05 Aug 2004 06:33:58
Sam at TAP
Which is better? Inside Pool or Billiards Digest?

I didn't include Pool and Billiard because I don't think they are even
in the same ballpark with these two magazines anymore. I personally
think IP has come along way and is geared more to the league players
and amatuers. IMO, that is a smart move since that is where the market
is. BD hardly covers the league player unless that league buys ads
with them. But they do have good writers on their staff and they put
out some interesting stories. IP has added some name players as of
late such as Johnny, Alison, Keith, etc. And their issues are bigger
and they cover alot more events across the country and abroad. A good
example of this is their coverage on Valley Forge compared to BD. My
vote goes to the new kid on the block, Inside Pool. Just posted this
for my own curiosity. Any other views on this?

05 Aug 2004 14:06:42
Samiel
Re: Which is better? Inside Pool or Billiards Digest?

I subscribed to Inside Pool, P & B, and Billiard Digest at one time.

Personally, Inside Pool was the only on that "felt" like a magazine.
The pages were a little thicker and it had a lot of content and weight
to it.

As to the articles, I think each one had a little something to add, so
I'm not too sure I could sift one out.

Inside Pool seemed to have a good bit more pictures though...

Right now, I think Inside Pool looks nicer...

YMMV...

- Samiel

05 Aug 2004 10:13:04
Frank Glenn
Re: Which is better? Inside Pool or Billiards Digest?

In article <d25b0c90.0408050533.509623cf@posting.google.com >,
tappool@aol.com says...
:|:My
:|:vote goes to the new kid on the block, Inside Pool. Just posted this
:|:for my own curiosity. Any other views on this?
:|:
:|:

Yes, IP definitely id geared toward the recreational player. I also
like their forum.
Frank
www.frankglenn.com

05 Aug 2004 15:01:24
JAM
Re: Which is better? Inside Pool or Billiards Digest?

I'm familiar with IP, BD, P&B, The National Billiard News, and On the Snap.

Depending on your pool-related interests, each has something to offer (IMO).

Industry members, league players, cue-makers, trick-shot artist fans, snooker
players, and those who follow the tournament trail may find one magazine
"better" than another.

Personally, at this time, I am thoroughly enjoying the OLDER pool publications
and find them a great resource for gaining an understanding about how the sport
of pool has evolved from the '70s through today.

If anybody has any pool publications from the 1970's era, I would be interested
in purchasing them, if I don't already have them.

I have obtained some, but would like to get some more for my ever-increasing
pool library (LOL).

I subscribe to IP, BD, and P&B. I find that IP covers a broader spectrum of
the pool world than the others.

JAM

05 Aug 2004 14:51:30
Ratchet
Re: Which is better? Inside Pool or Billiards Digest?

Inside Pool all the way

Sam at TAP wrote:

>I didn't include Pool and Billiard because I don't think they are even
>in the same ballpark with these two magazines anymore. I personally
>think IP has come along way and is geared more to the league players
>and amatuers. IMO, that is a smart move since that is where the market
>is. BD hardly covers the league player unless that league buys ads
>with them. But they do have good writers on their staff and they put
>out some interesting stories. IP has added some name players as of
>late such as Johnny, Alison, Keith, etc. And their issues are bigger
>and they cover alot more events across the country and abroad. A good
>example of this is their coverage on Valley Forge compared to BD. My
>vote goes to the new kid on the block, Inside Pool. Just posted this
>for my own curiosity. Any other views on this?

05 Aug 2004 20:22:16
lfigueroa
Re: Which is better? Inside Pool or Billiards Digest?

I still like BD best, then IP second. I will not be renewing my
subscription to P&B -- it's all ads and marketing fluff and barely one
decent article per issue.

Lou Figueroa

"Ratchet" <"ratchet"@"removethis"greenapple.com > wrote in message
> Inside Pool all the way
>
> >> Ratchet <<
>
> Sam at TAP wrote:
>
> >I didn't include Pool and Billiard because I don't think they are even
> >in the same ballpark with these two magazines anymore. I personally
> >think IP has come along way and is geared more to the league players
> >and amatuers. IMO, that is a smart move since that is where the market
> >is. BD hardly covers the league player unless that league buys ads
> >with them. But they do have good writers on their staff and they put
> >out some interesting stories. IP has added some name players as of
> >late such as Johnny, Alison, Keith, etc. And their issues are bigger
> >and they cover alot more events across the country and abroad. A good
> >example of this is their coverage on Valley Forge compared to BD. My
> >vote goes to the new kid on the block, Inside Pool. Just posted this
> >for my own curiosity. Any other views on this?

05 Aug 2004 13:36:59
Shane Sinnott

tappool@aol.com (Sam at TAP) wrote in message news:<d25b0c90.0408050533.509623cf@posting.google.com >...
> I didn't include Pool and Billiard because I don't think they are even
> in the same ballpark with these two magazines anymore. I personally
> think IP has come along way and is geared more to the league players
> and amatuers. IMO, that is a smart move since that is where the market
> is. BD hardly covers the league player unless that league buys ads
> with them. But they do have good writers on their staff and they put
> out some interesting stories. IP has added some name players as of
> late such as Johnny, Alison, Keith, etc. And their issues are bigger
> and they cover alot more events across the country and abroad. A good
> example of this is their coverage on Valley Forge compared to BD. My
> vote goes to the new kid on the block, Inside Pool. Just posted this
> for my own curiosity. Any other views on this?

Sam,

I prefer Inside Pool (barely) I think Billiards Digest is a great
magazine, but when you weigh up the points you mentioned, I think IP
wins by a nose.

Regards,

Shane Sinnott

05 Aug 2004 21:04:54
Rufus
Re: Which is better? Inside Pool or Billiards Digest?

I used to suscribe to both Pool and Billiards and Billiards Digest.. I
quit because I could get it faster by buying it at my local Books a
Million. By the time I got the magazine all the tournament info was
too old for me to enter. I'd get my July magazine by the 15-20th of
July... to see tournaments in July or August and most always the entry
date had past. Now days you can find alot more info on the internet
for free. I try to buy the annual cue issue but each year seems less
impressive to me. When I read them I liked the columns by Bob Jewett,
Nick Varner, Mr. Joppling, and a few others. The only real complaints
I had was the late delivery and the new format for the cue edition.

Rufus