13 Jul 2004 00:44:25
Bill
Buying a camcorder for break shots?

I want to get a camcorder to record break shots and play it back in slow
motion so I can see what is going on.

I don't know a thing about these gizmos! Help....

I tried searching to find one which records the fastest or whatever, but
all I get are a bunch of different model numbers for different camcorders
and prices. Clicking on specifications for each one does not help any
either.

Option 1...
Any recommendations on a camcorder which will do this the best? Would a
camcorder be able to do this?

Option 2:
I read that strobe lights can be used along with a digital camera? Anyone
know if this would be a better option?

13 Jul 2004 10:36:45
Ed Chauvin IV
Re: Buying a camcorder for break shots?

Mere moments before death, Bill hastily scrawled:
>I want to get a camcorder to record break shots and play it back in slow
>motion so I can see what is going on.
>
>I don't know a thing about these gizmos! Help....
>
>I tried searching to find one which records the fastest or whatever, but
>all I get are a bunch of different model numbers for different camcorders
>and prices. Clicking on specifications for each one does not help any
>either.
>
>Option 1...
>Any recommendations on a camcorder which will do this the best? Would a
>camcorder be able to do this?
>
>Option 2:
>I read that strobe lights can be used along with a digital camera? Anyone
>know if this would be a better option?

Have you tried checking some photography sites/groups?

Ed Chauvin IV

modifier G @ 11.

--Terry Austin

13 Jul 2004 09:12:10
Bill
Re: Buying a camcorder for break shots?

Yes, I also asked on rec.video...

They said all consumer camcorders record at the normal TV rate, but I could
play it back in slow motion with computer editing software. They said this
was probably the best option without costing an arm and a leg. (I did find
a professional high speed camcorder for $40,000.00. Being as I'm not Bill
Gates, I think I'll pass on that and live with whatever I can get at
Walmart...)

"Ed Chauvin IV" wrote in message

> Have you tried checking some photography sites/groups?

13 Jul 2004 16:30:02
Bob Jewett

Bill <bill190nospam@yahoo.com > wrote:

> I want to get a camcorder to record break shots and play it
> back in slow motion so I can see what is going on.

I think any camcorder will work well enough if you just want to
look at which ball goes where. George Onoda already did a study
from tournament videos of nine-ball breaks in his Billiards Digest
column in February 1990. You will be limited by the resolution
of the camera for details, and the speed of the camera for time
resolution.

Dave Alciatore has made some high-speed videos of break shots.
You can see what's possible with special equipment at:

http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/

> I tried searching to find one which records the fastest or
> whatever, but all I get are a bunch of different model numbers
> for different camcorders and prices. Clicking on
> specifications for each one does not help any either.

I think all US camcorders record at the same -- 30 full frames
per second.

> Option 2:
> I read that strobe lights can be used along with a digital
> camera? Anyone know if this would be a better option?

Strobe cameras can improve the effective shutter speed -- get
better stop-action -- but you will still be limited by the
30-image-per-second mechanism of the standard camcorder.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

13 Jul 2004 11:40:42
Bill

"Bob Jewett" wrote in message

> ...Dave Alciatore has made some high-speed videos of break shots.
> You can see what's possible with special equipment at:
>
> http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/

Yes, I looked at those in the past and this is what gave me the idea to
record my own breaks. These slow motion videos really show what exactly is
going on! I wish he did more slow motion break videos for both 8 and 9
ball. Anyone know what type of video equipment he used?

13 Jul 2004 14:27:32
Ron Hudson

On Tue, 13 Jul 2004 11:40:42 -0700, "Bill" <bill190nospam@yahoo.com > wrote:

>"Bob Jewett" wrote in message
>>
>> ...Dave Alciatore has made some high-speed videos of break shots.
>> You can see what's possible with special equipment at:
>>
>> http://www.engr.colostate.edu/~dga/pool/high_speed_videos/
>>

>Yes, I looked at those in the past and this is what gave me the idea to
>record my own breaks. These slow motion videos really show what exactly is
>going on! I wish he did more slow motion break videos for both 8 and 9
>ball. Anyone know what type of video equipment he used?

Expensive.

Ron