30 Sep 2003 08:59:51
Patrick Johnson
WINDY CITY OCCASIONAL: Directions to Chris's Billiards, Chicago

Chris's Billiards
4637 N. Milwaukee Ave.
Chicago
(773) 286-4714

Street parking is easy (and safe) around Chris's. I think they also
have a free parking arrangement with the lot at the auto parts store a
block north (call to confirm that).

FROM THE MIDWEST EXPO/OPEN (AT PHEASANT RUN IN ST. CHARLES):

Here's a link to Pheasant Run's webpage with directions to and from Chicago:

http://www.pheasantrun.com/location/

When you get into Chicago (about a 35 mile drive), IL 290 (the
Eisenhower Expressway) will end at US 90/94 (the Dan Ryan/Kennedy
Expressway near downtown). Take 90/94 "west" (a left turn that will
take you north through Chicago) about 9 miles to Montrose Ave.

Take Montrose Ave. west (a left turn) about 2/3 mile to Milwaukee Ave.

Turn right (north) onto Milwaukee (it's a six-corner intersection;
Milwaukee is the diagonal street) and go five or six blocks to Chris's.

FROM WEST (ST. LOUIS) EAST (INDIANA/OHIO/MICHIGAN) AND SOUTH (JOEY, SMORG?)

Get on US 90/94 (the Dan Ryan/Kennedy Expressway) going "west" (actually
north through Chicago). Continue past the Loop (downtown) about 7 miles
to the Montrose Ave. exit and then follow the directions above for
coming from St. Charles.

FROM NORTH AND NORTHWEST (MILWAUKEE AND MADISON, WI.)

Take US 90 east past O'Hare airport (heading into Chicago) about 5 miles
to the Lawrence Ave. exit.

Turn right (west) onto Lawrence Ave. and go about 1/2 mile to Milwaukee Ave.

Turn left (south) on Milwaukee Ave and go 3 blocks to Chris's.

Let me know if I can be of assistance.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

05 Oct 2003 11:43:35
pltrgyst
Re: WINDY CITY OCCASIONAL: Directions to Chris's Billiards, Chicago

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 08:59:51 -0500, Patrick Johnson
<patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote:

>Chris's Billiards
>4637 N. Milwaukee Ave.
>Chicago
>(773) 286-4714
>
>Street parking is easy (and safe) around Chris's. I think they also
>have a free parking arrangement with the lot at the auto parts store a
>block north (call to confirm that).

FYI, I found it to be a pretty long hike from the CTA stop last year,
with no cabs available. Something like 2.5 - 3 miles, Pat?

-- Larry

05 Oct 2003 16:54:46
JohnA(Kent,WA)

"pltrgyst" <pltrgyst@covad.net > wrote in message

> FYI, I found it to be a pretty long hike from the CTA stop last year,
> with no cabs available. Something like 2.5 - 3 miles, Pat?
>
> -- Larry

No way.

I used to live in Chicago. There is a bus route at least every half mile
within the city. There is a stop every 1/8 mile. Milwaukee is a bus route so
you would be within 1/16th of a mile of the front door(actually not quite
true because Milwaukee Ave is one of the few diagonal streets but you would
still be within 1/8 mile).

If for some reason Milwaukee is no longer a route, Lawrence Ave is the next
major bus line North of Chris's and it would put you within 1/4 mile of the
front door. Montrose is the next major bus line South of Chris's and it
would put you within 3/8ths of a mile of the front door.

Haven't lived in Chicago since 1965 but think they have the best mass
transit system I've ever seen.

How'd I do Pat?

05 Oct 2003 16:58:59
Patrick Johnson
Re: WINDY CITY OCCASIONAL: Directions to Chris's Billiards, Chicago

>>Chris's Billiards
>>4637 N. Milwaukee Ave.
>>Chicago
>>(773) 286-4714
>>
>>Street parking is easy (and safe) around Chris's. I think they also
>>have a free parking arrangement with the lot at the auto parts store a
>>block north (call to confirm that).
>

> FYI, I found it to be a pretty long hike from the CTA stop last year,
> with no cabs available. Something like 2.5 - 3 miles, Pat?

You must have got off at the wrong stop. From the Jefferson Park stop
on the airport train it's about five blocks (a little over 1/2 mile).

Pat Johnson
Chicago

05 Oct 2003 17:00:54
Patrick Johnson

JohnA(Kent,WA) wrote:

> How'd I do Pat?

Just about right. There's still a Milwaukee bus that comes from
downtown and stops within a block of Chris's (maybe right at the door;
I'm not sure).

My comment about the "CTA" stop five blocks away was only for trains (a
quicker way to go).

Pat Johnson
Chicago

07 Oct 2003 15:34:05
Larry
Re: WINDY CITY OCCASIONAL: Directions to Chris's Billiards, Chicago

Patrick Johnson <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote

> You must have got off at the wrong stop. From the Jefferson Park stop
> on the airport train it's about five blocks (a little over 1/2 mile).

Ah, that would explain it. I got off the train at Montrose, since I
didn't know exactly where Chris's was on Milwaukee.

For a Chicago newbie, the bus lines were indecipherable. After on
evening trip via multiple commuter trains to Wheeling (to eat at Le
Francais, in the glory days), we must have been intimidated. 8;)

Thanks -- Larry