (SGFI), from December 28 to January 11. A notable omission is
Pakistan who expressed their inability to field a team due to shortage
of time.

Vice-president of the organising committee and former India player
Kirti Azad said chief executive of the Pakistan Cricket Board Rameez
Raja, in a letter, has expressed Pakistan's inability to cobble up a
team due to the prior commitment of their under-19 squad. Pakistan's
absence has helped hosts India field two teams.

The eight teams in the fray are Bangladesh, India and India A, Kenya,
Singapore, South Africa, Sri Lanka and West Indies. The matches will
be of 50 overs a side. India have been placed in group A along with
Kenya, Singapore and West Indies while group B comprises India A,
Bangladesh, South Africa and Sri Lanka.

Former West Indies captain Gary Sobers is the president of the
organising committee and Indian Olympic Association president Suresh
Kalmadi is the patron. India A play their first match against
Bangladesh at the Devi Lal Stadium on December 28 while India play
their first match against Kenya, also at the Devi Lal Stadium, on
January 1.

India A side is mostly younger team with U-15 and U-17 players...
India side is also not representative...The major u-19 players are
playing zonals and the qualifier tournament to select squad for U-19
world cup in February.

The Indian teams are:

Vikram Dhariwal of Haryana will captain the India team with Sumit
Kamboj of Chandigarh as vice-captain. Other members of the team are:
Karan Goel (Punjab), Rahul Parmar (Gujarat), Vipin Chauhan (Punjab),
Akashdeep (Chandigarh), Narendra (Delhi), Asim Gupta (Chandigarh), B.
Laxman Karan (Tamil Nadu), D. Bhishma Choudhry (Andhra Pradesh), N.
Ganesh (Karnataka), Anurag Pandey (Maharashtra), Ashutosh Sharma
(Delhi), Hardiwender (Punjab) and Bharat Sharma (Chandigarh). Sarkar
Talwar will be the coach and Sukhvinder Singh the assistant coach.
Arvinder Mathur is the manager.

The India A team will be led by Omeir Babi of Gujarat and the
vice-captain will be Mayank Sharma of Punjab. The other members of the
team are: Ian Dev (Jammu and Kashmir), Tapan Jain (Delhi), Harpreet
Singh (Chandigarh), Gaurav Chopra (Chandigarh), Gaurav Ghambir
(Chandigarh), Soumik Chaterjee (Delhi), Karan Kherwal (Chandigarh),
Parvesh Chikkara (Delhi), K. Senthil (Tamil Nadu), Kartik Shankar
(Karnataka), Pankaj Ojha (Maharashtra), Luv Sehrawat (Delhi), Vikas
Chauhan (Chandigarh) and Saurabh Arora (Chandigarh). Sanjay Bharadwaj
will be the coach.

Ian Dev and Gaurav Gambhir are 14 year olds for example.

Bangladesh beat India A by eight wickets in a Commonwealth Cricket
Championship match. Uttam Kumar scored an impressive and unbeaten 88
runs for the winners.

India A: 146/9 in 45 overs (Ian Dev 37, Gaurav Gambhir 29no, Tapan
Jain 21, Mehbullah 3/24, Saklain 3/19) Bangladesh: 147/2 in 36.1 overs
(Uttam Kr 88 no, Uttam Sarkar 40, G. Chopra 1/25).

regards
Pranshu B Saxena

31 Dec 2003 15:06:54
Amol Cricketwallah
Re: Commonwealth U-19 Championship

diivolunt@hotmail.com (DiiVolunt) wrote in message news:<bbe332a3.0312310759.ad82d61@posting.google.com >...
> Hi,
>
> Eight teams will participate in the first edition of the under-19
> Commonwealth Cricket Championship, to be organised by the Jawaharlal
> Nehru Sports Trust in association with the School Games Federation of
> India (SGFI), from December 28 to January 11. A notable omission is
> Pakistan who expressed their inability to field a team due to shortage
> of time.

Yes, I saw this a short while ago - but decided to ignore it, since
it looked a quite crappy tournament :-) At that time the article
I read didnt even mention it was not "representative Indian U19
sides", just listed India U19 and India-A u19. And I read both and
found hardly any decent players, no real India U19 players at
all etc. And then realized that an important zonal tournament was
in progress right then for U19s - so they were obviously not playing
this. Sounded like a Suresh Kalmadi sponsored junket thing to me :-)

Now it says its mostly U15 and U17 guys, so I suppose thats different.
Even that is not representative however - Bombay U15 did pretty well
the last 2 years (reached the finals last year and won this year,
as mentioned on rsc a week ago), but has no player in either side.
But thats to be expected as well - Bombay currently has its own
very important school tournaments in progress, which is what most
kids think about all season even more than playing for Bombay U15
or India U15. The Harris Shield is currently at the semi-final
stage. No good kids playing at that level are going to abandon
their school to go off play this kind of junket tournament I would
hope - and they havent. The Giles SHield semis are probably only a
few days away as well.

Sadiq [ U17 knockouts not played yet? ] Yusuf

P.S. For Bombay fans, the 4 teams in the Harris Shield semis are
Shardashram English, IES VN Sule Guruju (last years champs),
Rizvi Springfield and Parle Tilak. All basically powerhouses and
expected names - but for Parle Tilak which is a sort of newish
up-and-coming powerhouse maybe :-)