29 Sep 2004 00:04:07
CrWW
one pocket

This past weekend there was a pro tournament at RI Billiards. On Friday nite
Nick Varner was doing some charity matches but I couldn't get there because of
work. I had planned on playing in the tournament "donating" entry fee of $175
knowing I would probably do a 2 step but might get to play some pro level
talent, but again couldn't get there because of work. I ended up stopping in
Sat nite at 8:30. Joe Tucker was playing a match and I sweated that a bit
while trying to catch a little of the Red Sox game on the TV. An older
gentleman (Tall Man) that I know and play one pocket with was there and came
over to say hi and wanted to know if I wanted to play some one pocket. I said
maybe later. He then said maybe you might want to play some one pocket with
Nick Varner. He brought be over to Nick and introduced me. He told Nick I was
just a beginner and he always beats me 6 to 10 and Nick could give me 5 to 10
and earn a little money. I told him thanks for complement and I hoped that I
was a "little" better than a beginner in one pocket. Anyway we agreed to play
some 25 a game at 5 to 10. I won the flip and made a decent break leaving the
cue ball by the second diamond. I lost the first game at the hill and it went
down from there. Nick got into stroke and was making banks from everywhere.
After about 6 games, it seemed like I was getting worse while Nick was in dead
stroke. By the next game it became more of a teaching game. I would tell Nick
what I was planning to shoot and he would agree or suggest an alternative.
When he was at the table he would tell me what he was thinking about strategy
wise and what he would do or do differently if the score was different. As an
example, on one shot I was going to knock a ball uptable and leave the cue at
the foot spot. Nick said that wasn't aggressive enough and suggested banking
the ball towards my side of table and play two banks leaving him by the first
diamond at head rail. I took his advise and was rewarded with great position
and one more ball on my side of the table. Anyway I ended up playing about 4
hours and donating 250 Jellybeans, but it was worth it. How often can you get
to play and learn with a hall of famer.

Craig in RI willing to step up to the table

28 Sep 2004 19:29:57
Patrick Johnson
Re: one pocket

CrWW wrote:

> ... By the next game it became more of a teaching game. I would tell Nick
> ... I ended up playing about 4 hours and donating 250 Jellybeans, but it was worth it.

For $62.50 an hour I'd let him take my money as long as he felt like
talking, and I could get any number of railbirds to back me so they
could listen.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

30 Sep 2004 16:14:45
Jimbo Ct
Re: one pocket

Craig saz: >while trying to catch a little of the Red Sox game on the TV.

Sorry to hear that.

Craig: > I would tell Nick
>what I was planning to shoot and he would agree or suggest an alternative.

This IMO is the best way to improve, anytime you can get into the mind of a
Master you are going to learn more then any video you ever watch.

Craig: > I ended up playing about 4
>hours and donating 250 Jellybeans, but it was worth it.

More then well worth it, I think you made out great and you can tell the great
grand kids you played a top pro for the cash.

Jim <----Please don't brag about stepping up though, you got 10-5

01 Oct 2004 14:32:14
NH Steve
Re: one pocket

crww@aol.com (CrWW) wrote in message news:<20040928200407.18151.00003867@mb-m03.aol.com >...
<snip > By the next game it became more of a teaching game. I would
tell Nick
> what I was planning to shoot and he would agree or suggest an alternative.
> When he was at the table he would tell me what he was thinking about strategy
> wise and what he would do or do differently if the score was different. As an
> example, on one shot I was going to knock a ball uptable and leave the cue at
> the foot spot. Nick said that wasn't aggressive enough and suggested banking
> the ball towards my side of table and play two banks leaving him by the first
> diamond at head rail. I took his advise and was rewarded with great position
> and one more ball on my side of the table. Anyway I ended up playing about 4
> hours and donating 250 Jellybeans, but it was worth it. How often can you get
> to play and learn with a hall of famer.
>
> Craig in RI willing to step up to the table

Last year at the Derby City Classic, I had a great time watching --
and listening -- while Nick gave about an hour or so One Pocket lesson
to Johnny Archer, starting right from the beginning!

When Danny Diliberto was in Boston a couple of months ago, he had a
lesson no-show and I happened (just happened :-) )to be there so we
played cheap with a little weight -- same thing you are talking about.
What a great way to learn, plus, these guys are so entertaining just
to be around!! Yeah, it cost some money, but it was well worth it...

Steve Booth
http://onepocket.org/ <-- also got a nice interview with Danny D