28 Feb 2007 21:09:49
sdavmor
Barnett and Billcliff put on 177 for the 2nd wicket vs Bangladesh

It's part of the pre-WC tri-series (Bermuda/Bangels/Canada). I believe
this is a Canadian 2nd wicket ODI record. [applause]

Geoff Barnett (*1) was stumped for 79. Ian Billcliff (*2) is still
there on 89 with John Davison (*3) the new batsman. They're chasing
278 needing 93 with 12 overs to go and 8 wickets in hand. Maybe
effectively only 7 wickets in hand since one of the opener's retired hurt.

Boy I'd like to be in the Caribbean right now, feet up, boat-drink in
hand, watching some cricket!

*1, born in NZ, his mum is Canadian.
*2, born in Canada, grew up in NZ.
*3, born in Canada, grew up in Oz.
--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man

01 Mar 2007 12:36:41
Andrew Dunford
Re: Barnett and Billcliff put on 177 for the 2nd wicket vs Bangladesh

"sdavmor" <sdavmor@fakeemailaddy.com > wrote in message
> It's part of the pre-WC tri-series (Bermuda/Bangels/Canada). I believe
> this is a Canadian 2nd wicket ODI record. [applause]
>
> Geoff Barnett (*1) was stumped for 79. Ian Billcliff (*2) is still there
> on 89 with John Davison (*3) the new batsman. They're chasing 278 needing
> 93 with 12 overs to go and 8 wickets in hand. Maybe effectively only 7
> wickets in hand since one of the opener's retired hurt.
>
> Boy I'd like to be in the Caribbean right now, feet up, boat-drink in
> hand, watching some cricket!
>
> *1, born in NZ, his mum is Canadian.
> *2, born in Canada, grew up in NZ.
> *3, born in Canada, grew up in Oz.

Note that Bilcliff's (NZ) parents were on a teaching OE in Canada at the
time of his birth.

Getting back to a point you made elsewhere, I agree there must be
half-decent cricketers in Australasia with some sort of USA lineage, if only
the USA authorities could ferret them out. I seem to know numerous young
adults with one American parent.

Andrew

01 Mar 2007 02:12:07
sdavmor

Andrew Dunford wrote:
> "sdavmor" <sdavmor@fakeemailaddy.com> wrote in message
>> It's part of the pre-WC tri-series (Bermuda/Bangels/Canada). I believe
>> this is a Canadian 2nd wicket ODI record. [applause]
>>
>> Geoff Barnett (*1) was stumped for 79. Ian Billcliff (*2) is still there
>> on 89 with John Davison (*3) the new batsman. They're chasing 278 needing
>> 93 with 12 overs to go and 8 wickets in hand. Maybe effectively only 7
>> wickets in hand since one of the opener's retired hurt.

Canada weren't quite up to the run chase, falling just short despite a
flurry at the end by Mulla, but showed that the investment in the
NZ/Canada connection for Barnett and Billcliff was a smart one.

Bangles 278/5 (Hasan 134*, Ashrafal 60, Bashar 577; Cummins 3/60)
Canada 265/7 (Billcliff 93, Barnett 79, Mulla 44; Razzak 3/51)

Commentary:
<http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/content/story/281950.htmlcolor=#0000FF> >
Scorecard:
<
http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/engine/match/274779.htmlcolor=#0000FF> >

>> Boy I'd like to be in the Caribbean right now, feet up, boat-drink in
>> hand, watching some cricket!
>>
>> *1, born in NZ, his mum is Canadian.
>> *2, born in Canada, grew up in NZ.
>> *3, born in Canada, grew up in Oz.
>
> Note that Bilcliff's (NZ) parents were on a teaching OE in Canada at the
> time of his birth.

I wondered if it was something like that. Otherwise why would Canada
not have gone for Mark Billcliff at the same time before WC2003? He
had some experience with Otago and would (at that time) have been a
step up in class of seamer than that found in Canadian clubs.

> Getting back to a point you made elsewhere, I agree there must be
> half-decent cricketers in Australasia with some sort of USA lineage, if only
> the USA authorities could ferret them out. I seem to know numerous young
> adults with one American parent.

Only half-facetiously I wonder, given the number of ports of call in
cricket playing countries made by the USN, if several reasonably
decent US teams couldn't be fielded. All kidding aside there clearly
is a wide gulf in imaginative thinking towards team construction
between the Canadian and US cricket administrations.

--
Cheers,
SDM -- a 21st century schizoid man
Systems Theory internet music project links:
official site <www.systemstheory.net >
soundclick <www.soundclick.com/systemstheory >
garageband <www.garageband.com/artist/systemstheory >
"Soundtracks For Imaginary Movies" CD released Dec 2004
"Codetalkers" CD coming Nov 2006
NP: nothing

01 Mar 2007 16:02:37

> Andrew Dunford wrote:
>> "sdavmor" <sdavmor@fakeemailaddy.com> wrote in message
>>> It's part of the pre-WC tri-series (Bermuda/Bangels/Canada). I believe
>>> this is a Canadian 2nd wicket ODI record. [applause]
>>>
>>> Geoff Barnett (*1) was stumped for 79. Ian Billcliff (*2) is still there
>>> on 89 with John Davison (*3) the new batsman. They're chasing 278
>>> needing 93 with 12 overs to go and 8 wickets in hand. Maybe effectively
>>> only 7 wickets in hand since one of the opener's retired hurt.
>
> Canada weren't quite up to the run chase, falling just short despite a
> flurry at the end by Mulla, but showed that the investment in the
> NZ/Canada connection for Barnett and Billcliff was a smart one.
>
> Bangles 278/5 (Hasan 134*, Ashrafal 60, Bashar 577; Cummins 3/60)
> Canada 265/7 (Billcliff 93, Barnett 79, Mulla 44; Razzak 3/51)
>
> Commentary:
> <http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/content/story/281950.html>
> Scorecard:
> <http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/engine/match/274779.html>
>
>>> Boy I'd like to be in the Caribbean right now, feet up, boat-drink in
>>> hand, watching some cricket!
>>>
>>> *1, born in NZ, his mum is Canadian.
>>> *2, born in Canada, grew up in NZ.
>>> *3, born in Canada, grew up in Oz.
>>
>> Note that Bilcliff's (NZ) parents were on a teaching OE in Canada at the
>> time of his birth.
>
> I wondered if it was something like that. Otherwise why would Canada
> not have gone for Mark Billcliff at the same time before WC2003? He
> had some experience with Otago and would (at that time) have been a
> step up in class of seamer than that found in Canadian clubs.

As you imply, Mark and other brother Grant were not Canada-qualified.

<snip >

Andrew

01 Mar 2007 20:30:13
sdavmor

Andrew Dunford wrote:
> "sdavmor" <sdavmor@fakeemailaddy.com> wrote in message
>> Andrew Dunford wrote:
>>> "sdavmor" <sdavmor@fakeemailaddy.com> wrote in message

>> Canada weren't quite up to the run chase, falling just short despite a
>> flurry at the end by Mulla, but showed that the investment in the
>> NZ/Canada connection for Barnett and Billcliff was a smart one.
>>
>> Bangles 278/5 (Hasan 134*, Ashrafal 60, Bashar 577; Cummins 3/60)
>> Canada 265/7 (Billcliff 93, Barnett 79, Mulla 44; Razzak 3/51)
>>
>> Commentary:
>> <http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/content/story/281950.html>
>> Scorecard:
>> <http://content-usa.cricinfo.com/triseries-wi/engine/match/274779.html>

>>> Note that Bilcliff's (NZ) parents were on a teaching OE in Canada at the
>>> time of his birth.
>> I wondered if it was something like that. Otherwise why would Canada
>> not have gone for Mark Billcliff at the same time before WC2003? He
>> had some experience with Otago and would (at that time) have been a
>> step up in class of seamer than that found in Canadian clubs.
>
> As you imply, Mark and other brother Grant were not Canada-qualified.
>
> <snip>
>
> Andrew

Exactly. That's what I meant. I didn't know there was a third
Billcliff brother. No cricinfo profile showed up when I looked for
Grant Billcliff.

Ian seems to be in good form: 48 vs Bermuda to see Canada close to the
win, and 93 against a presumably stronger, just about first-choice,
Bangles attack. His form, and that of Barnett, will be important in
keeping Canada competitive with the bat. Or at least stable, since it
was WK Bagai -- who has played very well behind the stumps in the last
12 months [make note of him as a possible for my fantasy team WK] --
who topped Canada's batting in the recent WCL tournament in Kenya with
tons against both Scotland and Ireland.

Looking back over the years at the performance of non-test teams in
the WC (thank you cricinfo), I'm quietly confident that these teams
will acquit themselves decently and show Mr. Holding that he's a
fathead. Except Bermuda, who are by far the most fragile-looking
squad. I think they'll play hard, but will get stuffed without giving
anyone too much trouble. But the other five minnows have enough
players of "almost there" quality to make a real fight of every game.
If they can, then the group rounds could be far more meaningful than
they looked around the time of the ICC Champions Trophy tournament.

I have no sense of where Zimbabwe's squad is, but the Bangles seem to
be becoming a tougher proposition all the time. I hope so. It would be
good if they could turn the corner and make the obvious eight into the
obvious nine. It would be very encouraging for Kenya (knocking on the
door) and then the other top associates to have a sense of what might
be achieved and how long it might take to do it... so they can in turn
become the guy that everyone else bitterly complains about being
allowed to play test cricket, etc.

Extrapolating from there, it would be quite something if in 10 years
time Geoff Barnett and Ashai Bagai walked onto a field (at ages 33 and
35) to open the batting for Canada in its first test match with
players that have started in Canada's high schools this year with
them. They'll have a lot of ICC Intercontinental Cup experience by
then, and maybe some "A" team games as well (if the ICC follows through).

And maybe in my lifetime -- if the USACA gets its thumb out of its bum
-- the USA might get there too, and not be an embarrassment when it
happens. 25 years ago US soccer was non-existent. It's still not very
good, but it's good enough to compete. I'm not holding my breath, but
I am hopeful for the future, when I see Canada (and Bermuda to a
lesser degree) coming on, doing things intelligently.