28 Sep 2006 15:07:37
Moori tips

I came across this on the web --

HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MOORI TIP:

A: Continually moisten and “Burnish” the Sides with leather or a
dollar bill,

THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL IN THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.

A $100 dollar bill works better..!!!!

B: Maintain the crown on the tip. Similar to a dime.

C: Refrain from sanding or scuffing the tip. If the tip will not
hold chalk....

wet the top of the tip, let dry and re-apply chalk......MASTERS CUE

CHALK is recommended.

My questions:

How are you supposed to get the tip to a dime shape without sanding or
doing something similar?

Does anyone follow the last suggestion about wetting the tip rather
than sanding or scuffing? If so, how does it work?

Emily

28 Sep 2006 15:36:36
HopsNBarley
Re: Moori tips

emily2@nospam.com wrote:
>I came across this on the web --
>
> HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MOORI TIP:
>
> A: Continually moisten and "Burnish" the Sides with leather or a
> dollar bill,
>
> THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL IN THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.
>
> A $100 dollar bill works better..!!!!

Who wrote this? FL? I don't think you want to burnish the tip, the last
thing you want to do is create any type of friction that may break down the
glue holding the layers together.

> My questions:
>
> How are you supposed to get the tip to a dime shape without sanding or
> doing something similar?

I have never ever had to sand my tip.

> Does anyone follow the last suggestion about wetting the tip rather
> than sanding or scuffing? If so, how does it work?

Just leave it alone, the tip changes to suit your playing style. Do
anything to it will just throw you off when you're playing.

Glenn

28 Sep 2006 18:58:45
Barry
Re: Moori tips

Generally speaking, Moori's hold their shape and hold chaulk with very
little maintenance. After it's installed shape the tip with the curvature
that you want, a dime shape may not suit your style of play. After the
initial break in, several hours of play, you may have to touch it up lightly
with sand paper. But after that, pretty much leave it alone.

After installation, burnishing the sides should not be needed. I would also
not suggest wetting the top of the tip for any reason.

Barry C.
cameroncues.com
<emily2@nospam.com > wrote in message
>I came across this on the web --
>
> HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MOORI TIP:
>
> A: Continually moisten and "Burnish" the Sides with leather or a
> dollar bill,
>
> THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL IN THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.
>
> A $100 dollar bill works better..!!!!
>
> B: Maintain the crown on the tip. Similar to a dime.
>
> C: Refrain from sanding or scuffing the tip. If the tip will not
> hold chalk....
>
> wet the top of the tip, let dry and re-apply chalk......MASTERS CUE
>
> CHALK is recommended.
>
> My questions:
>
> How are you supposed to get the tip to a dime shape without sanding or
> doing something similar?
>
> Does anyone follow the last suggestion about wetting the tip rather
> than sanding or scuffing? If so, how does it work?
>
> Emily

28 Sep 2006 22:54:53
Re: Moori tips

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:36:36 -0400, "HopsNBarley"
<HopsnBarley@ccogeco.ca > wrote:

>emily2@nospam.com wrote:
>>I came across this on the web --
>>
>> HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MOORI TIP:
>>
>> A: Continually moisten and "Burnish" the Sides with leather or a
>> dollar bill,
>>
>> THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL IN THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.
>>
>> A $100 dollar bill works better..!!!!
>
>Who wrote this? FL? I don't think you want to burnish the tip, the last
>thing you want to do is create any type of friction that may break down the
>glue holding the layers together.

I found it at http://www.leatherpocket.com/moori-tips.htm,but FL may
well have written it.

>> My questions:
>>
>> How are you supposed to get the tip to a dime shape without sanding or
>> doing something similar?
>
>I have never ever had to sand my tip.

Did it come with a dime, or even a nickel, shape?

>> Does anyone follow the last suggestion about wetting the tip rather
>> than sanding or scuffing? If so, how does it work?
>
>Just leave it alone, the tip changes to suit your playing style. Do
>anything to it will just throw you off when you're playing.

You've really confused me there. How is the tip going to change to
suit my style? I've had this one for over a year and the only changes
I'm aware of are the ones I've purposely made -- trying to get it to
more of a dime shape.

Emily

28 Sep 2006 23:02:40
HopsNBarley
Re: Moori tips

emily2@nospam.com wrote:
> You've really confused me there. How is the tip going to change to
> suit my style? I've had this one for over a year and the only changes
> I'm aware of are the ones I've purposely made -- trying to get it to
> more of a dime shape.

The tip will adjust to how you play. If you shoot with a lot of English
your tip will become more rounded. If you don't, it will be a bit flatter.
There is no reason to keep your tip round as a dime. Initially the tip is
flat when first installed, it needs to be rounded then that's it really.

Glenn

28 Sep 2006 23:06:56
Re: Moori tips

On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:58:45 -0400, "Barry"
<barry@cameronnospacues.com > wrote:

>Generally speaking, Moori's hold their shape and hold chaulk with very
>little maintenance. After it's installed shape the tip with the curvature
>that you want, a dime shape may not suit your style of play. After the
>initial break in, several hours of play, you may have to touch it up lightly
>with sand paper. But after that, pretty much leave it alone.

What do you use to shape it? My husband had one of those gizmos you
put on the floor and spin the cue stick in like you're trying to build
a fire, but neither side of it seemed to work for me. I finally
decided it was because it have the 11.75 mm tip and the gizmo was
intended for a 13-14 mm. Then someone at league walked off with it
and that was the end of that.

I've used sandpaper but the tip is so hard that method didn't make
much of a dent. The last thing I tried, which actually worked better
than anything, was a piece of this stuff made for sanding drywall mud.
I think I've finally gotten it about as close to shaped as it's ever
going to be. Regrettably, none of the changes so far has improved my
game any. But then, they haven't harmed it any either.

>After installation, burnishing the sides should not be needed. I would also
>not suggest wetting the top of the tip for any reason.

It didn't seem like a very good idea to me either, but I did wonder if
licking the tip before chalking might make your opponent laugh so hard
he'd miss. ;-]

Emily

>Barry C.
>cameroncues.com
><emily2@nospam.com> wrote in message
>>I came across this on the web --
>>
>> HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MOORI TIP:
>>
>> A: Continually moisten and "Burnish" the Sides with leather or a
>> dollar bill,
>>
>> THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL IN THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.
>>
>> A $100 dollar bill works better..!!!!
>>
>> B: Maintain the crown on the tip. Similar to a dime.
>>
>> C: Refrain from sanding or scuffing the tip. If the tip will not
>> hold chalk....
>>
>> wet the top of the tip, let dry and re-apply chalk......MASTERS CUE
>>
>> CHALK is recommended.
>>
>> My questions:
>>
>> How are you supposed to get the tip to a dime shape without sanding or
>> doing something similar?
>>
>> Does anyone follow the last suggestion about wetting the tip rather
>> than sanding or scuffing? If so, how does it work?
>>
>> Emily

28 Sep 2006 20:17:42
sittingduck
Re: Moori tips

wrote:

> What do you use to shape it?

Chalk

28 Sep 2006 20:40:08
Dhakala
Re: Moori tips

HopsNBarley wrote:
> emily2@nospam.com wrote:
> >I came across this on the web --
> >
> > HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MOORI TIP:
> >
> > A: Continually moisten and "Burnish" the Sides with leather or a
> > dollar bill,
> >
> > THIS STEP IS CRUCIAL IN THE BREAK-IN PERIOD.
> >
> > A $100 dollar bill works better..!!!!
>
> Who wrote this? FL? I don't think you want to burnish the tip, the last
> thing you want to do is create any type of friction that may break down the
> glue holding the layers together.

Hand-rubbing with leather or a dollar bill - even a C-note - will not
create enough friction to break down butter.

> > How are you supposed to get the tip to a dime shape without sanding or
> > doing something similar?
>
> I have never ever had to sand my tip.

Glenn, are you trolling this poor boy? Of course you have to grind/sand
the tip initially to get a dime shape. Mooris are flat when new.

> > Does anyone follow the last suggestion about wetting the tip rather
> > than sanding or scuffing? If so, how does it work?

The idea is to wash dirt and oil off the tip so chalk will stick to it
better. Alcohol will do that better than spit or water.

I just prick the tip's surface (maybe 1/64 to 1/32 inch deep) with a
Tip Pik when it gets too smooth and shiny to hold chalk. That opens up
packed surface fibers without removing any. Like aerating your lawn.

28 Sep 2006 20:44:12
Dhakala
Re: Moori tips

emily2@nospam.com wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 15:36:36 -0400, "HopsNBarley"
> <HopsnBarley@ccogeco.ca> wrote:
> >Just leave it alone, the tip changes to suit your playing style. Do
> >anything to it will just throw you off when you're playing.
>
> You've really confused me there. How is the tip going to change to
> suit my style? I've had this one for over a year and the only changes
> I'm aware of are the ones I've purposely made -- trying to get it to
> more of a dime shape.
>
> Emily

Oops... sorry for referring to you as a "boy" in my earlier post,
Emily.

The tip will change in response to repeated striking of cue balls. If
you play mostly center-ball hits, the end of the tip will flatten. If
you play a lot of follow, draw, and/or side English, then the edges of
the tip will get more beatings than the center, and the tip will assume
more of a dome shape. The changes may be very subtle, but they are what
makes a tip "yours".

28 Sep 2006 20:50:50
Dhakala
Re: Moori tips

sittingduck wrote:
> wrote:
>

> > What do you use to shape it?
>
> Chalk

Duck, BE NICE!!! >:(

Emily, take the shaft to a retail billiards shop or a cue repairman and
have the tip shaped on a lathe. I have spent over 90 minutes with one
of those "fire making gizmos" shaping a Moori to a dime dome for the
first time. It's possible, but tough on the arms.

29 Sep 2006 04:18:27
Stephen N.
Re: Moori tips

emily2@nospam.com wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Sep 2006 18:58:45 -0400, "Barry"
> <barry@cameronnospacues.com> wrote:
>

>>Generally speaking, Moori's hold their shape and hold chaulk with very
>>little maintenance. After it's installed shape the tip with the curvature
>>that you want, a dime shape may not suit your style of play. After the
>>initial break in, several hours of play, you may have to touch it up lightly
>>with sand paper. But after that, pretty much leave it alone.
>

> What do you use to shape it? My husband had one of those gizmos you
> put on the floor and spin the cue stick in like you're trying to build
> a fire, but neither side of it seemed to work for me. I finally
> decided it was because it have the 11.75 mm tip and the gizmo was
> intended for a 13-14 mm. Then someone at league walked off with it
> and that was the end of that.

Barry is right on the money. You need to shape your new tip after it is
installed, unless this was done for you. As far as home solutions go,
the easiest shaper to use I have found is the Willard shaper. It comes
in nickel and dime sizes and it is used like the firestarter you have
described. It is basically a small metal bowl lined a very hard
abrasive and it has a cutout on the side to check the tips shape against.

You must use caution when using it with a layered tip though or you
could rip layers off rather than shape them. Use light pressure and
rotate the cue fairly slowly. I think it is easier on the tip if you
rotate in one direction but it may not matter.

Note that the diameter of your tip is not the same thing as it's profile
so you could use a nickel or dime shaper on whatever size tip you use,
withing reason. You probably wouldn't use a nickel shaper on a 8mm tip,
maybe someone out there can comment on that.

In any case, once a decent layered tip has been given it's initial shape
and been played in for a few games, you shouldn't have to do anything
but chalk it after that. It is the opinion of some of the folks here
that your tip will end up shaping itself to your style of play but I
can't say one way or another because my tip seems to keep the dime shape
that I give it when I install it. I don't know if it would become a
dime shape if I initially gave it a nickel shape, but I kinda don't
think so. Dunno...

Incidentally I shape my tips on a lathe, not with a shaper but I have
touched up lots of tips with my Willard. In fact, I often have the
thing on my keychain and use it to shape house cues when I am travelling
around without my own cue(s) and want to play at a local pub. Even a
bent piece of crap will play markedly better with a decent tip, or at
least a decently shaped tip. The Willard is excellent for that and it
can be had for about a sawbuck.

BTW, I use Talisman layered water buffalo tips and I've been happy with
them for the last five or six years.

Stephen Nishio--- > not that they make me shoot much better but I like 'em...

29 Sep 2006 06:23:55
John W. Pierce
Re: Moori tips

"Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com > wrote

> The tip will change in response to repeated striking of cue balls. If
> you play mostly center-ball hits, the end of the tip will flatten. If
> you play a lot of follow, draw, and/or side English, then the edges of
> the tip will get more beatings than the center, and the tip will assume
> more of a dome shape. The changes may be very subtle, but they are what
> makes a tip "yours".

It seems to me that somebody of reasonable repute on this list advocate(s|d)
always turning the cue so that the same side is facing up (away from the
table) on each shot. The argument (I believe) was that this would allow the
tip to deform in a way that "fit" the ball better than if it was positioned
randomly on each shot. I don't know for certain who said this. I believe it
was somebody of the Jewett/Shephard/Page caliber, and definitely not Lou,
Joey A, nor Pat Johnson. (My apologies for not looking up exactly who it
was. I'd normally do that, but the DVD of Crane's 150-and-out against Balsis
got here today, and I really want to go watch it now that my wife's
abandoned the TV for a while.) What I do know is that after about six months
of being very careful to do this, the tip *does* deform asymmetrically.
Whether this helps or hurts anything, I can't tell.

-- jwp

29 Sep 2006 01:13:06
Dhakala
Re: Moori tips

John W. Pierce wrote:
> "Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com> wrote
> >
> > The tip will change in response to repeated striking of cue balls. If
> > you play mostly center-ball hits, the end of the tip will flatten. If
> > you play a lot of follow, draw, and/or side English, then the edges of
> > the tip will get more beatings than the center, and the tip will assume
> > more of a dome shape. The changes may be very subtle, but they are what
> > makes a tip "yours".
>
> It seems to me that somebody of reasonable repute on this list

Couldn't have been me, then! :D

> advocate(s|d)
> always turning the cue so that the same side is facing up (away from the
> table) on each shot. The argument (I believe) was that this would allow the
> tip to deform in a way that "fit" the ball better than if it was positioned
> randomly on each shot.

I think you're talking about the spine of the cue - the direction,
parallel to the wood's grain, in which it is slightly (about 2%, IIRC)
stiffer than in the direction perpendicular to it. Consistent
orientation of the spine (in any direction, really, as long as it's
always the same) results in more consistent deflection and results,
supposedly.

The spine theory is why Meucci puts dots on its shafts, to help players
orient their cues' spines the same way on each shot. It's also one of
the reasons for pie-section laminated shafts like Predators; the
multiple opposing spines of the sections neutralize each other,
creating a shaft with no spine and no need for a dot. Meucci enhances
its dot's marketability by creating flat-laminated shafts, whose spine
is more pronounced than that of natural wood shafts because natural
wood grain is curved. Normal cues have scoliosis! :-O

> What I do know is that after about six months
> of being very careful to do this, the tip *does* deform asymmetrically.

Makes sense. A tip that strikes ONLY the dead center of the CB will
eventually assume a concave profile whose radius is that of the CB. If
the player's stroke repertoire expands to include draw and follow, the
top and bottom edges of the concavity will erode while the left and
right sides of it will not (or will erode less). If left and right
English are added only along the CB's equator, then the left and right
edges will erode, with the greatest erosion at the equator of the tip.

There is an infinite number of points at which a tip can strike a CB,
of course. If every player has a unique and asymmetric distribution of
hits at all points (from 0 to 100% at any given point), then the tip
would assume a unique and asymmetric profile over time.

> Whether this helps or hurts anything, I can't tell.

Feel your head. Does it hurt after this discussion? ;-)

29 Sep 2006 09:43:37
John W. Pierce
Re: Moori tips

"Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com > wrote

> I think you're talking about the spine of the cue....

Nope. It was definitely tip deformation that was being discussed. I'd go
look it up now, but it's too late: not only did the Crane vs Balsis DVD
arrive today, but the DVD of the 2006 DCC one-pocket semifinal and final
also got here, and I watched that, too. With regard to the former, Crane's
play is very interesting and it *really* makes me wish there was film/tape
of Cranfield available. With regard to the latter, Reyes is a mutant alien.

> Feel your head. Does it hurt after this discussion? ;-)

No, I'm always careful to take preventive measures. In this case,
bottle-size measures; specifically, Anchor Steam, Sierra Pale Ale, and
Bridgeport IPA.

-- jwp

29 Sep 2006 08:11:20
HopsNBarley
Re: Moori tips

Dhakala >
> HopsNBarley wrote:
> Glenn, are you trolling this poor boy? Of course you have to grind/sand
> the tip initially to get a dime shape. Mooris are flat when new.

I figured that was common sense and she doesn't appear stupid to me.

> I just prick the tip's surface (maybe 1/64 to 1/32 inch deep) with a
> Tip Pik when it gets too smooth and shiny to hold chalk. That opens up
> packed surface fibers without removing any. Like aerating your lawn.

It's my understanding that it's not good practice to use a tip pik on a
layered tip since it can cause delaminating. I use a Talisman Med. And my
tip never gets shiny. Chalk is course and that alone should wear the tip
down and rough the surface. Unless you have a super hard cheap tip, then by
all means sand away.

Glenn

29 Sep 2006 08:17:05
HopsNBarley
Re: Moori tips

Dhakala wrote:
> Glenn, are you trolling this poor boy? Of course you have to grind/sand
> the tip initially to get a dime shape. Mooris are flat when new.

I also like to mention it said "HOW TO MAINTAIN YOUR MOORI TIP:" Not how to
install your tip.

Glenn

29 Sep 2006 11:30:43
Dhakala
Re: Moori tips

HopsNBarley wrote:

> It's my understanding that it's not good practice to use a tip pik on a
> layered tip since it can cause delaminating.

And washing one's face can cause exfoliation, but it won't cause your
face to fall off. I suppose I could cause serious delamination by
pounding the pik in to its hilt and twisting it with a pipe wrench. But
tapping 1/64 to 1/32" dimples into the top layer will only accelerate
its normal wear slightly.

29 Sep 2006 21:10:04
Bob Jewett
Re: Moori tips

John W. Pierce <jwp@thyrsgeat.org > wrote:

> It seems to me that somebody of reasonable repute on this list
> advocate(s|d) always turning the cue so that the same side is
> facing up (away from the table) on each shot.

I even wrote an article about it that is available on a web site
not far away.

In my experience with a "this side up" mark, the tip stays
relatively symmetrical, but I use more side spin than some.

The point is to allow you to adjust subconsciously for any
asymmetry in the cue stick, such as a hard/soft side or a
left/right dogleg or a spiny/spineless direction of the shaft
grain. Unless the stick is symmetrical in all aspects, allowing
it to be in a random rotation is introducing unknowns into your
game that you don't need.

I don't think it's important which position you choose, but if
the stick has some curvature, let the stick be sway-backed in
your shooting position.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

29 Sep 2006 20:02:21
Barry
Re: Moori tips

<emily2@nospam.com > wrote in message

> What do you use to shape it?

I normally shape mine on one of the lathes and never touch it again except
on rare occassions, I may lightly touch it with some 220 sand paper. I've
played with my current moori for 2 years and never touched it. But, there
again, I haven't played much this past year...LOL

If you already have some curvature on the tip, then I would leave it alone.

Regrettably, none of the changes so far has improved my
> game any.

What you will eventually learn, is that there is no magic in the cue. As
long as the cue is straight, comfortable to you and has a good tip, then
play your heart out. It's all in your own game and not the cue.

Soooo, keep practicing and concentrate on your game.

Story time: I have a customer, that comes over 2 or 3 times a month, always
wanting to change something on his cue. The last few times he was over, I
told him that if he spent as much money on table time as he spent with me,
he would be a pro. Apparently, it hasn't sunk in yet. A few months ago, he
wanted me to engrave a black line in his ferrule to use for aiming. I
sincerely tried to talk him out of it, but he doesn't listen very well. So,
I did what he asked, a week goes by.... he calls, "Barry, I'm still missing
too many balls, are you sure this line is straight?"

Take proper care of your equipment, but have fun playing and learning the
game.

Barry
cameroncues.com

30 Sep 2006 09:52:25
Jack Stein
Re: Moori tips

HopsNBarley wrote:

> Dhakala>
>>I just prick the tip's surface (maybe 1/64 to 1/32 inch deep) with a
>>Tip Pik when it gets too smooth and shiny to hold chalk. That opens up
>>packed surface fibers without removing any. Like aerating your lawn.
>
> It's my understanding that it's not good practice to use a tip pik on a
> layered tip since it can cause delaminating. I use a Talisman Med. And my
> tip never gets shiny. Chalk is course and that alone should wear the tip
> down and rough the surface. Unless you have a super hard cheap tip, then by
> all means sand away.

I use super hard Talisman Pro layered tips and I never touch them with
anything but chalk after initial shaping. They don't mushroom and they
always attain the same shape after long use. I don't agree with those
that think how and where you hit the CB shapes the tip to "your style"
of play. I think the majority of the tip shape comes from how you chalk
your cue. I have recently changed my chalking technique somewhat
because I managed to wear out the ferrule on my old cue with chalk into
an hour glass shape. I decided that was not a good thing so my new cue
I'm much more careful how I chalk, and my tip has managed to stay
flatter than in the past. I shoot about one shot out of a 50 with no
spin. I also use only Silver Cup chalk at home, and I think this chalk
is slightly courser than Masters Chalk, which aids in "scuffing" and
shaping your tip every time you chalk.

BTW, it was Dino Andrews that advised RSBers not to do anything to your
cue tip after initial shaping, and he turned out to be exactly right.
He attributes the tip shape to how you play though, and I think he is
not completely correct on that. I think it was Lou that suggested it
has a lot to do with chalk. Lou was right about that.

---
Jack
http://jbstein.com

30 Sep 2006 10:07:15
Jack Stein
Re: Moori tips

John W. Pierce wrote:

> It seems to me that somebody of reasonable repute on this list advocate(s|d)
> always turning the cue so that the same side is facing up (away from the
> table) on each shot.
> What I do know is that after about six months
> of being very careful to do this, the tip *does* deform asymmetrically.
> Whether this helps or hurts anything, I can't tell.

I find this interesting because I think how you chalk has more to do
with it than how you strike the CB. I have never seen a tip deform
asymmetrically but then I examine very few tips and probably never have
seen one that the guy actually shot with the cue in the same
orientation. I'm not denying what you have experienced, just seems to
me that one would have to also chalk his cue in a very unusual way for
an asymmetrical shape to develop. I know for a fact chalk is very
course and wears away leather tips, including super hard tips with
little effort. Out of curiosity, what chalk do you use? Masters is my
guess.

---
Jack
http://jbstein.com

30 Sep 2006 07:35:08
Dhakala
Re: Moori tips

Bob Jewett wrote:

> I don't think it's important which position you choose, but if
> the stick has some curvature, let the stick be sway-backed in
> your shooting position.

Bob, by "sway-backed in your shooting position" do you mean, with the
point of most pronounced curvature nearest the table's surface, i. e.,

not

^

I wonder how that makes a difference? Either way, your tip is going to
move up and down as the curved portion of the cue passes through a firm
and stationary bridge.

30 Sep 2006 13:06:34
Re: Moori tips

On Fri, 29 Sep 2006 20:02:21 -0400, "Barry"
<barry@cameronnospacues.com > wrote:

><emily2@nospam.com> wrote in message
>
>> What do you use to shape it?
>
>I normally shape mine on one of the lathes and never touch it again except
>on rare occassions, I may lightly touch it with some 220 sand paper. I've
>played with my current moori for 2 years and never touched it. But, there
>again, I haven't played much this past year...LOL
>
>If you already have some curvature on the tip, then I would leave it alone.

I have been trying intermittently to get the elusive dime shape on the
thing, but I get tired of sanding or whatever. It has some curvature,
of course, just not as much as I want.

> Regrettably, none of the changes so far has improved my
>> game any.
>
>What you will eventually learn, is that there is no magic in the cue. As
>long as the cue is straight, comfortable to you and has a good tip, then
>play your heart out. It's all in your own game and not the cue.
>
>Soooo, keep practicing and concentrate on your game.

Oh, I am painfully aware of that. I never expected the stick would
make any difference in my game. I bought the stick because I thought
it was pretty and because it had the smallest tip available without
finding someone who does that sort of thing and having a shaft turned
(or whatever it's called) to a smaller diameter. I was using a
graphite coated cue so having it turned wasn't an option even if I
could find a cue maker locally. Obviously, I am not a big collector
of cue sticks. ;-)

>Story time: I have a customer, that comes over 2 or 3 times a month, always
>wanting to change something on his cue. The last few times he was over, I
>told him that if he spent as much money on table time as he spent with me,
>he would be a pro. Apparently, it hasn't sunk in yet. A few months ago, he
>wanted me to engrave a black line in his ferrule to use for aiming. I
>sincerely tried to talk him out of it, but he doesn't listen very well. So,
>I did what he asked, a week goes by.... he calls, "Barry, I'm still missing
>too many balls, are you sure this line is straight?"

LOL.

>Take proper care of your equipment, but have fun playing and learning the
>game.
>
>Barry

Oh, I do. Fortunately, I even enjoy playing by myself because outside
of league, my husband is my only competition and his playing time is
severely restricted by the demands of his job. And we're taking this
session off from the league. So I spend at least an hour a day
playing myself. An added benefit is that I never lose.

Emily

A day without pool is a day without sunshine
>cameroncues.com

30 Sep 2006 10:41:08
Re: Moori tips, use talisman which are better

I hate to jump into one of these late when 22 bozos have had their say.
When I read all 22 all I see is bad advice sending you to paralysis by
analysis and down wrong paths which is the danger in listening to bozos
who do not know squat. This is the problem with pool chat boards,
bozos teaching pool.

Do not listen to Deno or the 3-c crowd. They see guys like Blomdahl
using a soft tip and letting it mushroom and hang out over the sides of
the ferrule, thinking they get more tip contact, and its then monkey
see monkey do with that crowd. A hard tip will never play into shape.

Putting water on the top of the tip is nuts. Its already hard as hell,
you don't want it harder.

Use a talisman, they are just as good or better than the moori and cost
a lot less. Put on the Talismans that are already crowned and shaped.
You end up with a thinner tip which is what you want. It performs
better than a thick tip. Go inspect Mike Massey's morri and you will
see he keeps it very thin, damn near to the ferrule. If you put on a
Morri it looks like a soup can, it's too thick and requires massive
shaping which can loosen the glue between the layers so the less
sanding and grinding you can do the better. It will be months until it
wears down into the right thickness and then performs correctly.

Once the tip is on I shape it to a dime which will out perform the old
nickel most of the old timers used to play with. I use the new steel
carbide files which do not require sandpaper, last forever and take the
tip down faster. When I shape the new Tailsman XX break tip which is
as hard as they can make on it's a must as sandpaper takes forever with
this one.

Once I think I have it sanded in the right right way filing down at 45
degree strokes and I then take my williards metal dime disk and make
some turns on the tip which grinds me a very even edge around the tip.
I only use a few light turns with this tool. Now and then I will turn
it 2 or 3 times just to set a flat upper edge. Be gentle with it.
Never lay it on the floor and put your tip in it with your feet on both
sides and vigorously twist it like you are trying to start a fire using
two sticks. This is what causes delaminating and they blame it on the
tip when its bozo stupidity. Never use a tip pik with the sharp
daggers as well as they pull the layers apart. You must use the
sandpaper file now and need to take a lesson from a good player on how
its done.

I expectorate, "spit on my index finger and rub it around the sides of
the tip to harden it. When it dries I take a piece of leather that
comes with the carbide file, put it inside it and rub the sides to
further polish and set it. I then take a black sharpie and color the
outside of the tip.

I then draw a red line with a sharpie using a ruler from the tip to the
edge of the ferrule which is the red dot concept forcing me to shoot
using the same place in the wood and tip each time. You now chalk the
tip using only master blue and you are ready to go.

Every now and then I file using my sandpaper files trying to take off
as little leather as possible and to just rough up and loosen the
surface. I carry two, one with 220 and the other with 100 grit. The
carbine file is like 50 grit. I only have the 220 in my case and the
other two are in my tip tool case.

If you are now on a medium tip like a lepro it will take some time and
adjustment. The talismans come in s, m, h, x, xx

The truth is the harder the tip to better the performance, more draw
and power to the follow.
They are all very hard, so the s is real soft hard as hell. The M is
medium hard etc.
If you are now playing with a soft tip, elk master or a medium lepro,
then move up to a triangle single layer with is like the S Talisman, or
begin using the S talisman. Once you have adjusted to it move up to
the M which is what most of the pro 9 ball tour is using and so am I on
that tour. For my artistic shots I have shafts with the H and X when I
perform my power shots in exhibitions. They it does not matter if I
miscue, I get all the attempts I want to. On the pro tour miss two
shots a match against a top player and you usually lose so going above
the M means you get better performance but the chances of miscue rises
where a single flub can cost you a match.

Like it takes you at least a week to learn to play with a new cue or
shaft, same when you move up to the hard layered tips. They deflect
more than the soft tips, why, same reason a very hard ferrule, like
Ivory deflects more than a soft ferrule. You have to play until you
get used to the different hit which is minor but it is there so be
cognizant of this and do not give up on the tip too early. Some people
try them, miss shots, miss cue and bail out and run back to their
lepro. If you commit to stay with this tip good or bad for a full
month, you will never go back to soft again.

For access to the Talisman tips for the best price on the net, or for
any of the others sanders and tip tools mentioned just email me at
fastlarry@bellsouth.net.
Fastlarry @bellsouth.net

www.fastlarrypool.com

www.poolchat.net

01 Oct 2006 09:24:29
Roger Orsulak
Re: Moori tips

"Barry" <barry@cameronnospacues.com > wrote in message

> Story time: I have a customer, that comes over 2 or 3 times a month,
> always wanting to change something on his cue. The last few times he was
> over, I told him that if he spent as much money on table time as he spent
> with me, he would be a pro. Apparently, it hasn't sunk in yet. A few
> months ago, he wanted me to engrave a black line in his ferrule to use for
> aiming. I sincerely tried to talk him out of it, but he doesn't listen
> very well. So, I did what he asked, a week goes by.... he calls, "Barry,
> I'm still missing too many balls, are you sure this line is straight?"
>>
> Barry
> cameroncues.com

THAT, is funny!. I can imagine you chucking up the shaft, and moving the
carriage, using your cutting tool to engrave the line. Probably within a
couple of millionths of straight over the inch or so length of the ferrule.
Uhmmm, you didn't have the motor running, did you?

Roger

01 Oct 2006 07:26:49
Re: Moori tips

Roger Orsulak wrote:
> "Barry" <barry@cameronnospacues.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Story time: I have a customer, that comes over 2 or 3 times a month,
> > always wanting to change something on his cue. The last few times he was
> > over, I told him that if he spent as much money on table time as he spe=
nt
> > with me, he would be a pro. Apparently, it hasn't sunk in yet. A few
> > months ago, he wanted me to engrave a black line in his ferrule to use =
for
> > aiming. I sincerely tried to talk him out of it, but he doesn't listen
> > very well. So, I did what he asked, a week goes by.... he calls, "Bar=
ry,
> > I'm still missing too many balls, are you sure this line is straight?"
> >>
> > Barry
> > cameroncues.com
> >

> THAT, is funny!. I can imagine you chucking up the shaft, and moving the
> carriage, using your cutting tool to engrave the line. Probably within a
> couple of millionths of straight over the inch or so length of the ferrul=
e=2E
> Uhmmm, you didn't have the motor running, did you?
>
> Roger

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((***))))))))=
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Laugh all you want to but that is why there is a sight on a rifle and
not one on a shotgun.
If you want accuracy you need a sight.

You only need two things, a 12" ruler and a red sharpie. I carry both
in my case, the sharpie signs autographs and the ruler measures the
size of pockets so they have a dual purpose. Lay the ruler on the
middle of the shaft and hold it tight, then draw the red line from the
bottom of the tip to the top of the ferrule along the ruler. Piece of
cake laddies and lassies. Even a bozo like smorgie could do this. If
it does not work for you it will wear off in a few weeks or you can
sand it away. I would not have a line cut in my ferrule until you are
totally committed to using this line.

It's the Meucci red dot principle, only you are having a marker easier
to locate. At parade dress when the ferrule is up in my face, I turn
it so the red line is up so when I plant at the table I can see it and
it then only requires a minor adjustment left or right. Read what that
concept is on the Meucci web site, Uncle Bob writes an article on it.

Yes this is another FL invention and I am first to do this. Whimpy
back in the 60's colored his ferrule red for a while and drove everyone
nuts trying to figure out what he was up to.

People of course ask me, what's the red line for and I reply, what red
line, I don't see one?
You get tired of explaining it to rail birds and bozos after a while.

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((***))))))))))))=
)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

FERRULE. THE RED SIGHT LINE ON IT.

3-14-05, Fast Larry Guninger all righs reserved, published in DC, Bpn,
czm, upp, ppt, flp, rsb, btt.

You cannot shoot a rifle with any accuracy with out a sight, you can't
just aim down the barrel like you do a shotgun, and you must aim down
the middle of the barrel. You need a sight to find the exact center of
that barrel.

It's the same with a cue shaft; you are aiming a shotgun, never finding
the exact center of your shaft. You do not have a clue where the
center of your ferrule really is. If you want rifle accuracy then add
a sight. Get a broad felt tip black marker and paint the edge of your
tip black, it shows up much better than the brown dull of your leather.
Get a sharpie red felt tip pin which has a thinner point, like a flair
pen, and run a red line from the bottom of the tip across the ferrule
to the bottom of the ferrule where the wood begins. It is important to
make this line straight, so lay your cue down inside a long rail with
the tip up on the pocket, and lay a ruler along the shaft so you can
draw the line parallel with the center of the shaft. I demonstrate how
to do this on the new DVD on how to shoot trick shots.
Draw the line from the bottom edge of the tip to the top edge of the
ferrule.
Hold the ruler firm so its outer edge lines up in the middle of the
shaft and the line will then draw straight. Use a red or black
sharpie, it makes a thick line and the ink does not run.

On my Meucci shafts I have had the red dot put 5" below the ferrule
instead of down by the joint which I think is a dumb place to put it,
so my ferrule red line is in line with it. Buddy Hall has his red dots
made the same way. The red line if it went far enough would divide the
cue in half.

Standing up when I am seeing and visualizing the shot, I have my
bridge, my hold, and I look to insure the red line is up. When I get
ready to drop on the shot every thing is in place and ready to shoot.
When I plant my hand I try to have that red line up, or I then twirl
the cue so the red line is now on top of the shaft. That insures the
red dot is also up. I now aim that line into the cue ball. This makes
me have a tighter focus and aim and my accuracy of my shots becomes now
much higher. I now do not have to look down my shaft to find this tiny
red dot which is hard to see in a dark pool room. I never want to look
down and away from my cue ball; I want my focus on this.

If you don't like the line, you can always just sand it off. This
concept is not for everyone. It works for some, for others it does
not.

Every shaft has a pure spot, where the grain aligns and shooting with
that proper spot will give you the least deflection.
That is the purpose of the red dot; they measure their shafts, find
that spot and mark it. That concept has been known for over a century.
Snooker cues always came with half of the butt sawed off flat so you
would know where to place your hand and that flat area. Pool and
billiard cues at the turn of the century had the same thing. The
purpose was to have the same part of the shaft up every time. They did
it by looking at the grain. Even if you mark you shaft any place and
don't even find the right spot.
The cue will still play better because you are hitting the same place
every time and the deflection now is the same every time and won't vary
on you as it will when you rotate the shaft on every shot hitting in a
different place.

Does this sound crazy to you, probably, but Luther Lassiter did that on
his ferrule making it red 45 years ago and became the greatest 9 ball
player of all time. Nobody had a clue what he was doing or what he was
up to. He dominated pool and Johnston City during the 60's.

For more information on this alignment of the red dot and the machine
that finds and tests for it go into the Meucci web site at
www.meuccicues.com. Read Bobs articles on this subject.

People are now seeing my still photos on my web site
www.fastlarrypool.com and on my DVD trick shots. They are seeing this
red line and asking what is that thing. Now you know. There is always
a reason to my madness. There is a very fine line that divides genius
and madness. A genius walks on both sides of that line all of his
life.

"All are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called a
philosopher."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
"Talent does what it can; genius does what it must."
- Edward George Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873)
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((***))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))=
))

FAST LARRY POOL. SHOW, CLINCS, WORLD WIDE TOUR PRO PLAYER.

www.fastlarrypool.com best prices in the billiard store, 200 free
articles on how to play in the encyclopedia. www dot fast larry pool
dot com. Enough teachings to fill up 4 full books and it's all for
free. Just log in and enjoy. 2006.

www.poolchat.net Pools best and most polite chat site for upscale
people. No flames, no wars, no bar, no bowling alley, no pin ball,
just pool mister, this is poolchat. www dot pool chat dot net. You
can ask FL questions on how to play or do the same on the main forum
where many top players will share their knowledge and experience with
you. Larry is back writing and putting up new articles and giving away
free pool cues and other equipment in his daily quizzes. Don't miss
the action. He has a list of 20 DVD's that are being given away,
some very rare pool footage and old movies.

www.fastlarrypool.com is Larry's web site where you can book lessons
or a trick shot show. 100 shots, 3 shows for half the price brand X is
charging. 3 times the time, 3 times the show, the shots are even 3
times better.

Check out the new billiards store which has the lowest prices on cues
and tables. Open the Encyclopedia to gain access to over 200
instruction articles for free. POOL LESSONS FROM A GRAND MASTER LEVEL
INSTRUCTOR, BILLIARDS EXPERT, CURRENT TOUR PLAYER AND FORMER ARTISTIC
WORLD CHAMPION. 770-381-6609.

Well over 3,000 successful private lessons have been taught since 1993.
Over 10,000 students taught in clinics all over the world in over 70
countries. Guaranteed satisfaction. You get what you come for or the
lesson is free. Larry says you have to shoot a good stick to teach an
advanced lesson or to tear down a pros game and put it back in shape.
He is known as a high end finisher but he also takes on total
beginners.

Larry plays on six pro pool tours. His tour 9 ball cards are: the UPA,
the men's main 9 ball tour where he ranks 35th in the world in mid
2006. He also plays on the Viking Pro 9 ball tour, Florida 9 ball
tour, SE pro 9 ball tour, the Senior Tour and the APTSA (Artistic Pool
and Trick Shot Association world tour. Larry is also listed on the
tour stats as having one of the highest straight pool runs in history
of 274 balls which is directly behind Ralph Greenleaf's record.
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/straight-pool-high-runs.html
He holds the world record for the high run in rotation, 5 racks, 75
balls. His high run of 9 racks in 9 ball was only done twice on the pro
PBT tour.
His high run in 8 ball is 8 racks. He is regarded as the greatest shot
maker of all time by many hall of famers and world champions. Einstein
said there are 6 million possible shots and Larry has made all 6
million of them. He has made and duplicated every shot ever made on a
table during the last two centuries. He holds 20 world records in the
sport.
Fax 770-381-1916. POOL QUESTIONS ANSWERED AND FREE INSTRUCTION IS ON
www.poolchat.net In the ask the pros forum.
"Fast Larry" Guninger and Wonder Dog, perform trick shot shows and
entertainment world wide.
Email fastlarry@bellsouth.net fast Larry at bell south dot net.
DVD's.http://www.fastlarrypool.com/dvdseries_trickshots1_trailer.htm
May God bless and peace be with you. May there now be peace between us.
If you are a real pool player, then fast truly loves you. May the wind
be always on your back and all 9 balls fall.
VENI VIDI VICI, OMNIA VINCIT AMOR. "Latin for "I came, I saw, I
conquered, love conquerors all. Yes I really did do it all and you can
believe it, or not. If you don't believe it, C'est La Vie. " Shoot
straight, innovate, never give up, just run out on the other guy then
there is no way for you to lose. believe it, or not. If you don't
believe it, C'est La Vie. " "Winners make things happen. Losers let
things happen."Winners NEVER QUIT, QUITTERS NEVER WIN. They say FL can
not play. Then explain why he is on the Upa web site ranked 35th in
the world in mid 2006. All truth passes through three stages. First
it is ridiculed. Second it is violently opposed. Third it is accepted
as being self-evident. - Arthur Schopenhauer (1788
Lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way. Do one of the three
please? Come celebrate the wonder of this beautiful game with me and
become a student of it.
Be my friend, walk my way, flow with what I teach you and you will soar
like the Eagle into levels of excellence you never dreamed possible.
Play by feel, not by systems; do not make a simple game complicated. Go
with what you know, go with what is natural.

"Winners make things happen. Losers let things happen." In the words of
Vince Lombardi, "When it comes to the future, there are three kinds of
people: those who let it happen, those who make it happen, and those
who wonder what happened." Vince said you've got to pay the price.
Winning is not a sometime thing, it's an all the time thing. Winning
is a habit, unfortunately so is losing. Vince Lombardi once said,
"The quality of a person's life is in direct proportion to their
commitment to excellence, regardless of their chosen field of
profession or endeavor. Fast Eddy said about the same thing in the
color of money.
Winning is everything. Winning is the only thing. If you can dream
it, see it, believe it, you can do it and you can be it. You can
perform totally out of the box deep into the Zone, one with the shot,
freewheeling fast and loose with no fear. Then you are a person with
no limits who can achieve anything he can imagine that a human body is
capable of producing. "FL"
Show me a guy who does not mind losing and I will show you a sausage.
Show me a good loser and I will show you a loser. "FL" "Nice
guys finish last" quote from Lou Durocher
"Do, or do not. There is no 'try'." - Yoda
Conquer your fear and you conquer the game, the battle, your life and
your fear of death. There is nothing impossible to him who will try.
Alexander The Great 320 BC.
When you play, repeat over and over, No fear. Just freewheel and let
the good times roll.

It is all about visualization, focus, concentration and playing in the
zone. You just see it, feel it, do it: It does not get any deeper
than this? Play pool with an empty mind. "FL"

"Flow with what ever may happen and let your mind be free: Stay
centered by accepting what ever you are doing and what ever comes your
way."
Chuang-Tzu.

Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Fortune favors the brave. Virgil, Aeneid Roman epic poet (70 BC - 19
BC)

Conquer your fear and you conquer the game, the battle, your life and
your fear of death. There is nothing impossible to him who will try.
Alexander The Great 320 BC.

For a man thinks within himself, so he is." Proverbs 23:7 "I can
do all things through Christ who gives me strength." Philippians
4:13

In order to master pool you must first learn how to master yourself and
your emotions. "For to conquer in battle a thousand men a thousand
times, means you have now conquered yourself and you are now the
greatest of warriors" Dharmapada.

This is a feel game and a mind game. When the mind is pure, pure
perfect pool will follow. Perfect pool comes from being taught how to
practice perfect. Being in dead punch is the ultimate trip and reward
from that. "FL"

Ask and it will be given to you; seek and you will find; knock and the
door will be opened to you.
Rack em sausage, Go play fast and loose. Ride em hard, put em up wet,
leave the ladies smiling. Live free, die well owing no man anything.
May you be in heaven an hour before the devil knows you're dead? In
time, it's all dust in the wind anyway. Don't take your self, or
anything too serious, just be happy and healthy. Laughter good whiskey
and song is the best medicine. If you have a library, a garden, a good
woman and a barrel of Scotch, you have all you need.
Rudolph Wanderone Sr, Minnesota Fats father, told fatty at age 5, a
lucky man lives the sporting life. Never do anything that makes you
unhappy. An unhappy man will not live long. If you are happy, you are
a rich man. If a man has his health, a roof over his head, good food
and friends what else does he need? He is wealthy beyond compare.
Every thing on the earth has a purpose, every disease an herb to cure
it, and every person a mission. You now must learn what you mission is
and fulfill your destiny. Pay your Karma off and be clean for the next
go around.
Aristotle said the main purpose is to survive to recreate. Once that
is accomplished then the main goal in life is to achieve happiness.
The Dali Lama says the main goal in life is to achieve enlightenment.
The 2nd goal is to achieve happiness and you and only you are
responsible for this. Seek it in you and do not expect others to give
it to you. Any thing you wish to do that brings you happiness, or to
others, must be under taken. The question of whether it is profitable
should never be asked. If it loses money, it still must be done. If
you can find a thing to do which brings you happiness and makes you
money you are indeed a lucky person. Your third goal is to find your
soul mate. Seek out a woman you like who makes you happy and who you
like to spend time with. Do not seek out beauty or follow lust as once
that cools, your relationship has been made on sand which soon crumbles
into dust.
Play the best, hustle the rest. Be a locksmith. Never play hew haw,
it will ruin you. It is not how good you play but how good you match
up. If you see a sausage and know you can give him the 7 and the snap
and rob him drunk, do not bet until you sell him to give you the 7 and
the snap. Do this and you never lose and sleep on silk sheets at
night. Just never wise up a chump or give a sucker an even break, W.C.
Fields. Spot, what is that, you never spot nobody nuttin. Spot is
your dog who got run over by a Mack truck. Quote FL.
"When we see clearly, the great teachings are the same."
eighteenth-century Japanese Zen poet Ryokan, All the great teachers
in pool and there are very few, end up teaching the same things.

"No one can earn a million dollars honestly." - William Jennings Bryan
(1860-1925 "Behind every great fortune there is a crime." - Honore de
Balzac (1799-1850) "If women didn't exist, all the money in the
world would have no meaning." - Aristotle Onassis (1906-1975)

All that is certain in life are you are born, you will die, you will
pay taxes and everything you now know and love will change. Change is
the one certainty you must learn to live with and accept in your life.
Do not fight something you have no control over. Gracefully accept
change when it comes. "FL"

Nuttin sticks, everything changes, everyone leaves you. You gotta play
it big while you got it. You gotta be big, hit it big, miss it big,
every thing you do has gotta be big. "Babe Ruth".

Be sure to take the time, to smell the flowers along the way. Life is
a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all of the time
and have the time of your life. Wander in wonder of life and follow La
Vie Dansante. As my grand master said and I quote as a loyal parrot
head, why don't we get drunk and screw? It took me years to learn
how to beat and avoid hangovers, just stay drunk and don't sober up.
Never act your age, stay young forever. FL is 29; he plans to stay 29
forever. His kids are now older than he is and do not understand him
at all. In 7 more years his grand children will be older than him. Fl
says, when you begin to act your age, it's all over for you. The
number one cause of death in old people is retirement and boredom. You
must always have a hobby or a job, a project or a hottie your old lady
does not know about on the side to keep you alive and on earth with a
purpose.
I want to die being totally alive with my boots on. I don't want to
die being brain dead for a decade with my boots off and rotting in a
bed on a pan. I want to die on top of a 19 year old hottie yelling
who's your daddy, Bonsai just as I catch the big one. Use your
imagination on that one. If you gotta go dudes, go out with a bang
hangin 10. Or when I die, I want to die like my father-- who died
peacefully in his sleep with his boots on and not screaming like all
the passengers riding in his Lincoln Town car who were going downhill
on the interstate at 85mph at the time coming down out of the
mountains. Die happy and you lived a good life. Live you life daily
with honor and pride in your actions and you will sleep like a baby.
Always tell the truth and you don't have to remember your lies. Be a
man of honor and integrity.
When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled
with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for
a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way.
Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home. "Quote Indian
Chief Aupumut."
FL say's only the good die young, God allows all pool hustlers to
live till they are 85 so they can suffer. If I knew I was going to
live this long I would have taken better care of my self. I had a damn
good run and more time here than I expected or planned for so if it all
ends tomorrow, no tears, I lived 3 life times in the same span a normal
man lives one. When I die I want to be cremated and my ashes sprinkled
inside a Super Wal-Mart, then I'll know my kids will finally come to
see me twice a week. Actually my ashes will be sprinkled off the far
point of lovers Key in Bonita Springs, Florida.
I have seen it all, done it all, been everywhere, and now can't
remember any of it. I wonder why I spent all that time and money doing
it in the first place. I should have just stayed home. Sometimes I
think I understand everything, then I regain consciousness.
I danced the last Tango in Paris
Took the last chopper out of Saigon
Took the first fast boat to China
And there's still so much to be done
I had a third world girl in Caracas
With a pistol in each hand
She always kept me covered
As we moved from land to land.
I stashed my cash in Cayman land and
Lived to dance and make love.
I had a damn good run on Wall Street
With my high fashion model wife.
I wore out running all over the Americas crashed
And burned three planes.
>From coast to coast. I ran through a lot of good women
And drove them all insane.
I woke up dry beneath the African sky
Just me and my Swiss Army knife. A legend never dies.
Remember the words of the great Emiliano Zapata . . .
it is better to die on your feet, than live on your knees. . .
I am just a simple teacher. All that I now know is that I now know
nothing. I am nothing but a good ball banger who teaches a good lesson
and puts on a good trick shot show that is the only two things I do
well in life. "The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance. It is
the illusion of knowledge."-Stephen Hawking
Aristotle said "Happiness is the meaning and the purpose of life, the
whole aim and end of human existence."
Fast Larry Guninger, real man, real pool player, real American, real
Christian." God bless the land of the free and of the brave. F=E1ilte
Roimh Cheart=FAch=E1in, Go dtuga Dia suaimhneas s=EDora=ED d=F3. Politically
he is John fookin Wayne and just a little to the right of Attila the
Hun. He say, I ain't runnin for gov-nor so you all can take all that
politically correct bull she-yit and stuff it where da sun don't
shine. I tell it like it is. Some of you, can't deal with the real
truth.

Minnesota Fats: Larry's teacher said? "When I played pool I was like
a psychiatrist. I cured 'em of all their daydreams and delusions." "You
don't learn from smart people, you learn from idiots. Watch what they
do, and then don't do it." Learn to be a lock smith. If you should be
giving the 7 and the snap, don't play for money unless you sell the
pigeon he should give you the 7 and the snap. Then you never lose.
Never put heat on your self, pressure is self induced; only you can put
it on, only you can take it off. The toughest player mentally wins when
skills are equal. "Golf is 90% mental and 10% physical." -- Ben Hogan
said "I am the toughest golfer mentally." -- Tiger Woods agrees as do
all the top pool players.
Never be afraid of any top player. They are all human and they all can
be beat. You must come out smoking and put heat on them early. The
bigger they are, the harder they fall. They expect you to play tight
and choke and lose. They do not expect you to attack them with out
mercy. Just freewheel, play fast and loose with no fear.
"There are only two types of players. Those who keep their nerves
under control and win championships and those who do not." Harry
Vardon.
If you can keep your head when all about you
Are losing theirs and blaming it on you,
If you can trust yourself when all men doubt you
But make allowance for their doubting too,
If you can wait and not be tired by waiting,
Or being lied about, don't deal in lies,
Or being hated, don't give way to hating,
And yet don't look too good, nor talk too wise:
If you can dream--and not make dreams your master,
If you can think--and not make thoughts your aim;
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same;
If you can bear to hear the truth you've spoken
Twisted by knaves to make a trap for fools,
Or watch the things you gave your life to, broken,
And stoop and build 'em up with worn-out tools:
If you can make one heap of all your winnings
And risk it all on one turn of pitch-and-toss,
And lose, and start again at your beginnings
And never breath a word about your loss;
If you can force your heart and nerve and sinew
To serve your turn long after they are gone,
And so hold on when there is nothing in you
Except the Will which says to them: "Hold on!"
If you can talk with crowds and keep your virtue,
Or walk with kings--nor lose the common touch,
If neither foes nor loving friends can hurt you;
If all men count with you, but none too much,
If you can fill the unforgiving minute
With sixty seconds' worth of distance run,
Yours is the Earth and everything that's in it,
And--which is more--you'll be a Man, my son!
--Rudyard Kipling
It is not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the
strong man stumbled or where the doer of deeds could have done them
better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena,
whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood, who strives
valiantly, who errs and comes up short again and again, and spends
himself in a worthy cause, who, at the best, knows in the end the
triumph of high achievement and who, at the worst if he fails, at least
fails while doing greatly, so that his place shall never be with those
cold and timid souls called bozos and rail birds who never tee it up
and then, know neither victory or defeat.
Teddy Roosevelt.
Paul Newman, in The Color of Money: "Money won is twice as sweet as
money earned." FL says always have something riding on every match, it
steels the nerves.
W=2E C. Fields: "Trust everyone-and always cut the cards." You can't
con an honest man. Never wise up a sucker or Give a sausage an even
break. Never loan a pool player a penny, but show him where the bank
is and send him there.
Quotes from FL. Exercise is not cracked up to be what it really is.
If God intended for me to be able to touch my toes he would have put my
toes where my knees are now. To prevent sagging when you get old just
eat more and it fills out the wrinkles. The trouble with jogging is the
ice falls out of my scotch glass. If I knew I was going to live this
long I would have taken better care of my self. I am not afraid to
die; I just don't want to be there when it happens. I would rather be
in Philadelphia.

I drink because it makes people more interesting and my wife better
looking. It aint easy being me. I really didn't say everything I
said. I take the 5th on all of it. That's my story and I'm stickin
to it. Don't even think of suing me. My mouthpiece Louie Da Lip
will plead insanity, dementia, Senility, Mental Illness, emotional
disability, cognitive dysfunction, psychological disorders, brain
damage as a child, Alien abduction and RSB long term abuse plus
Alzheimer's disease. I got a bad bottle of Blue Agave and have not
been right since. I will walk in rolling around two steel balls in my
hand like Humphrey Bogart in the Cain Mutiny and No jury will convict
me. Where are me fookin car keys? My memory is not as sharp as it used
to be, my memory is not as sharp as it used to be, my memory is not as
sharp as it used to be. When you get old they say you lose two things,
(1) your memory, (2).... Senior moment, let me get back to you with
that one. I gave up looking for my lost shaker of salt years ago and
thank God for wonder dog who leads me back to my motel room every
night. You always wondered why I ran on the road with that dog
didn't you? So the question is am I nuts? Probably, any body who
plays pool for a living is nuts, and if you play the game as long as I
have you then become nuts.
There is a very fine line that divides genius and madness. A genius
walks on both sides of that line all of his life.

"All of us are lunatics, but he who can analyze his delusion is called
a philosopher."
- Ambrose Bierce (1842-1914)
"Talent does what it can; genius does what it must."
- Edward George Bulwer-Lytton (1803-1873)
I get no respect; tug on tie, that's the entire problem, no respect.
It aint easy bein me.
May peace be with you and me, and all of Gods blessings descend upon
you.
God Bless you and God bless America.
You only go around once so make the most of it while you are here. You
have a long way to go and a short time to get there. Be sure to take
the time to smell the flowers along the way. Keep your head when all
around you are losing theirs. When you lose your head, your ass soon
follows. Hang loose, mello out, and play the game of life like pool,
fast and loose.
"When you are called home and stand in judgment in front of St Peter
and his angles he will not care how many times you won or you lost. He
will only ask you how well did you play your game and how true were you
to it? It is now about how many tin cups you won, but about how many
friends you acquired and how many people you made love you along the
way." FL.
"The longer I play this game the harder it becomes." Bobby Jones
Jr, 1929 just before he won the grand slam, a feat no other player has
been able to duplicate.
"When I first came on tour in my early 20's I played the top
courses in the country and played many of them in the low 60's saying
they are so easy. I came back to play them 20 years later and said I
can't believe how hard they are to make par on." Johnny Miller.
"This is why 9 ball is a young mans game, because they are too stupid
to understand how tough it really is. Fast Larry."
Come chat with Larry live at www.poolchat.net. Do not miss the
Encyclopedia of pool, over 200 instruction articles now up on
www.poolchat.net and it's all free. Come to Atlanta and be video
taped in a 7 million dollar state of the art facility in a private room
with 4 gold crowns with Larry one on one. A full day is only $350
which is only $43 an hr, every one else is charging double or triple
this. It is rated as the top teaching facility in the world.
770-381-6609 puts you on the schedule, or wait for FL to show up as he
is a pro UPA touring player and appears coast to coast and catch him
when he comes in town.
About FL's 20 world records, some try and dispute them, FL's answer
is you have two choice's here, you can believe it, or you can believe
it not, FL does not really give a damn which one you get on because he
knows he did them all and is done fighting any one about them. He
proved every one of them by the Guinness world book of records
standards back in the mid 90's. On each record, a full press
release, with the video tape and signed affidavits of the witnesses
were sent out to over 175 interested parties in the industry. 18 of
his 20 records were set not in a pool hall, but at Georgia Tech
University and filmed by an independent studio, TTN. Nobody had ever
proved any thing as complete and perfect as Larry did.
To him it's now a mute point dude. He goes out to his glory knowing
what he did. He offered to bet any one 10K to 300K he could pass a lie
detector test he did all that he said he did and from 1993 when this
offer hit the streets till today, over a decade and a half and not one
scum bum took the bet. FL put his fortune, where his mouth was and
defending what he did with his life savings. If he was a fraud,
somebody would have called his bluff and became rich. Those who
falsely accused him were backed down by him and exposed as the real
frauds and liars. They were all just jealous punks who were all
exposed as nobodies who only wanted to trash those who were what they
could never be, real pro's who could really play.
A prophet is never recognized or understood in his home land. Jesus
Christ, 30 AD.

The Hustler movie, 1961:
At Finley's mansion SARAH says: Don't wear a mask, Eddie. You don't
have to.(points to Bert) That's Turk, Eddie, the man who broke your
thumbs. Only he's not going to break your thumbs. He'll break your
heart, your guts. And for the same reason -- 'cause he hates you,
'cause of what you are. 'Cause of what you have and he hasn't.
This explains the jealous actions of many people on the pool chat
boards. They can't play, they hate those who can. Later back at the
hotel: In the bathroom mirror we see Bert asleep on his bed. The sheets
are rumpled and tossed about. Then we see Sarah, in her slip, enter the
bathroom and shut the door. She takes out her lipstick and scrawls
across the image of herself in the glass
"Perverted, twisted,crippled." She underlines the word "crippled."
Those 3 words, describes the pool world Fast Larry came up in and
it's his goal in life to help change that image and see a new
generation of pro pool players get respect and finally play for and
earn serious money which they deserve. He want's to see pool become
the great sport it was when he first picked up a cue in the 1940's.
When the top Billiard player had the same respect and the same fame as
all the top athletes in the USA then. Add up the incomes of the world
champion boxer, Dempsey, Tennis star Tilden, Golfer Bobby Jones,
football player Jim Thorpe and baseball legend Babe Ruth and a billiard
player made more than all of them combined, His name was Willie Hoppe.
He was making a million a year in l908 and no pool player since then
has.

01 Oct 2006 07:35:09
Re: Moori tips

Roger Orsulak wrote:
> "Barry" <barry@cameronnospacues.com> wrote in message
> >
> > Story time: I have a customer, that comes over 2 or 3 times a month,
> > always wanting to change something on his cue. The last few times he was
> > over, I told him that if he spent as much money on table time as he spe=
nt
> > with me, he would be a pro. Apparently, it hasn't sunk in yet. A few
> > months ago, he wanted me to engrave a black line in his ferrule to use =
for
> > aiming. I sincerely tried to talk him out of it, but he doesn't listen
> > very well. So, I did what he asked, a week goes by.... he calls, "Bar=
ry,
> > I'm still missing too many balls, are you sure this line is straight?"
> >>
> > Barry
> > cameroncues.com
> >

> THAT, is funny!. I can imagine you chucking up the shaft, and moving the
> carriage, using your cutting tool to engrave the line. Probably within a
> couple of millionths of straight over the inch or so length of the ferrul=
e=2E
> Uhmmm, you didn't have the motor running, did you?
>
> Roger

((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((***))))))))=
))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

Email fastla...@bellsouth.net fast Larry at bell south dot net.
> [...]

across the image of herself in the glass
"Perverted, twisted,crippled." She underlines the word "crippled."
Those 3 words, describes the pool world Fast Larry came up in and
it's his goal in life to help change that image and see a new
generation of pro pool players get respect and finally play for and
earn serious money which they deserve. He want's to see pool become
the great sport it was when he first picked up a cue in the 1940's.
When the top Billiard player had the same respect and the same fame as
all the top athletes in the USA then. Add up the incomes of the world
champion boxer, Dempsey, Tennis star Tilden, Golfer Bobby Jones,
football player Jim Thorpe and baseball legend Babe Ruth and a billiard
player made more than all of them combined, His name was Willie Hoppe.
He was making a million a year in l908 and no pool player since then

01 Oct 2006 12:55:16
Barry
Re: Moori tips

"Roger Orsulak" <normorsulak@cox.net > > THAT, is funny!. I can imagine you
chucking up the shaft, and moving the
> carriage, using your cutting tool to engrave the line. Probably within a
> couple of millionths of straight over the inch or so length of the
> ferrule. Uhmmm, you didn't have the motor running, did you?
>
> Roger

Hi Roger, well, I had it running when he decided to change the ferrule.
LOL, another $25...

Barry

01 Oct 2006 19:05:53
John W. Pierce
Re: Moori tips

"Jack Stein" <jbstein2@comcast.net > wrote
> little effort. Out of curiosity, what chalk do you use? Masters is my
> guess.

Yes, Masters. I've never detected any particular pattern to my chalking with
respect to the orientation of the tip (cue). I hold the cue upright with my
left hand, angle the chalk so that the face is pointed somewhat down to my
right, and stroke the chalk lightly across the tip at an angle that is both
slightly away from me and up. There are four to six strokes each time; it
varies with the amount of coverage each stroke actually gives, and the
evenness of the chalk on the outer part of the face of the tip. This occurs
on [almost] every shot as a part of my pre-shot routine.

I've examined the tip very carefully. The asymmetry is slight, but it does
exist. It appears to be a slight amount of extra compression on the "lower"
or "downward" side (when in shooting position) of the tip. This is somewhat
sensible, though a complete explanation would be lengthy. It has to do with
the ratio of follow shots to all others, which is heavily influenced by
several lengthy drills I shoot regularly. Conceivably, of course, the
asymmetry occurred when the tip was initially installed (six months or so
ago) and has nothing to do with play, and it is only accidentally related to
cue orientation and I just didn't notice it until recently. It'll be
interesting to see if it increases (I wouldn't really expect it to), or if
the same pattern of deformation occurs with the next tip that's installed in
a year or two.

-- jwp

01 Oct 2006 21:50:23
HopsNBarley
Re: Moori tips

Jack Stein
> always attain the same shape after long use. I don't agree with those
> that think how and where you hit the CB shapes the tip to "your style" of
> play. I think the majority of the tip shape comes from how you chalk your
> cue.

That's a good argument. Unfortunately I doubt I could change the way I
chalk for any amount of time to see if it's true. But it does make sense to
me.

Glenn