26 Sep 2006 08:37:12
Dhakala
OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Google Groups' "find messages by this author" function says I've posted
5,990 messages in all newsgroups, mainly RSB. And that's only from my
Gmail account!

5,991 now.

I gotta find an Internet addiction therapist.

David Hakala
The Zen Cueist
Denver CO



26 Sep 2006 08:51:59
David The Hamster Malone
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


Dhakala wrote:
> Google Groups' "find messages by this author" function says I've posted
> 5,990 messages in all newsgroups, mainly RSB. And that's only from my
> Gmail account!

So far you're this month's top poster with 126.

> I gotta find an Internet addiction therapist.

Ask FL who he goes to... (and then find someone else).

David "The 2nd-alltime-top-RSB poster Hamster" Malone



26 Sep 2006 09:46:35
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

David The Hamster Malone wrote:

>
> Dhakala wrote:
>> Google Groups' "find messages by this author" function says I've posted
>> 5,990 messages in all newsgroups, mainly RSB. And that's only from my
>> Gmail account!
>
> So far you're this month's top poster with 126.
>
>> I gotta find an Internet addiction therapist.
>
> Ask FL who he goes to... (and then find someone else).
>
> David "The 2nd-alltime-top-RSB poster Hamster" Malone

You guys should really consider using a real newsreader. It makes Usenet so
much more enjoyable, and newsreaders are fun to play with. I can help set you
up with a free one, and also set you up with a free news server. Let me know
if you would like to try this, and I will help you.


26 Sep 2006 09:48:46
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Dhakala wrote:

> Google Groups' "find messages by this author" function says I've posted
> 5,990 messages in all newsgroups, mainly RSB. And that's only from my
> Gmail account!
>

I see 1,852 posts from you since july19 2005
I see 1,832 from the hamster since july 2004


26 Sep 2006 09:59:47
David The Hamster Malone
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


sittingduck wrote:

> You guys should really consider using a real newsreader. It makes Usenet so
> much more enjoyable, and newsreaders are fun to play with. I can help set you
> up with a free one, and also set you up with a free news server. Let me know
> if you would like to try this, and I will help you.

I used Forte Agent for many years, Sheldon. I have my own reasons for
using Google at work...

Thanks for the kind offer, though.

David "The Hamster" Malone



26 Sep 2006 10:25:12
Dhakala
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


sittingduck wrote:

> You guys should really consider using a real newsreader. It makes Usenet so
> much more enjoyable, and newsreaders are fun to play with.

Would that be the Xreader you mentioned months ago, Duck? I tried it,
and the experience left me as confused as a schizophrenic without his
meds. Don't ask how I know what that's like. ;-)

> I can help set you up with a free one, and also set you up with a free news server.
> Let me know if you would like to try this, and I will help you.

OK, maybe I configured the thing wrong, or you have something else in
mind. I have news service via Comcast, but it doesn't include all the
"good" newsgroups, if y'know what I mean. :-) Let's make it happen via
my Gmail account or the Comcast address that I know you have. (I just
sent you mail this morning.)



26 Sep 2006 10:27:26
Dhakala
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


sittingduck wrote:
> Dhakala wrote:
>
> > Google Groups' "find messages by this author" function says I've posted
> > 5,990 messages in all newsgroups, mainly RSB. And that's only from my
> > Gmail account!
> >
>
> I see 1,852 posts from you since july19 2005

You looking at all of Usenet or just RSB?

> I see 1,832 from the hamster since july 2004

He's gaining on me. I'll have to call in Cuddles, my boa constrictor.



26 Sep 2006 10:42:14
David The Hamster Malone
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


Dhakala wrote:

> You looking at all of Usenet or just RSB?

Must be all of Usenet. Google reports you've posted 1630 posts lifetime
to RSB. I've posted 4982... you're way, way behind. Not even in my
rear-view mirror yet...

> He's gaining on me. I'll have to call in Cuddles, my boa constrictor.

Lol... is Cuddles your main squeeze?

David "The Hamster" Malone



26 Sep 2006 11:29:52
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Dhakala wrote:

> OK, maybe I configured the thing wrong, or you have something else in
> mind. I have news service via Comcast, but it doesn't include all the
> "good" newsgroups, if y'know what I mean. :-) Let's make it happen via
> my Gmail account or the Comcast address that I know you have. (I just
> sent you mail this morning.)

http://sitting_duck.home.comcast.net/xnews.zip
grab that zip file, and just extract the Xnews folder to wherever you keep
programs. Put a shortcut to Xnews.exe wherever it will be convenient, and
simply run the program.
I have put in a free server (read only, no posting) as an example. If you
have comcast, you should have access to giganews, (one of the best servers
going, they carry all groups, and have 70 days' retention!) just open the
setup and newsgroups.comcast.net to your servers, using your primary comcast
username and password for authentication.
http://sitting_duck.home.comcast.net/1.jpg
Another nice server is http://motzarella.org/,you can sign up for free, and
they will email you an account. Posting IS allowed.
Go to the identities tab and put in your name, email, etc. Then download
group lists, or add your favorite groups manually. A couple of nice Xnews
help pages:
http://www.geocities.com/d4vidb/
http://www.seegras.de/xnews/

The program is a bit odd at first, but as you learn to use it you will be
amazed at the flexibility and nice features that it offers. Scoring is
probably it's strongest feature, read scoring.txt and sample-score.ini in the
xnews folder for info on how it works.


26 Sep 2006 11:53:13
Dhakala
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


sittingduck wrote:

> The program is a bit odd at first, but as you learn to use it you will be
> amazed at the flexibility and nice features that it offers. Scoring is
> probably it's strongest feature, read scoring.txt and sample-score.ini in the
> xnews folder for info on how it works.

See, now you're talking about "work." That's going to let Hamster
overtake me. ;-)

I'll give it a try. Thanks!



26 Sep 2006 18:09:24
pltrgyst
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

On Tue, 26 Sep 2006 11:29:52 -0700, sittingduck
<you.love.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote:

... If you
>have comcast, you should have access to giganews, (one of the best servers
>going, they carry all groups, and have 70 days' retention!) just open the
>setup and newsgroups.comcast.net to your servers, using your primary comcast
>username and password for authentication.....

That's nice -- when I had Comcast, they ran their own extremely limited news
server. Do you know if the giganews deal is nationwide?

BTW, giganews has a lot more than 70 days retention for text newsgroups. That
was for binaries, which are now going to 90 days. Text groups are 1000+ days.

-- Larry (recently dropped giganews, and went with Forte's news servers, which
are ~1/3 the cost for essentially the same service...)


26 Sep 2006 18:51:18
Dan White
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

"sittingduck" <you.love.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote in message
news:Xns984A63736D88Cduckrulestheuniverse@quakefour.net...
> David The Hamster Malone wrote:
>
> You guys should really consider using a real newsreader. It makes Usenet
so
> much more enjoyable, and newsreaders are fun to play with. I can help set
you
> up with a free one, and also set you up with a free news server. Let me
know
> if you would like to try this, and I will help you.

I just don't get what's all the fuss. Why is OE so bad? Other than some
funny text wrapping, it seems straightforward and easy. I can flag posts
and plonk the occasional joker. What more do you need?

thanks,
dwhite




26 Sep 2006 16:17:27
Dhakala
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


Dan White wrote:

> I just don't get what's all the fuss. Why is OE so bad? Other than some
> funny text wrapping, it seems straightforward and easy. I can flag posts
> and plonk the occasional joker. What more do you need?

The security of obscurity. Nobody writes viruses for X-Reader's
vulnerabilities.



26 Sep 2006 19:52:53
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Dan White wrote:

> I just don't get what's all the fuss. Why is OE so bad? Other than some
> funny text wrapping, it seems straightforward and easy. I can flag posts
> and plonk the occasional joker. What more do you need?

I will put it into a context you can relate to...

OE is a chinese made Ramin wood cue with an aluminum joint. POS, but it
works. You can play pool with it just fine.

Xnews is a full set of custom made cues (playing cue, breaking cue, and jump
cue) plus a Justis case. This setup will let you do whatever you want. Xnews
has dozens of very handy features, I could not imagine going back to OE, or
any other reader for that matter. I've tried a LOT of them too.

The "funny text wrapping" is probably the most annoying thing for people
using real newsreaders. There is a program you can use alongside OE that
fixes it though, it's called quotefix.
http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/


26 Sep 2006 20:05:28
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

pltrgyst wrote:

> That's nice -- when I had Comcast, they ran their own extremely limited
> news server. Do you know if the giganews deal is nationwide?

I'm not sure.... but I think so. http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/
You get 2 gigs a month for free, but you can get around that. If you change
your primary username, your 'counter' resets. With 7 accounts, you could get
14+ gigs.

> BTW, giganews has a lot more than 70 days retention for text newsgroups.
> That was for binaries, which are now going to 90 days. Text groups are
> 1000+ days.

Yeah, it varies a bit depending on the group. Some go back more than 3 years,
some don't. It's actually pretty amazing, some of the binary groups have 30
million headers! Looks like they did bump it up to almost 90 days.



27 Sep 2006 10:35:55
JakartaDean
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

pltrgyst wrote:
>
> -- Larry (recently dropped giganews, and went with Forte's news servers, which
> are ~1/3 the cost for essentially the same service...)
I use Forte also, it's not free at at $2.50 / month, I don't notice.

I use Thunderbird for email and newsgroups, which has the great
advantage of looking like I'm working when I read RSB ;-)

Dean


26 Sep 2006 23:51:36
Dan White
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

"sittingduck" <you.love.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote in message
news:Xns984ACA3E9233Fduckrulestheuniverse@quakefour.net...
> Dan White wrote:
>
> > I just don't get what's all the fuss. Why is OE so bad? Other than
some
> > funny text wrapping, it seems straightforward and easy. I can flag
posts
> > and plonk the occasional joker. What more do you need?
>
> I will put it into a context you can relate to...
>
> OE is a chinese made Ramin wood cue with an aluminum joint. POS, but it
> works. You can play pool with it just fine.
>
> Xnews is a full set of custom made cues (playing cue, breaking cue, and
jump
> cue) plus a Justis case. This setup will let you do whatever you want.
Xnews
> has dozens of very handy features, I could not imagine going back to OE,
or
> any other reader for that matter. I've tried a LOT of them too.
>
> The "funny text wrapping" is probably the most annoying thing for people
> using real newsreaders. There is a program you can use alongside OE that
> fixes it though, it's called quotefix.
> http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/

I've used that. Funny thing is I found that it is more annoying to launch
quotefix everytime I launch OE than it is just to deal with the bad text
wrapping.

thanks,
dwhite




26 Sep 2006 21:56:00
Dhakala
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


Dan White wrote:
> "sittingduck" <you.love.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com> wrote in message
> news:Xns984ACA3E9233Fduckrulestheuniverse@quakefour.net...
> > Dan White wrote:
> >
> > > I just don't get what's all the fuss. Why is OE so bad? Other than
> some
> > > funny text wrapping, it seems straightforward and easy. I can flag
> posts
> > > and plonk the occasional joker. What more do you need?
> >
> > I will put it into a context you can relate to...
> >
> > OE is a chinese made Ramin wood cue with an aluminum joint. POS, but it
> > works. You can play pool with it just fine.
> >
> > Xnews is a full set of custom made cues (playing cue, breaking cue, and
> jump
> > cue) plus a Justis case. This setup will let you do whatever you want.
> Xnews
> > has dozens of very handy features, I could not imagine going back to OE,
> or
> > any other reader for that matter. I've tried a LOT of them too.
> >
> > The "funny text wrapping" is probably the most annoying thing for people
> > using real newsreaders. There is a program you can use alongside OE that
> > fixes it though, it's called quotefix.
> > http://home.in.tum.de/~jain/software/oe-quotefix/
>
> I've used that. Funny thing is I found that it is more annoying to launch
> quotefix everytime I launch OE than it is just to deal with the bad text
> wrapping.

LOL! It's also more annoying to clean & wax a "full set" of cues (can
one's set ever be full?), trim their mushrooms, pick their tips, chalk
them just so, etc. But many people love it. Duck loves tinkering with
newsreaders.



26 Sep 2006 22:57:30
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Dan White wrote:

> I've used that. Funny thing is I found that it is more annoying to launch
> quotefix everytime I launch OE than it is just to deal with the bad text
> wrapping.

That's odd. When I used it, it was just one click to launch OE with quotefix
too. Maybe you were confused as to how it worked.


26 Sep 2006 23:06:44
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Dhakala wrote:

> LOL! It's also more annoying to clean & wax a "full set" of cues (can
> one's set ever be full?), trim their mushrooms, pick their tips, chalk
> them just so, etc. But many people love it. Duck loves tinkering with
> newsreaders.

Computers in general... newsreaders being one aspect. :)
I like playing with software, and figuring out how to get the most out of it.


26 Sep 2006 23:13:58
Dhakala
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!


sittingduck wrote:

> I like playing with software, and figuring out how to get the most out of it.

Yeah, I get that way around lingerie, too. ;-)



27 Sep 2006 05:35:21
SteveE
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Yes, you are.

____________________________________________________
Better to wear out than to rust out.

______________________________________________________________________ 
RecGroups : the community-oriented newsreader : www.recgroups.com




27 Sep 2006 10:02:54
Jack Stein
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Dhakala wrote:

> Google Groups' "find messages by this author" function says I've posted
> 5,990 messages in all newsgroups, mainly RSB. And that's only from my
> Gmail account!
>
> 5,991 now.
>
> I gotta find an Internet addiction therapist.

Don't worry, I looked you up today and you dropped 1721 in less than a
day... Soon you should be postless...


Searched all groups Results 1 - 100 of about 4,270 for
author:Dhakala author:<NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com > (0.54 seconds)


--
Jack
http://jbstein.com


27 Sep 2006 11:00:16
pltrgyst
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

On 26 Sep 2006 23:13:58 -0700, "Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com > wrote:

>sittingduck wrote:
>
>> I like playing with software, and figuring out how to get the most out of it.
>
>Yeah, I get that way around lingerie, too. ;-)

Hope there aren't any cross-dressers hanging around your pool hall...

-- Larry


27 Sep 2006 16:54:13
Dan White
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

"sittingduck" <you.love.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote in message
news:Xns984AE98BD1CC3duckrulestheuniverse@quakefour.net...
> Dan White wrote:
>
> > I've used that. Funny thing is I found that it is more annoying to
launch
> > quotefix everytime I launch OE than it is just to deal with the bad text
> > wrapping.
>
> That's odd. When I used it, it was just one click to launch OE with
quotefix
> too. Maybe you were confused as to how it worked.

It is possible that Quotefix could have been launched along with OE, but if
it were, I didn't know about it. If I recall correctly, quotefix also did
something strange. The colors didn't match up correctly. In other words if
you had C nested within B nested within A, you'd think that you might have
"A wrote in message..." in red along with A's text, then "B wrote in
message..." along with B's text in blue and so on. In my case, the "A wrote
in message..." part didn't match up with A's text color-wise and so on with
B and C.

Don't know if that made sense.
dwhite




27 Sep 2006 14:00:42
sittingduck
Re: OMG! I am a compulsive poster!

Dan White wrote:

> It is possible that Quotefix could have been launched along with OE, but
> if it were, I didn't know about it.

It comes with a shortcut that will launch both.

> If I recall correctly, quotefix
> also did something strange. The colors didn't match up correctly. In
> other words if you had C nested within B nested within A, you'd think
> that you might have "A wrote in message..." in red along with A's text,
> then "B wrote in message..." along with B's text in blue and so on. In
> my case, the "A wrote in message..." part didn't match up with A's text
> color-wise and so on with B and C.

Quotefix colors the different levels of quoting. This makes it easier to tell
who said what when there are several different posters quoted. In many
groups, lots of the posters have no idea how to post and quote properly, so
it ends up being a big mess. I'm not sure what you mean by "match up".


02 Oct 2006 02:36:43
doh ...
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

I use xnews for binary groups, but I find it useless for conversational
groups like RSB.

For example, I want to only load the newest posts, and keep the read posts
visible without
reloading or saving or displaying all 106,970 posts that are in RSB.

The filtering and scoring is complex, and it has font bugs. (font will go
tiny in the middle of a long post)

There are a bunch of other things that make it non-intuitive. For example,
if you filter a group, the posts all
go non threaded and you have to push the right button to go threaded again.

You can't kill based on regular expressions, or at least I haven't figured
out how.

And, when you kill a poster, his posts remain until you reload the group.

It goes on and on. There are probably solutions for half of what I
described, but being an electronic engineer,
programmer, and computer user for 40 years hasn't prepared me for the obtuse
UI that is xnews, I guess.

I use outlook for conversational groups (which sux cause there is no kill)

dohBoy


"sittingduck" <you.love.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote in message
news:Xns984ACC6106C58duckrulestheuniverse@quakefour.net...
> pltrgyst wrote:
>
> > That's nice -- when I had Comcast, they ran their own extremely limited
> > news server. Do you know if the giganews deal is nationwide?
>
> I'm not sure.... but I think so. http://www.comcast.net/newsgroups/
> You get 2 gigs a month for free, but you can get around that. If you
change
> your primary username, your 'counter' resets. With 7 accounts, you could
get
> 14+ gigs.
>
> > BTW, giganews has a lot more than 70 days retention for text newsgroups.
> > That was for binaries, which are now going to 90 days. Text groups are
> > 1000+ days.
>
> Yeah, it varies a bit depending on the group. Some go back more than 3
years,
> some don't. It's actually pretty amazing, some of the binary groups have
30
> million headers! Looks like they did bump it up to almost 90 days.
>




02 Oct 2006 08:45:03
sittingduck
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

doh ... wrote:

> I use xnews for binary groups, but I find it useless for conversational
> groups like RSB.

You should stick to web forums. They are much simpler and will not strain you
with such petty concepts as etiquette.

Xnews is not for everyone, if you are computer illiterate, you will struggle
bigtime with it. If you can grasp basic concepts, Xnews is probably the best
text reader ever conceived.


02 Oct 2006 13:05:53
Donald Tees
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

sittingduck wrote:
> doh ... wrote:
>
>> I use xnews for binary groups, but I find it useless for conversational
>> groups like RSB.
>
> You should stick to web forums. They are much simpler and will not strain you
> with such petty concepts as etiquette.
>
> Xnews is not for everyone, if you are computer illiterate, you will struggle
> bigtime with it. If you can grasp basic concepts, Xnews is probably the best
> text reader ever conceived.

gag. Out of three?

Donald


02 Oct 2006 10:39:25
sittingduck
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

Donald Tees wrote:

>> Xnews is not for everyone, if you are computer illiterate, you will
>> struggle bigtime with it. If you can grasp basic concepts, Xnews is
>> probably the best text reader ever conceived.
>
> gag. Out of three?

This page lists 40 clients, probably a bit short of the actual number.
Probably 3/4 of them were designed with text use in mind.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_clients


02 Oct 2006 17:27:19
Donald Tees
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

sittingduck wrote:
> Donald Tees wrote:
>
>>> Xnews is not for everyone, if you are computer illiterate, you will
>>> struggle bigtime with it. If you can grasp basic concepts, Xnews is
>>> probably the best text reader ever conceived.
>> gag. Out of three?
>
> This page lists 40 clients, probably a bit short of the actual number.
> Probably 3/4 of them were designed with text use in mind.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_news_clients

It doesn't list Xnews as "the best text reader ever conceived".

Donald


02 Oct 2006 15:12:30
sittingduck
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

Donald Tees wrote:

> It doesn't list Xnews as "the best text reader ever conceived".

Nope, that was me. And I still think so.


03 Oct 2006 00:23:27
doh ...
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

Well, you were pushing Xnews soooo hard that I felt compelled to relate my
experience. I'm sorry
(not really) that you see that as a breech of of newgroup "rules" which, of
course, lowly web forums
don't have. I've been doing news since before there was a web.

I learn to use complex electronic design software as a profession (cadence,
mentor, magma, etc). That means learning user interface
philosophy and learning how the tool wants you to accomplish the tasks you
need to accomplish. I think I qualify
as computer literate since I design them and use them daily.

While Xnews is rich, it is poorly organized and there are many basic things
you cannot do. It is also buggy.

Now, with all that, it is my preferred binary reader, which is saying
something. But, that is because it is free and
it handles binary groups OK. But, it crashes (locks up) on really large
binary groups (even with 1.5G ram), but, again, it IS free.

If you can tell me how to solve this 1 scenario, I may agree it is useful
for conversational groups.

Download the entire RSB group. Delete the oldest 3 quarters (or, don't
download it initially). Now, read messages at random. Save the group, and
quit.

Now, reload the group. Have the read messages appear and be indicated as
read messages without having to reload the
1st 3 quarters of the group.

In other words, don't delete read messages, but don't reload deleted
messages.

I'm sincere in what I am saying, and believe you are too, but we see Xnews
differently. I hope that doesn't make us
"enemies".

(And to make matters worse, I'm a top poster) :)

dohBoy

"sittingduck" <you.love.sitting-duck@spamgourmet.com > wrote in message
news:Xns98509AB51EADDduckrulestheuniverse@quakefour.net...
> Donald Tees wrote:
>
> > It doesn't list Xnews as "the best text reader ever conceived".
>
> Nope, that was me. And I still think so.




03 Oct 2006 12:35:17
sittingduck
Re: yeech --- XNEWs

doh ... wrote:

> If you can tell me how to solve this 1 scenario, I may agree it is
> useful for conversational groups.
>
> Download the entire RSB group. Delete the oldest 3 quarters (or, don't
> download it initially). Now, read messages at random. Save the group,
> and quit.
>
> Now, reload the group. Have the read messages appear and be indicated
> as read messages without having to reload the
> 1st 3 quarters of the group.
>
> In other words, don't delete read messages, but don't reload deleted
> messages.
>
> I'm sincere in what I am saying, and believe you are too, but we see
> Xnews differently. I hope that doesn't make us
> "enemies".
>
> (And to make matters worse, I'm a top poster) :)

You are just lazy! Xnews can do what you want it to, but you have to
configure it that way. With storage settings and read message settings, it is
very easily accomplished. If you can't even be bothered to edit your replies,
(#1 reason to top post) forget about it.

Xnews sucks for binaries, there are MUCH better clients for that.