29 Sep 2003 19:49:49
Devin Hughey
Sound of cue

I had a nice Lucasi that I was very happy with and soon decided I wanted
something a little more special and.

I worked with a cue maker here in So. Cal (David Whitsell) to design and
make a custom cue.

Everything worked out great and I love the cue and I can not find any
problem with the hit.

The only thing that seems different is the sound. It has kind of a "tink"
sound. It is much more firm than my Lucasi, but I like that and I can not
find anything wrong with the tip or ferrule. Is this normal?

Material...
5/16 x 18 joint Phenolic
Malachite rings
Cocobolo forearm
Black Stain Curly Maple wrap area
Banksia pod butt
Phenolic butt cap and rings

Maple shaft with Malachite ring.

Thanks,
Devin




29 Sep 2003 19:54:15
Devin Hughey
Re: Sound of cue

Sorry, the joint is 5/16 x 14, not 18

"Devin Hughey" <yep@nope.maybe > wrote in message
news:x10eb.7676$fh.4174@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com...
> I had a nice Lucasi that I was very happy with and soon decided I wanted
> something a little more special and.
>
> I worked with a cue maker here in So. Cal (David Whitsell) to design and
> make a custom cue.
>
> Everything worked out great and I love the cue and I can not find any
> problem with the hit.
>
> The only thing that seems different is the sound. It has kind of a "tink"
> sound. It is much more firm than my Lucasi, but I like that and I can not
> find anything wrong with the tip or ferrule. Is this normal?
>
> Material...
> 5/16 x 18 joint Phenolic
> Malachite rings
> Cocobolo forearm
> Black Stain Curly Maple wrap area
> Banksia pod butt
> Phenolic butt cap and rings
>
> Maple shaft with Malachite ring.
>
> Thanks,
> Devin
>
>




29 Sep 2003 22:38:06
Mario Blansjaar
Re: Sound of cue

Is the tip installed on your new cue the same as you used to have on
your Lucasi? Because a harder tip makes the cue sound different then
a softer tip.

I also would advice you to consult the cuemaker, if the sound of your
cue is the way as it supposed to be. If it's not, he should take the
proper measures to restore the cue in it's meant condition.


With kind regards,
Mario


On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:49:49 GMT, "Devin Hughey" <yep@nope.maybe >
wrote:

>I had a nice Lucasi that I was very happy with and soon decided I wanted
>something a little more special and.
>
>I worked with a cue maker here in So. Cal (David Whitsell) to design and
>make a custom cue.
>
>Everything worked out great and I love the cue and I can not find any
>problem with the hit.
>
>The only thing that seems different is the sound. It has kind of a "tink"
>sound. It is much more firm than my Lucasi, but I like that and I can not
>find anything wrong with the tip or ferrule. Is this normal?
>
>Material...
>5/16 x 18 joint Phenolic
>Malachite rings
>Cocobolo forearm
>Black Stain Curly Maple wrap area
>Banksia pod butt
>Phenolic butt cap and rings
>
>Maple shaft with Malachite ring.
>
>Thanks,
>Devin
>



29 Sep 2003 21:22:34
rhncue
Re: Sound of cue

The harder the tip usually makes for a harder or metal sounding clink.
Combine that with a hard ferrule like melamine and you will definitely get a
clinking sound. When I was using melamine ferrules and hard w/b tips there
was a clink like two solid metal bars hitting together.
Dick

--
To reply remove 2nd s from dickiecuess
Building fine pool cues for real poolplayers
at affordable prices. Over 35 years experience.
318 Linden st.
Cincinnati, OH 45216 Ph.# (513) 242-1700
website: http://www.dickiecuess.com
"Mario Blansjaar" <m.h.blansjaar@xs4all.nl > wrote in message
news:am5hnvsbtn8n73al5171bvc1v6uffnnkce@4ax.com...
> Is the tip installed on your new cue the same as you used to have on
> your Lucasi? Because a harder tip makes the cue sound different then
> a softer tip.
>
> I also would advice you to consult the cuemaker, if the sound of your
> cue is the way as it supposed to be. If it's not, he should take the
> proper measures to restore the cue in it's meant condition.
>
>
> With kind regards,
> Mario
>
>
> On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:49:49 GMT, "Devin Hughey" <yep@nope.maybe>
> wrote:
>
> >I had a nice Lucasi that I was very happy with and soon decided I wanted
> >something a little more special and.
> >
> >I worked with a cue maker here in So. Cal (David Whitsell) to design and
> >make a custom cue.
> >
> >Everything worked out great and I love the cue and I can not find any
> >problem with the hit.
> >
> >The only thing that seems different is the sound. It has kind of a "tink"
> >sound. It is much more firm than my Lucasi, but I like that and I can not
> >find anything wrong with the tip or ferrule. Is this normal?
> >
> >Material...
> >5/16 x 18 joint Phenolic
> >Malachite rings
> >Cocobolo forearm
> >Black Stain Curly Maple wrap area
> >Banksia pod butt
> >Phenolic butt cap and rings
> >
> >Maple shaft with Malachite ring.
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Devin
> >
>




29 Sep 2003 23:23:53
Mario Blansjaar
Re: Sound of cue

melamine? Is that a brandname or just the name of the material?

Just curious...

With kind regards,
Mario <--- Unfamiliar with the word "melamine"

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 21:22:34 GMT, "rhncue" <dickie@dickiecuess.com >
wrote:

> When I was using melamine ferrules



30 Sep 2003 09:33:09
Mario Blansjaar
Re: Sound of cue

:o)

Thanks for explaining....

Whooaaaa! Aegis1?, Ivorine3?? and Porus??? What the....

Regards,
Mario

On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 02:24:31 GMT, "rhncue" <dickie@dickiecuess.com >
wrote:

>Melamine is a type of material similar to Aegis1. It's very hard and
>somewhat brittle. It's harder than Ivorine 3 but isn't nearly as porus so it
>will stay much cleaner.
> Dick



30 Sep 2003 09:59:56
Mario Blansjaar
Re: Sound of cue

Thanks, Tjander... :o)

With kind regards,
Mario


On Tue, 30 Sep 2003 09:59:18 +0200, Tjander Nathoeni
<t.nathoeni@its.tudelft.nl > wrote:

>Mario Blansjaar wrote:
>> Whooaaaa! Aegis1?, Ivorine3?? and Porus??? What the....
>Yeah.. all material for high(er)-end cue's... except
>Porus, which is synonimous to permeable and not a brand
>or material name.
>
>
>Tjander



30 Sep 2003 11:58:24
Ron Hudson
Re: Sound of cue

On Mon, 29 Sep 2003 19:49:49 GMT, "Devin Hughey" <yep@nope.maybe > wrote:

>The only thing that seems different is the sound. It has kind of a "tink"
>sound. It is much more firm than my Lucasi, but I like that and I can not
>find anything wrong with the tip or ferrule. Is this normal?

For what it's worth, a cue can also make a "tink" sound when it's got an air
pocket under the tip. It may be as simple as removing and re-installing or
changing the tip.

Ron



30 Sep 2003 12:05:29
Jim Buss
Re: Sound of cue

"rhncue" <dickie@dickiecuess.com > wrote in message news:<zP5eb.38431$uJ2.3003@fe3.columbus.rr.com>...
> Melamine is a type of material similar to Aegis1. It's very hard and
> somewhat brittle. It's harder than Ivorine 3 but isn't nearly as porus so it
> will stay much cleaner.
> Dick
>==================
Mellamine was used for dishes in the 60's. Ferrules use linen based
Mellamine, which adds linen fibers to the mellamine for strength.
--JIMBUSS--
http://www.jimbuss.com


01 Oct 2003 04:51:16
Gerry McKown
Re: Sound of cue

lovinlifebilliards@yahoo.com (Player makecue) wrote in message news:<897dcda1.0309300534.5f5a3641@posting.google.com >...
> "Devin Hughey" <yep@nope.maybe> wrote in message news:<x10eb.7676$fh.4174@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com>...

> That tink or ringing sound is a good thing , means your cue is solid
> , well put together !!! That sound and feel is your feedback , how to
> hit a shot. Much better than a thud or clack or soft mushy feel . Your
> cue maker must know his stuff ...



AMEN!....I have spent hours re-tipping, changing shafts, weight bolts,
etc to find that sound in cues I'm thinking of buying. I've always
felt that tink sound whether from a custom or line cue was a sign of a
well constructed piece. Gerry


01 Oct 2003 12:39:17
JohnA(Kent,WA)
Re: Sound of cue


"Gerry McKown" <misnger@peoplepc.com > wrote in message
news:b84f02b8.0310010351.5f83cac8@posting.google.com...
>
> AMEN!....I have spent hours re-tipping, changing shafts, weight bolts,
> etc to find that sound in cues I'm thinking of buying. I've always
> felt that tink sound whether from a custom or line cue was a sign of a
> well constructed piece. Gerry

You must understand the tink you hear is not a flaw but a feature.

Uh,.... Do you really work for Microsoft??<grin >



--
JohnA(Kent,WA)