30 Mar 2005 12:41:47
lfigueroa
Death of a Pool Hall

Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.

If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a dear
friend.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html

Lou Figueroa

30 Mar 2005 07:00:24
Michael Page
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

In article
<f8x2e.485029$w62.260843@bgtnsc05-news.ops.worldnet.att.net >, lfigueroa
<lfigueroa@att.net > wrote:

> Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.
>
> If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a dear
> friend.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html

Wow.

thanks Lou.

mike page
fargo

30 Mar 2005 07:30:17
Pat Hall
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Thanks Lou. I posted this on az also.

PatH

lfigueroa wrote:
> Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.
>
> If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a dear
> friend.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html
>
> Lou Figueroa

30 Mar 2005 06:51:46
Aunty Dan
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Thanks indeed, great article.

--
Aunty Dan
"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer
"Pat Hall" <phall@notsospam.certcoinc.com > wrote in message
> Thanks Lou. I posted this on az also.
>
> PatH
>
> lfigueroa wrote:
>> Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.
>>
>> If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a dear
>> friend.
>>
>> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html
>>
>> Lou Figueroa

30 Mar 2005 10:00:20
pltrgyst
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:41:47 GMT, "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net > wrote:

>Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.
>
>If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a dear
>friend.
>
>http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html

I hadn't been to that particular Champions in over ten years, but perhaps Jam
and KM have, since it was much closer to their neck of the woods. And for sure,
she knew Goose and Tom-Tom.

Now I'm going to have to check on Champions in Shirlington to make sure they
didn't sell out while my back was turned...bummer.

-- Larry

http://www.newsfeeds.comThe #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 120,000+ Newsgroups

30 Mar 2005 10:29:54
Bob Johnson
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Beautifully written! I emailed the following to Ted:

"Ted, your article about the demise of Champions is gathering steam on pool
newsgroups all over the net. Thanks for a very well written piece that I
hope makes it far beyond us pool room types. You've told the story of the
game itself rather than just the room you miss."

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bobj@cris.com

"lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net > wrote in message
> Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.
>
> If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a dear
> friend.
>
> http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html
>
> Lou Figueroa

31 Mar 2005 02:06:33
lfigueroa
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

OK... here's a thought, a challenge if you will, a request, as I prefer:

We have all, probably, experienced (or luckily, continue to experience)
rooms like this. We have all had that magic time, way back when, when we
fell in love with the game at a particular room, or perhaps a series of
rooms, with a particular set of characters.

It's Wednesday night and I know March Madness is upon us (here in St. Louis,
it's beyond belief). But I would ask that, if you are so inclined, to write
something, anything, about the pool room you grew up playing in, the one
that was your home, the one that is your home -- the one where your love
of the game was born and perhaps nurtured.

Don't post it now. Give it a few days to think about. I will post mine
Sunday night and I hope some of you will take the time to write something to
share then.

Lou Figueroa

"Bob Johnson" <bobj@cris.com > wrote in message
> Beautifully written! I emailed the following to Ted:
>
> "Ted, your article about the demise of Champions is gathering steam on
pool
> newsgroups all over the net. Thanks for a very well written piece that I
> hope makes it far beyond us pool room types. You've told the story of the
> game itself rather than just the room you miss."
>
> --
> Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
> bobj@cris.com
>
> "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net> wrote in message
> > Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.
> >
> > If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a dear
> > friend.
> >
> > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html
> >
> > Lou Figueroa

31 Mar 2005 02:18:30
Jim Wyant
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Tap

Tap

Tap

--Jim

31 Mar 2005 06:25:08
JAM
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Pltygyst posts: "...I hadn't been to that particular Champions in over
ten years, but perhaps JAM and KM have, since it was much closer to
their neck of the woods. And for sure, she knew Goose and Tom-Tom...."

Champion Billiards in Silver Spring, Maryland, was the FIRST Champion
Billiards pool room in the metro D.C. area, owned by Richard Allen. He
used to have a showroom there where he sold pool tables (in the front
room). At that time in the mid '80s, Champion Billiards was the
LARGEST distributor of pool tables on the East Coast.

Richard Allen and Doug Kelly, his partner, then expanded the Champion
Billiards family and opened up pool rooms in Frederick, MD;
Shirlington, VA; Rockville, MD; and Laurel, MD. The showroom was moved
to the other locations, and the Silver Spring pool room rights were
sold to Bubba, who is now deceased.

I worked the night shift at Champion Billiards in Silver Spring for a
spell, when the action was plentiful. In 1986, the same year "The
Color of Money" was released, I ran the Maryland State Championship at
the Silver Spring location, which was won by a Towson resident, Mike
Sigel; second place, Cigar Tom Vanover; and third place, Teddy Bear
Wilson.

When the smoking ban hit Montgomery County, Maryland, it took its toll
on J&B's Champion Billiards in Silver Spring. The current owner
decided it was good timing for her and she elected to shut down, due to
a drastic decline in business, when the lease expired and retire.

Geese and Tom-Tom Wirth were regulars at Champion Billiards in Silver
Spring. Geese is now deceased, and Tom-Tom, who won Strawberry's
Capital City Classic one-pocket tournament defeating Jose Parica, has
now hung up his cue stick for a deck of cards. I received a call from
him recently, and his logic about poker is that he doesn't have to give
up any weight. AND when one player is knocked out, there's always
another to take their place. He states that he is actually earning a
nice living playing poker.

I cannot place who the writer is of The Washington Post article, but if
I saw his face, I'd probably know him. He is correct in that Champion
Billiards in Silver Spring was a neighborhood gathering spot for many
pool folk.

The "Mayor of Silver Spring" was an older gentleman who used to pick up
trash and clean up the downtown Silver Spring area during the day. I
believe he was a homeless man, but his efforts did not go unnoticed.
He was a legend, and his memory lives on. There is actually a statute
of him across the street from the pool room.

Before Champion Billiards in Silver Spring shut down, there were weekly
9-ball tournaments there every Thursday night, $20 entry fee, double
elimination. Currently, in the metro D.C. area, there are local 9-ball
tourneys on Mondays (Bill and Billie's in Arnold, MD), on Tuesdays
(Champion Billiards in Laurel, MD), on Wednesdays (Orange Ball in
Rockville, MD), and on Sundays (Top Hat in Baltimore, MD).

The place where action players seem to gather today is USA Billiards in
Laurel, MD, run by Korean Lee's (the player mentioned in the Post
article) brother. Just a few weeks ago, Niels Feijen and Katrina made
a cameo appearance. Danny Green just beat lock-artist Brandon in
one-pocket, spotting him pretty good, stuffing his pockets with 15 very
large ones.

This past Tuesday night at the local tournament at Champions in Laurel,
MD, the player roster had quite a few heavy hitters, which has become
the norm: UPA Touring Pro Mike Davis, Big Breaker Jerry Slivka, Ryan
"Genie Man" McCreesh, Jump Ball Mechanic Danny Green, BCA Instructor
Doug Sharp, Young Gun Brandon Shuff (who won the tournament), and KM.
After this tournament ends, most of the players drive up Route 198 a
short distance to hang out at USA Billiards. This is a great pool
room, day or night, and is clean, action friendly, and THE place where
one can see some topnotch competitive pool in the metro D.C. area
(IMO).

BTW, for the locals, I recently heard the bad news of local player Bob
Carr passing away. He was a regular player at Fast Eddie's in
Springfield, VA. He was playing pool at the time when he suffered a
fatal heart attack. He will be missed.

JAM

31 Mar 2005 15:16:41
David Malone
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:06:33 GMT, "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net >
wrote:

>But I would ask that, if you are so inclined, to write
>something, anything, about the pool room you grew up playing in, the one
>that was your home, the one that is your home -- the one where your love
>of the game was born and perhaps nurtured.

I'd love to, Lou... problem with me is there was no pool room for me
growing up. I started when I was in my 50's. And the ones I frequent
now are nothing to write home about - mostly bars where we play league
matches with one or two Valley coin-ops.

Looking forward to hearing about other rooms though....

David "The Hamster" Malone

31 Mar 2005 11:05:02
Mike Page
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

In article <1112279108.062492.312840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com >,
"JAM" <jamalloy@aol.com > wrote:

[...]
> There is actually a statute
> of him across the street from the pool room.

lol --

dictionary entry-

dyed-in-the-wool court reporter:

One whose fingers refuse to type anything other than "te" after typing
"statu"

mike page
fargo

31 Mar 2005 17:28:17
Patrick Johnson
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Sucker puncher.

pj
chgo

Mike Page wrote:
> In article <1112279108.062492.312840@l41g2000cwc.googlegroups.com>,
> "JAM" <jamalloy@aol.com> wrote:
>
> [...]
>
>> There is actually a statute
>>of him across the street from the pool room.
>

> lol --
>
> dictionary entry-
>
> dyed-in-the-wool court reporter:
>
> One whose fingers refuse to type anything other than "te" after typing
> "statu"
>
> mike page
> fargo

04 Apr 2005 17:01:26

wrote:

>Don't post it now. Give it a few days to think about. I will post mine
>Sunday night and I hope some of you will take the time to write something to
>share then.

Lou, Sunday night has come and gone. Unless you meant next Sunday...

David "The Hamster" Malone

04 Apr 2005 21:07:01
lfigueroa
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

errrrrrr, yeah! Next Sunday is what I meant. That's the ticket

(It's guys like you that give guys like me the reoccurring "paper due
tomorrow that hasn't been written yet" nightmare :-)

Actually, I gave myself till Sunday because I've been crashing on a couple
of projects and thought I'd have time to write something nice by then. That
article in the WP made me think of the room I spent many, many hours in as a
young lad and many things I hadn't thought of in a long time. I'm spending
a lot of time at the computer, and skimming RSB and posting on the run, but
haven't had time for a more thoughtful piece.

Lou Figueroa

"David Malone" <malone@ca.ibm.com > wrote in message
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 02:06:33 GMT, "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Don't post it now. Give it a few days to think about. I will post mine
> >Sunday night and I hope some of you will take the time to write something
> >share then.
>
> Lou, Sunday night has come and gone. Unless you meant next Sunday...
>
> David "The Hamster" Malone

05 Apr 2005 14:20:33
David Malone
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

On Mon, 04 Apr 2005 21:07:01 GMT, "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net >
wrote:

>(It's guys like you that give guys like me the reoccurring "paper due
>tomorrow that hasn't been written yet" nightmare :-)

Sorry. Lou... it's detention for you. Sit in a corner for a few hours
and think about your tardiness. Next time a paper is due, perhaps
you'll remember this and make a concerted effort...?

(lol... I was always the one who was late. When I gave my excuses (the
dog ate my paper, I was abducted by aliens) the whole class would make
like they were playing a violin to accompany my story. This didn't
help much.)

David "The Hamster" Malone

08 Apr 2005 02:58:18
Chris
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

I learned to play pool at a local establishment while still in high school.

But I learned to love the game while living in Kalamazoo, Michigan. It was
only a few years back that I lived there, although it seems like it was
decades ago. Anyways, there were two pool halls: Playtime Billiards and
Billiards Playground. I know some of you one-pocket aficionados remember
Billiards Playground. This room hosted the U.S. Open One Pocket Tournament
for several years. I would occasionally skip classes at Western Michigan
University to run by this room. Okay, I would always skip classes.

Every time I walked in there I felt like I lived in another age; a much
simpler time. A time when the clock wasn't in such a hurry to count the
hours. There was always a few guys in there hanging around as if they had
all the time in the world, and you could always find a game on the snooker
table. I eventually moved over to the other room in town because that was
were the players were, but I would always sneak back over to the Playground
to practice up on the snooker table. Or just to take in the atmosphere. I
loved that place!

Well, it was a year or two ago that I was visiting in the Kalamazoo area.
So, I made a couple of phone calls to see if Playtime Billiards still had
their weekly Sunday nine-ball tournament. Luckily they did. I made plans
to play in the tournament. But more importantly, I figured I would swing by
Billiards Playground to practice up on the snooker table. Especially since
I can't seem to find one of these beautiful 12 footers anywhere!

So I headed out a couple of hours early. I was really looking forward to
stepping foot in that place again. It had only been 5 or 6 years but I
swear it seemed like a lifetime ago that I had been in there. I found
myself driving up and down the road looking for this room. I just kept
driving, but I could have sworn it wasn't down so far. After driving back
and forth for a while I was about to give up when I saw the sign - FOR SALE.
It had obviously closed down quite a while ago. Darn near brought a tear to
my eye.

Chris
- back to lurking

> OK... here's a thought, a challenge if you will, a request, as I prefer:
>
> We have all, probably, experienced (or luckily, continue to experience)
> rooms like this. We have all had that magic time, way back when, when we
> fell in love with the game at a particular room, or perhaps a series of
> rooms, with a particular set of characters.
>
> It's Wednesday night and I know March Madness is upon us (here in St.
Louis,
> it's beyond belief). But I would ask that, if you are so inclined, to
write
> something, anything, about the pool room you grew up playing in, the one
> that was your home, the one that is your home -- the one where your love
> of the game was born and perhaps nurtured.
>
> Don't post it now. Give it a few days to think about. I will post mine
> Sunday night and I hope some of you will take the time to write something
> share then.
>
> Lou Figueroa
>
> "Bob Johnson" <bobj@cris.com> wrote in message
> > Beautifully written! I emailed the following to Ted:
> >
> > "Ted, your article about the demise of Champions is gathering steam on
> pool
> > newsgroups all over the net. Thanks for a very well written piece that
> > hope makes it far beyond us pool room types. You've told the story of
the
> > game itself rather than just the room you miss."
> >
> > --
> > Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
> > bobj@cris.com
> >
> > "lfigueroa" <lfigueroa@att.net> wrote in message
> > > Probably one of the loveliest farewells to a pool hall I've ever read.
> > >
> > > If you love pool, you'll feel like you just been to a funeral of a
dear
> > > friend.
> > >
> > > http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A11441-2005Mar29.html
> > >
> > > Lou Figueroa

08 Apr 2005 13:15:52
lfigueroa
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Good story. Thanks, Chris.

The BP was a great room. Simonis covered Gandy's with Rashig balls.
Something about that combination allowed you to twist balls coming off the
rails like they were pretzels :-) You could make some unbelievable shots
with that equipment.

As I recall, Matt Rosendaul sold BP to Ed. Matt, IIRC, was going to open a
new room in downtown Kalamazoo in an old brick historic type building. I
thought he already had the building bought and was set to open about a year
after the last Open event there. Since I haven't been there since the last
Open, don't know what happen.

Lou Figueroa

"Chris" <pool_player@comcast.net > wrote in message
> [...]
> > that was your home, the one that is your home -- the one where your
love
> > of the game was born and perhaps nurtured.
> >
> > Don't post it now. Give it a few days to think about. I will post mine
> > Sunday night and I hope some of you will take the time to write
something
> > share then.
> >
> > Lou Figueroa
> >
> > "Bob Johnson" <bobj@cris.com> wrote in message
> > > Beautifully written! I emailed the following to Ted:
> > >
> > > "Ted, your article about the demise of Champions is gathering steam on
> > pool
> > > newsgroups all over the net. Thanks for a very well written piece
that
> > > hope makes it far beyond us pool room types. You've told the story of
> the
> > > game itself rather than just the room you miss."

12 Apr 2005 19:22:01
JerryB
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

lou,

i spent a lot of time working on my game with matt the last two years that
he was there. here's what happened:

the deal in downtown fell through for some reason, i don't recall what it
was. matt was still owner of BP

so, ed and matt put their heads together and started talking about building
another room in lansing, either on the north side of town or near MSU.

about that time the landlord raised the rent, again. matt told me that he
was paying more for rent than he made in income for the year in his good
years.....

then one day a guy from allegan michigan walks in while matt was giving me a
lesson and asks matt "could you help me start a room in allegan?" matt says
"sure i'll sell you this one and set it up for you." they went to one of the
booths up front and my lesson was over!

a week later matt had a semi-private
closing-down-so-come-in-and-play-all-night party for the regulars, we had a
great (albeit bittersweet) time saying goodby to the room.

that week matt moved the pool tables to allegan, and sold off the snooker
tables.

the next week matt moved to lansing to work for ed in his room while they
worked on the new room idea and looked for a building.

i went to lansing and played with matt a few times after that, then lost
touch with him. i do know that he now lives in charlotte mi.

don't know if they ever got the second room going or not. and i have not
heard from matt in over a year now.

i miss the place as well, lots of great folks to shoot with in there.
billiard playground has moved way south of their old spot, call for
directions if your planning to go there.

cheers
jerry

> [...]
>> > rooms like this. We have all had that magic time, way back when, when
> we
>> > fell in love with the game at a particular room, or perhaps a series of
>> > rooms, with a particular set of characters.
>> >
>> > It's Wednesday night and I know March Madness is upon us (here in St.
>> Louis,
>> > it's beyond belief). But I would ask that, if you are so inclined, to
>> write
>> > something, anything, about the pool room you grew up playing in, the
>> > one
>> > that was your home, the one that is your home -- the one where your
> love
>> > of the game was born and perhaps nurtured.
>> >
>> > Don't post it now. Give it a few days to think about. I will post
>> > mine
>> > Sunday night and I hope some of you will take the time to write

13 Apr 2005 12:25:01
lfigueroa
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

Jerry, thanks for the info. It's unbelievable that the landlord would jack
up his rent so much -- as I recall, Matt did pretty good business at that
locale. I know here, folks are always fighting the monthly nut -- seems
like nowadays, you're better off buying or building a building and paying
off the loan, instead having the dough go to rent.

Lou Figueroa

"JerryB" <gbarkley@charter.ihatespam.net > wrote in message
> [...]
> >> to play in the tournament. But more importantly, I figured I would
swing
> > by
> >> Billiards Playground to practice up on the snooker table. Especially
> > since
> >> I can't seem to find one of these beautiful 12 footers anywhere!
> >>
> >> So I headed out a couple of hours early. I was really looking forward
> >> stepping foot in that place again. It had only been 5 or 6 years but I
> >> swear it seemed like a lifetime ago that I had been in there. I found
> >> myself driving up and down the road looking for this room. I just kept
> >> driving, but I could have sworn it wasn't down so far. After driving
> >> back
> >> and forth for a while I was about to give up when I saw the sign - FOR
> > SALE.
> >> It had obviously closed down quite a while ago. Darn near brought a

13 Apr 2005 16:49:53
JerryB
Re: Death of a Pool Hall

i don't think matt will mind my telling that his rent was push 10K per month
pretty hard. as you point out that will buy a really nice building.

the thing that blows me away is that the building has been empty ever since,
4 years now.

if the landlord would have lowered the rent he'd be ahead today,

i miss the place too,

jerry