28 Sep 2004 21:24:57
Ratchet
4 days and counting !!

til Jimbo's Jamboree !! Just 1 Question - Do they serve N/A beer at this
shindig and if so what kind ??

>> Ratchet << might have to stock up just in case ;-)

28 Sep 2004 22:11:14
Jake
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Oh hell yes, I drink beer, where in the hell is my invite dudes.
Jake da Wonder doggie

29 Sep 2004 07:00:58
MIKE JANIS
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Ratchet" <ratchet@greenapple.com > wrote in message >

Just 1 Question - Do they serve N/A beer at this
> shindig and if so what kind ??

That's the way I like my designated driver to think :-)

Just make sure they have plenty of Budweiser and Jeager Bombs for me ;-)

The last time I saw NA beer was when I was a young lad at about the age of
10 or so and we called it Near Beer.

Mj

29 Sep 2004 03:57:17
Steve.
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Ratchet <ratchet@greenapple.com > wrote in message news:<ytadnT9T1sOBpMfcRVn-jA@greenapple.com>...
> til Jimbo's Jamboree !! Just 1 Question - Do they serve N/A beer at this
> shindig and if so what kind ??
>

> >> Ratchet << might have to stock up just in case ;-)

You can drink soda water and cranberry juice with me. ;-)

29 Sep 2004 07:08:28
David The Hamster Malone
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Ratchet <ratchet@greenapple.com > wrote in message news:<ytadnT9T1sOBpMfcRVn-jA@greenapple.com>...

> til Jimbo's Jamboree !! Just 1 Question - Do they serve N/A beer at this
> shindig and if so what kind ??

Tom, don't be concerned, most american beers are non-alchoholic...
that buzz you get from drinking a dozen or so is simply an allergic
reaction to all the chemical additives they put in it...

David "The Hamster" Malone.

29 Sep 2004 11:24:13
pltrgyst
Re: 4 days and counting !!

On 29 Sep 2004 07:08:28 -0700, malone@ca.ibm.com (David The Hamster Malone)
wrote:

>Tom, don't be concerned, most american beers are non-alchoholic...
>that buzz you get from drinking a dozen or so is simply an allergic
>reaction to all the chemical additives they put in it...

The odd point about your comment is that Canadian beer is much, much worse --
primarily lager, and weak, to boot. ( Is that why you were drinking Guinness?)
Ditto Australian beer (except for one Cooper ale). I've never understood why.

Perhaps you can educate us southern heathens by bringing down a Canadian
six-pack that can compete with the brews from Anchor, Sierra Nevada, New
Belgium, etc. Maybe Jim can add a beer tasting event to the schedule. 8;)

-- Larry

29 Sep 2004 12:01:59
Glenn Deneweth
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"pltrgyst"
> The odd point about your comment is that Canadian beer is much, much
worse --
> primarily lager, and weak, to boot. ( Is that why you were drinking
Guinness?)
> Ditto Australian beer (except for one Cooper ale). I've never understood
why.

> Perhaps you can educate us southern heathens by bringing down a Canadian
> six-pack that can compete with the brews from Anchor, Sierra Nevada, New
> Belgium, etc. Maybe Jim can add a beer tasting event to the schedule. 8;)

Maybe you should tell Dave which of the 300 different brands of beer you may
want to try? I am assume you must of tried several of these in order for
you to form your opinion? :o)

www.TheBeerStore.ca

Glenn<---- My favourite store....

29 Sep 2004 09:24:11
Ratchet
Re: 4 days and counting !!

MIKE JANIS wrote:
> "Ratchet" <ratchet@greenapple.com> wrote in message >
>
> Just 1 Question - Do they serve N/A beer at this
>
>>shindig and if so what kind ??
>

> That's the way I like my designated driver to think :-)
>
> Just make sure they have plenty of Budweiser and Jeager Bombs for me ;-)
>
> The last time I saw NA beer was when I was a young lad at about the age of
> 10 or so and we called it Near Beer.
>
> Mj

LOL !! This will make you feel even better , I have not toucheda drop
in 12 years !!

>> Ratchet << FORCED to see the LITE ! hehehe

29 Sep 2004 09:34:36
Aunty Dan
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Drinking N/A beer is like putting a plastic ferrule and a screw-in tip on a
Southwest. Sure you can do it, but why would you want to?
--
Aunty Dan (Remove "X" from "XHotmail.com" to reply directly)
"For 'tis the sport to have the engineer

> MIKE JANIS wrote:
>> "Ratchet" <ratchet@greenapple.com> wrote in message >
>>
>> Just 1 Question - Do they serve N/A beer at this
>>
>>>shindig and if so what kind ??
>>

>> That's the way I like my designated driver to think :-)
>>
>> Just make sure they have plenty of Budweiser and Jeager Bombs for me ;-)
>>
>> The last time I saw NA beer was when I was a young lad at about the age
>> of
>> 10 or so and we called it Near Beer.
>>
>> Mj
>>

> LOL !! This will make you feel even better , I have not toucheda drop in
> 12 years !!
>
> >> Ratchet << FORCED to see the LITE ! hehehe

29 Sep 2004 10:33:47
Jake
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Screw da pool, just make it a beer drinking contest, when you fall over
you lose, no, on 2nd thought smorgie would show and win hands down.
Jake da wonder doggie.

29 Sep 2004 11:33:06
misterpoole
Re: 4 days and counting !!

pltrgyst wrote:
> On 29 Sep 2004 07:08:28 -0700, malone@ca.ibm.com (David The Hamster
Malone)
> wrote:
>
> >Tom, don't be concerned, most american beers are non-alchoholic...
> >that buzz you get from drinking a dozen or so is simply an allergic
> >reaction to all the chemical additives they put in it...
>
> The odd point about your comment is that Canadian beer is much, much
worse --
> primarily lager, and weak, to boot. ( Is that why you were drinking
Guinness?)
> Ditto Australian beer (except for one Cooper ale). I've never
understood why.

Australian Beer is stronger than US beer. The Fosters served in the US
is not 'real' Fosters...I think its brewed somewhere in Canada.
Barrie -- > stopped drinking Fosters a day after I arrived in the US.

29 Sep 2004 18:39:44
Jimbo Ct
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Tom S: > Do they serve N/A beer at this
>shindig and if so what kind ??

N/A Beer what the hell is that??? And what purpose would it serve?? All the Bad
taste of beer and none of the good side effects??? I never understood that
crap, but I hate the taste of Beer anyway.

Jim <---Yeah we have O'Douls

29 Sep 2004 18:46:49
MIKE JANIS
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Ratchet" <ratchet@greenapple.com > wrote in message

> LOL !! This will make you feel even better , I have not toucheda drop
> in 12 years !!
>
> >> Ratchet << FORCED to see the LITE ! hehehe

I haven't not had a beer in 15 years and when I see the light I know it's
time to go to sleep.

29 Sep 2004 12:22:43
Ratchet
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Jimbo Ct wrote:
> Tom S: > Do they serve N/A beer at this
>
>>shindig and if so what kind ??
>

> N/A Beer what the hell is that??? And what purpose would it serve?? All the Bad
> taste of beer and none of the good side effects??? I never understood that
> crap, but I hate the taste of Beer anyway.
>
> Jim <---Yeah we have O'Douls

Well , after 6 DUI's ( Long story ! My dad pissed off some cops by
screwing their wives , go figure !) and spending Thanksgiving and
Christmas in Jail while my kids were babies , I just said the hell with
it and hung up my funnel !
Odouls really sucks bad, my choice of N/A is first Old Milwaukee or
Busch , I like the taste of beer in my faux brew !!

>> Ratchet << designated driver extrordinaire !

29 Sep 2004 15:38:36
Donald Tees
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Ratchet wrote:

> Jimbo Ct wrote:
>
>> Tom S: > Do they serve N/A beer at this
>>
>>> shindig and if so what kind ??
>>

>> N/A Beer what the hell is that??? And what purpose would it serve??
>> All the Bad
>> taste of beer and none of the good side effects??? I never understood
>> that
>> crap, but I hate the taste of Beer anyway.
>>
>> Jim <---Yeah we have O'Douls
>

> Well , after 6 DUI's ( Long story ! My dad pissed off some cops by
> screwing their wives , go figure !) and spending Thanksgiving and
> Christmas in Jail while my kids were babies , I just said the hell with
> it and hung up my funnel !
> Odouls really sucks bad, my choice of N/A is first Old Milwaukee or
> Busch , I like the taste of beer in my faux brew !!
>
> >> Ratchet << designated driver extrordinaire !

Wise man. Now if everyone smoked pot instead of drinking (like the good
lord intended) we'd all be ok ...

Donald
;<)

29 Sep 2004 20:01:46
MIKE JANIS
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Donald Tees" <donald_tees@sympatico.ca > wrote in message

> Wise man. Now if everyone smoked pot instead of drinking (like the good
> lord intended) we'd all be ok ...
>
> Donald
> ;<)

It's a lot easier to drink a beer while driving than to light a bowl.

Gulp, Mj

29 Sep 2004 16:45:44
Donald Tees
Re: 4 days and counting !!

MIKE JANIS wrote:
> "Donald Tees" <donald_tees@sympatico.ca> wrote in message
>

>>Wise man. Now if everyone smoked pot instead of drinking (like the good
>>lord intended) we'd all be ok ...
>>
>>Donald
>>;<)
>>

> It's a lot easier to drink a beer while driving than to light a bowl.
>
> Gulp, Mj

After 40 years of driving 50,000 miles a year, I have sold my car. I am
now a net creature. If I cannot commute by net, then I won't take the
job. Strange feeling. Renders that problem moot though ... ;<)

Donald

29 Sep 2004 22:05:49
pltrgyst
Re: 4 days and counting !!

On Wed, 29 Sep 2004 12:01:59 -0400, "Glenn Deneweth" <gdeneweth@ccogeco.ca >
wrote:

>Maybe you should tell Dave which of the 300 different brands of beer you may
>want to try? I am assume you must of tried several of these in order for
>you to form your opinion? :o)

I'm just ragging Dave because he was drinking Guinness when we met the Hamsters
in Toronto a few days ago. We sampled Rickard Amber, which was the next darkest
brew we found in Toronto. It was an average, light-bodied ale, but still better
than any Canadian beer I've experienced that is widely distributed.

We've tried all the ales we've found as we stumbled across the swath of Canada
from Quebec City, down through Montreal, Toronto, and scenic downtown Sarnia.
While I'm sure there are many excellent Canadian microbrews, the only ones we've
come across were at Kingston Brewing Company (one of the best brewpubs I've ever
found).

Perhaps you can suggest some fine Canadian ales -- IPAs, porter, or stout --
that we could look for either in eastern Canada or in Vancouver?

-- Larry

30 Sep 2004 01:01:25
Tom Smith
Re: 4 days and counting !!

What kind of lamer is TheBeerStore? No Pete's Wicked Ale (America's finest
brew) or any of the Samuel Smith's line (the world's finest brews.) If they
didn't carry Newcastle Brown Ale, they'd have no excuse for remaining in
business.

Tom --- > If you can't chew it, it's bad beer.

"Glenn Deneweth" <gdeneweth@ccogeco.ca > wrote in message

> "pltrgyst"
> > The odd point about your comment is that Canadian beer is much, much
> worse --
> > primarily lager, and weak, to boot. ( Is that why you were drinking
> Guinness?)
> > Ditto Australian beer (except for one Cooper ale). I've never understood
> why.
> >
> > Perhaps you can educate us southern heathens by bringing down a Canadian
> > six-pack that can compete with the brews from Anchor, Sierra Nevada, New
> > Belgium, etc. Maybe Jim can add a beer tasting event to the schedule.
8;)

> Maybe you should tell Dave which of the 300 different brands of beer you
may
> want to try? I am assume you must of tried several of these in order for
> you to form your opinion? :o)
>
> www.TheBeerStore.ca
>
> Glenn<---- My favourite store....

30 Sep 2004 06:48:36
David The Hamster Malone
Re: 4 days and counting !!

pltrgyst <pltrgyst@spamlessxhost.org > wrote in message news:<0spml05uja81jgg77i1emhmsuubuc76p8q@4ax.com>...

Lol... I was taking off for an all afternoon meeting and left that
post hanging out there. I knew all hell would break loose.

> I'm just ragging Dave because he was drinking Guinness when we met the Hamsters in Toronto a few days ago.

Ahem... I drink Guinness because I like something light from time to
time.

> While I'm sure there are many excellent Canadian microbrews, the only ones
> we've come across were at Kingston Brewing Company

You mean you've been in Toronto and not bothered to visit the Granite
Brewery (I think they have one in Halifax as well)?

> Perhaps you can suggest some fine Canadian ales -- IPAs, porter, or stout --
> that we could look for either in eastern Canada or in Vancouver?

Let me know the next time you're in TO and I'll buy you a few for
comparison purposes. I usually drink dark ales or imported bitters.
OTOH, we really need Gideon for this - he's the only guy I know who
has multiple ales on tap in his living room.

David "The Hamster" Malone.

30 Sep 2004 10:15:50
pltrgyst
Re: 4 days and counting !!

On 30 Sep 2004 06:48:36 -0700, malone@ca.ibm.com (David The Hamster Malone)
wrote:

>OTOH, we really need Gideon for this - he's the only guy I know who
>has multiple ales on tap in his living room.

Gideon *must* be single. Even so, I tip my hat to him. Wow.

-- Larry

30 Sep 2004 10:26:06
pltrgyst
Re: 4 days and counting !!

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:01:25 -0700, "Tom Smith" <dial4bux@adelphia.net > wrote:

>.... No Pete's Wicked Ale (America's finest brew)...

Kinda hard to think of anything that's contract brewed -- in where, New Ulm,
Minnesota? -- as "America's finest brew." I think of Pete's as the beer
equivalent of $tarbucks coffee -- burnt, lacking depth and nuance.

If I had to pick America's finest brew, in general distribution, it would
probably be Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada Porter.

If not in general distribution, probably New Belgium's Abbey dubbel, since the
demise of Celis Grand Cru.

For brewpubs, 1) Boston Beer Works, across from Fenway, (which has multiple
fabulous porters and stouts on tap any any time), 2) Coopersmith's in Fort
Collins, CO.

>...or any of the Samuel Smith's line (the world's finest brews.)

Agreed to be a fine candidate (especially the Taddyporter).

-- Larry

30 Sep 2004 12:49:56
Larry
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"misterpoole" <misterpoole@hotmail.com > wrote:

>Australian Beer is stronger than US beer. The Fosters served in the US
>is not 'real' Fosters...I think its brewed somewhere in Canada.
>Barrie --> stopped drinking Fosters a day after I arrived in the US.

By "strength", I was referring to flavor, not abv. Fosters, like most
popular American mass-market lager, is dog piss, IMO.

-- Larry

30 Sep 2004 13:02:51
Bob Johnson
Re: 4 days and counting !!

I've often wondered how someone would know when something tastes like dog
piss, or donkey piss, or horse shit for that matter. I've always been
rather adventurous when it came to trying different foods and drinks, but
there's definitely a limit to what I'll try!

--
Bob Johnson, Denver, Co.
bobj@cris.com

"Larry" <pltrgyst@hotpop.com > wrote in message
> "misterpoole" <misterpoole@hotmail.com> wrote:

Fosters, like most popular American mass-market lager, is dog piss, IMO.

> -- Larry

30 Sep 2004 10:19:15
David The Hamster Malone
Re: 4 days and counting !!

pltrgyst <pltrgyst@spamlessxhost.org > wrote in message news:<0spml05uja81jgg77i1emhmsuubuc76p8q@4ax.com>...

> We sampled Rickard Amber, which was the next darkest
> brew we found in Toronto. It was an average, light-bodied ale, but still better
> than any Canadian beer I've experienced that is widely distributed.

BTW... Rickard Amber? I don't think there is such a beast. I imagine
you were drinking their honey brown. They make a honey brown, a pale
ale, and a red. It's brewed by Molson's and the red, at least, is
rather widely distributed in Canada.

David "The Hamster" Malone.

30 Sep 2004 14:11:35
Larry
Re: 4 days and counting !!

malone@ca.ibm.com (David The Hamster Malone) wrote:

>pltrgyst <pltrgyst@spamlessxhost.org> wrote in message news:<0spml05uja81jgg77i1emhmsuubuc76p8q@4ax.com>...
>
>> We sampled Rickard Amber, which was the next darkest
>> brew we found in Toronto. It was an average, light-bodied ale, but still better
>> than any Canadian beer I've experienced that is widely distributed.
>
>BTW... Rickard Amber? I don't think there is such a beast. I imagine
>you were drinking their honey brown. They make a honey brown, a pale
>ale, and a red. It's brewed by Molson's and the red, at least, is
>rather widely distributed in Canada.

Sorry, it was the red. I must be color blind (and have a poor memory,
to boot).

-- Larry

30 Sep 2004 14:12:47
Larry
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Bob Johnson" <bobj@cris.com > wrote:

>I've often wondered how someone would know when something tastes like dog
>piss, or donkey piss, or horse shit for that matter. I've always been
>rather adventurous when it came to trying different foods and drinks, but
>there's definitely a limit to what I'll try!

I suspect we're all extrapolating based on smell.

-- Larry (has never eaten yellow snow...)

30 Sep 2004 11:12:53
Tom Smith
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Last I looked, my Pete's came from their brewery in No. Carolina. I save my
con-
sumption of Anchor Steam and Sierra Nevada for those occasions which call
for the flavor of fresh-ground aluminum. Glad we agree on Sam'l Smith; my
preference is for the Nut Brown Ale and Oatmeal Stout. If you can find
them, I recommend Arrogant
Bastard and Double Bastard, ales brewed by a small outfit in San Diego.

Tom

> On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 01:01:25 -0700, "Tom Smith" <dial4bux@adelphia.net>
wrote:

> >.... No Pete's Wicked Ale (America's finest brew)...
>
> Kinda hard to think of anything that's contract brewed -- in where, New
Ulm,
> Minnesota? -- as "America's finest brew." I think of Pete's as the beer
> equivalent of $tarbucks coffee -- burnt, lacking depth and nuance.
>
> If I had to pick America's finest brew, in general distribution, it would
> probably be Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada Porter.
>
> If not in general distribution, probably New Belgium's Abbey dubbel, since
the
> demise of Celis Grand Cru.
>
> For brewpubs, 1) Boston Beer Works, across from Fenway, (which has
multiple
> fabulous porters and stouts on tap any any time), 2) Coopersmith's in Fort
> Collins, CO.
>
> >...or any of the Samuel Smith's line (the world's finest brews.)
>
> Agreed to be a fine candidate (especially the Taddyporter).
>
> -- Larry

01 Oct 2004 20:15:35
Barry
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Anyone coming in Friday that would like to get together at Action, Friday
evening to get in some table time, let me know, I need some warmup....
Actually, I need some lessons...

email or post .... Barry C. < racks alot........

01 Oct 2004 00:31:23
MIKE JANIS
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Mike Janis (me) and ratchet will be there Friday morning. Call me in the
evening. My cell phone should work Ok up there. My cell # is 800-200-7665.

Mj

"Barry" <barry@cameronnospacues.com > wrote in message
> Anyone coming in Friday that would like to get together at Action, Friday
> evening to get in some table time, let me know, I need some warmup....
> Actually, I need some lessons...
>
> email or post .... Barry C. < racks alot........

30 Sep 2004 21:34:27
Sherm Adamson
Re: 4 days and counting !!

I think Jimbo and a group (myself included) are planning a trip in to
"Ground Zero", dinner in NYC and the UPA tourney Friday night. Maybe you
guys would want to join us.
My cell number is in my sig line below, if you want to call me. My flight is
due in New Haven at about 2:35PM. See ya's there! I'm looking forward to it!

Sherm >> My bags are packed... I'm ready to go...
aka "cuesmith" in yahoo
Sherm Custom Billiard Cues by,
Sherman Adamson
3352 Nine Mile Rd., Cincinnati Ohio 45255
Shop (513)553-2172, Cell (513)509-9152
http://www.shermcue.com Over 20 years experience
almost a decade in "The American Cuemakers Association"

Sending unsolicited commercial email (spam) to this account incurs a fee of
"Barry" <barry@cameronnospacues.com > wrote in message
> Anyone coming in Friday that would like to get together at Action, Friday
> evening to get in some table time, let me know, I need some warmup....
> Actually, I need some lessons...
>
> email or post .... Barry C. < racks alot........

30 Sep 2004 23:53:36
pltrgyst
Re: 4 days and counting !!

On Thu, 30 Sep 2004 11:12:53 -0700, "Tom Smith" <dial4bux@adelphia.net > wrote:

> If you can find
>them, I recommend Arrogant
>Bastard and Double Bastard, ales brewed by a small outfit in San Diego.

I've had them -- good stuff. The west coast and Colorado have it all over the
rest of the country when it comes to sheer numbers of excellent lrews.

-- Larry

01 Oct 2004 11:18:11
Barry C.
Re: 4 days and counting !!

I'll give a call......probably after 5 PM and we'll get together... Unless
you hookup with Jimmy to the city.

Barry C.

--

cameroncues.com
"MIKE JANIS" <mikejanisNOSPAM@sbcglobal.net > wrote in message
> Mike Janis (me) and ratchet will be there Friday morning. Call me in the
> evening. My cell phone should work Ok up there. My cell # is
800-200-7665.

> Mj
>
> "Barry" <barry@cameronnospacues.com> wrote in message
> > Anyone coming in Friday that would like to get together at Action,
Friday
> > evening to get in some table time, let me know, I need some warmup....
> > Actually, I need some lessons...
> >
> > email or post .... Barry C. < racks alot........

01 Oct 2004 08:44:43
Glenn Deneweth
Re: 4 days and counting !!

pltrgyst writes:

> I'm just ragging Dave because he was drinking Guinness when we met the
Hamsters
> in Toronto a few days ago

I figured as much. I like Guinness so much, that's the name of my
dog...that and he looks like a pint of guinness (Pug)

. We sampled Rickard Amber, which was the next darkest
> brew we found in Toronto. It was an average, light-bodied ale, but still
better
> than any Canadian beer I've experienced that is widely distributed.

I keep Rickard's on tap at my home. Where I live we have a Brewery called
Walkerville, about 1 block from where Canadian Club is brewed, it is a very
good beer. They also bottle it, email me your address and I will pack them
properly and mail you a six pack.... I am not sure if it's sold outside of
the Windsor area.

Glenn

01 Oct 2004 12:47:37
Glenn Deneweth
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Larry writes:
> By "strength", I was referring to flavor, not abv. Fosters, like most
> popular American mass-market lager, is dog piss, IMO.
>
> -- Larry

My friend moved there 2 years ago, and he states that the locals there don't
even drink Fosters. It's more of a marketing campaign in the states than
anything else.

Glenn

01 Oct 2004 10:50:55
Gideon Forrest
Re: 4 days and counting !!

malone@ca.ibm.com (David The Hamster Malone) wrote in message news:<176e16e9.0409300548.2ffe6404@posting.google.com >...
> pltrgyst <pltrgyst@spamlessxhost.org> wrote in message news:<0spml05uja81jgg77i1emhmsuubuc76p8q@4ax.com>...
>
> Lol... I was taking off for an all afternoon meeting and left that
> post hanging out there. I knew all hell would break loose.
>
> > I'm just ragging Dave because he was drinking Guinness when we met the Hamsters in Toronto a few days ago.
>
> Ahem... I drink Guinness because I like something light from time to
> time.
>
> > While I'm sure there are many excellent Canadian microbrews, the only ones
> > we've come across were at Kingston Brewing Company
>
> You mean you've been in Toronto and not bothered to visit the Granite
> Brewery (I think they have one in Halifax as well)?
>
> > Perhaps you can suggest some fine Canadian ales -- IPAs, porter, or stout --
> > that we could look for either in eastern Canada or in Vancouver?
>
> Let me know the next time you're in TO and I'll buy you a few for
> comparison purposes. I usually drink dark ales or imported bitters.
> OTOH, we really need Gideon for this - he's the only guy I know who
> has multiple ales on tap in his living room.

Did I hear my name?

Okay, here we go. Do visit the Granite Brewery - a far better
brew-pub than the Kingston one. The Granite Peculiar is available in
the beer store, but their excellent bitters (they make a dry-hopped
one and a 'regular' one) are far better.

In terms of good Ontario mircobrews, I would try:

(a) Almost anything from the Wellington County Brewery. They make an
excellent Arkell's Best Bitter; a great amber-coloured Iron Duke
Strong Ale (6.5%); and about 1/2 dozen other good brews.

(b) The Black Oak Nut Brown Ale, or their Pale Ale. Yummy stuff. If
you are lucky, you may find on tap in the late fall or winter a good
porter ("Hairy Porter"), which, while not quite as good as the
spectacular English Fuller's London Porter, is still excellent.

(c) Creemore Springs Lager (I know its a lager, but it is excellent
and available quite widely in many pubs without lots of mircos);

(d) Muskoka Cream Ale (great summer beer);

(f) St. Ambroise (spelling?) Oatmeal Stout; and

(g) If you like Belgian-style beers (which I don't, really), almost
anything from Unibroue (Blanche de Chambly, Fin Du Monde, etc.).

There are many others, but I have to get back to work! If you are in
Toronto, be sure to visit one of the increasing number of pubs
specializing in Micros, such as C'est What and the Blue Meanie, where
you can not only get many of these beers on tap (as they should be
sampled), but you can also get a few of them served
"Cask-Conditioned", i.e., without CO2 and served with a traditional
hand pump. It makes a big difference.

Gideon<----@rogers.com, not earthlink.net

01 Oct 2004 10:54:57
Gideon Forrest
Re: 4 days and counting !!

pltrgyst <pltrgyst@spamlessxhost.org > wrote in message news:<975ol0pie4jpd6hb3ivqj2huuo2qbqc2fo@4ax.com>...
> On 30 Sep 2004 06:48:36 -0700, malone@ca.ibm.com (David The Hamster Malone)
> wrote:
>
> >OTOH, we really need Gideon for this - he's the only guy I know who
> >has multiple ales on tap in his living room.
>
> Gideon *must* be single. Even so, I tip my hat to him. Wow.

Well, my keg fridge does fit two kegs, but I only have two kegs on at
a time if I'm having a party, since I can't go through it that fast.
My girlfriend has not tried to get rid of the beer fridge or the pool
table (although her mother has suggested it).

Gideon

02 Oct 2004 06:13:48
GORDON MATHESON
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Gideon Forrest" <gideonf@earthlink.net > wrote in message

> My girlfriend has not tried to get rid of the beer fridge or the pool
> table (although her mother has suggested it).

I see the handwriting on the wall.
G. - suggests knocking off the metro man beer drinking for a while and
sampling a few new motherless girlfriends

02 Oct 2004 10:57:02
Fred Agnir
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Tom Smith" <dial4bux@adelphia.net > wrote
> What kind of lamer is TheBeerStore? No Pete's Wicked Ale (America's
finest
> brew)

Yikes. As much as I used to like Pete's, their taste has gone down
dramatically. Aren't they now owned by a major manufacturer?

> or any of the Samuel Smith's line (the world's finest brews.)

I think you need to redefine "world." If they're exporting it to the U.S.,
you've got to believe they've got better at home.

Fred <~~~ globetrotter just back from the Oktoberfest

02 Oct 2004 11:00:41
Fred Agnir
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"pltrgyst" <pltrgyst@spamlessxhost.org > wrote

> If I had to pick America's finest brew, in general distribution, it would
> probably be Anchor Steam or Sierra Nevada Porter.

Tough caveat with "general distribution." Sierra Nevada Porter for porter
drinkers is a great choice.

I was able to pick up Rogue's Shakespeare Stout in Massachusetts (it's from
the Rogue Brewery in Oregon). So, if you consider that to be "general
distribution," then I haven't found a beer that could touch it.

Fred

02 Oct 2004 12:28:34
Fred Agnir
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Glenn Deneweth" wrote:

> Maybe you should tell Dave which of the 300 different brands of beer you
may
> want to try? I am assume you must of tried several of these in order for
> you to form your opinion? :o)

I assume you've privately asked Dave the same question about his opinion of
U.S. beers?

Fred

02 Oct 2004 12:34:13
Fred Agnir
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Ratchet" <ratchet@greenapple.com > wrote

> Odouls really sucks bad, my choice of N/A is first Old Milwaukee or
> Busch , I like the taste of beer in my faux brew !!

I just had my first Alkohol Frei Loewenbraeu (Lowenbrau) whilst in Munich.
Surprisingly very good taste. Malty and rich. I haven't had any other N/A
that has come close. Except maybe another German import, Clausthaler. The
Lowenbrau was better, IMO.

Fred <~~~ not a big fan of german beers

02 Oct 2004 20:37:39
Tom Smith
Re: 4 days and counting !!

As much as I dislike having to admit to my first error, ever, I concur with
Larry and Fred. I've been drinking from a supply of Pete's I bought some
time back at a pleasant discount, when it was still coming out of N.
Carolina. I checked out both of my local retailers today and found their
current stock was bottled in Utica, NY. I bought a single for test
purposes, threw away half. UGH. It'll be a sad day when my stash is gone.

As to the Sam'l Smith, I've had it here (SoCal) and Tadcaster and London.
No difference that I could taste, although I admit to being a lifetime
smoker whose palate may not be top shelf any more.

Tom --- > thinks happiness is a pint of good brown ale and a bowl of good
herb

"Fred Agnir" <ohagnir1@PASScomcast.net > wrote in message

> "Tom Smith" <dial4bux@adelphia.net> wrote
> > What kind of lamer is TheBeerStore? No Pete's Wicked Ale (America's
> finest
> > brew)
>
> Yikes. As much as I used to like Pete's, their taste has gone down
> dramatically. Aren't they now owned by a major manufacturer?
>

> > or any of the Samuel Smith's line (the world's finest brews.)
>
> I think you need to redefine "world." If they're exporting it to the U.S.,
> you've got to believe they've got better at home.
>
> Fred <~~~ globetrotter just back from the Oktoberfest

04 Oct 2004 14:11:01
Ratchet
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Fred Agnir wrote:
> "Ratchet" <ratchet@greenapple.com> wrote
>

>>Odouls really sucks bad, my choice of N/A is first Old Milwaukee or
>>Busch , I like the taste of beer in my faux brew !!
>

> I just had my first Alkohol Frei Loewenbraeu (Lowenbrau) whilst in Munich.
> Surprisingly very good taste. Malty and rich. I haven't had any other N/A
> that has come close. Except maybe another German import, Clausthaler. The
> Lowenbrau was better, IMO.
>
> Fred <~~~ not a big fan of german beers

Fred ,

Thanks for the heads up on the Clausthaler , I enjoyed the heads up on
it although I found my Ol' Mill much more to "my" liking after review
it is much smoother with a taste much similiar to my lite beeer days .
Thanks for allowing me to try it .

)) Ratchet ((

06 Oct 2004 07:00:59
David The Hamster Malone
Re: 4 days and counting !!

gideonf@earthlink.net (Gideon Forrest) wrote in message news:<a8455357.0410010950.444e7a21@posting.google.com >...

> In terms of good Ontario mircobrews, I would try:

Not sure what a mircobrew is, but I think as always you did a great
job in your summary, counsellor.

> (a) Almost anything from the Wellington County Brewery. They make an
> excellent Arkell's Best Bitter

Guilty as charged. My regular quoff when I fancy a light beer. Nice
dry understated bitter. My wife who used to drink Toby also likes this
one very much. I also like Conners Bitter which is a nice change of
pace (bottled in the old style stubbies, BTW).

> (b) The Black Oak Nut Brown Ale

Gideon introduced me to this (from his beer taps) a few years ago and
it's the nut brown I would recommend to Fred Agnir the next time he
visits if he hasn't already tried it. Amsterdam breweries makes a
similar nut brown ale but Black Oak is by far the best. Unfortunately
it's not widely available. Fortunately for me my local LCBO is one of
the few that carries it...

David "The Hamster" Malone.

06 Oct 2004 13:40:44
Gideon Forrest
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Tom Smith" <dial4bux@adelphia.net > wrote in message news:<H5ednX56PMUPIMbcRVn-hw@adelphia.com>...
> What kind of lamer is TheBeerStore? No Pete's Wicked Ale (America's finest
> brew) or any of the Samuel Smith's line (the world's finest brews.) If they
> didn't carry Newcastle Brown Ale, they'd have no excuse for remaining in
> business.
>
> Tom ---> If you can't chew it, it's bad beer.

Tom,

The Beer Store carries many, many good beers, including a vast
selection of fine Ontario microbrews. However, if you want most good
imports in Ontario, you have to go to the LCBO

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/ProductResultsController?ITEM_NAME=beer&ITEM_NUMBER=

Gideon

06 Oct 2004 16:29:38
Tom Smith
Re: 4 days and counting !!

Judging from the results I got from searching "beer" and "ale," it wouldn't
be hard to drop several beans at LCBO. I'd have to try "Millenium Buzz"
just for the name. Thanks for the link.

Tom

> Tom,
>
> The Beer Store carries many, many good beers, including a vast
> selection of fine Ontario microbrews. However, if you want most good
> imports in Ontario, you have to go to the LCBO

http://www.lcbo.com/lcbo-ear/ProductResultsController?ITEM_NAME=beer&ITEM_NUMBER=

> Gideon

07 Oct 2004 07:25:58
Gideon Forrest
Re: 4 days and counting !!

"Tom Smith" <dial4bux@adelphia.net > wrote in message news:<vf6dnRKZvNCOHfncRVn-hQ@adelphia.com>...
> Judging from the results I got from searching "beer" and "ale," it wouldn't
> be hard to drop several beans at LCBO. I'd have to try "Millenium Buzz"
> just for the name. Thanks for the link.

Just so you know, the LCBO is where you buy all your hard liquor in
Ontario (and it also sells beer and wine). There are hundreds of
locations, some of which are small and don't have a lot of selection.
There are a few huge locations that stock everything the LBCO carries.
So, if you are going to go shopping up here, make sure you pick the
right venue.

Gideon