28 May 2006 14:58:07
tdodge
small revelation

another insight into the game... lately, I've been concentrating
on stroke. I had taped myself, and it looked pretty bad.
After a time, I came to a point where stroke was seperate from aim.
The voice in my head was saying:
"OK, it's aimed...put that part away, and if you stroke properly,
you'll pocket the ball". Yep, just like the voice said,
the ball goes "plunk". With that working, I put ball pocketing out of my
mind..
it was just going to happen. Then I was able to think about the cue ball,
and pay more attention to that. That worked like a charm, too.
This all lasted for 3 straight days! It has slipped
a bit, so I'm back at working on stroke again.
It was wonderous! I know it's there, and I know I can get it back.
I lost only 2 games in that 3 day period, playing against
some pretty good players. It sets a definable goal, too.
Get it back, and keep it. Make it my base level of play.
The seperation of aim and stroke is probably the norm for many players
on RSB, but it was a revelation for me. I actually made
some shots with my eyes shut.
Ya gotta remember, I'm a rookie of less that 3 years expierence.
My advantage over most of the local players is that I'm a serious student.
/now, just where did I leave that stroke?
as soon as I find it again, I may make a special trip
to Ohio for a re-match with Hank!

28 May 2006 09:20:12
Dhakala
Re: small revelation

tdodge wrote:
> another insight into the game... lately, I've been concentrating
> on stroke. I had taped myself, and it looked pretty bad.
> After a time, I came to a point where stroke was seperate from aim.
> The voice in my head was saying:
> "OK, it's aimed...put that part away, and if you stroke properly,
> you'll pocket the ball". Yep, just like the voice said,
> the ball goes "plunk". With that working, I put ball pocketing out of my
> mind..
> it was just going to happen. Then I was able to think about the cue ball,
> and pay more attention to that. That worked like a charm, too.

Um... what did you think about the cue ball, exactly?

> The seperation of aim and stroke is probably the norm for many players
> on RSB, but it was a revelation for me. I actually made
> some shots with my eyes shut.

How very Zen! I know an Asian lady who does the same at times. It
really unnerves her opponents! :-) Closing one's eyes is an excellent
exercise to develop the body control and stillness of a Zen Cueist.

However, unification of one's self with the rest of pool universe
(floor, cue, table, balls, pockets, ambient distractions, etc.) is the
larger objective. Staring lovingly at the point on the object ball that
you are going to hit should be practiced more than blind stroking.

28 May 2006 16:49:14
tdodge
Re: small revelation

"Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com > wrote in message
>> it was just going to happen. Then I was able to think about the cue
>> ball,
>> and pay more attention to that. That worked like a charm, too.
>
> Um... what did you think about the cue ball, exactly?

that it is a very nice cue ball, pretty surface and a nice color.
A friendly cue ball that should go...right over...ummm...there.

28 May 2006 13:02:47
Dhakala
Re: small revelation

tdodge wrote:
> "Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com> wrote in message
> >> it was just going to happen. Then I was able to think about the cue
> >> ball,
> >> and pay more attention to that. That worked like a charm, too.
> >
> > Um... what did you think about the cue ball, exactly?
> >
> that it is a very nice cue ball, pretty surface and a nice color.
> A friendly cue ball that should go...right over...ummm...there.

Very Zen. Always think beneficent, loving thoughts about your balls.
They will reward you.

28 May 2006 22:44:08
tdodge
ratz!

the magic seems to have left.

28 May 2006 19:36:54
Dan White
Re: ratz!

"tdodge" <NOSPAMbluesman@stny.rr.com > wrote in message
> the magic seems to have left.

If it were that easy it wouldn't be worth doing!

dwhite

30 May 2006 15:55:58
Aboo
Re: ratz!

Not to mention boring!

On May 28 2006 6:36 PM, Dan White wrote:

> "tdodge" <NOSPAMbluesman@stny.rr.com> wrote in message
> > the magic seems to have left.
> >

> If it were that easy it wouldn't be worth doing!
>
> dwhite

--------

31 May 2006 03:44:16
Re: small revelation

tdodge wrote:
> another insight into the game... lately, I've been concentrating
> on stroke. I had taped myself, and it looked pretty bad.
> After a time, I came to a point where stroke was seperate from aim.
> The voice in my head was saying:
> "OK, it's aimed...put that part away, and if you stroke properly,
> you'll pocket the ball". Yep, just like the voice said,
> the ball goes "plunk". With that working, I put ball pocketing out of my
> mind..
> it was just going to happen. Then I was able to think about the cue ball,
> and pay more attention to that. That worked like a charm, too.
> This all lasted for 3 straight days! It has slipped
> a bit, so I'm back at working on stroke again.
> It was wonderous! I know it's there, and I know I can get it back.
> I lost only 2 games in that 3 day period, playing against
> some pretty good players. It sets a definable goal, too.
> Get it back, and keep it. Make it my base level of play.
> The seperation of aim and stroke is probably the norm for many players
> on RSB, but it was a revelation for me. I actually made
> some shots with my eyes shut.
> Ya gotta remember, I'm a rookie of less that 3 years expierence.
> My advantage over most of the local players is that I'm a serious student.
> /now, just where did I leave that stroke?
> as soon as I find it again, I may make a special trip
> to Ohio for a re-match with Hank!

Oh shit! I could be in for an ass-whippin'. :-)

I would really enjoy meeting you again. If you get close, contact me.

Hank <~~~been beaten many times by RSB'ers

06 Jun 2006 17:42:45
Ed McCune
Re: small revelation

I'll add that I separate into 3 distinct phases. Aiming (or line
acquisition) which is done while standing. Alignment, which is done
while transitioning from standing to stance. And then stroking which
ignores the pocket completely and is just gliding the tip towards the
appropriate point.

Ed