28 May 2006 11:54:01
JoeyA
Looking of ideas and / or cue graphic for web page

I was just wondering if any of you graphic types might have an idea or a cue
graphic that you would care to contribute (give) to a web site that I am
trying to createfor myself. This is poor man's web site hoping to look like
a cutting edge super cool web site. Just think Katrina. :-) (But please,
no Katrina graphics)

The core theme of the web site will be cues (not the sale of cues) so some
of the graphics need to revolve around pictures of cues or pool sticks
taking action.

1. I have been thinking about using a close-up of the forearm and butt of a
cue stick which would take the place of the traditional vertical column at
the left side of most web pages. The Index of places on the web site would
be written on the stick in a manner that would make it readable. Whatever
graphic is used, I would like the image to be as attractive as it can be
made without impairing the usability of the web site. I am not concerned
about anyone who has dial-up Internet service. They will just have to
suffer with slow download speeds until they upgrade to broadband. My sister
refuses to pay the additional monies for broadband and so she waits and
waits for the web pages to download. :-)

2. I have also been thinking about a moving graphic with some sound for the
opening page where maybe a cue stick breaks open a rack of balls, spreading
the balls then the balls reposition themselves horizontally to form the
spelling of the web site name. The number of letters in the web address is
15 which for the time being will remain anonymous.

3. Also thinking about a cue stick breaking a rack of balls and the balls
explode to form a smoke filled graphic where the website's name would
emerge.

4. Maybe also something more simple like a cue stick moving back and forth
as if in stroking action.

5. Also thought about having a hidden graphic on the web page (not too hard
to find) but when you find it and double click on it, it would bring up a
stunning graphic maybe with sound.

Maybe some of these ideas are too dififcult to create and since I have never
done any of the above I would like your input on that as well.

If any of you are interested in making a contribution, your ideas will be
appreciated and the graphics would be lagniappe. If you have some graphics
that you would like to send, send them via FTP at http://www.yousendit.com
to my email address joey@officespecialties.net. The file cannot be larger
than a 100MB as it is a free service. Sign up is easy and free.
THANKS FOR YOUR INPUT!
JoeyA

28 May 2006 12:59:36
Dhakala
Re: Looking of ideas and / or cue graphic for web page

"The power to create is the power to make ugly." Jack Rickard,
publisher of Boardwatch magazine, upon his first encounter with HTML in
1995.

> This is poor man's web site hoping to look like
> a cutting edge super cool web site.

I avoid "cutting edge super cool" web sites like I avoid techno
industrial metal hip-hop dance clubs, for the same reasons.

> 1. I have been thinking about using a close-up of the forearm and butt of a
> cue stick which would take the place of the traditional vertical column at
> the left side of most web pages. The Index of places on the web site would
> be written on the stick in a manner that would make it readable.

No, it won't. What's readable to you won't be readable to me or anyone
else who doesn't have the same monitor set to the same contrast,
brightness, tint, etc. Put the index on a plain white or sky blue
background, in black type.

> I am not concerned
> about anyone who has dial-up Internet service.

Fine, but you ought to be concerned about your own bandwidth bill, or
the monthly downloaded-bytes limit that your flat-rate Web host
imposes.

> 2. I have also been thinking about a moving graphic with some sound for the
> opening page where maybe a cue stick breaks open a rack of balls, spreading
> the balls then the balls reposition themselves horizontally to form the
> spelling of the web site name. The number of letters in the web address is
> 15 which for the time being will remain anonymous.
>
> 3. Also thinking about a cue stick breaking a rack of balls and the balls
> explode to form a smoke filled graphic where the website's name would
> emerge.

To quote The Eagles, "I'm already gone." You're talking like a kid with
his first MySpace.com page. I do not want noisy things moving around
while I'm trying to read and figure out where I am and where I might
want to go.

> 4. Maybe also something more simple like a cue stick moving back and forth
> as if in stroking action.

A little better. Sex always sells.

> 5. Also thought about having a hidden graphic on the web page (not too hard
> to find) but when you find it and double click on it, it would bring up a
> stunning graphic maybe with sound.

<GROAN! >

> Maybe some of these ideas are too dififcult to create

One can only hope so, but generally it's easier to make ugly than
elegant.

Before you commit these crimes, Joey, please spend some time learning
about Web site usability:

http://www.useit.com/

29 May 2006 15:23:04
pltrgyst
Re: Looking of ideas and / or cue graphic for web page

On 28 May 2006 12:59:36 -0700, "Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com >
wrote:

>"The power to create is the power to make ugly." Jack Rickard,
>publisher of Boardwatch magazine, upon his first encounter with HTML in
>1995.

Are you sure that quote didn't come from the Jack Rickard who worked
at Mad Magazine?

Maybe he was looking at a page of ridiculously ornate pool cues when
he said it.

Or browsing the book of Genesis.

But, Joey, David makes a number of excellent points. Many of us leave
a Web site the instant we see the first Flash appear.

-- Larry

28 May 2006 15:31:15

pltrgyst wrote:
> On 28 May 2006 12:59:36 -0700, "Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >"The power to create is the power to make ugly." Jack Rickard,
> >publisher of Boardwatch magazine, upon his first encounter with HTML in
> >1995.
>
> Are you sure that quote didn't come from the Jack Rickard who worked
> at Mad Magazine?

Yep. I was there when Jack (real first name: Marion) said it.

29 May 2006 16:10:44
pltrgyst
Re: Looking of ideas and / or cue graphic for web page

On 28 May 2006 15:31:15 -0700, "Dhakala" <NoPoliticalCalls@gmail.com >
wrote:

>Yep. I was there when Jack (real first name: Marion) said it.

Ah-hah! The John Wayne of the on-line world!

-- Larry

29 May 2006 12:20:30
JakartaDean

JoeyA wrote:
> I was just wondering if any of you graphic types might have an idea or a cue
> graphic that you would care to contribute (give) to a web site that I am
> trying to createfor myself. This is poor man's web site hoping to look like
> a cutting edge super cool web site. Just think Katrina. :-) (But please,
> no Katrina graphics)

On a related note, I would be interesting in seeing other folks'
pool-related web sites, especially league-related sites. (Yes, I can
and have googled, but I thought this group might be able to share your
favorites).

Our site, www.jakartapoolleague.com, has a nice look, in our opinion,
but is in need of an overhaul before our next season. I'm collecting
ideas to pass on to the guy who will oversee the job. We don't yet have
a database behind the results, which is much needed.

And, if you know a way to have it automatically updated without a
committee member writing text and sending it.... Seriously, updating is
a problem even with a part-time employee, but we manage somehow.

TIA,
Dean

29 May 2006 06:34:52
David The Hamster Malone

JakartaDean wrote:
> Our site, www.jakartapoolleague.com, has a nice look, in our opinion,

Dean, my friend, to be blunt, screw the website - are you and your
family and friends OK after the earthquake?

I've been watching scenes of devastation on the new all weekend and
wondering how where you live was affected...

David "The concerned Hamster" Malone

29 May 2006 07:54:07

David The Hamster Malone wrote:
> JakartaDean wrote:
> > Our site, www.jakartapoolleague.com, has a nice look, in our opinion,
>
> Dean, my friend, to be blunt, screw the website - are you and your
> family and friends OK after the earthquake?
>
> I've been watching scenes of devastation on the new all weekend and
> wondering how where you live was affected...

If his ISP survived, all is well. ;-)

29 May 2006 08:06:56
David The Hamster Malone

Dhakala wrote:

> > I've been watching scenes of devastation on the new all weekend and
> > wondering how where you live was affected...
>
> If his ISP survived, all is well. ;-)

That's what I'm hoping.

Most of the devastation footage appeared to be of smaller villages and
settlements - I didn't see any downtown Jakarta damage. 5,000 people
are reported dead and 200,000 out of a home.

This is a bitter pill for them to swallow after the still uncompleted
re-building from the tsunami in 2004...

David "The Hamster" Malone

30 May 2006 14:43:58
JakartaDean
Re: Looking of ideas and / or cue graphic for web page

David The Hamster Malone wrote:

> Dean, my friend, to be blunt, screw the website - are you and your
> family and friends OK after the earthquake?
>
> I've been watching scenes of devastation on the new all weekend and
> wondering how where you live was affected...
>
> David "The concerned Hamster" Malone

Hey, it's a big country. The epicentre was hundreds of kilometres (=
hundreds of miles for Merkins) away. We didn't feel a thing. I would
have posted something, but you seem to always forget where I live.
Maybe my new online name helped?

I have been to a meeting of the chamber of commerce here, and for my
sins have been put on a committee to coordinate private contributions.
I also went to a large meeting of Rotary clubs to see what is planned.
It is too early to say. The immediate need is for tents, food and
cooking facilities and clean water. With the exception of the water,
these are relatively easy and are well underway. Brinking in drinking
water by tanker truck over broken roads is very time-consuming.

If anyone is interested, I'll keep posting what I learn, but I'm not
sure this is the forum, and I don't have a blog. I might go visit and
see first-hand, but in the first stages it is better to stay out of the
way of the professionals.

Regards,
Dean

30 May 2006 09:08:25
Jack Stein

Dhakala wrote:
> I avoid "cutting edge super cool" web sites like I avoid techno
> industrial metal hip-hop dance clubs, for the same reasons.

Dave is right on the money on this one. Anything moving on a web page
is generally annoying. Music is also lame. Speed has nothing to do with
it, I get over 8 megs thru put and all that does is make the annoyance
come at you sooner.

>>1. I have been thinking about using a close-up of the forearm and butt of a
>>cue stick which would take the place of the traditional vertical column at
>>the left side of most web pages. The Index of places on the web site would
>>be written on the stick in a manner that would make it readable.

> No, it won't. What's readable to you won't be readable to me or anyone
> else who doesn't have the same monitor set to the same contrast,
> brightness, tint, etc. Put the index on a plain white or sky blue
> background, in black type.

I don't completly agree here. To do this would be OK, but you would
need to display the index as a graphic so everyone would see the same
thing and map the menu.

>> I am not concerned
>>about anyone who has dial-up Internet service.

I understand this but for the most part, what is good for dial-up is
good for everyone. Photo's of course should always be low resolution
unless the photo's purpose is for d/l and printing. Also, often the
speed issue is with the internet or your host, not with the end user. I
went to the Jakarta pool league page and it took a long time to come up,
and I get superfast speeds on my cable modem.

>>2. I have also been thinking about a moving graphic with some sound for the
>>opening page where maybe a cue stick breaks open a rack of balls, spreading
>>the balls then the balls reposition themselves horizontally to form the
>>spelling of the web site name. The number of letters in the web address is
>>15 which for the time being will remain anonymous.

This sounds great, but you would need Flash to do it right, or a
animated gif to do it low-tech. The problem is as Dave said, moving
stuff is bad form. Even though the idea sounds good, what actually
happens is EVERYONE gets very sick of this stuff after hitting the page
several times. The opening page is always the most often viewed page
and seeing this stuff over and over is a nusiance, no matter how it
looks on paper, it seldom, or never cuts it in real life. About the
only animation I like is rollover stuff where menu items change when the
mouse rolls over it.

>>3. Also thinking about a cue stick breaking a rack of balls and the balls
>>explode to form a smoke filled graphic where the website's name would
>>emerge.

Same as above.

> To quote The Eagles, "I'm already gone." You're talking like a kid with
> his first MySpace.com page. I do not want noisy things moving around
> while I'm trying to read and figure out where I am and where I might
> want to go.

Ditto. It's not just kids though. Novice Webmaster's of any age tend
to like all that animated crap, and it's the fast lane to a garbage web
page. List a web page that you like that has a bunch of animated stuff,
I'd like to see one. I have seen flash pages that knock your socks off,
but, they mostly were selling flash, nothing else. Those that use flash
to sell anything else are always annoying the second or 3rd time around,
and is why most of them have the option listed to skip the crap. Might
as well skip the crap from the get-go...

A good web page is not annoying, looks nice, and most important is easy
to find your way around to the "valuable" info one is looking for.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

30 May 2006 06:35:51
David The Hamster Malone

JakartaDean wrote:
> Hey, it's a big country. The epicentre was hundreds of kilometres (=
> hundreds of miles for Merkins) away. We didn't feel a thing. I would
> have posted something, but you seem to always forget where I live.
> Maybe my new online name helped?

Nope.... I know where you live (and I know where your parents live!).
I'm glad you're fine.

> If anyone is interested, I'll keep posting what I learn

Please do... use this thread or start another OT one but I'd be
interested in your thoughts and experiences especially if you go to see
the devastation first-hand...

David "The Hamster" Malone

28 May 2006 22:06:05
JoeyA
Re: Looking of ideas and / or cue graphic for web page

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll check out useit.com
JoeyA