29 May 2006 07:21:46
David The Hamster Malone
The best living Cuemaker?

Ok... who is the best cuemaker still living?

ie. forget about those old crappy Palmers and Ballybushwackers, if you
could have someone build you a cue, cost not being a concern, who would
it be?

In Jimbo's case, if it isn't SouthWest, why are you playing with one
when you could be playing with, say, a Ginacue?

David "The impecunious Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 10:32:08
Dan White
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

"David The Hamster Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com > wrote in message
> Ok... who is the best cuemaker still living?
>
> ie. forget about those old crappy Palmers and Ballybushwackers, if you
> could have someone build you a cue, cost not being a concern, who would
> it be?
>
> In Jimbo's case, if it isn't SouthWest, why are you playing with one
> when you could be playing with, say, a Ginacue?

Best playing cue, or best looking, or both?

dwhite

29 May 2006 07:41:14
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Dan White wrote:

> Best playing cue, or best looking, or both?

Um... you'd think that a great cuemaker would be capable of delivering
both. But you have a point, let's break it down into two parts...

1. Best playing cue.

2. Best looking cue.

David "The easy-to-please Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 07:51:08
Dhakala
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

David The Hamster Malone wrote:
> Dan White wrote:
>
> > Best playing cue, or best looking, or both?
>
> Um... you'd think that a great cuemaker would be capable of delivering
> both. But you have a point, let's break it down into two parts...
>
> 1. Best playing cue.
>
> 2. Best looking cue.

I don't think that's necessary. The best lay a man's ever had will
always look best to him, too.

29 May 2006 11:28:01

> Dan White wrote:
>
> > Best playing cue, or best looking, or both?
>
> Um... you'd think that a great cuemaker would be capable of delivering
> both. But you have a point, let's break it down into two parts...
>
> 1. Best playing cue.
>
> 2. Best looking cue.

I don't know if you have to break it down or not. I was just thinking about
the Celtic cue and so on. I have no idea if those cues play worth a damn or
not. But how do you compare it to a "low end" or minimally decorated
Southwest?

dwhite

29 May 2006 08:33:35
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Dan White wrote:

> I don't know if you have to break it down or not. I was just thinking about
> the Celtic cue and so on. I have no idea if those cues play worth a damn or
> not.

I doubt the current owner has either. I'd bet it's never been chalked.
But it is a wonderful looking work of art...

> But how do you compare it to a "low end" or minimally decorated
> Southwest?

Southwests are seriously over rated...

David "The Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 11:36:07

> Dan White wrote:
>
> > I don't know if you have to break it down or not. I was just thinking
about
> > the Celtic cue and so on. I have no idea if those cues play worth a
damn or
> > not.
>
> I doubt the current owner has either. I'd bet it's never been chalked.
> But it is a wonderful looking work of art...
>
> > But how do you compare it to a "low end" or minimally decorated
> > Southwest?
>
> Southwests are seriously over rated...

So do you throw out cues like the Celtic Prince or whatever it is called
because it is really a work of art and not a cue? I'd say if it were never
intended to be used then it isn't really a cue, and might even play like
crap.

dwhite

29 May 2006 08:46:03
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Dan White wrote:

> So do you throw out cues like the Celtic Prince or whatever it is called
> because it is really a work of art and not a cue? I'd say if it were never
> intended to be used then it isn't really a cue, and might even play like
> crap.

The point is - we don't know one way or the other and are never likely
to know. It might play wonderfully as well.

If you were a collector, is it a cue you'd want in your collection
(money no object)? Personally if I had the money I'd take it and
definitely hit some balls with it before putting it on display.... it's
the Mona Lisa of cues.

David "The ever-hopeful Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 08:54:52
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

George Balabushka (not bally whatever ....... how unflattering for a
true craftsman) made me 3 cues in the late 60s / early 70s. They are
nowhere near as fancy as the stuff made today, but the best made and
best playing cue ever. And well built ???? Thousand of hours of play
w/o a tip ever falling off, and I even break 9 ball with it ..... a
$10,000 cue today ......... with no fear it will EVER be
damaged............. who will to do that today with their pro-made cue?

29 May 2006 09:02:15
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

actuar...@aol.com wrote:
> George Balabushka (not bally whatever ....... how unflattering for a
> true craftsman) made me 3 cues in the late 60s / early 70s.

Forgive me... I was making fun of the posters who consistently
mis-spell Balabushka and certainly not the man himself or his cues...

David "The penitent Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 09:07:39
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Dhakala wrote:

> I don't think that's necessary. The best lay a man's ever had will
> always look best to him, too.

Lol... what a charmingly naive statement.... admit it, David... you've
been reading those women's magazines in the doctor's waiting room
again.

David "The man-of-the-world Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 11:54:02
Terry Marlow

> actuar...@aol.com wrote:
>> George Balabushka (not bally whatever ....... how unflattering for a
>> true craftsman) made me 3 cues in the late 60s / early 70s.
>
> Forgive me... I was making fun of the posters who consistently
> mis-spell Balabushka and certainly not the man himself or his cues...
>
> David "The penitent Hamster" Malone

Has anyone heard of a KQ, made by Dave Kikel?

29 May 2006 10:03:11
pltrgyst
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

On 29 May 2006 07:41:14 -0700, "David The Hamster Malone"
<malone@ca.ibm.com > wrote:

>Best looking cue.

I've never played with one, so I have no idea how they hit, and I
generally have little use for most of the fancy-schmancy ornate cues
out there like Ginas, but I absolutely love most of Jerry McWorter's
designs.

>Best playing cue.

For me, a tie between two equally great playing cues: Tim Scruggs for
tradition and sentimentality, and Skip Weston for the integrity of his
materials and methods.

-- Larry

29 May 2006 10:07:49
The Hamster
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

On May 29 2006 12:54 PM, Terry Marlow wrote:

> Has anyone heard of a KQ, made by Dave Kikel?

I believe Mueller's sells them... at least certain models. They look to be
quite well-made, high-end cues... are you nominating Dave Kikel as the
best living cuemaker?

David "The Hamster" Malone

--------

29 May 2006 12:22:23
Terry Marlow
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

"The Hamster" <malone@ca.ibm.com > wrote in message
> On May 29 2006 12:54 PM, Terry Marlow wrote:
>
>> Has anyone heard of a KQ, made by Dave Kikel?
>
> I believe Mueller's sells them... at least certain models. They look to be
> quite well-made, high-end cues... are you nominating Dave Kikel as the
> best living cuemaker?
>
> David "The Hamster" Malone
>
> --------
> : the next generation of web-newsreaders : http://www.recgroups.com

I have a KQ, but can only speak about it. I bought it in 1987 or 88 and in
my
opinion it's a wonderful cue. But I cannot compare it to other custom cues
because I have never shot with any other custom cue.

29 May 2006 10:21:30
The Hamster
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

On May 29 2006 1:03 PM, pltrgyst wrote:

> For me, a tie between two equally great playing cues: Tim Scruggs for
> tradition and sentimentality

This doesn't make sense to me - what on earth do tradition and sentiment
have to do with the 'hit' of a cue?

"Ok... it hits quite well, but it could use a bit more sentimentality..."

David "The cycnical Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 13:17:53
Duane Tuula
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Terry,

Kikel makes a great playing cue with his own unique styling. If you
ever want to move your cue just let me know!

Welcome to RSB.

Duane

29 May 2006 11:58:57
pltrgyst
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

On Mon, 29 May 2006 10:21:30 -0700, "The Hamster" <malone@ca.ibm.com >
wrote:

>On May 29 2006 1:03 PM, pltrgyst wrote:
>
>> For me, a tie between two equally great playing cues: Tim Scruggs for
>> tradition and sentimentality
>
>This doesn't make sense to me - what on earth do tradition and sentiment
>have to do with the 'hit' of a cue?

Nothing, and I didn't mean to say that they did. I'll 'splain:

I said I like two cues equally well for their hit. I can't choose
between these two makers. I favor Scruggs for his long track record
(tradition) and the fact that I've played his cues for a long time
(sentimentality); I favor Weston for his materials integrity and the
fact that he's much younger, and thus is likely to be producing cues
for a long time, with the potential for ever more improvement in his
techniques.

-- Larry

29 May 2006 12:09:24
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

pltrgyst wrote:

> I said I like two cues equally well for their hit.

I don't think you did... but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt
this time. Lol.

> I can't choose
> between these two makers. I favor Scruggs for his long track record
> (tradition) and the fact that I've played his cues for a long time
> (sentimentality); I favor Weston for his materials integrity and the
> fact that he's much younger, and thus is likely to be producing cues
> for a long time, with the potential for ever more improvement in his
> techniques.

Next time we get together can you bring your Weston? I've tried a
Scruggs and it is indeed a solid, nice hitting cue. I'd like to try a
Weston...

David "The under-exposed Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 16:06:09

> Dan White wrote:
>
> > So do you throw out cues like the Celtic Prince or whatever it is called
> > because it is really a work of art and not a cue? I'd say if it were
never
> > intended to be used then it isn't really a cue, and might even play like
> > crap.
>
> The point is - we don't know one way or the other and are never likely
> to know. It might play wonderfully as well.

But if we are discussing the best living cuemaker, we'd have to know how the
cue hits and how well it is constructed. It is possible that another
cuemaker knows about how he selected shaft wood and how he treated it. From
that information you might learn that he didn't care much about how the cue
plays, and only whether he got the best color shaftwood, etc. Actually I
believe the opposite is true in this case as he is considered a great
cuemaker.

However, I have to think that the cues with gold and precious jewels in them
are not made with much thought to weight or distribution.

> If you were a collector, is it a cue you'd want in your collection
> (money no object)? Personally if I had the money I'd take it and
> definitely hit some balls with it before putting it on display.... it's
> the Mona Lisa of cues.

Yes I'd want it, but I'm not sure it would be the best cue in the
collection. It would definitely be the most artistic and difficult to
craft.

dwhite

29 May 2006 23:20:07
Jack Stein
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

actuary81@aol.com wrote:

> And well built ???? Thousand of hours of play
> w/o a tip ever falling off, and I even break 9 ball with it ..... a
> $10,000 cue today ......... with no fear it will EVER be
> damaged............. who will to do that today with their pro-made cue?

I never had a tip come off my $70 cheap ass cue and I broke and played
with it for years. I think if a tip comes off because of a shitty cue,
the cue has to be under what... $10 cue? No tip should ever come off a
cue because of the cue if the cue costs over $50.

29 May 2006 23:33:40
Jack Stein
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

David The Hamster Malone wrote:

> Ok... who is the best cuemaker still living?
>
> ie. forget about those old crappy Palmers and Ballybushwackers, if you
> could have someone build you a cue, cost not being a concern, who would
> it be?

I'd pick Paul Mottey. There are maybe 4 other cue makers in his class
on earth.

Jack

> In Jimbo's case, if it isn't SouthWest, why are you playing with one
> when you could be playing with, say, a Ginacue?
>
> David "The impecunious Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 21:14:37
Dhakala
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Jack Stein wrote:
> actuary81@aol.com wrote:
>
> > And well built ???? Thousand of hours of play
> > w/o a tip ever falling off, and I even break 9 ball with it ..... a
> > $10,000 cue today ......... with no fear it will EVER be
> > damaged............. who will to do that today with their pro-made cue?
>
> I never had a tip come off my $70 cheap ass cue and I broke and played
> with it for years. I think if a tip comes off because of a shitty cue,
> the cue has to be under what... $10 cue? No tip should ever come off a
> cue because of the cue if the cue costs over $50.

I've never had a tip come off in 43 years, no matter what kind of cue I
played with.

Broke a ferrule and its tenon once, on an Adam cue I'd been breaking
and playing with for over 30 years. It was easily fixed.

30 May 2006 00:44:28
JimBoCt
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Dave asks: In Jimbo's case, if it isn't SouthWest, why are you playing
with one
when you could be playing with, say, a Ginacue?

Funny you should ask, it is Ernie, hands down, he is the best living
cuemaker right now and a very close second would be Bill Schick. I'll
say Bill is 1a, and that's no knock. As for why I play with a SW, To me
it just fits my style of play, it feels like an extention of my arm,
not SW cues, just the one I shoot with, I happen to own others that
don't feel the same. And just to make things clear I also own a Gina
and a Schick, my choice to play with the cue I do is based all on the
playability of that 1 cue and doesn't reflect on all SW's.

Jim<-------There is more to a cue then how it plays when talking about
"best living cuemaker"

30 May 2006 00:48:24
JimBoCt
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

DH saz: I don't think that's necessary. The best lay a man's ever had
will
always look best to him, too.

I don't believe this to be a true statement as it relates to this
thread.
Hit is one thing.
Design is another.
Execution.
Fit and finish.
Artistic ability
The list goes on, but when speaking about *THE BEST* the person needs
to be tops in all categories, not just one or two.

Jim <---Has other lists, but best is BEST

30 May 2006 00:50:13
JimBoCt
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Dave saz: I doubt the current owner has either. I'd bet it's never been
chalked.
But it is a wonderful looking work of art...

Not true, I have played with this cue, it can and does play, and the
owner does play with it.

Jim <---------Didn't smash the rail with it

30 May 2006 06:44:40
Jack Stein
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

> Jack Stein wrote:

>>I never had a tip come off my $70 cheap ass cue and I broke and played
>>with it for years. I think if a tip comes off because of a shitty cue,
>>the cue has to be under what... $10 cue? No tip should ever come off a
>>cue because of the cue if the cue costs over $50.
>
> Dhakala wrote:
> I've never had a tip come off in 43 years, no matter what kind of cue I
> played with.

Yes, that makes sense to me. A tip staying on or not is more about the
glue than anything else. How well a cue plays is also pretty much about
the guy using it. Obviously, cues don't feel exactly the same very
often but one mans pleasure is another mans pain, and price or who the
cue maker is has little to do with it.

> Broke a ferrule and its tenon once, on an Adam cue I'd been breaking
> and playing with for over 30 years. It was easily fixed.

Out of curiosity, how did you manage that, with an errant break, normal
useage or a non-pool mishap, like smacking someone with the wrong end of
the cue?

29 May 2006 12:06:18
JoeyA
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Definitely Mike Bender. He precision cuemaking skills are superior to any
other cue maker, IMHO. Mike's wife Tracy Dunham is an accomplished artist
and can add additional beauty to the creation.
JoeyA

"David The Hamster Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com > wrote in message
> Ok... who is the best cuemaker still living?
>
> ie. forget about those old crappy Palmers and Ballybushwackers, if you
> could have someone build you a cue, cost not being a concern, who would
> it be?
>
> In Jimbo's case, if it isn't SouthWest, why are you playing with one
> when you could be playing with, say, a Ginacue?
>
> David "The impecunious Hamster" Malone

30 May 2006 07:01:09
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

JimBoCt wrote:

> Not true, I have played with this cue, it can and does play, and the
> owner does play with it.
>
> Jim <---------Didn't smash the rail with it

I bet you didn't break with it either. Is Thomas Wayne still making
cues? And where would you rate him in your list of greatest living
cuemakers?

So far we have votes for Ernie G., Bender, Schick and a maybe for
Kikel.

David "The Hamster" Malone

30 May 2006 07:26:24
Dhakala
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Jack Stein wrote:

> > Dhakala wrote:
> > I've never had a tip come off in 43 years, no matter what kind of cue I
> > played with.

> > Broke a ferrule and its tenon once, on an Adam cue I'd been breaking
> > and playing with for over 30 years. It was easily fixed.
>
> Out of curiosity, how did you manage that, with an errant break, normal
> useage or a non-pool mishap, like smacking someone with the wrong end of
> the cue?

A break shot. Surprised the hell outta me.

30 May 2006 07:29:31
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

David The Hamster Malone wrote:

> So far we have votes for Ernie G., Bender, Schick and a maybe for
> Kikel.

Opps.. forgot Jacks nomination for Paul Mottey.

David "The forgetful Hamster" Malone

30 May 2006 14:15:30
JimBoCt
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

My top 5 has stayed the same for a while.
1)Ernie
2)Bill
3) TW <---He does things with a cue that NOBODY in the world can do,
some don't hit great, but hit is subjective and I've played with some
very solid works of art from this man. His designs are second to none
when it comes to cues.
4)Bender
5)Mottey <--Even though I hate the design copy aspect of his work.

Jim<------- top 10 may be better then 5, left to many people off :-D

31 May 2006 11:44:12
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

JimBoCt wrote:

> Jim<------- top 10 may be better then 5, left to many people off :-D

Who said anything about a top 5... give us the next 5 or so? What
about people like Jim Buss and Murray Tucker III?

I'm just astonished I don't see Willee or JimboCT on this list (yet). I
imagine you're just too modest...

David "The

01 Jun 2006 04:20:26
Mail Man
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

"Dhakala" wrote:

> Jack Stein wrote:
>
> > > Dhakala wrote:
> > > I've never had a tip come off in 43 years, no matter what kind of cue
> > > played with.
>
> > > Broke a ferrule and its tenon once, on an Adam cue I'd been breaking
> > > and playing with for over 30 years. It was easily fixed.
> >
> > Out of curiosity, how did you manage that, with an errant break, normal
> > useage or a non-pool mishap, like smacking someone with the wrong end of
> > the cue?
>
> A break shot. Surprised the hell outta me.

Doesn't surprise me. This happens more often than you might think. I
"know" the Zen Cueist didn't do this, but it is usually caused over a period
of time where tips are habitually allowed to wear way too thin before they
are replaced. Most guys are too cheap to replace their tips in a timely
fashion until the first time they finally bust their ferrule/tenon and find
out that it costs a bit more to have their "favorite" cue fixed.

Mike Collier
Oak Harbor, WA

01 Jun 2006 07:22:28
David The Hamster Malone
Re: The best living Cuemaker?

Mail Man wrote:
> it is usually caused over a period
> of time where tips are habitually allowed to wear way too thin before they
> are replaced.

Uh-oh... good point. I still haven't replaced my dime-thin Moori on my
playing cue. Not that I break with it anyway, but... Gotta make a date
with myself to do that after my mother-in-law leaves this Sunday.

David "The tardy Hamster" Malone