05 Aug 2004 19:02:02
Nixon, D
Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on televised
matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
The outfits I deal with don't carry them........

Thanks.

McDave n1@att.net
+

05 Aug 2004 21:00:44
Superseal
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

"Nixon, D" <n1@att.net > wrote in message

> Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on televised
> matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
> spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
> The outfits I deal with don't carry them........
>
> Thanks.
>
> McDave n1@att.net
> +

Originally they were being sold as individual cue balls. Now the only way
to get one is to purchase a full set............................I think it
is call *The Super Aramith Pro Value Pack*.

I know.....................it sucks.

HTH

SS

05 Aug 2004 21:20:25
Vader93490
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

>Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on televised
>matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,

I've seen them for sale on Ebay from time to time going for various prices,
usually around $35.

05 Aug 2004 23:37:51
Nixon, D
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

"Superseal" <superseal@optonline.net > wrote in message

> "Nixon, D" <n1@att.net> wrote in message
> >
> > Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on
televised
> > matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
> > spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
> > The outfits I deal with don't carry them........
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > McDave n1@att.net
> > +
> >

> Originally they were being sold as individual cue balls. Now the only way
> to get one is to purchase a full set............................I think it
> is call *The Super Aramith Pro Value Pack*.
>
> I know.....................it sucks.
>
> HTH
>
> SS

I'll tell 'em where they can pack their "Super Aramith Pro Value" !

I read somewhere of a guy who examined the uniformity, weight, size,
sphericity, and homogeneity of a variety of Arimith balls and determined
that the important characteristics do not improve as the price goes up. In
face, sometimes it degrades as the price goes up. I think it was Jack
Kolher who made that study. Anything above the Arimith Crown level
you're just kidding yourself (unless, of course, you just like the
appearance).

McD.DaddyDave

Nixon, D
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

I'll try that. I will pay up to $25 U.S. for one of those balls.

McD.DaddyDave

"Vader93490" <vader93490@aol.comnojunk > wrote in message
> >Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on televised
> >matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
>
> I've seen them for sale on Ebay from time to time going for various
prices,
> usually around $35.

05 Aug 2004 23:09:10
Patrick Johnson
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

I practice with a striped ball as the cue ball every so often to
"recalibrate" my spin. Seeing the spin is powerful direct feedback -
that usually reminds me not to overdo it.

A lot of the 3-cushion cue balls at Chris's are dotted, so I see them in
use all the time and have used them a few times. I think the evenly
spaced dots are easier to "read" than the more irregular markings of a
striped ball, and easier on the eyes. I might have to get one on eBay.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

Nixon, D wrote:
> Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on televised
> matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
> spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
> The outfits I deal with don't carry them........
>
> Thanks.
>
> McDave n1@att.net
> +

06 Aug 2004 00:24:12
Rick
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21210&item=3690754504

Nixon, D wrote:
> Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on televised
> matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
> spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
> The outfits I deal with don't carry them........
>
> Thanks.
>
> McDave n1@att.net
> +

06 Aug 2004 06:18:06
David Hakala
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

FORTY DOLLARS?? I gotta me some of those, wholesale. :-)

"Rick" <no@nospam.net > wrote in message news:411315FC.6020201@nospam.net...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=21210&item=3690754504

> Nixon, D wrote:
> > Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on
televised
> > matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
> > spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
> > The outfits I deal with don't carry them........
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > McDave n1@att.net
> > +

06 Aug 2004 14:04:24
Ray Fichthorn
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Patrick Johnson wrote:
> I practice with a striped ball as the cue ball every so often to
> "recalibrate" my spin. Seeing the spin is powerful direct feedback -
> that usually reminds me not to overdo it.

My God Pat!!!!... how can you use any spin? Especially over distance? with all the OBVIOUS
drawbacks... Are you telling me you can actually learn to shoot accurately with spin? What about the
tremendous loss of power- You couldn't possibly get 3-rail shape anymore, and that damned Cue-ball
control... may as well throw that out the window! Or, can you practice enough to compensate for
these factors?
Gee, who'da thunk it! Pat Johnson advocating the use of spin.....

Ray <...quit breaking with spin due to the OBVIOUS drawbacks (loss of power, accuracy, cue-ball
control)... and PJ said so...

06 Aug 2004 14:09:09
Patrick Johnson
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Ray Fichthorn wrote:

> Gee, who'da thunk it! Pat Johnson advocating the use of spin...

Being disagreed with really gets your panties in a bunch, huh Ray? And
it seems to make you unable to see the differences between shooting and
breaking.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

06 Aug 2004 10:32:02
Frank Glenn
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

In article <I5idndOIOeuW6o7cRVn-gw@comcast.com >,
fishindave@comcast.net says...
:|:FORTY DOLLARS?? I gotta me some of those, wholesale. :-)
:|:

plus $5.95 "shipping"!
Frank

06 Aug 2004 14:53:26
Ray Fichthorn
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Patrick Johnson wrote:

> Being disagreed with really gets your panties in a bunch, huh Ray?
Heh heh heh.... you ARE joking- right? (It's a pot/kettle thing...)
look up the word "facetious"

And
> it seems to make you unable to see the differences between shooting and
> breaking.

I understand the differences perfectly well, thank you... I just wanted to know (your opinion)why
the OBVIOUS drawbacks of using spin- don't apply to both shots? Are/were you stating that the stroke
used on the break is so much different than a "regular" shooting stroke... that it precludes the use
of ANY spin? And, that it is IMPOSSIBLE to shoot a break shot consistantly- with acurracy, power,
and cue-ball control- using ANY spin. Or are you backing away from your earlier professed opinion?

Ray <...PJ's ambiguity has my head spinning...could it be his (key-)stroke?

06 Aug 2004 16:14:15
Patrick Johnson
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Ray Fichthorn wrote:

> ... Are/were you stating that the stroke used on the
> break is so much different than a "regular" shooting stroke... that it
> precludes the use of ANY spin?

Of course they're radically different, although I'm guessing you can't
agree with even something so obvious. And if you're actually interested
in what I think that means (I doubt it), go back and reread my earlier
comments. Whatever little drama you've made this topic into in your own
mind doesn't interest me.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

06 Aug 2004 20:13:55
Samiel
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Kind of off topic, but does anyone know where I can get some Blue
Circle cueballs (come with Centennials?) fairly inexpensively?

Sybert's sell them for about $20 each, but I am sure they can be found
for much cheaper...

- Samiel

06 Aug 2004 21:30:40
Nixon, D
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Pat;
Let me know if you find them on E-Bay... And, I'll do the same.
If you should end up with two, I'll probably take one of them off your
hands..

McDave
======================================================..

"Patrick Johnson" <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote in message
> I practice with a striped ball as the cue ball every so often to
> "recalibrate" my spin. Seeing the spin is powerful direct feedback -
> that usually reminds me not to overdo it.
>
> A lot of the 3-cushion cue balls at Chris's are dotted, so I see them in
> use all the time and have used them a few times. I think the evenly
> spaced dots are easier to "read" than the more irregular markings of a
> striped ball, and easier on the eyes. I might have to get one on eBay.
>
> Pat Johnson
> Chicago
>
> Nixon, D wrote:
> > Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on
televised
> > matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
> > spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
> > The outfits I deal with don't carry them........
> >
> > Thanks.
> >
> > McDave n1@att.net
> > +

06 Aug 2004 21:30:41
Nixon, D
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

To Group;

$40 ??? !!!

I'd like to have one. I can afford one. But Ms. Nixon didn't raise any
damned fools or suckers!

Fugiddit !!!

McDave

"Nixon, D" <n1@att.net > wrote in message

> Anyone know where I can buy those cueballs we frequently see on televised
> matches that have several multicolored dots about 1/4 inch in diamter,
> spaced about 60 degrees apart, all around the ball. I like to try one.
> The outfits I deal with don't carry them........
>
> Thanks.
>
> McDave n1@att.net
> +

07 Aug 2004 15:15:17
Corner Man
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

"Patrick Johnson" <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote

> I practice with a striped ball as the cue ball every so often to
> "recalibrate" my spin. Seeing the spin is powerful direct feedback -
> that usually reminds me not to overdo it.

With the multi-dot cue ball, I've found it pretty damned interesting just
how much forward spin there is in a "dead squat" break.

Fred

07 Aug 2004 19:10:34
Nixon, D
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

"Corner Man" <ohagnir1@PASScomcast.net > wrote in message

> "Patrick Johnson" <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote
>
> > I practice with a striped ball as the cue ball every so often to
> > "recalibrate" my spin. Seeing the spin is powerful direct feedback -
> > that usually reminds me not to overdo it.
> >

> With the multi-dot cue ball, I've found it pretty damned interesting just
> how much forward spin there is in a "dead squat" break.
>
> Fred

Yes. But, couldn't you do the same with any striped ball??

McDave

Corner Man
~~~Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

"Nixon, D" <n1@att.net > wrote in

> "Corner Man" <ohagnir1@PASScomcast.net> wrote in message
> >
> > "Patrick Johnson" <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net> wrote
> >
> > > I practice with a striped ball as the cue ball every so often to
> > > "recalibrate" my spin. Seeing the spin is powerful direct feedback -
> > > that usually reminds me not to overdo it.
> > >

> > With the multi-dot cue ball, I've found it pretty damned interesting
just
> > how much forward spin there is in a "dead squat" break.
> >
> > Fred
>
> Yes. But, couldn't you do the same with any striped ball??
>
> McDave

There are many things you can easily see better with the multi-dot ball.
There's not even a comparison. If say you hit it with forward right spin.
This is very easily recognized with a multi-dot ball. With a stripe, as hard
as you're hitting it on the break, it looks like a wobble. Especially if you
haven't aligned the "striped cueball" to a pre-determined reference. With
the multi-dot, it's not an issue. You can shoot the whole game, getting
feedback on every shot without disrupting the game.

Fred <~~~ who actually shoots a full game with a striped ball?

07 Aug 2004 17:21:36
Patrick Johnson
Re: ~~~Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Corner Man wrote:

> Fred <~~~ who actually shoots a full game with a striped ball?

When I practice (which is most of the time, although I'm enjoying
competing more and more), occasionally I'll use a striped ball for hours
at a time, shooting rack after rack of 15-ball rotation interspersed
with inning after inning of progressive rotation. For 15-ball rotation
I shoot the cueball in first (using the 15 ball as the cueball), then
the 1, 2, 3, etc. For aesthetics I'd rather shoot the cueball in last,
but then I invariably find myself using it halfway through the rack. I
suppose that's a sign of concentration...

Speaking of progressive rotation, would Ron or Bob or Mike (or anybody
else) explain again how to interpret my "hovering" point? If I stay
around, say, 5 or 6 balls (with short forays above and below), does that
mean I should expect to run an average of 5 or 6 balls in a rotation
game like 9-ball?

Thanks in advance.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

07 Aug 2004 18:23:16
Patrick Johnson
Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Corner Man wrote:

> With the multi-dot cue ball, I've found it pretty damned interesting just
> how much forward spin there is in a "dead squat" break.

Surprised at the amount needed to overcome the cue ball's rebound?
Also, I'm guessing, surprised you're putting that much on it. That's
its value in a nutshell. Less surprises.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

07 Aug 2004 18:36:51
Ron Shepard
Re: ~~~Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

In article <DO2dnbzd9qVtyIjcRVn-qw@comcast.com >,
Patrick Johnson <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote:

> Speaking of progressive rotation, would Ron or Bob or Mike (or anybody
> else) explain again how to interpret my "hovering" point? If I stay
> around, say, 5 or 6 balls (with short forays above and below), does that
> mean I should expect to run an average of 5 or 6 balls in a rotation
> game like 9-ball?

Loosely speaking, I think the answer is yes. Specifically, it means
that you will be successful half the time running out with 5 balls
(or whatever is your average). That's not exactly the same thing as
saying that your average rotation run is 5 balls because in one case
the shorter runs terminate because you run out of balls and in the
other case they terminate only because of misses. That is, in one
situation you are averaging in about half of your "finished" runs,
while in the other situation you are including mostly "unfinished"
runs.

However, you can also play head games like this. Suppose you walk
up to a 9-ball table with, say 8 balls. If you can shoot three of
the balls and keep position, then from that point on you know that
you will succeed half of the time. You can then estimate your odds
of running the original 8 balls in two simpler steps, the odds of
running the first three balls multiplied by .5 (which are your
assumed odds of running the last 5). So knowing what is your 50%
point is useful for estimating nearby runlengths too.

All of these odds estimations assume there are no impossible
clusters or other outstanding problems, of course. That is, general
statistics don't completely overcome all other tactical
considerations.

$.02 -Ron Shepard

07 Aug 2004 19:03:27
Patrick Johnson
Re: ~~~Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

Ron Shepard wrote:

> ... you can also play head games

I try to remind myself that even if my odds are only 50-50 (or worse)
for making the runout, my odds on each ball are better and my runout
odds improve with every ball I make.

(..."my odds are (probably) better"...?)
Pat Johnson
Chicago

08 Aug 2004 05:42:38
Nixon, D
Re: ~~~Re: Cueball w. Dots . . . ?

"Ron Shepard" <ron-shepard@NOSPAM.comcast.net > wrote
> Loosely speaking, I think the answer is yes. Specifically, it means
> that you will be successful half the time running out with 5 balls
> (or whatever is your average). That's not exactly the same thing as
> saying that your average rotation run is 5 balls because in one case
> the shorter runs terminate because you run out of balls and in the
> other case they terminate only because of misses. That is, in one
> situation you are averaging in about half of your "finished" runs,
> while in the other situation you are including mostly "unfinished"
> runs.
>
> However, you can also play head games like this. Suppose you walk
> up to a 9-ball table with, say 8 balls. If you can shoot three of
> the balls and keep position, then from that point on you know that
> you will succeed half of the time. You can then estimate your odds
> of running the original 8 balls in two simpler steps, the odds of
> running the first three balls multiplied by .5 (which are your
> assumed odds of running the last 5). So knowing what is your 50%
> point is useful for estimating nearby runlengths too.
>
> All of these odds estimations assume there are no impossible
> clusters or other outstanding problems, of course. That is, general
> statistics don't completely overcome all other tactical
> considerations.
>
> $.02 -Ron Shepard

Thanks. For a concise explanation of a complex procedure.
McDave