17 Jul 2004 09:45:08
Patrick Johnson
Hal Houle's "Light System"

Hal sent this description to me several days ago, and asked me today to
post it here because he misplaced his copy.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

LIGHT SYSTEM - By Hal Houle (HalHoule@aol.com)

WHEN THE LIGHTING ABOVE THE TABLE IS A FLUORESCENT TYPE, THEN THERE IS A
"BAR" OF LIGHT ON THE CUE BALL. AT A CENTER POINT EXACTLY HALFWAY
BETWEEN THE END OF THE "BAR" AND THE EDGE OF THE CUE BALL, IS THE AIM
POINT THAT YOU AIM AT THE CENTER, HALF, EDGE, OF AN OBJECT BALL.

THIS PRODUCES A THREE ANGLE AIMING SYSTEM FOR ANY AND ALL SHOTS ON A
TABLE. BANKS, CAROMS, COMBINATIONS, POCKETING.

WHETHER THE LIGHTING ABOVE THE TABLE IS A SINGLE BULB, OR MANY BULBS,
CHOOSE ANY LIGHT SPOT ON THE CUE BALL. AT A CENTER POINT EXACTLY
HALFWAY BETWEEN THE LIGHT ON THE CUE BALL AND THE EDGE OF THE CUE BALL,
IS THE AIM POINT THAT YOU AIM AT THE CENTER, HALF, EDGE, OF AN OBJECT BALL.

THIS AGAIN PRODUCES A THREE ANGLE AIMING SYSTEM ON ANY AND ALL SHOTS ON
A TABLE. BANKS, CAROMS, COMBINATIONS, POCKETING.

WHEN CUTTING TO THE RIGHT FOR ANY SHOT, NATURALLY YOU WILL USE THE LIGHT
REFERENCE ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF THE CUE BALL. SAME GOES FOR CUTTING TO
THE LEFT. USE THE LIGHT REFERENCE ON THE LEFT SIDE OF THE CUE BALL.

CRITICAL POINT. YOUR HEAD SHOULD ALWAYS BE SQUARELY BEHIND WHAT YOU ARE
AIMING WITH, AND WHAT YOU ARE AIMING AT. OTHERWISE, IF YOU WOULD HAVE TO
AIM FROM SOMEWHERE RIGHT OR LEFT ON THE CUE BALL, THEN YOU WOULD HAVE TO
IMAGINE A LINE COMING FROM OUTSIDE IN TO THE TARGET ON THE OBJECT BALL.
A PARALLAX VIEW PROBLEM IN THE MAKING.

NOT SOME, BUT EVERY RECREATIONAL PLAYER MAKES THIS MISTAKE. ALL OF THEM
ARE PUTTING THEIR HEAD SQUARELY IN THE CENTER OF THE CUE BALL FOR ALL
SHOTS. THAT IS THE PRIMARY REASON THAT THEIR PROGRESS IS NOT ONLY SHORT
IN DURATION, BUT THEY NOW HAVE NO WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IF THEY
CONTINUE TO PLACE THEIR HEAD SQUARELY IN THE CENTER OF THE CUE BALL FOR
ALL SHOTS.

WHEN YOU HAVE A PERFECTLY STRAIGHT SHOT, THEN THERE IS NO AIMING
PROBLEM, YOUR HEAD IS SQUARELY FACING THE CENTER OF THE CUE BALL.

17 Jul 2004 10:40:36
Patrick Johnson
Re: Hal Houle's "Light System"

I told Hal I'd be posting a question or two about this, so here goes:

> ... AT A CENTER POINT EXACTLY HALFWAY
> BETWEEN THE END OF THE "BAR" AND THE EDGE OF THE CUE BALL, IS THE AIM
> POINT THAT YOU AIM AT THE CENTER, HALF, EDGE, OF AN OBJECT BALL.

Won't the end of a reflected 4-foot bar light be at a different place on
the cue ball than the end of a reflected 6-foot bar light, and therefore
produce a different aim point on the cue ball?

Won't the end of the same reflected bar light be at different places on
the cue ball when you stand at different places around the table
(because the reflection will be angled differently on the ball)?

> WHETHER THE LIGHTING ABOVE THE TABLE IS A SINGLE BULB, OR MANY BULBS,
> CHOOSE ANY LIGHT SPOT ON THE CUE BALL. AT A CENTER POINT EXACTLY
> HALFWAY BETWEEN THE LIGHT ON THE CUE BALL AND THE EDGE OF THE CUE BALL,
> IS THE AIM POINT THAT YOU AIM AT THE CENTER, HALF, EDGE, OF AN OBJECT BALL.

Won't choosing different light spots produce different aim points on the
cue ball?

If Hal's "three angle" system is based on aligning FIXED points on the
CB with FIXED points on the OB, how can all these changing and shifting
CB "aim points" work?

Alternatively, some people say that you can use the reflections of
lights on the OBJECT ball to help get a visual fix on the OB contact
point, similar to using other marks on the OB such as numbers, stripes,
chalk marks or imperfections. I think this less "formal" way of using
light reflections can be useful IF YOU DON'T MOVE WHILE DOING IT - in
other words, you can't walk around to sight the OB/pocket line and then
same place on the OB.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

17 Jul 2004 17:13:19
Deno J. Andrews
Re: Hal Houle's "Light System"

All good questions Pat!

This system has popped up in billiard cirlces from time to time. From what
I have understood from it, the system only gives you a visual aim point as a
reference point on the ball. Some people have a hard time visualizing a
spot on the ball, any spot, especially billiard balls where there are no
markings. So no matter where the light spots may be for different lights
and table positions, it is a reference point from which to aim a certain
part of the cue ball. The cue ball point will obviously have to change
depending on the table position and the shot and the lights, and whatever.
To say that I think this sort of system is total garbage would be an
understatement. I think there is more adjustment in this type of system
than simply using no system and just lining up what looks correct and
adjusting from there. Some players swear by it though...but those players
are often swearing (from losing) anyway.

Deno

"Patrick Johnson" <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote in message
> I told Hal I'd be posting a question or two about this, so here goes:
>
> > ... AT A CENTER POINT EXACTLY HALFWAY
> > BETWEEN THE END OF THE "BAR" AND THE EDGE OF THE CUE BALL, IS THE AIM
> > POINT THAT YOU AIM AT THE CENTER, HALF, EDGE, OF AN OBJECT BALL.
>
> Won't the end of a reflected 4-foot bar light be at a different place on
> the cue ball than the end of a reflected 6-foot bar light, and therefore
> produce a different aim point on the cue ball?
>
> Won't the end of the same reflected bar light be at different places on
> the cue ball when you stand at different places around the table
> (because the reflection will be angled differently on the ball)?
>
> > WHETHER THE LIGHTING ABOVE THE TABLE IS A SINGLE BULB, OR MANY BULBS,
> > CHOOSE ANY LIGHT SPOT ON THE CUE BALL. AT A CENTER POINT EXACTLY
> > HALFWAY BETWEEN THE LIGHT ON THE CUE BALL AND THE EDGE OF THE CUE BALL,
> > IS THE AIM POINT THAT YOU AIM AT THE CENTER, HALF, EDGE, OF AN OBJECT
BALL.

> Won't choosing different light spots produce different aim points on the
> cue ball?
>
> If Hal's "three angle" system is based on aligning FIXED points on the
> CB with FIXED points on the OB, how can all these changing and shifting
> CB "aim points" work?
>
> Alternatively, some people say that you can use the reflections of
> lights on the OBJECT ball to help get a visual fix on the OB contact
> point, similar to using other marks on the OB such as numbers, stripes,
> chalk marks or imperfections. I think this less "formal" way of using
> light reflections can be useful IF YOU DON'T MOVE WHILE DOING IT - in
> other words, you can't walk around to sight the OB/pocket line and then
> same place on the OB.
>
> Pat Johnson
> Chicago

17 Jul 2004 13:36:53
Newsposts1
Re: Hal Houle's "Light System"

Patrick Johnson <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote in message news:<UN6dnUHn2t7opmTdRVn-vA@comcast.com>...

> Hal sent this description to me several days ago, and asked me today to
> post it here because he misplaced his copy.

Been doin' something like this for years ... even before ever taking
lessons ... never knew it was part of some fancy system.

Just seemed natural to me.

18 Jul 2004 17:14:27
Bob Jewett
Re: Hal Houle's "Light System"

Patrick Johnson <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@thiscomcast.net > wrote:

> Hal sent this description to me several days ago, and asked me
> today to post it here because he misplaced his copy.

For those interested in how you can use light reflections to aim
specific shots and for improving your perception generally, you
should get Ron Vitello's booklet on aiming systems. The booklet
has many, many pictures, including what the reflections should
look like, and specific places and situations on the table where
using the reflections may be useful.

The system Hal described ignores the fact that there is
significant differences among light fixtures that will change the
spot on the cue ball chosen for aiming. It also ignores the fact
that rotation of the entire shot about the target pocket, which
must not change the aim, does move the position of the image of
the light on the cue ball.

> NOT SOME, BUT EVERY RECREATIONAL PLAYER MAKES THIS MISTAKE.
> ALL OF THEM ARE PUTTING THEIR HEAD SQUARELY IN THE CENTER OF
> THE CUE BALL FOR ALL SHOTS. THAT IS THE PRIMARY REASON THAT
> THEIR PROGRESS IS NOT ONLY SHORT IN DURATION, BUT THEY NOW HAVE
> NO WAY TO FIX THE PROBLEM IF THEY CONTINUE TO PLACE THEIR HEAD
> SQUARELY IN THE CENTER OF THE CUE BALL FOR ALL SHOTS.

I believe the above paragraph to be mostly false.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

18 Jul 2004 17:20:27
Bob Jewett
Re: Hal Houle's "Light System"

Bob Jewett <jewett@sfbilliards.com > wrote:

> For those interested in how you can use light reflections to aim
> specific shots and for improving your perception generally, you
> should get Ron Vitello's booklet on aiming systems.

I forgot to give contact info. Googling on

"ron vitello" aiming

will get you email and land mail and phone info.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/