31 Jul 2004 16:21:34
Place to play in Greensboro, NC

Just moved toGreensboro for awhile, and was wondering if anyone could tell
me where the best halls were to find "action" or to match up against good
players, or to play in good weekly tournies. Checked out a few halls but no
luck so far. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Craig

31 Jul 2004 14:00:53
Bob Johnson
Re: Place to play in Greensboro, NC

Watch out for a local player named "Earl." I hear he's pretty damned good.
Supposedly, he tears up the local golf courses too! ; >)

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bobj@cris.com

<tdgatg@nb.sympatico.ca > wrote in message
> Just moved toGreensboro for awhile, and was wondering if anyone could tell
> me where the best halls were to find "action" or to match up against good
> players, or to play in good weekly tournies. Checked out a few halls but
no
> luck so far. Any help would be appreciated.
>
> Thanks,
> Craig

31 Jul 2004 19:31:58
woody osborne
Re: Place to play in Greensboro, NC

look up b.j. mcgee's; big room some action- 9-ball and one-pocket.
maybe 3 dozen diamonds 8' and 9' good room. there were lots of
players when i was there on a sat. night. maybe a mile away on the
same street is another room, smaller, not as many players. i will try
to get you a name and street address.

> <tdgatg@nb.sympatico.ca> wrote in message
> > Just moved toGreensboro for awhile, and was wondering if anyone could tell
> > me where the best halls were to find "action" or to match up against good
> > players, or to play in good weekly tournies. Checked out a few halls but
> no
> > luck so far. Any help would be appreciated.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > Craig

01 Aug 2004 14:09:19
Ray Fichthorn
Re: Place to play in Greensboro, NC

** Woody- Shooters.. I believe is what you are looking for..

Craig...
I live in Winston-Salem (about 30 mins from G'Boro), and wouldn't mind getting together with you for
a few games. I don't frequent the G'boro places.. so I really can't help you with the current
"action" available.
I belive Earl Strickland has a hand as part-owner of Breaktime Billiards on Battleground ave. I
haven't been there in ages. So I can't tell you what it's like there currently.
BG McGee's is a very clean restaurant/bar billiard hall. Good ventilation. Light action (typically)
but players come and go... I get there ocassionally- because it's alot closer for me to go
there.(west side of G'boro)
Shooters seems to have more action, but the tables weren't as nice the last time I was there (8
months ago). They have a pretty good Que mechanic there for repairs, tips etc..(Dave Burcholtz)
Cue and Spirits in Winston has some very good action players. Paul (the owner), Frank Tullis, and a
few others play for pretty stiff stakes (for me) .. Typically $100/gm+ ..but there are several
$20-$50/gm players

I don't get to play often- maybe once a week.. but if you don't mind "small stakes" games
($5-$10/gm), just to roll them around... I'm game. I'd be good for $50-$100 for an evening...
I like all game types.. but mostly 9-ball around here.

Ray
E-mail me for phone number if interested...