28 Sep 2004 09:45:46
Jim D.
Another Tipping Question

Interesting thread about tipping below. I have another. Years ago there
were table attendants who hung up your jacket, brushed off the table between
games, racked the balls, emptied pockets, etc. Usually they were retired
guys or men who probably couldn't handle a more complicated job who worked
strictly for tips. In Atlanta in the mid-late 80's I went to a night club
where attractive young women in bunny outfits (well, no tails as I recall)
performed similar duties. Are such attendants still around any more? If
so, what is proper tipping etiquette?

Jim D.

28 Sep 2004 15:46:59
Patrick Johnson
Re: Another Tipping Question

Jim D. wrote:

> ... In Atlanta in the mid-late 80's I went to a night club
> where attractive young women in bunny outfits (well, no tails as I recall)
> performed similar duties. Are such attendants still around any more?

Occasionally I'll wander into a place that offers this kind of annoying
"service". I suppose you should tip something. I don't go back.

Pat Johnson
Chicago

28 Sep 2004 16:35:23
Barry C.

"Jim D." <jd_12345@removeYahoo.com > wrote in message
> Interesting thread about tipping below. I have another. Years ago there
> were table attendants who hung up your jacket, brushed off the table
between
> games, racked the balls, emptied pockets, etc. Usually they were retired
> guys or men who probably couldn't handle a more complicated job who worked
> strictly for tips. In Atlanta in the mid-late 80's I went to a night club
> where attractive young women in bunny outfits (well, no tails as I recall)
> performed similar duties. Are such attendants still around any more? If
> so, what is proper tipping etiquette?
>
> Jim D.

Many a year ago, I worked in a room and racked for the customers. I never
received a tip, in fact, I sometimes had problems collecting the 15 cent per
9 ball rack from the clientele. :-)

Barry C. <was known as the rack boy

28 Sep 2004 11:57:01
Mike Page
Re: Another Tipping Question

In article <THf6d.1144$5b1.211@newssvr17.news.prodigy.com >,
Patrick Johnson <patrick.johnsonREMOVE@THIScomcast.net > wrote:

> Jim D. wrote:
>
> > ... In Atlanta in the mid-late 80's I went to a night club
> > where attractive young women in bunny outfits (well, no tails as I recall)
> > performed similar duties. Are such attendants still around any more?
>
> Occasionally I'll wander into a place that offers this kind of annoying
> "service". I suppose you should tip something. I don't go back.

I rack for people all the time, and nobody tips me. ..course I rarely
wear bunny outfits.

28 Sep 2004 13:23:04
Bob Johnson
Re: Another Tipping Question

Oh damn! Now I have to try to purge that image! ; >)
--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bobj@cris.com

"Mike Page" <mike.page@ndsu.nodak.edu > wrote in message

> I rack for people all the time, and nobody tips me. ..course I rarely
> wear bunny outfits.

28 Sep 2004 10:42:12
Jake

Pat said:

Jim D. wrote:
> ... In Atlanta in the mid-late 80's I went to a night club
> where attractive young women in bunny outfits (well, no tails as I
recall)
> performed similar duties. Are such attendants still around any more?

Pat says:
Occasionally I'll wander into a place that offers this kind of annoying

"service". I suppose you should tip something. I don't go back.

Pat Johnson
Chicago
Annoying, your dick is either dead or you are the word's most boring
person. Right now I will bet very serious money you are either an
engineer or an accountant, probably an accountant working for an
engineering company. Why do you think people go to eat at hooters, it
sure aint for da food. I go in there for fun, If I want to do some
serious eating I find such a place. Having cool chicks rack the balls
was cool, you go there for fun, for serious play you find a quiet
place. You just can't see the difference betweeen the two can you
Pat...

You are negative on every GD thing being printed here, man, go soak yo
head. If I had a joint, the 20 yr old hottie chicks would rack the
balls and be buck ass nakid, I would have that joint packed. They
would be taught to really spread those legs when they rack. That's my
kind of joint. Where do you play Pat, in the chicago Library? I bet
you ain't never been in the boom boom club with a fist full of dollar
bills sitting on the front row with some hairy snatch a foot from yo
face wit you tounge flopped out pantin like a dog looking in the window
of a meat market have ya??????

Look Pat, boring, stupid dull and negative people drive me literally
nuts, and you pat being da head bozo and leader of da pack here, drives
me bonkers. This one is for you Pat, here is what you are....

The Art of Insults

Insults about Dull & Boring People ::: Watching Paint Dry 1 2 3

You're so dull, you can't even cut butter.

He is a bore and a very dull one at that.

You are about as entertaining as a child's inflatable punching toy. You
bop it, it springs back, you bop it again and you forget it ever
existed. It slowly deflates in an unused corner, then one day you throw
it away.

Most repair manuals are far more interesting than you.

What possessed this nonentity to think he/she/it was capable of
entertaining conversation?

She has a momentary spasm of humor once each month, about five days
into her twelve-day period. Other than that, she's just bitching weakly
about the hubby and the dirty kitchen and the ten starving filthy
children and the plugged up toilet. Easily filtered background noise.

Calling you dull is a compliment to you.

He's in an altered state of consciousness: he's dead.

You have the personality of a damp sponge.

You have the appeal of a moldy sweat sock.

I don't mind that you are talking so long as you don't mind that I'm
not listening.

A bore is someone who persists in holding his own views after we have
enlightened him with ours.

You are so boring that you can't even entertain a doubt.

Keep talking. I always yawn when I'm interested.

Hold still, I'm trying to imagine you with a personality.

If he's a joke, I missed the punch line.

I went to my doctor after we last met. "I have a diagnosis." he said.
"You're allergic to boring faggots."

What a megabore you are, you slow slug-o-thug on a rock-o-cock.

You're about as witty as the worst episode of The Golden Girls, you
tedious rambling fucktard.

You just don't inspire me. You're like watching re-runs of Gilligan's
Island.

He is about as entertaining as a fire in an orphanage.

You passed by my place the other day. Thank you.

For a minute I didn't recognize you. It was the most enjoyable minute I
ever spent.

I'd like to introduce you to some friends of mine- I want to break off
with them.

What do you do for a living? You are living, aren't you?

You only have one bad habit- breathing!

Maybe you'd be less boring once I got to know you - but I don't want to
take a chance.

I hear you're getting a divorce - who's the lucky woman?

Please call me some day, so I can hang up on you.

Stick around while I have a few drinks - it'll make you witty.

If you ever need a friend - I'll go find one.

I'm busy trying to imagine you with a personality.

You make me as happy as an un-tipped waiter.

Tell me all about yourself. I adore horror stories.

You may be down to earth - but not down far enough to suit me.

If you were alive, you'd be a very sick man.

He's like buried treasure. Too bad they dug him up.

I went to McDonalds. I looked at the menu and saw that you could have
an order of 6,9 or 12 Chicken McNuggets. I asked for a half-dozen
nuggets.
'We don't have a half-dozen nuggets,' said the teenager at the counter.
' You don't?' I replied.
'We only have six, nine or twelve,' was the reply.
'So I can't order a half-dozen nuggets but I can order six?'
'That's right.' so I shook my head and ordered six McNuggets.
MAKES YOU WONDER HOW THESE PEOPLE CAN SURVIVE!!

---------------------------------
A lady at work was seen putting a credit card into her floppy drive and
pulling it out very quickly. When inquired as to what she was doing,
she said she was shopping on the internet and they asked for a credit
card number, so she's using the ATM 'thingy'.

---------------------------------
I recently saw a distraught young lady beside her car weeping. 'Do you
need some help?' I asked.
She replied, 'I knew I should have replaced the battery to this remote
door unlocker. Now I can't get into my car. Do you thing they (pointing
to a distant convenient store) would have a battery to fit this?'

'Hmmm, I dunno. Do you have an alarm too?' I asked.

'No, just this remote thingy,' she answered, handing it and the car
keys to me. As I took the key and manually unlocked the door, I
replied, 'Why don't you drive over there and ckeck about the batteries?
It's a long walk.'

--------------------------------
Several years ago, we had an intern who was none too swift. One day he
was typing and turned to a secretary and said, 'I'm almost out of
typing paper. What do I do?' 'Just use copier machine paper,' the
secretary told him. With that, the intern took his last remaining blank
piece of paper, put it on the photocopier and proceeded to make five
'blank' copies.

--------------------------------
I was in a car dealership a while ago, when a large motor home was
towed into the garage. The front of the vehicle was in dire need of
repair and the whole thing generally looked like an extra in 'Twister'.
I asked the manager what had happened. He told me that the driver had
set the 'cruise control' and then went in the back to make a sandwich.

--------------------------------
Sign in a gas station: Coke - 49 cents; 2 for a dollar.

--------------------------------
My neighbor works in the operations department in the central office of
a large bank. Employees in the field call him when they have problems
with their computers. One night he got a call from a woman in one of
the branch banks who had this question: 'I've got smoke coming from the
back of my terminal. Do you guys have a fire downtown?'

--------------------------------
I was sitting in my science class, when the teacher commented that the
next day would be the shortest day of the year. My lab partner became
visibly excited, cheering and clapping. I explained to him that the
amount of daylight changes, not the actual amount of time. Needless to
say, he was very disappointed.

--------------------------------
Police in Radnor, Pennsylvania, interrogated a suspect by placing a
metal colander on his head and connecting it with wires to a photocopy
machine. the message 'He's lying' was placed in the copier, and police
pressed the copy button each time they thought the suspect wasn't
telling the truth.
Believing the 'lie detector' was working, the suspect confessed.

28 Sep 2004 18:05:58

Mike Page wrote:

> I rack for people all the time, and nobody tips me.

Here's one: get a better spot.

(Or show more cleavage...)
pj
chgo

28 Sep 2004 11:50:36
Jake
Re: Another Tipping Question

I was eating at a local Fridays resturant and this guy in the booth
next to me left this piece of paper on his table and dropped a copy of
it on my table and a couple more as he walked out.
I saw him hand the lady up front his bill and the cash and walk out the
door. When his waitress came by and read his note she went into orbit.
I guess that guy got his point across but no way he can ever come back
or they will all be putting snot and spit in his food.

Here was the note he left.

This is a voucher for you to present to your boss to have him pay you a
tip. I have awarded you a 25% tip; I am generous since it is not my
money. Take the amount of my bill, ad your 25% tip on here
_________________ Present this to the owner and receive your money.
This is also a protest from me on the entire tip policy in this
country. It has become a joke and I no longer take part in it. A tip
is to insure prompt service, but my tip to you does none of that, you
expect a tip and do nothing to earn it. You simply write down my order
and turn it into the kitchen; a 3rd grader could perform that function.
Your boss hires a cheap illegal alien who carries out the food. All
you carry to me is my bill after you ignore me most of the evening.
Most of you are rude and dumb, some do not even smile, 99% of all food
orders I place; you forget and or screw something up. In my experience
now only 1 out of 100 waiters now takes an order for two without
forgetting something I order or ask for, that is how bad you have all
become. None of you really give a s***. You are worthless, there
should be a terminal at every table where I can email my order direct
into the kitchen and you all be eliminated. Then the wet back can haul
my food out to my table when it's cooked. He is the only one I see
really working or busting his butt in this joint. This is the guy who
should get the tip, not you.

The tip, used to mean, to insure prompt service. If you walked around
in a daze and were slovenly and rude and lazy; you did not get a tip.
If you were very friendly and worked hard to make my evening right, you
were rewarded with a tip. There was no set fee I had to give you; I
gave you what you earned. Now, you demand, expect at a minimum I must
award you 15% even if you provide no services to me and are lousy at
your job and performance.

There is no service any more in a restaurant. Most are nothing now but
fancy burger kings. Even people at burger kings now have a tip jar and
want a hand out.
The entire world has its hand out. Blacks don't tip; they stiff
every white person who waits on them. I don't tip nobody, it does
not matter what color you are. I just did not want to think I forget
your tip, I did not. No I have not stiffed you, ask the owner to pay
you my tip and hand him my voucher, see if he stiffs you, my bet is he
does, because he does not care about you, which is why you turn over
and come and go like street cars, because this jobs sucks. The only
one making any money here is the boss, it sure is not you. If he does
not pay you the 25% tip I ordered, then he is the scum bag here, not
me.

You don't even get the tip I hand you, you don't work for my tip,
all tips are going in one pot and you take your cut out of that after
the owner steals his cut from you also to take your tips to pay the
illegals in the kitchen. Of course you palm out some under the table
so you all are stealing from each other are you not? You are working
in a den of thieves. That corrupt systems of sharing tips then removes
all of your incentive to provide service to me and removes my incentive
to give you a tip. This is why most of you act like lazy bums.
Because none of you any more are working hard in order to receive a
tip.

Some of our top exclusive restaurants like Joel do not even pay its
waiters the $5.15 per hr minimum wage, they pay $2.13 and they expect
me, to pay your salary. Why should I pay your salary, your boss should
pay your salary, not me. Do you go into a bank and pay the teller 15%
to wait on you and take your money and deposits, no; the bank pays the
tellers salary. In the grocery store, do you tip 15% to get your
groceries sacked? Then why should I pay 15% for you to carry my food
order to the kitchen?

If we all stop tipping and the owner now has to pay and support you and
we don't, they will get smart and get rid of all of you and put
computer terminals at each table, I can type in my order direct to the
kitchen and Paco who has no green card will come running out with it.
The price of the food will not go up either because competition against
other places will hold it where it is now.
The bite will come out of the owner's ass now, not out of mine.

Sorry, I am not taking my hard earned money to support you while your
boss saves 15% on his payroll and then lives like a king and drive a
$75.000 car. Let him pay you that 15% and drive a Ford to work instead
of his Porsche. He can afford to pay you a decent salary and any one
paying any employee minimum wage is paying him $5000 under the poverty
level, so what kind of boss is that, or what kind of job is that. Your
boss is f**kin you and he is f**kin me as well. So I say tonight, lets
f**k him for a change.

If you want my tip, here it is, get a real job, and stop begging for
people like me to support you and if you don't get your 15% you get
pissed and think I am a scum bag. The scum bag is the owner of this
restaurant, so you give him this voucher and ask him to pay up your
tip, he pays you your wages tonight, and I don't. Down with all
tipping, it is a useless and corrupt system that only screws me, the
customer and keeps you trapped in a dead end job going now where fast.

The worst of this is when the restaurant automatically applies a tip to
your bill so you are forced to make his employee payroll for him. Then
none of the waiters have any incentive to bust their butt for no one.
If you want to insure lousy waiters and service, this is how you do it.
To show you how corrupt these owners have become it was on national TV
on 9-19-04 where a man went into an Italian restaurant the Sopranos and
they put on his bill an automatic 18% tip which the customer refused to
pay when he left because the service was terrible as well as the food.
He paid the bill for the food, but not the tip. The owner called a
cop and had him arrested for the $13 tip, theft of services, he was
booked and faced a year in jail. I rest my case on that; there is your
total corruption and greed of this tip fiasco system. When this out
rage was exposed, the greedy owner dropped the charges and is now being
sued by the jailed ex customer. When he ends up and settles out of
court and pays his lawyer, he is now out thousands of dollars for his
stupidity. This does show you what the owners think of and feel about
their customers. They have been f**kin us for so long that they expect
and demand up to keep bending over and keep getting it up our a**es.
We'll here is one guy who says enough is enough, down with tipping.

I am in sales; I eat out for lunch and dinner 4 nights a week. I
spend $200 a week on food, $100 on booze which is $15,600 a year, I
save the 15% tips which amounts to $1500. I take that money and save
it to have a week's vacation in Hawaii every year. Molokai mo
bettah. I'll send you a post card. Tell your boss how I feel, I
say, he should pay you a livable wage, you are his responsibility to
support and salary and that is not my job. That is his job. If he has
a problem with this, have him call me and I can discuss this with him.
My phone number is 1-800-328-7448. By the way on my way out, I dropped
one of these vouchers on each of the tables you are waiting on. I also
taped one of these on the outside of the front door. Everyone will
also give you 25%, so I increased your salary tonight by 10%, so say
thanks to me for taking so good care of you when you ignored me most of
the night and have a nice day.

28 Sep 2004 17:15:09
R. Hugh Arnold
Re: Another Tipping Question

yes, they're called hookers!
they work strictly for tips
--

R. Hugh Arnold
Secretary/League Director
"Jim D." <jd_12345@removeYahoo.com > wrote in message
> Interesting thread about tipping below. I have another. Years ago there
> were table attendants who hung up your jacket, brushed off the table
between
> games, racked the balls, emptied pockets, etc. Usually they were retired
> guys or men who probably couldn't handle a more complicated job who worked
> strictly for tips. In Atlanta in the mid-late 80's I went to a night club
> where attractive young women in bunny outfits (well, no tails as I recall)
> performed similar duties. Are such attendants still around any more? If
> so, what is proper tipping etiquette?
>
> Jim D.

28 Sep 2004 21:41:38
Bob Jewett
Re: Another Tipping Question

Jim D. <jd_12345@removeyahoo.com > wrote:

> ... Are such attendants still around any more? If so, what is
> proper tipping etiquette?

There is a room in this area (Broken Rack) where someone from the
counter will normally take the balls to your table and rack for
you the first game. Since most people also get drinks from the
full bar, I suspect the tipping is all combined.

--

Bob Jewett
http://www.sfbilliards.com/

28 Sep 2004 19:02:04
pltrgyst
Re: Another Tipping Question

On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:41:38 +0000 (UTC), Bob Jewett <jewett@sfbilliards.com >
wrote:

>There is a room in this area (Broken Rack) where someone from the
>counter will normally take the balls to your table and rack for
>you the first game. Since most people also get drinks from the
>full bar, I suspect the tipping is all combined.

One in downtown Baltimore does the same thing.

-- Larry

29 Sep 2004 06:34:42
shaxbeard@juno.com

pltrgyst wrote:
> On Tue, 28 Sep 2004 21:41:38 +0000 (UTC), Bob Jewett
<jewett@sfbilliards.com >
> wrote:
>
> >There is a room in this area (Broken Rack) where someone from the
> >counter will normally take the balls to your table and rack for
> >you the first game. Since most people also get drinks from the
> >full bar, I suspect the tipping is all combined.
>
> One in downtown Baltimore does the same thing.
>
> -- Larry

Edgar's Billiards Club, right by the harbor. I went in there a few
months ago with a friend. We were going to play 9-ball, but the girl
racked for 8-ball. When I told her we wanted 9, she just looked at me
like I was speaking a foreign language.

I don't think any of those girls were hired for their keen billiards
sense.

Rob

29 Sep 2004 10:12:40
Mike Page
Re: Another Tipping Question

In article <1096464882.002674.243050@h37g2000oda.googlegroups.com >,
"shaxbeard@juno.com" <shaxbeard@juno.com > wrote:
[...]

> > One in downtown Baltimore does the same thing.
> >
> > -- Larry
>
> Edgar's Billiards Club, right by the harbor. I went in there a few
> months ago with a friend. We were going to play 9-ball, but the girl
> racked for 8-ball. When I told her we wanted 9, she just looked at me
> like I was speaking a foreign language.
>
> I don't think any of those girls were hired for their keen billiards
> sense.
>
> Rob

Don't be so hard on them Rob. They might have had no 9-ball racks
available.

29 Sep 2004 21:27:46
David Hakala
Re: Another Tipping Question

How do you *any* exercise playing pool this way?!